Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 178528 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #385 on: November 26, 2018, 09:47:07 AM »
Stadler DTF posting template:

1.  "I'm not telling you what to think, but [insert post telling people what to think]."

2.  "I'm not saying you are 'wrong,' but [insert post opining that the poster is, in Stadler's eyes, most decidedly wrong]."

3.  [insert post showing that Stadler's opinion is the polar opposite of the poster]  "But we're really not that far apart."

:lol  ;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #386 on: November 26, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
 :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #387 on: November 26, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »
Stadler DTF posting template:

1.  "I'm not telling you what to think, but [insert post telling people what to think]."

2.  "I'm not saying you are 'wrong,' but [insert post opining that the poster is, in Stadler's eyes, most decidedly wrong]."

3.  [insert post showing that Stadler's opinion is the polar opposite of the poster]  "But we're really not that far apart."

:lol  ;)

I'm not saying you're wrong... but....

I have tables and statistics, too. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #388 on: November 26, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »
:lol  Right, I forgot about those.

And:  [Canada is always wrong]
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #389 on: November 26, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »
5. Use as many dependent clauses, set off by commas, as possible.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #390 on: November 26, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »
5. Use as many dependent clauses, set off by commas, as possible.

Are you saying this thread is somehow about me now?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #391 on: November 26, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
:lol  Right, I forgot about those.

And:  [Canada is always wrong]

We're not far apart on this, but, as I have said many times before, that excludes beer, where, because of a) the water, b) history, and c) because Rush says so, they do make good beer.   

Sometimes.   www.stadlersalwaysright.com/statistics-you-need-to-be-aware-of-to-make-sense-of-his-posts

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #392 on: January 07, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »
I just picked up a ticket to see Metallica later in the month, thus making 13-year-old TOX's dream come true. I am stoked!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #393 on: January 07, 2019, 09:40:23 AM »
I just picked up a ticket to see Metallica later in the month, thus making 13-year-old TOX's dream come true. I am stoked!

This'll be your first time seeing them?
Photobucket sucks.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: January 07, 2019, 08:32:00 PM »
A little off topic and might have been posted before but Mike Dawes' cover of One is probably one my favorite versions of the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGc5in2F_Rg

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #395 on: January 07, 2019, 08:33:45 PM »
Also did anyone ever check out that acoustic show they did not too long ago?

Some of those renditions were just fantastic. Minus Hardwired, which they just did regular...but acoustic. Weird choice.

But their versions of Horsemen and Disposable Heroes was really great, and so were most of the rest. They had some extra musicians which really added to the sound.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #396 on: January 08, 2019, 06:55:34 AM »

It is! Definitely a musical dream come true for me. The arena also happens to be across the street from my work, which is super convenient.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #397 on: January 08, 2019, 08:05:31 AM »
Also did anyone ever check out that acoustic show they did not too long ago?

Some of those renditions were just fantastic. Minus Hardwired, which they just did regular...but acoustic. Weird choice.

But their versions of Horsemen and Disposable Heroes was really great, and so were most of the rest. They had some extra musicians which really added to the sound.

Killer stuff Adami. Like you said, Horsemen and Disposable were great, I didn't even know what songs they were until James started singing. They did post a couple songs from that show on YouTube, for those that want to check it out:

The Four Horsemen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMRAgrGQV6I

Disposable Heroes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ermTPnZ6H7U

All Within My Hands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmhOIsM4jQE

Adding the extra musicians was a great idea, they filled out the arrangements really well and added some good backing vocals.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: January 08, 2019, 08:48:01 AM »
That's really cool  :metal

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #400 on: January 08, 2019, 08:58:25 AM »
That show is also being released on vinyl, although it might be sold out:

https://www.metallica.com/store/helping-hands-vinyl/AWMHBENEFITLP.html
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: January 08, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »
It's available!
http://www.livemetallica.com//live-music/0,682/Metallica-mp3-flac-download-11-3-2018-SF-Masonic-San-Francisco-CA.html

How is the performance of "Bleeding Me?" It's the only song I'm really interested in having from that show, if it is good. One of the few songs I tolerate from LOAD.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #402 on: January 08, 2019, 10:09:23 AM »
I don't know. Following the discussion, I checked the site and linked. I'm considering a purchase though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #403 on: January 08, 2019, 10:22:22 AM »
It's available!
http://www.livemetallica.com//live-music/0,682/Metallica-mp3-flac-download-11-3-2018-SF-Masonic-San-Francisco-CA.html

How is the performance of "Bleeding Me?" It's the only song I'm really interested in having from that show, if it is good. One of the few songs I tolerate from LOAD.

Bleeding Me:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu9dfbszgjI

James sounds fantastic.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: January 08, 2019, 10:36:55 AM »
It's available!

THanks!

Bleeding Me:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu9dfbszgjI

James sounds fantastic.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #405 on: January 08, 2019, 10:50:18 AM »
Disposable Heroes sounds like Opeth.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2019, 02:29:28 PM »
Based on my experience with the ...And Justice for All box set, I went ahead and bought the one for Master of Puppets. It'll be here Thursday from Amazon. I noticed that on Amazon.co.uk, the set is way more expensive (even after doing the conversion) than it is here. And since the box set is limited and I don't see it for sale on Metallica.com any longer, I figured even though I was on the fence, it would probably be a smart purchase. It looks pretty bad ass. That's probably it for me in terms of Metallica boxes. I'm not a big fan of Kill Em All, and while I like Ride the Lightning, I don't love it as nearly as a complete work as I do Puppets and AJFA.

I'm really looking forward to checking it all out. I have the Back to the Front: A Fully Authorized Visual History of the Master of Puppets Album and Tour book by Matt Taylor, so I am hoping the photos in the MOP box set book don't overlap and the content is different. But the rest of it looks pretty bad ass.

So that'll make three albums for me I've invested in these big boxes - Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger, Metallica: MOP, Metallica: AJFA.

Home runs on the two I have so far, and I expect MOP to be a third...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »

Yeah, it's actually pretty obvious that they borrowed heavily from Opeth on that one.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: January 15, 2019, 10:58:04 PM »
Based on my experience with the ...And Justice for All box set, I went ahead and bought the one for Master of Puppets. It'll be here Thursday from Amazon. I noticed that on Amazon.co.uk, the set is way more expensive (even after doing the conversion) than it is here. And since the box set is limited and I don't see it for sale on Metallica.com any longer, I figured even though I was on the fence, it would probably be a smart purchase. It looks pretty bad ass. That's probably it for me in terms of Metallica boxes. I'm not a big fan of Kill Em All, and while I like Ride the Lightning, I don't love it as nearly as a complete work as I do Puppets and AJFA.

I'm really looking forward to checking it all out. I have the Back to the Front: A Fully Authorized Visual History of the Master of Puppets Album and Tour book by Matt Taylor, so I am hoping the photos in the MOP box set book don't overlap and the content is different. But the rest of it looks pretty bad ass.

So that'll make three albums for me I've invested in these big boxes - Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger, Metallica: MOP, Metallica: AJFA.

You'll like it, it's a good set. For me, the only downside of the four released so far is the editing of the text in the books.

And yes, the pricing over here is awful, always has been (except with Justice was on pre-order).
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #409 on: January 16, 2019, 09:51:56 AM »

Yeah, it's actually pretty obvious that they borrowed heavily from Opeth on that one.

:lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: January 16, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »

You'll like it, it's a good set. For me, the only downside of the four released so far is the editing of the text in the books.

And yes, the pricing over here is awful, always has been (except with Justice was on pre-order).

I'm in the U.S., but I've noticed that once in awhile, I can get stuff cheaper in the UK, if I am willing to wait a week or two for it to arrive (which I am usually fine with). But not this time around. My Lord. LOL

Glad you like the set. I'm looking forward to getting it tomorrow. Those will be the only two from Metallica that I buy (I want the RtL one, but honestly, there isn't enough in it for me to justify it), and I'll be pretty happy with it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: January 22, 2019, 10:01:31 AM »
I still haven't even opened the box, but I did download everything (via Amazon rip). All the music is killer. Love the live gigs. Such crazy energy. And Jason's audition was shocking. I mean, they were NOT tight, and James sounded horrendous. Crazy. I mean, to be expected, given the situation, but wow.

Can't wait to dive into the book later this week.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #412 on: January 22, 2019, 10:31:09 AM »
I still haven't even opened the box, but I did download everything (via Amazon rip). All the music is killer. Love the live gigs. Such crazy energy. And Jason's audition was shocking. I mean, they were NOT tight, and James sounded horrendous. Crazy. I mean, to be expected, given the situation, but wow.

Can't wait to dive into the book later this week.

There have been accounts that James was waaaay beyond drunk for Jason's audition.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #413 on: January 22, 2019, 11:29:39 AM »
I'm seeing Metallica in Indianapolis on March 11... Rock on.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: January 22, 2019, 11:49:35 AM »

:metal :metal

Don't forget to download your copy of your show afterwards.  Use your barcode from the ticket on their website and you get a free download.  Pretty awesome perk of a metallica concert if you ask me. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #415 on: January 22, 2019, 05:32:29 PM »

:metal :metal

Don't forget to download your copy of your show afterwards.  Use your barcode from the ticket on their website and you get a free download.  Pretty awesome perk of a metallica concert if you ask me.

Whoa wtf really? That is COOL!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #416 on: January 23, 2019, 08:26:34 AM »
^ Yep, and the quality of their LiveMet shows has been really good this whole tour cycle. The mixes are really solid.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #417 on: January 31, 2019, 08:40:28 AM »

It is! Definitely a musical dream come true for me. The arena also happens to be across the street from my work, which is super convenient.

The show was amazing. It actually set a record for highest attendance at the PNC Arena in Raleigh. I also caught a guitar pick from Rob! Even though I was super tired after a crazy day of work, I am so glad that I went. Definitely a "bucket list" show for me. :metal

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #418 on: February 07, 2019, 06:48:24 AM »
Just copying this post from the Maidenfans forum as it perfectly describes the transition from 80s to 90s Metallica.

Look at it this way — the standard bearers of complex, melodic thrash metal had been finding success on their own terms, playing music that wasn’t really structured for the radio at all, and they had still built up enough of a following to be headlining arena shows. Then they do their first-ever music video and it gets a surprising amount of attention. Good for them.

Now fast forward a couple of years and what happens? The band known for complex song structures, lots of riffs per song, varied tempos, epic harmonized sections, and fairly technical drumming puts out an intentionally radio-friendly album with simplistic song structures, one riff per song, everything pretty close to 120 bpm, wanky solos with too much wah pedal, and simplistic, boring drumming, then churns out the music videos left and right, after saying over and over again back in the day that they’d never do such a thing. They explode on radio and MTV, sell a ridiculous number of albums, and become the darlings of frat houses everywhere. How does that not come off as a sellout?

Then you follow them down the rabbit hole with Load and Reload where they abandon their previous image entirely (logo, physical appearance, etc.), give interviews where they say they’re not a metal band anymore and joke that they should be called “Rockatallica”, put out 160 minutes of music that probably only had about 40-50 minutes of worthwhile material across both albums, and do things like blatantly rehash “Enter Sandman” in the form of “King Nothing”, and do “The Unforgiven II” which rehashes the original song and has Hetfield literally singing “now you’re unforgiven too” in it. Is this ironic performance art? Do they not give a shit? Are they just trolling their casual fans to see what happens? Whatever the interpretation, it sure didn’t look like a creatively inspired band at that point. It looked like they were phoning it in for a payday.

And don’t get me started on St. Anger. That was a bridge too far for most of their fans, including me.

I get that the black album has its fans. It has some really good pop metal songs on it. But if you were already a Metallica fan at that time, it felt like “Metallica For Dummies” — and guess what, a lot of dumb-ass frat boys immediately fell in love with it. Mission accomplished...?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #419 on: February 07, 2019, 06:57:36 AM »
For what it's worth, I consider The Unforgiven II a wonderful ballad on par with the original, and even though seeing the title on the tracklist makes you go  :facepalm:, when you hear the actual song you get how brilliant is the connection.

The Unforgiven III was overkill, but Unforgiven II is awesome. A rare case where the sequel lives up to the original.

Also: where do I have to sign to hear the song live in May when I'll see them? (Please don't answer me on this, I love surprises so I don't want to know if the song is actually in the set, nor "dude, check setlist.fm, they haven't played it since 7 years")
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!