Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 176579 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #490 on: February 08, 2019, 10:32:31 AM »
You're still going?  :lol

God, I now see why I annoyed people so much over the years. My apologies to every single person who ever posted at my message board from 2004-2016.  :lol

Stads - I don't agree with you. Have a nice weekend.

*goes and puts on AJFA to remember when Metallica was incredible*

:rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #491 on: February 08, 2019, 10:37:41 AM »
I personally think that calling TBA a "sellout" is revisionist history;

No it isn't. I bought TBA on its release day and that's what I thought immediately.

Fair point; I was referring to the idea that it sold a brazillian copies.  I'm going to stir the pot a little here and say that that's a decent size part of this.   If it only sold 8 million ("...Justice" numbers) or 6 million (RtL and MoP numbers) I'm not sure we'd be having this conversation.   

(By the way, you learn something new every day:  EVERY ONE of Metallica's canonical, original material studio records - i.e. not Lulu, or compilations - have gone PLATINUM.  That's amazing.)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #492 on: February 08, 2019, 10:51:07 AM »
Stadler, record sales have nothing to do with it. My ears have no idea how many people bought the album. They only know that I bought it. My views are based on what my ears tell me, not the Billboard charts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #493 on: February 08, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »
It was closer to Def Leppard than it was to KEA.  :rollin

But seriously Stads....one (or even a minority handful) of examples doesn’t disqualify the point. That’s the very definition of a straw man argument. The public does get it right on a very rare occasion (Moving Pictures, Dark Side of the Moon, Sgt Pepper, Laturalus). It’s rare, but once in awhile the public does massively adhere to something that is not a homogenized, overly simplistic, opiate of the masses.

And simple is fine sometimes. ELO were masters of it. So I’m not meaning that it’s always a bad thing. It just is what it is.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: February 08, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »
Stadler, record sales have nothing to do with it. My ears have no idea how many people bought the album. They only know that I bought it. My views are based on what my ears tell me, not the Billboard charts.

Fair enough, and you were clear that you were talking about the time you first heard the record.  But many of the other comments seem predicated on the fact that the album DID sell 16 million units plus or minus.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: February 08, 2019, 12:32:50 PM »
It was closer to Def Leppard than it was to KEA.  :rollin

But seriously Stads....one (or even a minority handful) of examples doesn’t disqualify the point. That’s the very definition of a straw man argument. The public does get it right on a very rare occasion (Moving Pictures, Dark Side of the Moon, Sgt Pepper, Laturalus). It’s rare, but once in awhile the public does massively adhere to something that is not a homogenized, overly simplistic, opiate of the masses.

And simple is fine sometimes. ELO were masters of it. So I’m not meaning that it’s always a bad thing. It just is what it is.

Well, I think the public gets it right WAYYYY more than "on rare occasion".   I disagree with you on premise that the public generally adheres to "homogenized overly simplistic opiate of the masses".    That's the popular wisdom to self-justify why we choose to listen to Neal Morse over Taylor Swift.   I patently reject that line.  I'm not in any way superior, or less "opiated" because I like "High 'n' Dry" over "Hysteria"; the fact is, "Hysteria" is objectively a better album than "High 'n' Dry". (Literally pick any objective standard and Hysteria is a better album than High 'n' Dry: sales, charts, number of songs played live, attendance at the subject tour, number of covers, etc. etc.).     

Offline jammindude

« Reply #496 on: February 08, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »
 I think what we are really arguing over is essentially the balance of heart and mind. For the most part, the public does not want their art to make them think. They want to feel. Whether they want to feel good, sad, glad, or bad, there is a song for it. But they usually just want to  feel something they can relate to without having to think about it very much. Thinking is too hard for the general public.

Most of us that are into progressive rock tend to gravitate toward it because it has a tendency to be a little bit more on the cerebral side. But it still makes us feel something. When a band can find that nice balance between making you think and making you feel (As Dark Side did)  then you have happened upon something that is very difficult to do. Because, as I said, the public doesn’t like to think. So getting them to think and feel at the same time is extremely difficult. Getting them to feel ....not so much.  To be fair, it does take a measure of talent to elicit an emotion. It takes a little bit more to make somebody truly think. And it takes a lot more to do both at the same time. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #497 on: February 08, 2019, 12:50:02 PM »
 And to be clear, making someone think does not have to be strictly in the lyrical sense. It could just be throwing something more complex into the music the melody or the rhythm. Anything that is not easy to digest is going to force the listener to think. In general, people don’t like to do that.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #498 on: February 08, 2019, 12:59:02 PM »
 The perfect example is the direct comparison between Enter Sandman and Master of Puppets.

MoP has some very observant and incitful lyrics about drug addiction. “Chop your breakfast on a mirror” is a particularly vivid imagery that makes you think. Also the rhythm oscillates (I believe) between 8/8 and 7/8. So it’s something you have to stop and think about because it’s not a constant.

Enter Sandman...while having a great riff (which elicits an emotion) is a common time song (easy beat) about being afraid of the dark (emotionally relatable). And the only rhythm change is the pre-chorus.

And this is just touch and go....I mean, my point should be clear if we’re not splitting hairs.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #499 on: February 08, 2019, 01:19:25 PM »
MoP has some very observant and incitful lyrics about drug addiction. “Chop your breakfast on a mirror” is a particularly vivid imagery that makes you think. Also the rhythm oscillates (I believe) between 8/8 and 7/8. So it’s something you have to stop and think about because it’s not a constant.

The main riff has three bars of 4/4 and one bar of 21/32 (you read that right  :lol), as this great video demonstrates. The bridge after the second chorus has some time changes as well.

I probably don't want to add anything into the debate that has been going on for the last few pages. But generally I do agree with jammindude and Samsara.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #500 on: February 08, 2019, 01:25:41 PM »

The main riff has three bars of 4/4 and one bar of 21/32 (you read that right  :lol), as this great video demonstrates. The bridge after the second chorus has some time changes as well.

I probably don't want to add anything into the debate that has been going on for the last few pages. But generally I do agree with jammindude and Samsara.

That is freakin AWESOME!!! I was just going by the fact that you can count it off as a bar of 8 and the a bar of 7, but this makes it even more interesting.  :rollin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #501 on: February 08, 2019, 01:30:49 PM »
 Actually, after watching the video, the rant that he goes on for the second half of the video is touching on exactly the kinds of ideas I’m trying to convey.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: February 08, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »
I think what we are really arguing over is essentially the balance of heart and mind. For the most part, the public does not want their art to make them think. They want to feel. Whether they want to feel good, sad, glad, or bad, there is a song for it. But they usually just want to  feel something they can relate to without having to think about it very much. Thinking is too hard for the general public.

Most of us that are into progressive rock tend to gravitate toward it because it has a tendency to be a little bit more on the cerebral side. But it still makes us feel something. When a band can find that nice balance between making you think and making you feel (As Dark Side did)  then you have happened upon something that is very difficult to do. Because, as I said, the public doesn’t like to think. So getting them to think and feel at the same time is extremely difficult. Getting them to feel ....not so much.  To be fair, it does take a measure of talent to elicit an emotion. It takes a little bit more to make somebody truly think. And it takes a lot more to do both at the same time.

Look, Jammin, you and I are buds and always will be.  I love the degree to which you think about this stuff, and that's sincere.  I think of anyone here, I am one of those that appreciates that, and I'm also one of those that could reasonably be accused of over-thinking things on occasion.  Having said that, I reject this notion that somehow one (or both) are better than the other.  In fact, in my opinion, I think it's EASIER to make people think than it is to make someone feel.  I think "Yesterday" - two minutes, three seconds of acoustic guitar and vocal, with a couple vocal and orchestral overdubs - is a FAR greater achievement than say, "Dance Of Eternity".   I have something like 30,000 songs in my iPod library, and I can count the number of songs that make me cry on ONE HAND.   I can give you 100 off the top of my head that make me think.   

Where music - art - differs from, say, a toaster, is that it can do BOTH.  I've long said this to my daughter (a huge Taylor Swift fan): like what you like, and apologize to NO ONE about it.  If it makes you close your eyes and pump your fist, or if it chokes you up, or if it makes you go get the lyric book to see what she's really saying (or who she's saying it about), then you're on to something.    Everything else is...  pffffft.

I give you this quote from Het (regarding Re-Load, but still):  "Fast thrash just wasn't exciting to us anymore, really," Hetfield said. "If I wrote it, then we'd use it, but none of us were writing that stuff. On 'Fuel' there was some pretty quick down-picking — just kind of moving around with root notes — but that's about it. It's was a little more exciting for us to figure out more fucked up chords — things that grind — dissonant bits. In a few of the songs there's helter-skelter tension built in there. That kind of stuff excited us more than the speed stuff."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: February 08, 2019, 01:41:22 PM »
The perfect example is the direct comparison between Enter Sandman and Master of Puppets.

Enter Sandman...while having a great riff (which elicits an emotion) is a common time song (easy beat) about being afraid of the dark (emotionally relatable). And the only rhythm change is the pre-chorus.

And this is just touch and go....I mean, my point should be clear if we’re not splitting hairs.

It's all what you value.  I've already written about the impact that Enter Sandman had on that audience - and the musicians there - at the Jools Holland show.   Four guys fired up their instruments and made x-hundred people forget what they were doing and play/sing/clap along.   Paul McCartney - when I saw him in Philly - had 20,000 people dead silent and attentive while he played "Yesterday".  I had tears running down my face as he finished and I glanced to my right to make sure no one saw me... and the woman next to me also had tears pouring down her face.  I think that's far more of an accomplishment than making someone wonder "uh, is that 4/4 or something else?"  (As an aside, that's what makes guys like Tony Banks and Mike Portnoy so talented; they do BOTH: they are playing 17/32 time signatures and you are lost in the music). 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #504 on: February 08, 2019, 02:06:55 PM »
And I feel like you've just completely underlined my point.   What you're telling your daughter?   Completely emotional.   "Follow your heart" is exactly what most people WANT to hear.   "Like what you like" is a completely visceral approach.   And the reason why it is easier to elicit an emotional response than a cerebral one is because (for the most part) you have an audience that WANTS to feel.  They (for the most part) do not WANT to think.     You already have an audience that is actively SEEKING to feel something before you even start.   It still takes some talent to find a resonation with your audience, but it's when you can elicit them to do something they DON'T want to do that takes much more effort.   

You may really like putting some thought into things...but we're talking about the general public here.    The general public DOES NOT want their art to make them think.   They don't want it to be hard....and thinking is hard....for the public.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: February 08, 2019, 03:31:10 PM »
And I feel like you've just completely underlined my point.   What you're telling your daughter?   Completely emotional.   "Follow your heart" is exactly what most people WANT to hear.   "Like what you like" is a completely visceral approach.   And the reason why it is easier to elicit an emotional response than a cerebral one is because (for the most part) you have an audience that WANTS to feel.  They (for the most part) do not WANT to think.     You already have an audience that is actively SEEKING to feel something before you even start.   It still takes some talent to find a resonation with your audience, but it's when you can elicit them to do something they DON'T want to do that takes much more effort.   

Not quite; I'm saying like what you want for the reasons you want. If it IS just heart, so be it.  If it's something else (she's a lot like me in that regard; loves nuggets!) then so be it.  "Like what you like" is not "visceral".  Do you really listen to something with no opinion, then consciously walk through whether you like it or not on a graded scale?  And to your last sentemce, doesn't that make Taylor Swift LITERALLY the graetest artist on the planet?  The last thing I "want" to like is the gossipy ruminations of a stork-like 20-something girl, and yet... "Wildest Dreams" is in my top 10 greatest songs ever written, and I consider 1989 to be this generations "Thriller".   

You may really like putting some thought into things...but we're talking about the general public here.    The general public DOES NOT want their art to make them think.   They don't want it to be hard....and thinking is hard....for the public.

Okay, but so what?  Why is that bad?  They've got bills to pay, sick kids, hard jobs, mortgages in foreclosure... maybe they have enough thinking and want something to take them away.  Don't you find any wonder in the thought that some guy, born into an almost restrictively religious household, that admittedly has deep issues in communicating with the people around him, can somehow write down some words that touch people thousands of miles - and in this case, almost 30 years in time later - away?   I brought my kid to Kiss and she was blown away, and it wasn't lost on me that half the set was songs that were written while Gene and Paul were driving cabs/teaching school and jamming away in a loft in NYC that's smaller than my bedroom.  I find that ability to connect almost supernatural in scope.

And I'm not saying I'm right, and you have to take my approach over yours. I'm just saying that the two approaches are equally valid, and this presumption that somehow thinking is better than visceral is false.   It IS possible that the general population is right about this. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #506 on: February 08, 2019, 04:12:51 PM »

That is freakin AWESOME!!! I was just going by the fact that you can count it off as a bar of 8 and the a bar of 7, but this makes it even more interesting.  :rollin

Not sure where you're getting a 7.

I never really gave the time signatures any thought until I started playing in a band in 1987.  In May 1987, Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine published a transcription of MOP (I have that issue, but I'm not posting from home, so I'm going off memory here).  That is the same transcription that is referenced at 0:26 of the video as "the official transcription" (you can see the GFTPM logo in the upper-left corner of the book).  Anyone who's familiar with GFTPM will remember that, in addition to the transcription of each song, they included a paragraph or two or three of performance notes.  I don't know if those notes were included in the book pictured in the video or whether they're available online anywhere, but I very clearly recall them explaining that the 5/8 time signature was used simply for the sake of having a time signature and something that at least remotely approached a legible transcription.  The notes cautioned that the time signature of that measure wasn't exact and that it varied slightly over the 30 times that measure appears in the song.  I also believe all of James, Lars and Kirk have said in interviews that the measure wasn't in any particular time signature and that it was just a "feel thing."  I think the video makes this same point pretty clearly.

For the sake of comparison, the tablature on Songsterr.com uses 11/16 for that measure.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #507 on: February 08, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »
Stadler... I don’t recall ever saying it was “bad” all the time. Heck, I adore AC/DC. You know that.

If I’ve said anything, it’s been hinting around the idea that it’s disappointing for many (including me) when a band seems to have captured (or is in the process of capturing) the balance of heart and mind, and then eschews the more thought provoking side in order to appeal to a broader audience by going strictly for the emotions only.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #508 on: February 08, 2019, 06:07:02 PM »
JD, my bro from another ho, you're HEAVILY implying a negative connontation in your statements.

Let me ask you this.

You go to a record store (those still exist?) and ask the guy if he has any recomendations for you. He says the following...

"Dude, I got the perfect thing for you, it's really dumbed down and it won't make you think at all, you'll love it"

You'd walk away thinking that this is a totally neutral statement? Or would you feel insulted a little?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #509 on: February 08, 2019, 06:35:32 PM »
The terms "sellout" and "sold out" are dumb anyway.  I know the idea of the starving artist is appealing to some, but if any of us were told, "hey, you can keep doing what you love, but tweak it a little to where you'll make a lot more money," we'd all do it in a heartbeat, without fail. 

I get that some fans hate it when "their band" gets a bigger audience and the newcomers act like it was their band all along, too, but who cares?  Good music is good music.  And the Black Album is damn good music.

Offline Adami

« Reply #510 on: February 08, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »
I was a few months away from being born when RTL came out, but I wonder how many hardcore Metallica fans (however many that was at the time) thought they sold out when it came out?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #511 on: February 08, 2019, 07:15:45 PM »
I was a few months away from being born when RTL came out, but I wonder how many hardcore Metallica fans (however many that was at the time) thought they sold out when it came out?

There was some of that, yes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #512 on: February 08, 2019, 07:48:47 PM »

There was some of that, yes.

I've heard of that, yes. Some people were pissed because they DARED to have some acoustic guitar in Fight Fire with Fire.  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #513 on: February 08, 2019, 07:49:27 PM »
I guess my point was that RTL was viewed (by some) as a sell out. Now it's part of the pantheon of what Metallica left behind when they REALLY sold out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #514 on: February 08, 2019, 08:09:50 PM »
We have to remember that this was the 80's, when music fans were really segregated, and those fans didn't want overlap from other genres into "their" music.  Metal fans didn't want any keyboards in their metal, for example.  That kind of thinking seeped into the 90's when the Black Album was released.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #515 on: February 08, 2019, 09:15:08 PM »
We have to remember that this was the 80's, when music fans were really segregated, and those fans didn't want overlap from other genres into "their" music.  Metal fans didn't want any keyboards in their metal, for example.  That kind of thinking seeped into the 90's when the Black Album was released.

There’s a lot to this.

I am a big proponent of the theory that the rise of thrash was a direct cause and effect of Ozzy going from Diary to Ultimate Sin...Motley Crue going from Shout at the Devil to Theater of Pain...Judas Priest going from Defenders of the Faith to Turbo....Iron Maiden going from Powerslave to Somewhere in Time. These trends ARE related.   If these early 80s icons of metal don’t do synth albums, thrash would have become a footnote in metal history.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: February 09, 2019, 08:35:53 AM »
The terms "sellout" and "sold out" are dumb anyway.  I know the idea of the starving artist is appealing to some, but if any of us were told, "hey, you can keep doing what you love, but tweak it a little to where you'll make a lot more money," we'd all do it in a heartbeat, without fail. 

I get that some fans hate it when "their band" gets a bigger audience and the newcomers act like it was their band all along, too, but who cares?  Good music is good music.  And the Black Album is damn good music.

KevShmev = Stadler on this point. That's essentially what I am saying.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: February 09, 2019, 08:41:08 AM »
Stadler... I don’t recall ever saying it was “bad” all the time. Heck, I adore AC/DC. You know that.

If I’ve said anything, it’s been hinting around the idea that it’s disappointing for many (including me) when a band seems to have captured (or is in the process of capturing) the balance of heart and mind, and then eschews the more thought provoking side in order to appeal to a broader audience by going strictly for the emotions only.

And I'm essentially saying it's not bad "ANY" of the time. There's no "perfect" balance, except for each individual (and that makes it, by definition, subjective).  I think one way to look at it is as a continuum.  You've got full on head on one side, and full on heart on the other, and as long as you are SOMEWHERE on the continuum, you're good.   I just feel TBA is a slide on the continuum, but that intentions are/were still pure.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #518 on: February 11, 2019, 08:28:21 PM »
Metallica themselves made it very clear where their hearts really were/are with the set lists. Yes some Black Album songs but they know what sounds best live, and it ain’t Carpe Diem Baby  :rollin. Anyway, I chose to look at their hillbilly rock period as a little detour that didn’t pan out. They’re back to playing hard and heavy, which they know is their strength (especially with someone as talented as Het).

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: March 06, 2019, 02:16:08 PM »
Metallica: Holier Than Thou (El Paso, TX - February 28, 2019)

:tup

Nice, we got this at the State College show too, love this song.  They also recently live debuted Here Comes Revenge  :metal :metal

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: March 18, 2019, 12:46:10 PM »
S&M²: THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT

Check this out, you know how much we love firsts and we are always extremely proud to wave the flag for our hometown of San Francisco, so this first is particularly exciting as we announce that we will be performing at the grand opening celebration of the Chase Center with S&M² on Friday, September 6th. That’s right, not only will this be the inaugural event at the new arena in the city, but we will be playing once again with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra as we join together to commemorate this historic addition to the Bay Area and mark the 20th anniversary of the S&M concerts and album release.

We’re honored that legendary conductor Michael Tilson Thomas will kick off his final season as San Francisco Symphony Musical Director with a special appearance conducting a portion of the show. James and Lars joined Michael, along with representatives from the Golden State Warriors and San Francisco mayor London Breed, to make the announcement at the Chase Center today.

Watch the Annoucement

Presales for Fan Club members begin tomorrow, March 19th with the Legacy Member sale beginning at 9 AM Pacific Time and the Fifth Member sale beginning at 10 AM Pacific Time. Please visit the Club News section for additional details including where to find your presale code.

Tickets will go on sale the general public on Friday, March 22nd at 10 AM Pacific Time at chasecenter.com.

Please join us for this one-night-only show as we celebrate the addition of what is sure to become a cultural landmark in the Bay Area. We’re thrilled to be invited to be a part of it and humbled to be sharing the stage with the legendary MTT and the city’s finest musicians in the San Francisco Symphony.

Source: https://www.metallica.com/news/2019-03-18-s-and-m-2.html?fbclid=IwAR0rHOr0weL-jlFjMhl7LKmryY-mfuLB2s2UgQGY_rxweEowsAuiF4VeTGc

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: March 18, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »
That's pretty awesome and something I'd consider traveling to except I'll already be traveling to Atlanta for progpower.  It says it's a celebration of the original, but does that mean they will be playing songs only from the original or do we think we'll get any new songs or the symphony to do newer Metallica songs. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #523 on: March 18, 2019, 12:55:48 PM »
Wait, they're playing with a symphony again?

If so, I'd buy that DVD up in a heart beat. I just hope it's a (not totally) different song selection.

I know it's a Metallica show, but in cases like this, we don't need Battery. We DO need songs like Unforgiven (either of them) or Fade to Black.

I hope they don't try to avoid the obvious choices. They're obvious for a good reason.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #524 on: March 18, 2019, 01:20:18 PM »
I know it's a Metallica show, but in cases like this, we don't need Battery. We DO need songs like Unforgiven (either of them) or Fade to Black.

Battery is actually my favorite performance on the original S&M, mainly because of how the intro is arranged. I do agree that an orchestra would definitely do justice to the Unforgivens and Fade to Black as well.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.