Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 180085 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #875 on: June 10, 2020, 05:17:49 AM »
So, I'm sorry, it's a little hard to follow; if I wanted to see that stage set where it looks like the stage blows up, how can I do that?  Anything officially released that shows that or do I need to go "ROIO"?  What tour/legs was that?

That was the LOAD tour. 1996/1997

They put up a show of that last week.

Or just watch Cunning Stunts.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: June 12, 2020, 02:54:50 AM »
Kotowboy's Hot Take !!

I love playing drums to St. Anger. I honestly think his actual PLAYING on the album is his most creative and energetic. Even more so than And Justice For All.

Offline DTA

« Reply #877 on: June 12, 2020, 06:38:47 AM »
Kotowboy's Hot Take !!

I love playing drums to St. Anger. I honestly think his actual PLAYING on the album is his most creative and energetic. Even more so than And Justice For All.

Scalding hot take.

I think you may be the only person in the entire local star group to think that. His playing on St. Anger through Hardwired is the bare minimum a drummer should play (and it's all done rather sloppily) whereas the drumming on Justice has actual composition and thought put into it. St. Anger is just mindless bashing for 80 minutes though I haven't listened to it in many years and forgot a lot of it so maybe there's a few moments where there's mindless non-bashing going on.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #878 on: June 12, 2020, 06:41:27 AM »
Kotowboy's Hot Take !!

As a drummer, I'll actually agree that his playing (for him, specifically) is pretty creative and energetic, though less so than it would've been if James hadn't hammered into him to just play a beat most of the time.

But that's it. AJFA and Load/Reload are way more creative forms of drumming.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #879 on: June 12, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
Kotowboy's Hot Take !!

Scalding hot take.

I think you may be the only person in the entire local star group to think that. His playing on St. Anger through Hardwired is the bare minimum a drummer should play (and it's all done rather sloppily) whereas the drumming on Justice has actual composition and thought put into it. St. Anger is just mindless bashing for 80 minutes though I haven't listened to it in many years and forgot a lot of it so maybe there's a few moments where there's mindless non-bashing going on.

QFT

An equally hot take: I love playing along to the guitar solos on St Anger.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #880 on: June 12, 2020, 11:25:11 AM »
I have 2 unrelated points to make, but here's some background that is relevant to both:

Background:  I got into Metallica "late," a bit during the MOP album cycle, but mostly during the AJFA cycle.  I pretty much love most of the run from Ride through (and including) the Black album.  I bought Load and thought some of it was good.  But I really lost interest after that.  I bought DM and thought it was "good."  And I like bits of Hardwired.  With that in mind:

1.  I never heard Saint Anger until a few years ago.  I had lost interest by the time it came out, so I didn't gravitate toward it anyway.  All the negative feedback about it certainly didn't help.  But I was watching/listening to SKOM a few years ago in the background while doing something else.  And then Saint Anger (entire album) came up and started playing afterward.  I was busy, so wasn't focusing directly on it, and didn't realize what it was.  But I found myself liking it.  And when I finally went to go check and see what it was, I was pleasantly surprised.  So all that to say:  My exposure to St. Anger was WAY after the fact, and when I listened to it, I actually found myself liking it.

2.  I watched that Salt Lake City show the other day, and it just reminded me that, in general, I find the latter half of the '90s Metallica to be just kinda icky.  It's not just the music--I think some of it has actually aged decently, and I find myself more open to some of it than I was at the time.  But just the whole attitude and atmosphere surrounding the band...  It just isn't appealing to me at all.  When I watch their early shows, they have that anger and fire.  But it is focused and directed, and there also seems to be an underlying joy in what they are doing as musicians.  In the late-'90s, the joy looks like it is missing, and the anger is just a dark cloud that feels like it is coming from places I don't really want to go as a fan.  The recent shows I have seen are different.  The anger and aggression of the early days is...somewhat back, but in more of a nostalgic sense.  Yeah, maybe it's a bit contrived.  But it's more, "this is our identity, and even though we aren't necessarily feeling what we did back then, we're now at a place where we understand that that's ok, and where we also understand where we were back then enough to tap into it and give the fans some of what they want."  And the JOY seems to be at an all-time high.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: June 12, 2020, 11:40:11 AM »
The drumming on St. Anger - to me - sounds like someone who is overjoyed that he still has a band. As well as letting out all the frustration of the last couple of years.

The drumming on Death Magnetic - by comparison - sounds tired and underwhelming. Like he keeps trying to play like it's 1988 still but he can't do it anymore.

Finally I think his playing on Hardwired To Self Destruct is back to his black album style of supporting the song and not getting in the way.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #882 on: June 12, 2020, 03:38:14 PM »
St Anger is just a fascinating album to dissect because almost nothing really 'works'. That's not to say it's just all out terrible, I think there's redeeming riffs and melodies and ideas but the overall result is just such a mess. Like the songs themselves are very simple and have that 'intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-outro' type structure yet most of the songs are stretched to almost twice as long as the 'content' of the song justifies. And if you are fine with the repetitiveness of the album and get past that element of it, you have drums that sound like oil barrels and some nu metal influences (which seems very out of place now) and one of the better examples of the whole 'loudness war' I think.

Then again it's fascinating that Metallica almost managed to wipe away the stain left by St Anger as a 'meme'-album by making Lulu with Lou Reed which you could argue people hated even more.

I should give Reload some more spins because Load is up there with their best albums for me, though Reload hasn't quite hit the same way. Garage Inc has some good covers on it though and S&M is a good live album IMO. I think 90s Metallica gets a lot of unfair criticism, to me they had a pretty solid 90s all things considered. They broadened their sound and tried some new things. Compared to the 00s which gave us St Anger and Death Magnetic and the '10s which only gave us 1 album (2 if you count Lulu), I think their 90s is easily their 2nd best decade after the 80s.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: June 12, 2020, 05:08:12 PM »
The thing I hate about Reload is when people say it was " all the leftovers " - when in reality - all 27 songs for Load and Reload were written and recorded at the same time...

The 14 songs on LOAD were the 14 most completed songs at the time the album was due. Then they went out on tour.

When they came back to finish off Reload - they just added more to it. Hence why it sounds a bit fuller than LOAD. All the drums on Reload were recorded at the same time as LOAD.

So yeah.

Also - I firmly believe that if the 13 songs on Reload were finished first and came out as LOAD - people would enjoy it way more.

Reload is heavier - faster and catchier than Load in my opinion. It's not a HUGE change from METALLICA.

Plus it has absolute gems like

Fuel
Memory Remains
Devils Dance
Unforgiven 2
Carpe Diem Baby
Where the Wild Things Are
Fixxxer

-----------

Finally - I also believe that Reload's 'lows' are still better than Loads 'lows'.   For Example : Slither is still better than Poor Twisted Me. Load is incredibly front loaded. The 2nd half has Wasting My hate

and Outlaw. Whilst Reload's second half has all the cool experimental weird stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #884 on: June 12, 2020, 05:30:41 PM »
Reload is absolutely terrible. Other than Fuel, there's not one song that would make any kind of Metallica playlist for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: June 12, 2020, 05:32:38 PM »
I disagree entirely. I dont give a rats arse if its not And Justice For All.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #886 on: June 12, 2020, 05:39:49 PM »
I disagree entirely. I dont give a rats arse if its not And Justice For All.

It's amazing how we (the collective "we", not me and you) have these conversations where two people have such diametrically opposed viewpoints on albums.

I do like Load well enough, and consider The Outlaw Torn one of their coolest songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #887 on: June 13, 2020, 05:22:28 AM »
I don't really like Fuel or The Memory Remains which probably hurts my thoughts on Reload a bit but I remember liking the rest more. Fixxxer especially.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #888 on: June 13, 2020, 05:44:56 AM »
Reload has potentially the best songs of the bunch (Unforgiven II which is surprisingly great considering how cheap and gimmicky the title seemed to be, Fixxxer, and yes, The Memory Remains, sue me), but has the biggest lows.

On Load they could have gotten rid of Cure, Poor Twisted Me and Ronnie, even removing two of the three would have made for a better and more concise album. On Reload I find Better than You, Slither, Bad Seed and Attitude absolutely horrible, and the only redeeming factor of Prince Charming is a ripoff of the chords of Creeping Death. And I happen by chance to like Carpe Diem Baby, but it's not that I'm gonna chase every fan who loathes that song to change their mind, I can see why they'd dislike it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: June 13, 2020, 05:47:16 AM »
Reload has potentially the best songs of the bunch (Unforgiven II which is surprisingly great considering how cheap and gimmicky the title seemed to be, Fixxxer, and yes, The Memory Remains, sue me), but has the biggest lows.

Never free
Never me
It's the Unforgiven III
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #890 on: June 13, 2020, 05:50:25 AM »
Totally lost occasion on Death Magnetic with that one  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: June 14, 2020, 09:05:07 AM »
They can make up for it with The Un4gIVen. 😄😄

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #892 on: June 14, 2020, 09:17:40 AM »
What I've felt, what I've known
Made me unforgiven four

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: June 14, 2020, 03:01:49 PM »
Nah it'll be :

" Never free, never me

So I dub thee Un Four Given "

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: June 17, 2020, 12:05:51 AM »
At the official Metallica poll, they've got going on fb & Instagram, NEM beat Harvester and Fade beat Creep.
I don't understand the world..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #895 on: June 17, 2020, 01:29:36 AM »
At the official Metallica poll, they've got going on fb & Instagram, NEM beat Harvester and Fade beat Creep.

You don’t understand why two ballads, specifically concocted to be likeable by the largest % of people possible beat out a couple of crusty old thrash songs?  :angel:

All kidding aside, I never much cared for Harvester, it’s long and boring (and this is coming from a DT fan  :P). I’d put it towards the bottom of AJFA.

And as much as I love Creeping Death; Fade to Black just might be the all around greatest song ‘tallica ever wrote.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #896 on: June 17, 2020, 05:05:05 AM »
I have generally been skipping Harvester since 1988.

Offline Adami

« Reply #897 on: June 17, 2020, 05:08:52 AM »
Harvester is awesome. Ya’ll nuts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #898 on: June 17, 2020, 05:19:09 AM »

You don’t understand why two ballads, specifically concocted to be likeable by the largest % of people possible beat out a couple of crusty old thrash songs?  :angel:

But Creeping Death is one of the most famous Metallica songs! I'm not surprised that the universally known Nothing Else Matters wins over a song from a complex album, but I thought Creeping Death could resist against Fade to Black. But then again, FtB is an awesome ballad.

Who cares, it's only our Metallica League currently running in the Polls section that matters  ;D

For anybody who doesn't take part, we have, after 24 full rounds and the 25th and final going on:

- Creeping Death in the lead with a clean score (24-0), shared with Blackened, Master and One
- Fade to Black at the 6th place (22-1-1), shared with Sanitarium and Disposable Heroes
- Harvester of Sorrow at the 16th place (20-4), shared with Enter Sandman and Wherever I May Roam
- Nothing Else Matters at the 35th place (16-7-1), shared with Eye of the Beholder and The Thing that Shoud Not Be

Offline dparrott

« Reply #899 on: June 17, 2020, 08:40:28 AM »
Harvester is awesome. Ya’ll nuts.
One of my favorites.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #900 on: June 17, 2020, 10:08:55 AM »
Harvester of Sorrow is a badass song title and a great song. One of the best on AJFA.

Nothing Else Matters to me is like Run to the Hills where I only think casual fans would rank it high. Anyone who is into the band and has heard more than 5 songs most likely wont have it close to the top.

Offline Adami

« Reply #901 on: June 17, 2020, 10:17:25 AM »
Harvester of Sorrow is a badass song title and a great song. One of the best on AJFA.

Nothing Else Matters to me is like Run to the Hills where I only think casual fans would rank it high. Anyone who is into the band and has heard more than 5 songs most likely wont have it close to the top.

Indeed, but I would James' solo really high. That's just a beautiful thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: June 17, 2020, 10:39:14 AM »
"Harvester of Sorrow"

Just makes me think of " Tractor of Torment " or " Plough of Pain "   ;D ;D

Also - Lars has confirmed they have taken baby steps towards writing the new album by exchanging ideas over the internet. And are trying to figure out how to write songs online.

tbh that's good news - and i'd much rather they were thinking about another album - rather than planning 100 more dates.

If I was an Aussie - or whoever missed out on the Hardwired tour - I'd be able to wait another year or so if it meant we got a new album debuted live at the same time.

I'm still hoping for late 2021 ( if they manage to write the bulk of it online and just go to HQ as soon as they are able and hash it out. *** ) But Early 2022 is aceptable. That's still a little over 5 years

from Hardwired To Self Destruct. And No I don't think it will take 8 years again. They had like 3 or 4 side projects the last time and the album was not their focus. This time it is.

*** Once the actual writing for Hardwired was complete - the actual album took just over a year to actually record from start to finish. It's just that they take ages to write.

They're like U2 - they agonise over the lyrics and arrangements - but once they press record - they get it done fairly quickly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #903 on: June 17, 2020, 10:42:38 AM »

Well - and I mean this sincerely, because I think it's probably most accurate - I must be a casual fan then, because I LOVE "Nothing Else Matters".   I also don't get the sanctity that RTL and MOP get, though, so there's that.  I think they are good records, but I think Metallica was getting progressively better on each album, and reached different pinnacles with AJFA and TBA.   I think they were both achievements in their own right, and I find it fascinating that those are back-to-back in the catalogue when you consider what came before. 

Offline Volante99

« Reply #904 on: June 22, 2020, 06:14:51 PM »
Anybody watching this Buenos Aires show tonight?

Hetfield sounds decent. Lars sounds extra...energetic. He’s either feeding off the crowd or the coke was extra good in Argentina that night.

Offline Adami

« Reply #905 on: June 22, 2020, 06:19:47 PM »
It's like 2008, right?

Not their best era, if I remember correctly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #906 on: June 22, 2020, 07:03:25 PM »
Oh man, it's so nice to hear Fade to Black with James on a clean channel and not an acoustic guitar. I miss it so.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #907 on: June 22, 2020, 07:30:33 PM »
Might be one of the best setlists I’ve ever seen from them. Lightning, Devil’s Dance, Bleeding Me and Justice?? Damn

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #908 on: June 22, 2020, 08:58:09 PM »
Controversial opinion: I have never been impressed with Metallica live. They always sound sloppy as hell. James is on point with the rhythm, but then you have Lars and Kirk. Rob isn't that audible so he gets a pass, but Lars' horrendous drumming... I know it's a dead horse, but for fucks sake.  Not gonna fault James for his voice. Shit happens. Is it an experience thing? They aren't very good live, but it's the experience, man. She's obviously lip syncing, but who cares? They're putting on a great show! Ugh. Anyway, yeah, not a fan of Metallica live.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #909 on: June 22, 2020, 10:34:23 PM »
Controversial opinion: I have never been impressed with Metallica live. They always sound sloppy as hell. James is on point with the rhythm, but then you have Lars and Kirk. Rob isn't that audible so he gets a pass, but Lars' horrendous drumming... I know it's a dead horse, but for fucks sake.  Not gonna fault James for his voice. Shit happens. Is it an experience thing? They aren't very good live, but it's the experience, man. She's obviously lip syncing, but who cares? They're putting on a great show! Ugh. Anyway, yeah, not a fan of Metallica live.

Definitely controversial, as they're one of my top three live bands along with Halestorm and Sum 41.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask