Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 179670 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #630 on: September 10, 2019, 01:41:46 PM »
Looks like there are a few seats left at a theater near me, I think I'm going to snag one up.

Online faizoff

« Reply #631 on: September 27, 2019, 06:21:35 PM »
Apparently, James Hetfield is entering Rehab and the rest of their tour is canceled/postponed. Sucks for those in NZ and AUS.

Hopefully, James is able to pull out of this. Was just listening to Master of Puppets after such a long time last night.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: September 27, 2019, 07:01:59 PM »
Wow that really sucks, hope he gets well soon.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #633 on: September 27, 2019, 07:16:22 PM »
Oh wow, that's big news. Bummer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NoFred

« Reply #634 on: September 27, 2019, 09:41:09 PM »
Damn that notice sucked coming from the other three, he’s already in. My most relatable personality from the band, glad he’s doing something and not nothing.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #635 on: September 27, 2019, 10:44:49 PM »
Rehab for what?  I thought all that stuff was behind him?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #636 on: September 28, 2019, 01:50:38 AM »

According to the band's official statement he's been "on and off" rather than completely clean. Apparently it's just now to the point he has to take rehab again.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: September 28, 2019, 03:36:51 AM »
I haven't followed their behind the scenes stuff for some time.  Is it mainly alcohol he struggles with or drugs too?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #638 on: September 28, 2019, 05:17:09 AM »

From what I understand about addiction, it is never truly behind you.

Terrible news, I hope James has the strength to kick the habit, hopefully for good.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #639 on: September 28, 2019, 09:59:01 AM »
I haven't followed their behind the scenes stuff for some time.  Is it mainly alcohol he struggles with or drugs too?

Just alcohol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: September 29, 2019, 04:55:42 AM »

Just alcohol

I thought that was the case.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #641 on: September 30, 2019, 08:34:16 AM »
This is horrible news, when I found out, it felt like a gut punch. Praying for James, his family, and his health. Addiction is a serious disease, James should take all the time he needs.

According to the band's official statement he's been "on and off" rather than completely clean. Apparently it's just now to the point he has to take rehab again.

This is not what they said at all. They said he's struggled on and off with addiction. They didn't say he's on and off being clean. As of 2017, when James was on Rogan he talked openly about being completely clean since the St. Anger days when he went to rehab the first time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #642 on: September 30, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »
I don't really know how to say this without sounding more insensitive than I am (and I don't think I am at all), and I'm certainly not pointing at MikeyD here (he's just relating what he's heard) but even that clarification is a head-scratcher.  I'm chalking it up to Metallica being tight-lipped and this is none of our business other than the cancellation of shows.

It's my experience that addiction is not "on" and "off" in any sense of the words.  You're an addict, and you deal with that appropriately.  You might have moments of sobriety and moments where you're not, but for someone that accepts that it's a problem, that's sort of the paradigm you work with.   Having said that, there are many famous instances of people needing to refresh, or to deal with new challenges that life throws at you.  I think the big takeaway is that he's getting the help he feels he needs, and that's the most important thing.   There are too many instances of the machine chewing up and spitting out artists, and I think it goes without saying that a healthy James is the optimal outcome.   

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #643 on: September 30, 2019, 09:03:05 AM »
This is the official statement:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallicas-james-hetfield-re-enters-rehab-for-addiction-australia-new-zealand-tour-postponed/

"As most of you probably know, our brother James has been struggling with addiction on and off for many years. He has now, unfortunately, had to re-enter a treatment program to work on his recovery again."

All they're saying is that James has had past struggles and he's now back in rehab.  No need to pick the sentence apart.  Kudos to James for taking the time he needs to get healthy again. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #644 on: September 30, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »
Not picking anything apart. I'm just pointing out there was nothing in that statement to say that James hasn't been completely clean since he left rehab the first time. We don't know. For all we know he checked himself back into rehab for a pro-active reason before something bad happened. Or the opposite could be true and maybe he's been drinking again for years and hiding it.

We don't know. I was just clarifying that we don't know.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #645 on: September 30, 2019, 11:25:43 AM »
Praying for a speedy recovery for James, hope he takes all the time he needs. He’s my hero and I need him in top form. I hope his family goes easy on him, I know his wife has been to hell and back helping him straighten his life out.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: October 04, 2019, 08:02:36 AM »
Pro-shot snippet of 'The Memory Remains' from S&M2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx57w3gSXrg
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #647 on: October 04, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »

:metal :metal :metal

Looks and sounds killer. I'll be hitting up a theater near me next week to watch the film, for sure.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #648 on: October 04, 2019, 10:52:24 AM »
Honestly, the only song in the S&M2 setlist that intrigues me is Anesthesia performed on the upright bass by a member of the orchestra, but I can check this out on YT.  The lack of any different pre-Black Album material from S&M1 makes this an easy pass.

P.S.  This is a REALLY great article about the performance of Anesthesia -- https://ultimateclassicrock.com/cliff-burton-anesthesia-symphony-scott-pingel-interview/?fbclid=IwAR2-TWx_ZhdJ6HXzYed5cVomWoOjZSkGxyM8GHW3vC4zm_UJd0dVQF-2ihI

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 11:10:55 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: October 04, 2019, 11:38:14 AM »

:metal :metal :metal

Looks and sounds killer. I'll be hitting up a theater near me next week to watch the film, for sure.

James looks a bit funny with that hair but yea, awesome clip!  Hope this makes it to blu-ray

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #650 on: October 04, 2019, 12:17:06 PM »

Wow, that's pretty incredible.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: October 04, 2019, 12:27:51 PM »
James is cool as shit.  He could wear this and look cool:

I love Lars' faces when he plays.  He always looks like one of those women at the very end of a marathon that can't really run anymore and has likely shit herself, but is striving for that finish line...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #652 on: October 04, 2019, 12:30:08 PM »

I love Lars' faces when he plays.  He always looks like one of those women at the very end of a marathon that can't really run anymore and has likely shit herself, but is striving for that finish line...

So true. Playing drums as simply as he does makes me so bored I fall asleep. The fact that he can make it seem super intense and difficult is, itself, impressive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online DTA

« Reply #653 on: October 04, 2019, 12:39:56 PM »

So true. Playing drums as simply as he does makes me so bored I fall asleep. The fact that he can make it seem super intense and difficult is, itself, impressive.

I’m sometimes amazed at just how instinctively horrible his fill placement is. So many of his parts on the albums are interesting and fit the music but he butchers them so incredibly live. It’s honestly fascinating. I love Lars but it’s like his memory was erased sometime around 2002 and all knowledge of how to play the instrument just evaporated.

The memory doesn’t remain I guess?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #654 on: October 04, 2019, 01:22:36 PM »
Even when Metallica was at their peak (RTL, MOP) I always felt that Lars was extremely talented at only one thing....doing a fill because he lost his place, and then landing back on beat perfectly, which makes the aforementioned fill sound completely intentional. Like a gymnast who makes a mistake, but sticks the landing and says “TA DA!”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: October 04, 2019, 02:32:10 PM »
I suppose I have to go see them to know, but I didn't post what I did to rag on his playing, I did it because I find his faces to be amusing.

I've only seen live clips or TV appearances, and I sometimes wonder what the fuss is about.  No, he's not Peart or Portnoy, but who is?   AC/DC is a legendary band with Phil Rudd behind the kit, and they mostly blow without him, but I could play virtually any AC/DC song from 1976 to 1983.    I saw Metallica - with Lars - destroy the set on the Jools Holland show; must've been a lucky night.   How do they tour arenas and stadia if he blows so bad? 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #656 on: October 04, 2019, 03:05:53 PM »
I suppose I have to go see them to know, but I didn't post what I did to rag on his playing, I did it because I find his faces to be amusing.

I've only seen live clips or TV appearances, and I sometimes wonder what the fuss is about.  No, he's not Peart or Portnoy, but who is?   AC/DC is a legendary band with Phil Rudd behind the kit, and they mostly blow without him, but I could play virtually any AC/DC song from 1976 to 1983.    I saw Metallica - with Lars - destroy the set on the Jools Holland show; must've been a lucky night.   How do they tour arenas and stadia if he blows so bad?

It's because the majority of the crowds are really there to hear them play the songs that they know and love.  I highly doubt most of the crowds are really invested on how Lars plays as long as he can still steer the ship in a somewhat coherent fashion in the rhythm section.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #657 on: October 04, 2019, 03:21:56 PM »
I know about drums the same that third millennium nazis know about history, and to me Lars' playing was just fine. But I did notice less double bass on One.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #658 on: October 07, 2019, 09:52:14 AM »

Two points - (1) it's really not that bad and it gets overblown online, surprise, surprise. (2) Metallica has managed to do what most metal bands don't - they have developed a fan base beyond musicians. Most metal shows I go to, the majority of the fans play an instrument themselves and therefore are much more critical of musicians. Metallica's fan base has developed and grown waaaay past the typical metalhead musician guys to a mass audience that doesn't pick up on things that Lars might miss live. Therefore, it's not a big if he does miss some things.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #659 on: October 07, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
Metallica has managed to do what most metal bands don't - they have developed a fan base beyond musicians. Most metal shows I go to, the majority of the fans play an instrument themselves

Interesting.

Not saying you're wrong, but the overwhelming majority of metal fans I have known over the past 35 years or so were not musicians.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #660 on: October 07, 2019, 02:18:00 PM »
Metallica has managed to do what most metal bands don't - they have developed a fan base beyond musicians. Most metal shows I go to, the majority of the fans play an instrument themselves

Interesting.

Not saying you're wrong, but the overwhelming majority of metal fans I have known over the past 35 years or so were not musicians.

I might be totally wrong, your mileage will vary. That's my experience though, most people I know who are into metal have some sort of experience playing guitar or bass or drums or something.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: October 08, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
Other than prog concerts, I don't believe most concert attendees from my experience have any music skill.  That includes myself.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #662 on: October 09, 2019, 02:01:43 PM »
I'm back from watching S&M 2. Short version: well worth it.

There has been some grumbling about the setlist, but I actually thought it was mostly good. I like how all of their studio albums were present and there was a nice amount of variety. Two songs I would've changed: The Memory Remains sounded off, almost like no one was sure about the tempo plus it doesn't mesh with the orchestra that well. It was fun though how the audience kept singing long after the song was over. I would've replaced it with Carpe Diem Baby or FiXXXer. And Wherever I May Roam, it was played the first time and isn't really a mandatory live song, also it sounded kind of vanilla after the great take on Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth). Something more intense would've been a better fit there, Harvester of Sorrow perhaps? And of course, there's a couple of glaring omissions such as Fade to Black and Orion but overall I was happy with the set.

Highlight for me was The Outlaw Torn. I understand now better why they might not want to play it all that often (its intimacy and length might not translate well in a normal set) but this was a perfect occasion for it and they did it real justice. I also loved how they followed it with No Leaf Clover. The Call of Ktulu sounds amazing with the orchestra and I'm glad they kept it from the first S&M. The newer songs worked fine too, Confusion was apparently the most baffling choice, but I personally like the song and it rocked, it actually had probably the least involvement from the orchestra.

The second half started very interestingly, I think orchestral pieces were an interesting addition, even though the second one was a bit too discordant to my liking. The Unforgiven III was probably the second biggest highlight, I have never really cared about that song but the orchestral treatment was very emotive and James sounded very good (like he did all evening, I was actually surprised how much grit he still has). I'll be definitely revisiting this version. All Within My Hands was the acoustic version and I'm a bit torn about it, slower parts were stunning but the heavier bits sounded a bit silly. Maybe they should've played at least the bridge with distortion? Anyway, I'm happy it was included, even without KILL KILL KILL  :biggrin:. I mentioned Anesthesia before, but it's well worth checking out. I had never heard distorted contrabass before. Rest of the set was classics and aside from Roam I think they have earned their place, even though I have had lifetime supply of Enter Sandman.

And yes, because it is Metallica show, Lars loses his timing a few times and Kirk's solos sound pretty much the same. We've all used to it already. But the band looked like they were definitely having fun, orchestral arrangements worked well and the selection of songs was cool. If you read this far, I do encourage you check at least some of it out.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 02:16:01 PM by Ruba »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: October 09, 2019, 02:07:44 PM »
Any word about a blu-ray release?  I'd totally buy it, but I had little interest in going to a theater to see this.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #664 on: October 09, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »
Any word about a blu-ray release?  I'd totally buy it, but I had little interest in going to a theater to see this.

I don't know, but I doubt they filmed the thing professionally just to show it in theaters.