Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 176534 times)

Online mikeyd23

Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #560 on: March 21, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »
I'm assuming they will play both -Human and No Leaf Clover, just because they were written specifically to be played with an orchestra.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: March 26, 2019, 06:33:42 PM »
Metallica appease fans with second "S&M2" show for fan club:

https://loudwire.com/metallica-second-sm2-show-fan-club-members/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: March 26, 2019, 08:18:07 PM »
That's pretty cool and reactive to what people were bitching about. 

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #563 on: March 27, 2019, 09:13:55 AM »
Super cool.

I'm a member of the fan club, maybe I'll have a shot at a ticket...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #564 on: March 27, 2019, 09:46:18 AM »
Yup, will definitely be trying for a ticket to this.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #566 on: May 08, 2019, 06:11:02 PM »
Well at least one Dane can play that song well  :loser:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #567 on: May 09, 2019, 01:31:41 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #568 on: May 09, 2019, 02:22:29 AM »
Funny that this thread is being bumped - I just saw Metallica last night  :metal

Monday sunny, Tuesday sunny, today sunny, yesterday rainy... screw my life. But a coworker that was meant to come with me got sick and she couldn't come - I guess that puts things into perspective.

It was a different way to experience a concert in the end - all wrapped up in antirain coats, no photos (but people had phones out anyway, at least for half a gig it didn't rain), a very dramatic atmosphere. I mean, I never ever want to stand in the rain again during a big concert, but it's something to tell about.

Also, it was the most MASSIVE concert I've seen. I've seen Iron Maiden and I've seen them in the same venue but the crowd was insanely big and we were all so pressed, and the stage set is the biggest I've ever seen. Bigger than the Big 4 tour, it was just gigantic.

This is the setlist - AFTER THE LINK I'LL DISCUSS SOME OF THE SONGS SO IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILER SKIP THE REST OF THE POST.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2019/ippodromo-del-galoppo-di-san-siro-milan-italy-2390f4af.html

All in all a good setlist, they change some songs here and there from show to show but the bulk is the same. I read online that they played Frantic, I'm glad I got St. Anger instead, the best song of that absymal album.  And hey, look at how they "apologized" for playing a St. Anger song - the four lethal attack of One + Master + Bells + Creeping Death was mindblowingly awesome  :metal

Creeping Death was apocalpytic - all red images on the maxi screens, and it was raining... wonderful experience!

I welcome setlist changes and I'm so, so glad that I got to hear Halo on Fire, but Lords of Summer as first encore? really? a b-side I bet not all people knew? it's the start of the encore, just take advantage of it and start with a song with an intro, such as Battery, Blackened, Fight Fire with Fire or, dunno, literally anything else. I mean, Ride the Lightning and Disposable Heroes get rotated between shows, but Lords of Summer is the fixed first encore. The hell.

Aside from that, great shows, I've seen many complaints online already but I didn't notice any big mistakes, just some double bass missing during One. James was good, some songs he was struggling a bit but all in all he gave a very good performance.

Also Ghost as openers were the icing on the cake, great energetic show from them, it makes up for not seeing them as headliners on this tour!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #569 on: May 09, 2019, 04:42:58 AM »
Awesome!  I love that they rotate songs in and out, and continually dig fairly deep into the vault for different songs to play. 

I've been watching the Seattle '89 and San Diego '92 DVD's a lot, after not having seen them for years.  That will always be 'my' Metallica, having gotten into them in 1991 or 1992.  They were absolutely ferocious back then, and I'm glad that they're still an amazing live band now.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #570 on: May 09, 2019, 04:53:36 AM »
Awesome!  I love that they rotate songs in and out, and continually dig fairly deep into the vault for different songs to play. 

Indeed! I would have never imagined that The God that Failed could have been in the set, but it's a nice grooving song and it came out really well. Also I got lucky in hearing The Memory Remains (didn't hear it at my previous 2011 concert) and especially Halo on Fire, they're not staples of the set.

Some songs also had different intros, such as The Unforgiven, and they tackled a fast and speedy reprise of the melody of The Memory Remains after the end rather than just finishing with the dadada part played by Kirk alone. And for the "let's play a song from the nation we're in" part of the show we got a kickass song (named El Diablo) from a great rock band, Litfiba, which was an excellent surprise. Last time around they played a song from Vasco Rossi who, while being very famous in Italy, is despised by basically everyone who isn't a fan and there was an uproar online  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #571 on: May 09, 2019, 05:31:13 AM »
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallicas-kirk-hammett-slips-on-his-wah-wah-pedal-falls-on-stage-in-milan-video/

No way...after being blamed worldwide for decades for over using wah wah!  :lol even the pedal itself is sick of him.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #572 on: May 09, 2019, 06:31:55 AM »
I didn't even notice it, to give an idea of what a mess it was  :lol (47.500 people present, italian record for Metallica!  :omg: )

But hey, it was raining a lot, it was only statistically possible that someone would slip over something.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #573 on: May 09, 2019, 06:43:38 AM »
I didn't even notice it, to give an idea of what a mess it was  :lol (47.500 people present, italian record for Metallica!  :omg: )

But hey, it was raining a lot, it was only statistically possible that someone would slip over something.

hahahaha but Kirk??? and specifically on his wah wah pedal? this is brilliant !

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #574 on: May 09, 2019, 07:12:15 AM »
Uh well, when you put it that way, I do see the irony  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: May 09, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »
I like how they are changing up the setlists, looks like this Euro leg is getting a good rotation of some deeper cuts.  Having said that, I'm not a fan of the song choices for that show last night.  I saw the video of the fall this morning, Kirk himself tweeted it which is pretty cool.  Also it looks like thats pretty much the same set up for the NA tour a couple years ago which was also massive.  Ghost as an opener is a huge + too.  Glad you had fun in the rain.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #576 on: May 09, 2019, 12:28:58 PM »
Thanks! well, given the realistic choices, I'm glad I got St. Anger instead of Frantic, and The Memory Remains. Out of The Thing that Should Not Be, The God that Failed and Disposable Heroes I would have loved this last one, but at least they played Ride the Lightning which my cousin loved and she never saw Metallica until yesterday, so I'm glad for her that  she got her favorite song at the very first attempt.

As I said my only complaint is about Lords of Summer... a b-side being 1) a staple 2) a mainstay of every gig is baffling. Other than that, being this my second Metallica gig ever in 8 years, I'm just happy to have gotten all in all a solid show  :D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: May 09, 2019, 12:36:46 PM »
I'm not a fan of LoS being an encore staple either.  I liked when they would rotate 80s album intros for the first encore song.  I got Blackened last fall and Fight Fire With Fire a couple years ago, I thought those were good choices.  LoS is just not even that good of a song IMO.  It's not bad, but it's more mid set type of song if they are going to play it IMO.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #578 on: May 09, 2019, 12:53:56 PM »
Yeah exactly! if at all, play it in the middle in place of St. Anger... everyone knows there's gonna be an encore, you're not fooling anyone, might as well take the chance and use a song that as an intro, to have the feel of the show restarting - I was bracing myself for exactly what you said, Blackened or Fight Fire with Fire, but no. Weird choice indeed.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #579 on: May 09, 2019, 07:13:46 PM »

I've been watching the Seattle '89 and San Diego '92 DVD's a lot, after not having seen them for years.  That will always be 'my' Metallica, having gotten into them in 1991 or 1992.  They were absolutely ferocious back then, and I'm glad that they're still an amazing live band now.

I know this seems completely insane...but would you believe that I went to BOTH nights that they recorded for that Seattle show........and I've still never watched it?     I never even owned Binge and Purge until a couple years ago when I inherited a VHS version from a friend who passed away.   But who watches VHS any more?  I'd have to find a player in a closet.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #580 on: May 10, 2019, 01:06:07 AM »
Yeah exactly! if at all, play it in the middle in place of St. Anger... everyone knows there's gonna be an encore, you're not fooling anyone, might as well take the chance and use a song that as an intro, to have the feel of the show restarting - I was bracing myself for exactly what you said, Blackened or Fight Fire with Fire, but no. Weird choice indeed.

Nooo please no. I might be the only one here with that opinion... but I absolutely love the St. Anger album. Including the snare drum! (not kidding)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: May 10, 2019, 01:10:35 AM »

"My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" ;)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #582 on: May 10, 2019, 01:18:03 AM »

Nooo please no. I might be the only one here with that opinion... but I absolutely love the St. Anger album. Including the snare drum! (not kidding)

I loathe St. Anger, but I have to admit the title track is good and hearing it live it was cool. Especially WITHOUT the snare drum sound  ;D

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #583 on: May 10, 2019, 05:24:33 AM »
I will always maintain that there are some killer riffs and in general just really solid raw materials on St. Anger. The songs just needed some more TLC as far as writing/editing, and obviously the production values are a shitshow.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #584 on: May 10, 2019, 07:13:52 AM »

"My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" ;)

I love that line, though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #585 on: May 10, 2019, 12:43:29 PM »
Frantic and St Anger are my least favorite songs on that album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #586 on: May 10, 2019, 01:58:51 PM »
Frantic and St Anger are my least favorite songs on that album.

The Unnamed Feeling is actually pretty good, even if it needs to be edited.

Honestly, if the album was edited quite a bit and given a re-recording, it wouldn't be bad.

and I wouldn't want the re-recording to have great sound. I think the bad raw sound added to the message of the album. I just think the writing needs a bit of a refinement.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #587 on: May 10, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »
Honestly, if the album was edited quite a bit and given a re-recording, it wouldn't be bad.

Well, someone did exactly that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h99nhdNnfm8

Online Adami

« Reply #588 on: May 10, 2019, 03:46:54 PM »

Well, someone did exactly that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h99nhdNnfm8

Yes, but the rest of my post addressed (perhaps poorly) why that isn't what I meant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online pg1067

« Reply #589 on: May 13, 2019, 11:03:43 AM »
But who watches VHS any more?  I'd have to find a player in a closet.

I have a VCR hooked up to my TV, and I still have a bunch of VHS tapes.  In the music category, they're things that either didn't get re-released on DVD or which I never got around to replacing.  The tape that I watch most frequently is this:

Never got re-released on DVD.

And, since this is a Metallica thread, I also still have this tape:

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: May 13, 2019, 11:49:20 AM »
Nice, I still have my Cliff Em All VHS too

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #591 on: July 02, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
Finally picked up the rerelease of AJFA.  Glad I did.  It's a shame to have not owned this album.  I now feel like my Metallica collection is "complete" in that I have all the albums I want to have, which is the run from RTL through the Black album.  So far, I listened to the original disk and the live disk.  I haven't yet visited the demos/rough mixes disk.

The original is as I remembered:  Great songwriting.  Bad production with no bass.  There was a lot about these songs that I had forgotten.  I'm glad to be able to revisit them now.  I am looking forward to the demos disk so I can get a flavor for the bass lines. 

The live disk doesn't do much for me.  It's cool to have.  But like Binge and Purge, it's just sped-up, sloppy live versions with mostly childish banter by James in between songs.  Cool to hear this, but not something I needed, and not something I will revisit very often.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #592 on: July 02, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »
I bought St. Anger for a $1.00 and free shipping, because it had the DVD as well.   

I'm listening to it now, and it's not as bad as I had expected.  I saw - and loved - "Some Kind Of Monster", so I get the backstory, and this isn't bad.  It's a little one-note and at 75+ minutes, listening to Lars bang on an empty oil barrel is a little monotonous, but it's not bad.  My biggest beef is with myself; I just don't share these emotions that much anymore, so it's a hurricane but I'm in my basement.  So to speak. 

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #593 on: July 02, 2019, 09:49:58 PM »
listening to Lars bang on an empty oil barrel is a little monotonous

Matt Smith of Theocracy did a hilarious parody of this way back in the day (before Theocracy was really a thing I suppose).  I'll have to see if I can find that somewhere.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #594 on: July 08, 2019, 12:05:33 AM »
listening to Lars bang on an empty oil barrel is a little monotonous

Matt Smith of Theocracy did a hilarious parody of this way back in the day (before Theocracy was really a thing I suppose).  I'll have to see if I can find that somewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_3ieuItPC0