Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 179695 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #700 on: January 25, 2020, 07:29:13 PM »
You couldn’t hear the orchestra on the first S&M? It’s rather loud. If anything, the guitars are quiet.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #701 on: January 25, 2020, 08:34:16 PM »
You couldn’t hear the orchestra on the first S&M? It’s rather loud. If anything, the guitars are quiet.

I'm talking about when they played at New York Shitty in 1999 with the orchestra. I really don't recall hearing it that well if at all.

The only time I listened to the live album was actually on the plane ride home (I was visiting my family for Thanksgiving break & my sister took me to the concert). On the way home, I happened to be sitting next to a dude who had the CD and he let me give it a listen.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #702 on: January 26, 2020, 10:57:43 AM »
That's fucking hilarious. Who is the guy above Hopkins?

I don't know who either of the top row guys are.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #703 on: January 26, 2020, 11:08:08 AM »

The other guy is from that motorcycle reality show. The one about the mechanics.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #704 on: January 26, 2020, 02:22:25 PM »

The other guy is from that motorcycle reality show. The one about the mechanics.

Ummm....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: March 24, 2020, 07:06:24 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/metallica_speaks_up_on_coronavirus_pandemic_starts_streaming_complete_live_show_from_archive_every_monday.html

"The band has launched a new online series called #MetallicaMondays, where they will stream a live show every Monday".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #706 on: March 24, 2020, 07:14:16 AM »
Damn, I wish I knew that last night. That Ireland show is amazing!

A very cool thing they are doing. As usual.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #707 on: March 24, 2020, 07:16:38 AM »
Damn, I wish I knew that last night. That Ireland show is amazing!

A very cool thing they are doing. As usual.
you can still watch it now though, it's archived on their YT channel (as will be any show they'll stream from now on, I would guess)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #708 on: March 24, 2020, 07:17:54 AM »
Oh, OK, cool!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #709 on: March 24, 2020, 07:54:32 AM »
Yea, Metallica mondays seem like a great idea.

This might sound spoiled of me, but I hope we get a wide variety of concerts and not just from the last 5-10 years. I'd love a random 90's show or something to show up too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #710 on: March 24, 2020, 02:47:37 PM »
Watching right now. After all these years I tend to forget, but James has the stage presence of a mythological creature. Uncanny.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #711 on: March 24, 2020, 03:49:12 PM »
I'll take pre-Load shows and very quickly pass on anything between '96 and '00.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Adami

« Reply #712 on: March 24, 2020, 04:03:03 PM »

Oh shush. The load era shows were awesome. But I’ll take all of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: March 24, 2020, 05:48:52 PM »
I'd love to see older shows too but did they use to record everything like they do now?  I'd imagine we get shows mostly from the last few years, but would love variety.  Personally hoping for the two shows I went to for selfish reasons.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #714 on: March 24, 2020, 08:03:41 PM »

Oh shush. The load era shows were awesome. But I’ll take all of it.

Imo, h*ck no. James' voice was close to the worst it would ever be, it was the debut of playing their 80s stuff in Eb, they were the most Load-heavy setlists we'd ever witness (understandably since it was the new album but it still is a huge drawback for me), and I'm not a drummer but it seemed like Lars began dumbing down some of his beats which has seemingly continued to this day.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Adami

« Reply #715 on: March 24, 2020, 08:06:45 PM »
The Eb thing doesn’t bug me. And Lars started oversimplifying his parts the first time he ever played them live.

And I like the load albums. So featuring them heavily is fine to mix in with modern sets which are mostly first 5 albums anyway. Not saying exclusively do 90s era shows, but 2-3 would be nice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #716 on: March 25, 2020, 12:03:55 AM »
Imo, h*ck no. James' voice was close to the worst it would ever be
It depends a lot on which song he's singing. If you're talking about songs like Creeping Death well, yes, you're right. But if you're talking about Load songs he sounds incredibly good.

Also, singing a Metallica setlist must be a pain in the ass. One moment you need to sound really deep and melodic like, as in Bleeding Me, and 10 minutes later you have to be screaming your lungs out in Metal Militia. And all the things in between.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #717 on: March 25, 2020, 04:33:06 AM »
In my opinion, James is the greatest musician in the whole band. Singing that well and playing those fast, precise riffs at the same time - the dude is unreal. I also think he is actually a better guitarist than Kirk. Although that is hard to say because James is a rhythm player, while Kirk is a soloist. But while Kirk tends to simplify and rush over his solos, James playing is still 100% precise and awesome to this day.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: March 25, 2020, 06:23:34 AM »
The Metallica mondays thing is pretty cool. I agree that James is the greatest musician in the band, I remember going down the rabbit hole of crappy lars drum videos and came across a video of James playing drums, he was actually pretty damn good.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #719 on: March 25, 2020, 04:50:40 PM »
In my opinion, James is the greatest musician in the whole band. Singing that well and playing those fast, precise riffs at the same time - the dude is unreal. I also think he is actually a better guitarist than Kirk. Although that is hard to say because James is a rhythm player, while Kirk is a soloist. But while Kirk tends to simplify and rush over his solos, James playing is still 100% precise and awesome to this day.

This. He’s also a pretty decent drummer when he’s noodling around.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #720 on: March 25, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »
Watching a show on Randy Johnson on MLB right now, and it's being narrated by James Hetfield.

In the first scene, he's now a photographer taking pictures at a Rush show.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #721 on: March 25, 2020, 08:41:19 PM »
I thought I'd chime in a little.

I agree that James' singing was not the greatest in the 90's.  I also agree that James is the greatest musician in the band and one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, metal song writers who has ever lived.  And besides the drums, he also plays the piano/keyboards.

I do have to give Lars and Kirk a little love though.  I really don't think Metallica would be Metallica without Lars.  He has a very signature and easily recognizable style.  Plus he is really good at helping James arrange the songs.  And he's even written some really good riffs that have been used in some of their songs.

Kirk may not have the technicality that has become more common in metal lead guitarists, but I really like his solo style.  It's almost like singing, but I'm not sure that's the right way to put it.  And he's written some of Metallica's best riffs.

And...  Load and Reload are awesome albums :)
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #722 on: March 25, 2020, 08:47:58 PM »
You had me up until that last line.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #723 on: March 25, 2020, 09:15:43 PM »
You had me up until that last line.

:rollin
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #724 on: March 26, 2020, 02:50:05 AM »
I feel like Reload perhaps got the shaft of having the weaker batch of songs from the Load/Reload sessions (with a few good ones still) but I would consider Load to be great. It has several good singles like Until it Sleeps and King Nothing, but also it has some of their best long songs like Outlaw Torn and Bleeding Me. Would easily rank Load above Black Album for example.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #725 on: March 26, 2020, 03:07:45 AM »
It should have been shorter and more concise, if, say, Poor Twisted Me and Cure were released as B-Sides or outtakes and taken off the album (or, dunno, Ronnie), I'm sure not many people would have said "oh Load should have had those songs".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #726 on: March 26, 2020, 06:19:30 AM »
It should have been shorter and more concise, if, say, Poor Twisted Me and Cure were released as B-Sides or outtakes and taken off the album (or, dunno, Ronnie), I'm sure not many people would have said "oh Load should have had those songs".

But didn't we get a whole album of outtakes?

I actually don't really have a problem with Load. There's like 3 or 4 songs I'd chop off, but I think there's a quality record in there.

But Reload? Other than Fuel, there's just nothing there.

Online Adami

« Reply #727 on: March 26, 2020, 06:22:07 AM »
ReLoad has Devil's Dance, Unforgiven II, Where the Wild Things Are, Low Man's Lyric, and Fixxxer. All fantastic songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #728 on: March 26, 2020, 06:24:37 AM »
ReLoad has Devil's Dance, Unforgiven II, Where the Wild Things Are, Low Man's Lyric, and Fixxxer. All fantastic songs.

We've had this conversation before...

Online Adami

« Reply #729 on: March 26, 2020, 06:26:03 AM »

Oh good, so I can assume you've seen the error of your ways and agree with me. Carry on.  ;D
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #730 on: March 26, 2020, 07:29:39 AM »

Oh good, so I can assume you've seen the error of your ways and agree with me. Carry on.  ;D

Nope. It's called avoiding a brick wall.

Online Adami

« Reply #731 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:59 AM »

Nope. It's called avoiding a brick wall.

Alrighty. Sorry? Not a great feeling being called a brick wall, but I guess it's my cue to back off.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:00:52 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #732 on: March 26, 2020, 08:09:31 AM »
It's cool, bro. Just an expression that we will not change each other's minds on the subject.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #733 on: March 26, 2020, 11:24:22 AM »

I’m with you man, don’t forget Carpe Diem Baby!

I find myself liking both of those albums equally these days.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #734 on: March 26, 2020, 02:30:39 PM »
Prince Charming is easily better than half the songs on Load too.