Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 178503 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #280 on: September 07, 2018, 03:08:45 PM »
I get what he's saying about not wanting to replace the original, but come on - what's wrong with a full remix on a bonus disc? The original would still be there for those who like the sound as is, but those who don't would surely appreciate an alternate mix.
Amen! Better yet, they could've done 2 remixes - one with the original mix and the bass added back in, and a second one where they used the ambient mics that were in the studio to give it a more layered sound, instead of the flat in-your-face sound that resulted. I recall reading an interview with Flemming who commented that those additional tracks (of the mics picking things up ambiently) weren't used at all, but that was what he had intended. Would love to have heard what his vision (as producer) would have sounded like. But nope. Not gonna happen. Thanks guys.  :tdwn

And BTW, for those of you hoping for the rough mixes to sound better, maybe they will, but don't bank on it! While it was a demo and not a rough mix, I remember having a Japanese import CD that had a demo (probably for One) that had no bass on it either, although the liner notes expressly stated it was done on a 4-track, so there was no room for the bass. Hopefully the rough mixes won't be the same way, but if Lars was already meddling with the sound when those mixes were made, they probably won't sound much better.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #281 on: September 07, 2018, 05:51:55 PM »
I really wish bands would stop releasing stuff like this that requires folks to buy vinyl albums in order to get all the cool extras.  Why not throw in 6 8-tracks and jack up the price even more?!

:lol

You know what I fucking hate? It's that they think they can soak their fans on this. No offence Samsara....

I mean, the 20 year olds that attended the Justice tour are now 50, and can likely afford a $199 trip down nostalgia lane.

I get it. If you don't want it, don't buy it.. I get it. But I don't care if they include a free blow job. It's still TWO HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS!

Here's two FREE pics from the second row in Worcester on March 17, 1989

I was at the show in Burlington, VT a couple months later. Nothing beats Seattle though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #282 on: September 07, 2018, 06:52:19 PM »
I was at the show in Burlington, VT a couple months later. Nothing beats Seattle though.

I saw the following shows:

3/16/89 Worcester
3/17/89 Hartford
3/29/89 Providence
7/21/89 Meadowlands, NJ
7/25/89 Worcester
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2018, 03:13:52 AM »
TAC....it's not just about the photos.   This is 5 LPs, 1 picture disc, 11 CDs and 4 DVDs.     Ask yourself how much those would cost if they were released on an individual basis.     Honestly TAC, you CANNOT claim they aren't giving you $200 worth of material.

Alternatively, you can also wonder how many people would buy some of those if they were released on an individual basis. A full CD for interviews? How many times are you going to listen to that? 2 CDs of random riffs and rehearsals? 6 CDs with 3 different live versions for each song? I mean, there's only one way to make 11 CDs out of a single CD album, and that's adding a crap ton of filler. In the end, you're paying 200 dollars when the individual price of the items most people want is probably ranging from 50 to 150, depending on how much you enjoy live stuff and having 17 versions of the same song.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2018, 02:18:01 PM »
Not to break up the box set Justice conversation, but I just wanted to say that Hardwired to Self-destruct has been aging really well with me. Probably their strongest overall record since TBA, IMO.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #285 on: September 08, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »
Not to break up the box set Justice conversation, but I just wanted to say that Hardwired to Self-destruct has been aging really well with me. Probably their strongest overall record since TBA, IMO.

I agree! For me it's aging a lot better than Death Magnetic. And I was way more excited, initially, for Death Magnetic than Hardwired. Before Hardwired dropped I had basically written them off as a band that was creatively spent, and could no longer release anything near as good as the stuff released in their heyday. Content to release subpar recordings of subpar music. So this was a very welcome release for me. And it really seems like they've upped their live playing back to respectable levels. It was getting really hard to listen to their live playing in the last 10 -15 years. Feels good to have them back - well, as much as a band can be back this late in their career.

I still miss Jason, though. Would have loved to have him part of this era.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #286 on: September 09, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »
Finding the Hit the Lights video in the Portnoy thread led me to this video from Metallica's 30th anniversary of them playing Four Horsemen with John Bush, and for once they freaking played the middle section of that song. It kills me that they usually cut that part out because I absolutely love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25XSRjC8G3A
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #287 on: September 09, 2018, 08:52:41 AM »
Finding the Hit the Lights video in the Portnoy thread led me to this video from Metallica's 30th anniversary of them playing Four Horsemen with John Bush, and for once they freaking played the middle section of that song. It kills me that they usually cut that part out because I absolutely love it.

It would be so cool if they released a pro version of that show. At least the Metallica live parts. Some truly legendary events happened there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #288 on: September 09, 2018, 09:12:23 AM »

It would be so cool if they released a pro version of that show. At least the Metallica live parts. Some truly legendary events happened there.

Definitely. I remember pretty much drooling as the recaps were coming out after each night.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Adami

« Reply #289 on: September 09, 2018, 09:14:19 AM »
There's tons of great videos on youtube, but I would kill for a well mixed, well made, blu ray version of it all.

Hell, I'd do more than kill. I'd agree with Stadler.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #290 on: September 09, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »

That version gave me chills. What a treat to hear John Bush and James Hetfield harmonize their vocals in that song. John Bush seriously elevated that song to a whole new level with that performance. Easily the best version of Four Horseman I've ever heard.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #291 on: September 10, 2018, 09:03:47 AM »
There's tons of great videos on youtube, but I would kill for a well mixed, well made, blu ray version of it all.

Hell, I'd do more than kill. I'd agree with Stadler.

:lol

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: September 19, 2018, 09:20:21 PM »
Hardwired to Self Destruct has aged really well. Revisited it these days and it while I liked it the first time I heard it, it has somehow grown on me even more. The less one compares it to Death Magnetic, the better it becomes :metal

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #293 on: September 20, 2018, 02:10:38 AM »
I can't help thinking that if Jason were still in the band, the bass would have been properly re-mixed for this release. The fact it hasn't been is one final middle finger to him from James and Lars.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #294 on: September 20, 2018, 04:20:01 AM »
I can't help thinking that if Jason were still in the band, the bass would have been properly re-mixed for this release. The fact it hasn't been is one final middle finger to him from James and Lars.

I don't get why they didn't do that. No one gives a f*ck about a superdeluxelimited box set if the bass is still not audible. They must know that just about any Metallica fan wants a good sounding AJFA version.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #295 on: September 20, 2018, 05:08:45 AM »

I don't get why they didn't do that. No one gives a f*ck about a superdeluxelimited box set if the bass is still not audible. They must know that just about any Metallica fan wants a good sounding AJFA version.

But THEY don't want it.  It is their art, and they don't want to go back 20 or 30 years later and change their art for someone else's sake.  It was addressed earlier in this thread.  Metallica views their albums as a snapshot in time and they don't want to make any changes that would give their albums an update to make them snapshots of the current time (i.e. AJFA 1988 vs. AJFA 2018 with remixed bass). 

You have to remember, that this is the band that got incredibly pissed off when I Disappear was leaked through Napster in its unfinished form.  They are the artists and they want to control how their art is released and in what finished form it is released.  So if they don't want to remix the album for themselves, why would they want to remix the album for someone else (the fans?)?

It's not a middle finger to Jason at all, especially given how much bonus material they are including WITH his playing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #296 on: September 20, 2018, 07:42:24 AM »

Nah, like I said in this thread before - the core of each album's box set is a remastered version of their albums. Not a remix, a remaster.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: September 20, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »
So their tour has started and I was listening to my local sports radio, WFAN in NYC, and they had Jim Breuer on and he was talking about how he is the opening act for Metallica.  I was a bit shocked to hear that, I had no idea and I even have two tickets for the State College show.  He was talking about that show too and how he is trying to get the Penn State Blue Band to come on stage during it.  That show is one month from today and I kind of forgot about it coming up.  The setlists so far this round are better than their stadium tour last year so I should get to see a few different songs. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #298 on: September 20, 2018, 08:39:07 AM »

But THEY don't want it.  It is their art, and they don't want to go back 20 or 30 years later and change their art for someone else's sake.  It was addressed earlier in this thread.  Metallica views their albums as a snapshot in time and they don't want to make any changes that would give their albums an update to make them snapshots of the current time (i.e. AJFA 1988 vs. AJFA 2018 with remixed bass). 

You have to remember, that this is the band that got incredibly pissed off when I Disappear was leaked through Napster in its unfinished form.  They are the artists and they want to control how their art is released and in what finished form it is released.  So if they don't want to remix the album for themselves, why would they want to remix the album for someone else (the fans?)?

It's not a middle finger to Jason at all, especially given how much bonus material they are including WITH his playing.

All of that. AND, people seem to be forgetting that there is a disc that contains a rough mix of the record. If you know the history, the rough mix HAD JASON'S BASS. That's why it was a rough mix and not the final. So what everyone is wanting is in the big package. It's just not being picked up on by people. The set is amazing. 180 bucks through Amazon (beats the 236 I spent with SHipping through Metallica's site). With all the stuff contained, it is worth every dime.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #299 on: September 20, 2018, 09:35:59 AM »
So their tour has started and I was listening to my local sports radio, WFAN in NYC, and they had Jim Breuer on and he was talking about how he is the opening act for Metallica.  I was a bit shocked to hear that, I had no idea and I even have two tickets for the State College show.  He was talking about that show too and how he is trying to get the Penn State Blue Band to come on stage during it.  That show is one month from today and I kind of forgot about it coming up.  The setlists so far this round are better than their stadium tour last year so I should get to see a few different songs.

Yeah Jim has been the opener for this whole US run so far. He does some standup, some crowd interaction stuff and then Metallica plays, no other bands.

And yes, the setlists for this arena run have been way cooler than the stadium run.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #300 on: September 20, 2018, 12:19:23 PM »
Hardwired to Self Destruct has aged really well.

Can an album that's less than two years old really be said to have "aged" at all???

All of that. AND, people seem to be forgetting that there is a disc that contains a rough mix of the record. If you know the history, the rough mix HAD JASON'S BASS. That's why it was a rough mix and not the final. So what everyone is wanting is in the big package. It's just not being picked up on by people. The set is amazing. 180 bucks through Amazon (beats the 236 I spent with SHipping through Metallica's site). With all the stuff contained, it is worth every dime.

Aren't you making an assumption about the rough mix?  I think someone else suggested that it wouldn't be much different than the final mix.  Won't really know until it's released.

I agree with Grappler, and to Fritzinger's point, there are "enhanced bass" versions of the AJFA tracks readily available on YouTube.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #301 on: September 20, 2018, 12:58:24 PM »

Can an album that's less than two years old really be said to have "aged" at all???

Sure, it's aged like, two years.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: September 20, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »

Aren't you making an assumption about the rough mix?  I think someone else suggested that it wouldn't be much different than the final mix.  Won't really know until it's released.

I agree with Grappler, and to Fritzinger's point, there are "enhanced bass" versions of the AJFA tracks readily available on YouTube.

P,

Absolutely I'm making an assumption. But rough mixes typically aren't identical levels to the finished product. At least not what I'm told from those I know who do it for a living. You're right -- we won't know until it is released, and I could absolutely be wrong. But if there was a way to give people an "official" taste of what it would sound like, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that's why that disc is only attainable int he super deluxe edition, and it hasn't really been marketed. Again, all assumption, of course.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #303 on: September 21, 2018, 02:50:09 AM »

But THEY don't want it.  It is their art, and they don't want to go back 20 or 30 years later and change their art for someone else's sake.

Oh, I get it, it's their art. Fair play to them. I'll probably buy the 3CD version. But it's still a missed opportunity.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #304 on: September 24, 2018, 07:24:59 AM »
Nah, Jason himself has said that he's come to terms with the album's sound and that it shouldn't be messed with.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: September 24, 2018, 07:40:02 AM »
They announced a European stadium tour for 2019 with Ghost.  That sounds rad.  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #306 on: September 24, 2018, 07:58:37 AM »
I'd really love to see that.  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #307 on: September 24, 2018, 08:01:32 AM »
They'll come to my hometown, one subway stop away from where I work. This summer Maiden played there, it was glorious to change myself in the office bathroom and walking from the office to the venue  :D

Ironically I was just discussing with my cousin Ghost yesterday, she said she wanted to see them and I told her they already announced the european dates, and that FB listed them as "final", I wrote her "Guess you'll have to wait for another time".

Today I wrote her adding "Maybe not, you can see them with metallica"  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #308 on: September 28, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Adami

« Reply #309 on: September 28, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »
Ugh. I really wish they'd go back to a crunchy metal tone as opposed to the hard rock guitar tone they've had for a while. I love the new album, but I just miss that intense guitar sound.

Don't even get me started on Kirk's current lead tones.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #310 on: October 01, 2018, 09:47:32 AM »
Wow, yeah that guitar sound is soooo crunchy. Pretty cool.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: October 01, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »
Been getting downloads (but not actually downloading) from the new Justice box set from Metallica's site. I perfer to wait and just get hit with it all at once. I haven't listened. But I am so excited to check it all out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: October 24, 2018, 07:24:02 PM »
They sold out and set a record attendance at the Bryce Jordan Center last weekend.  We had a couple floor tickets and really enjoyed the concert and experience.  I was really annoyed they didn't sell any booze, but that didnt stop the show from being awesome.  What was really cool and interesting was that I noticed that I can use the ticket stub to get a free download of the concert I attended on their official live website.  So I have the full show and it sounds pretty good, but I noticed James sounds like he's a bit sick or struggling which I didn't notice live.  Anyway, here's my video of the concert experience including the opening act of Jim Breuer

Metallica with Jim Breur LIVE at Sold Out Penn State

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: October 26, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »
Metallica - Holier Than Thou Live @ Penn State Official Video

Fuck yea, loved this song live and was hoping they'd release the video of this. 

"Holier than thou for you penn state!" as an Alum of PSU, I absolutely loved hearing James say that.  :metal :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #314 on: November 02, 2018, 07:42:28 AM »
Justice box set out today - all the audio is up on Spotify, pretty interesting stuff.

The actual remaster of the album sounds pretty solid. The remixed Seattle 89 show sounds killer. The riff tapes are really interesting as are the writing in progress stuff - lots of cool stuff in there.

Oh and for anyone looking for more bass, check out the "work in progress rough mix" versions of the songs. Definitely more bass in the mix there and Jason sounds great. Still tons of stuff I haven't listened to yet...