Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 176589 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #525 on: March 18, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
I know it's a Metallica show, but in cases like this, we don't need Battery. We DO need songs like Unforgiven (either of them) or Fade to Black.

Battery is actually my favorite performance on the original S&M, mainly because of how the intro is arranged. I do agree that an orchestra would definitely do justice to the Unforgivens and Fade to Black as well.

The intro is cool, totally. But that's about it. There's a few other songs that definitely didn't benefit from the symphony, and outside of the intro, Battery was one of them. You can just feel the "Uhhhh I dunno what to do here" that Kamen felt for much of that song.

Also, if they're doing new songs, I hope whoever they got is as good as Kamen. What that man did to that show was genius. Just compare it to the work done with DT. Night and day.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: March 18, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »
Yea, I agree, the orchestration on S&M was sooooo much better than any of the bands who tried to follow with similar concerts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #527 on: March 18, 2019, 01:37:00 PM »
Wow, this is VERY cool!  It's kind of silly that a band this big has NOT had more of a connection with SF Bay Area sports up until now.  Sports fans have been talking about something like this for ages.  Cool that they are going to combine it with the anniversary of such a landmark performance that helped inspire and launch an entire subgenre of metal.  I don't think many actual Warriors players are Metallica fans.  :lol  But still.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #528 on: March 18, 2019, 01:42:59 PM »
There's a Chase cardmember presale tomorrow.  I'll check it out.  If it's not silly expensive, I might think about traveling for this.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #529 on: March 18, 2019, 01:43:37 PM »
A song for the orchestra should be rearranged. Having the violins doing unisons with the guitar riffs is pointless.

My template for orchestrations will always be the german band Rage.

Listen to this thrashy song, the title track from their Black in Mind album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1O_7K2NeWQ

And now listen to the orchestral version, this video presents the first two parts of a medley so skip to the 0:58 mark because the piano intro is the chorus of another song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUo2_6m5KGg

THAT, to me, is doing an orchestral version.

Should Iron Maiden do an orchestral show, they should concentrate on stuff like Empire of the Clouds, For the Greater Good of God and the likes and forget about playing The Trooper and 23:58 as they are but with violins following the guitars.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

« Reply #530 on: March 18, 2019, 01:46:48 PM »
I agree with your point, but I don't see what it has to do with this. The cool thing about S&M is that they DIDN'T do what you said bands shouldn't do. And if they did, it was specifically to emphasize it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #531 on: March 18, 2019, 01:48:26 PM »
Wow, this is VERY cool!  It's kind of silly that a band this big has NOT had more of a connection with SF Bay Area sports up until now.

I took this picture outside of AT&T Ballpark last summer..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #532 on: March 18, 2019, 01:50:07 PM »
I agree with your point, but I don't see what it has to do with this. The cool thing about S&M is that they DIDN'T do what you said bands shouldn't do. And if they did, it was specifically to emphasize it.

I remember quite some passages where the orchestra, as you said, was "mh don't know what to do here". But I admit I haven't listen to the album in quite some time so I might have an incorrect perception about it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #533 on: March 18, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »
Wow, this is VERY cool!  It's kind of silly that a band this big has NOT had more of a connection with SF Bay Area sports up until now.

:tup

I guess it isn't too hard to believe that Giants fans have probably been the MOST vocal about what I said above.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: March 18, 2019, 02:35:07 PM »
Haven't Metallica been doing Metallica night for a SF Giants home game for a few years now? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #535 on: March 18, 2019, 02:58:05 PM »
Not that I'm aware of.  But I could just be unaware. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:04:28 PM by bosk1 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: March 18, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »
Just looked, this year is the 7th annual Metallica Night

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-announces-seventh-annual-metallica-night-with-san-francisco-giants/

A statement on the band's web site reads: "Mark your calendars for the seventh annual 'Metallica Night'! On April 26, 2019 — just before we take off for our annual European summer vacation — we'll celebrate one of our favorite hometown traditions, 'Metallica Night', at Oracle Park with the San Francisco Giants. Members of the band will be on hand to start things off with the National Anthem and first pitch, sticking around all night to cheer on the team against the New York Yankees. As is customary, we'll take part in some of the between-inning fun and games, as well as an exclusive pre-game VIP event."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #537 on: March 18, 2019, 03:26:04 PM »
Oh, cool!  :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #538 on: March 18, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »

That picture makes me want to throw away everything I own relating to Metallica.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #539 on: March 18, 2019, 04:08:04 PM »

That picture makes me want to throw away everything I own relating to Metallica.

Oh, it gets worst for us.  San Jose Sharks come out to the rink with Seek and Destroy as their opening theme for their home games and I think there was a Metallica night for a Sharks game in 2015 and guess who they played that night?  The Kings.  Guess who won that night?  The bloody Sharks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: March 18, 2019, 04:23:11 PM »
Oh, cool!  :tup

It is pretty cool to embrace their home town team, and for the team to embrace them as well.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #541 on: March 19, 2019, 07:24:46 AM »
Wow, I'm blown away that they are doing S&M2. Over the years, S&M has become one of my favorite live concert DVD/CDs, I pray they are filming this and will release it (traveling to CA is probably not happening for me).

It seems like, according to the announcement, they will revisit some songs they did the first time with Kamen and do some songs they didn't do before.

Off the top of my head, I'd love it if they did a bunch of songs that have come out since the first S&M was released, like:

The Day That Never Comes
Atlas Rise
Dream No More
Halo On Fire
Now That We're Dead
The Unforgiven III

Even a track like The Unnamed Feeling off SA would be cool. And yeah, obviously I hope they incorporate some obvious tunes they left off the first time like The Unforgiven and Fade to Black.

I'll say it again, I really hope they film this and release it, if anyone has been following the Worldwired Tour, the band is playing really well right now and James in particular is singing very well, probably the best he's sounded in a long time.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #542 on: March 19, 2019, 01:01:27 PM »
Been thinking about the setlist and what it could be for this upcoming revisit. Hopefully it's either radically different, or exactly the same haha. I'm worried that any new songs will not be orchestrated as well without Michael Kamen. But we shall see. I hope it's radically different than last time, and what they're doing now on tour. Basically, hit every album with some rarities and only a couple of repeats/mega-hits. What I'd like to see (something like this):

The Ecstacy of Gold
Orion
The Four Horsemen
Eye of the Beholder
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Halo on Fire
King Nothing
No Leaf Clover
The Day That Never Comes
Dream No More
Nothing Else Matters
--------------------------------
The Unforgiven
The Unforgiven II
The Unforgiven III
I Disappear
Am I Savage?
The Unnamed Feeling
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
One
Seek & Destroy
--------------------------------
Fight Fire With Fire

KEA: 2, RTL: 2, MOP: 2, AJFA: 2, TBA: 2, L: 1, RL: 1, S&M: 1, MI2: 1, SA: 1, DM: 2, HTSD: 3

Only four repeats: For Whom the Bell Tolls, One, No Leaf Clover, Nothing Else Matters
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:47:06 AM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Adami

« Reply #543 on: March 20, 2019, 06:57:35 AM »
I'd ditch Seek and Destroy for Fade to Black, but overall, good setlist. 
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: March 20, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »
All the Unforgivens in a row might be cool

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #545 on: March 20, 2019, 07:25:31 AM »
All the Unforgivens in a row might be cool

Yeah, that would be amazing actually.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #546 on: March 20, 2019, 09:53:51 AM »
My brother his girlfriend are apparently going to this show. I jokingly messaged her asking if they were planning on bringing me. her response: "Get your ass up here to visit and we will!"

Too bad I can't make plans that far in advanced right now :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #547 on: March 20, 2019, 09:59:38 AM »
Do it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #548 on: March 20, 2019, 10:04:59 AM »
If they really plan on buying my ticket, and depending on when they actually commit, I just might.

I haven't been up there to visit in about 5-6 years.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #549 on: March 20, 2019, 10:12:48 AM »
^ You should definitely do it. Browsing the Metallica forums, it seems like tickets are really hard to get and many are automatically popping up on StubHub for waaaaaaay over face value. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: March 20, 2019, 10:16:34 AM »
^ You should definitely do it. Browsing the Metallica forums, it seems like tickets are really hard to get and many are automatically popping up on StubHub for waaaaaaay over face value.

Yea makes sense, this is going to be a hot ticket

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #551 on: March 20, 2019, 10:51:59 AM »
Yeah, I tried for like 45 minutes to get one during the pre-sale yesterday but no luck. Would absolutely fly out to SF if I could get one. Oh well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #553 on: March 20, 2019, 04:16:13 PM »
Oh, wow.  I didn't know about this. 

Offline Ruba

« Reply #554 on: March 21, 2019, 07:01:49 AM »
Even a track like The Unnamed Feeling off SA would be cool. And yeah, obviously I hope they incorporate some obvious tunes they left off the first time like The Unforgiven and Fade to Black.

The Unnamed Feeling would definitely be cool, and I think All Within My Hands (in style of acoustic version) would work well too in this context. Unforgiven and Fade to Black are indeed quite glaring omissions from the original and hopefully they'll make the cut this time. I'd expect them to play 5-6 songs from Hardwired and bunch of classics, but anything from Load and ReLoad sans Fuel is a plus in my books. Hopefully there's still room for some surprises, they can't NOT be playing The Call of Ktulu or No Leaf Clover.

I doubt they'll do any covers, but Astronomy with an orchestra would be sooo sweet.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #555 on: March 21, 2019, 08:04:32 AM »

The Unnamed Feeling would definitely be cool, and I think All Within My Hands (in style of acoustic version) would work well too in this context. Unforgiven and Fade to Black are indeed quite glaring omissions from the original and hopefully they'll make the cut this time. I'd expect them to play 5-6 songs from Hardwired and bunch of classics, but anything from Load and ReLoad sans Fuel is a plus in my books. Hopefully there's still room for some surprises, they can't NOT be playing The Call of Ktulu or No Leaf Clover.

I doubt they'll do any covers, but Astronomy with an orchestra would be sooo sweet.

The Unnamed Feeling or All Within My Hands would both be great choices off of SA to play with orchestration.  I'm totally with you on the HW songs, I hope they play at least 5. Atlas Rise, Moth Into Flame, Halo On Fire, Dream No More, Now That We're Dead, etc... would all be great.

Offline Adami

« Reply #556 on: March 21, 2019, 09:50:21 AM »
I just hope they treat this as a special event and not just a normal Metallica show but with an orchestra, at least as far as setlists go.

Metallica tours all the time. If you want to see Seek and Destroy and Enter Sandman and the other 20 songs they play every tour every year, go to those. I hope this is an opportunity to go very different.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #557 on: March 21, 2019, 12:06:07 PM »
I just hope they treat this as a special event and not just a normal Metallica show but with an orchestra, at least as far as setlists go.

Metallica tours all the time. If you want to see Seek and Destroy and Enter Sandman and the other 20 songs they play every tour every year, go to those. I hope this is an opportunity to go very different.

I agree, but realistically, they are probably going to do a lot of the same songs they did from the first S&M. This is what they played at the first S&M, I bolded the songs I'm guessing they will do again:

The Ecstasy of Gold
The Call of Ktulu
Master of Puppets
Of Wolf and Man
The Thing That Should Not Be
Fuel
The Memory Remains
No Leaf Clover
Hero of the Day
Devil's Dance
Bleeding Me
Nothing Else Matters
Until It Sleeps
For Whom the Bell Tolls
- Human
Wherever I May Roam
The Outlaw Torn
Sad but True
One
Enter Sandman
Battery

That leaves eight open slots. Obviously, I'm just guessing, but I think we will probably get 4 HW songs, a DM song, maybe a SA song, and a couple old ones that weren't on the first S&M, like Creeping Death or The Unforgiven, or Fade to Black.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #558 on: March 21, 2019, 12:33:58 PM »
I'm really skeptical about them playing - Human ever again, I do actually like that one (reminds me of Alice in Chains), but it seems largely forgotten. And who knows, maybe there will be a completely new song.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: March 21, 2019, 12:43:30 PM »
I'm really skeptical about them playing - Human ever again, I do actually like that one (reminds me of Alice in Chains), but it seems largely forgotten. And who knows, maybe there will be a completely new song.

Yea, I kind of see it being forgotten here too.  No Leaf Clover is a must IMO, but Human, yea that's forgettable and I'd rather see a new or different old song get the S&M treatment.