Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 179650 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »
The AJFA box set - https://www.metallica.com/store/and-justice-for-all-remastered-deluxe/REAJFADLX.html?cgid=Featured#start=1

Boom. Ordered. I for one consider it to be a steal at $199 (came out to 236 with tax and shipping). 11 CDs, 6 LPs, 4 DVD, a pushead print, and a 120-page hardcover book of unseen Ross Halfin pics, and a bunch of extra stuff? Yeah, I'll do that, thanks. And I like the fact there is a Rough Mixes CD of AJFA. Chances are, the "missing bass" is on that, which will be an interesting listen. And all the live stuff looks killer.

AJFA is my 3rd favorite record of all time (next to Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime and Fifth Angel's self-titled album), so this was a no-brainer. I was expecting it to be 299, and was prepared for it. But a hundred less than that made my day.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2018, 11:42:52 AM »
The AJFA box set - https://www.metallica.com/store/and-justice-for-all-remastered-deluxe/REAJFADLX.html?cgid=Featured#start=1

Boom. Ordered. I for one consider it to be a steal at $199 (came out to 236 with tax and shipping). 11 CDs, 6 LPs, 4 DVD, a pushead print, and a 120-page hardcover book of unseen Ross Halfin pics, and a bunch of extra stuff? Yeah, I'll do that, thanks. And I like the fact there is a Rough Mixes CD of AJFA. Chances are, the "missing bass" is on that, which will be an interesting listen. And all the live stuff looks killer.

AJFA is my 3rd favorite record of all time (next to Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime and Fifth Angel's self-titled album), so this was a no-brainer. I was expecting it to be 299, and was prepared for it. But a hundred less than that made my day.

I really wish bands would stop releasing stuff like this that requires folks to buy vinyl albums in order to get all the cool extras.  Why not throw in 6 8-tracks and jack up the price even more?!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2018, 11:54:46 AM »
I think the thinking is, if you're willing to spend this much, you're probably a collector, and the vinyl is a must. For me, AJFA is my favorite Metallica record, and third favorite album of all-time. I wanted a set with all the vinyl, and the CDS and DVDs. There are a bunch of other lesser options for folks (a three-disc set is out there).

For me, the whole set looks killer, but the main thing is that CD of AJFA as a rough mix. Guarantee the bass is at a normal volume on that. But again, this huge set is mostly for people who must own everything Metallica puts out, or, you're like me, and this album is one on your Mount Rushmore. The perfect combination of thrash and progressive metal. How I WISH I was at the Metallica/Queensryche tour in 1988/1989. Mindcrime is my #1 album of all time, and AJFA is #3. I mean, there would have been NO BETTER tour.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »
Well I guess that now is sealed that we’ll never have a proper remixed version of this album... that is really sad.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #249 on: September 06, 2018, 01:34:41 PM »
Well I guess that now is sealed that we’ll never have a proper remixed version of this album... that is really sad.

Right. I listened to the remixed Dyers Eve and I don't think it sounds different at all.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #250 on: September 06, 2018, 01:35:31 PM »

Right. I listened to the remixed Dyers Eve and I don't think it sounds different at all.

Remixed? You mean remastered? Or Demo version?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: September 06, 2018, 01:55:08 PM »
Remastered. Nothing has been remixed.

The Dyers Eve track is a track they are giving away so people can hear it.

The only thing that could should a different mix would be the disc of Rough Mixes, which is only available in the limited edition box. (Sure to be uploaded to YouTube by someone. LOL)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #252 on: September 06, 2018, 02:37:43 PM »
The Dyers Eve remaster actually sounded like it did have a little more bottom end to it, which is all you could really hope for with a remaster.

The box, as a whole, looks very impressive.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: September 06, 2018, 02:58:41 PM »
The Dyers Eve remaster actually sounded like it did have a little more bottom end to it, which is all you could really hope for with a remaster.

I haven't listened to it. That's cool. I am not a musician, but from my understanding mastering is the process in which the volume level of the record is adjusted to that it is even throughout the recording. Perhaps the remaster was done in such a way that it favored the bottom end. (No idea, just speculating).

Offline DTA

« Reply #254 on: September 06, 2018, 03:00:42 PM »
The Seattle '89 concert is my favorite live show released by any band. So intense. I wish I could just order that portion of the set along with the rough mix/demos.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #255 on: September 06, 2018, 03:04:57 PM »
I think the thinking is, if you're willing to spend this much, you're probably a collector, and the vinyl is a must. For me, AJFA is my favorite Metallica record, and third favorite album of all-time. I wanted a set with all the vinyl, and the CDS and DVDs. There are a bunch of other lesser options for folks (a three-disc set is out there).

For me, the whole set looks killer, but the main thing is that CD of AJFA as a rough mix. Guarantee the bass is at a normal volume on that. But again, this huge set is mostly for people who must own everything Metallica puts out, or, you're like me, and this album is one on your Mount Rushmore. The perfect combination of thrash and progressive metal. How I WISH I was at the Metallica/Queensryche tour in 1988/1989. Mindcrime is my #1 album of all time, and AJFA is #3. I mean, there would have been NO BETTER tour.

For me, vinyl is about as useful or desirable as reel to reel tapes (although I guess I could put the picture disc on a wall somewhere).  I'd be a lot more likely to buy an identical set without the vinyl for...say $150 than to pay $200 for the set with the vinyl.  And yeah, there's a 3 CD set for only $25, but it doesn't have most of the really cool stuff.  Hell...they went to the trouble of making cassette (I guess for the folks who don't want whatever the alleged benefits of vinyl are OR the pristine sound of CDs).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

« Reply #256 on: September 06, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »

I haven't listened to it. That's cool. I am not a musician, but from my understanding mastering is the process in which the volume level of the record is adjusted to that it is even throughout the recording. Perhaps the remaster was done in such a way that it favored the bottom end. (No idea, just speculating).

You also add EQ (generally) to a Master. So you can add some low end EQ. It wouldn't actually raise the bass guitar level, but could add the bass frequencies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: September 06, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »

For me, vinyl is about as useful or desirable as reel to reel tapes (although I guess I could put the picture disc on a wall somewhere).  I'd be a lot more likely to buy an identical set without the vinyl for...say $150 than to pay $200 for the set with the vinyl.  And yeah, there's a 3 CD set for only $25, but it doesn't have most of the really cool stuff.  Hell...they went to the trouble of making cassette (I guess for the folks who don't want whatever the alleged benefits of vinyl are OR the pristine sound of CDs).

Good point for sure. I'm a big vinyl guy these days, so it made sense for me. But you're right though. WIth them going so far as to do cassettes, it sorta sucks that they didn't do a vinyl-less bundle. Must be some business/profit margin reasons behind it all.

You also add EQ (generally) to a Master. So you can add some low end EQ. It wouldn't actually raise the bass guitar level, but could add the bass frequencies.

Ah ha! Ok, so some things that were inaudible before, may now come out of hiding (such as some of Jason's bass to a degree, potentially).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #258 on: September 06, 2018, 07:44:41 PM »
 So the Seattle show is LP only? That’s the show I was at! Both nights! It be great if I could at least have some lossless digital copy of it. I like vinyl, but I don’t want that to be the only way I can listen to it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #259 on: September 06, 2018, 08:10:52 PM »
I really wish bands would stop releasing stuff like this that requires folks to buy vinyl albums in order to get all the cool extras.  Why not throw in 6 8-tracks and jack up the price even more?!

:lol

You know what I fucking hate? It's that they think they can soak their fans on this. No offence Samsara....

I mean, the 20 year olds that attended the Justice tour are now 50, and can likely afford a $199 trip down nostalgia lane.

I get it. If you don't want it, don't buy it.. I get it. But I don't care if they include a free blow job. It's still TWO HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS!

Here's two FREE pics from the second row in Worcester on March 16, 1989

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:52:58 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: September 06, 2018, 09:32:45 PM »
Yeah, but haven't you previously released those two photos here somewhere? :lol

Agree with everyone else. This is a MASSIVE missed opportunity. The album should have been remixed. Period. End of.

That said, I will buy the deluxe set (I'm part of the problem, I suppose) because it's actually rather good value. And I have the others. Yeah, I'm part of the problem.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #261 on: September 06, 2018, 09:36:16 PM »
TAC....it's not just about the photos.   This is 5 LPs, 1 picture disc, 11 CDs and 4 DVDs.     Ask yourself how much those would cost if they were released on an individual basis.     Honestly TAC, you CANNOT claim they aren't giving you $200 worth of material.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #262 on: September 06, 2018, 09:39:23 PM »
TAC....it's not just about the photos.   This is 5 LPs, 1 picture disc, 11 CDs and 4 DVDs.     Ask yourself how much those would cost if they were released on an individual basis.     Honestly TAC, you CANNOT claim they aren't giving you $200 worth of material.

I think my complaint is that this is the ONLY way to buy those things.

I really want those rough mixes. I do not want the rest of it. I'm screwed if I don't want to pay 200 dollars for essentially one album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #263 on: September 06, 2018, 10:43:28 PM »
I shudder to think what the local price will be for this, MoP box goes for $360 here.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #264 on: September 06, 2018, 11:37:42 PM »
This AJFA set is such a waste without a bonus disc remix. I love this album, but it sounds like ass and I can't even listen to it anymore unfortunately, and there's no point buying another copy that still sounds like ass. Huge missed opportunity.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

« Reply #265 on: September 07, 2018, 07:23:54 AM »
Just did a quick compare/contrast with the remastered Dyer's Eve.

It's an improvement....a little. Seems they cleaned up the high end of all things, taking out some of the high mids. So it's more clear and punchy, that's about it. Bass is mostly the same.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #266 on: September 07, 2018, 08:00:58 AM »
So lets get this straight - the fans have been waiting for a remixed version of this album for years, the band had a perfect chance to do it on the album's 30th anniversary, but decided only to remaster it? That's very underwhelming, it's so odd that Lars and James chose to ignore the issues with the album. It's like they stand by their mistakes and don't show any interest in correcting them.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #267 on: September 07, 2018, 08:04:40 AM »
Guys, this is part of a series of deluxe -box remasters they are going through and doing for the whole catalog. I get with this album in particular people want a re-mix (I honestly do too) but it shouldn't have been expected. This box set is supposed to be a remaster with a ton of extras, exactly what they did with KEA, RTL, MOP, and they are already starting TBA one.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #268 on: September 07, 2018, 09:21:15 AM »
So the Seattle show is LP only? That’s the show I was at! Both nights! It be great if I could at least have some lossless digital copy of it. I like vinyl, but I don’t want that to be the only way I can listen to it.

Vinyl's will have digital download too so you'll be able to get the digital copy too.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »
I know at least Hetfield was against remixing the album, and they probably won't fix St. Anger either for the same reason: https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/james-hetfield-tells-why-hes-against-fixing-bass-and-justice-all

I get what he's saying about not wanting to replace the original, but come on - what's wrong with a full remix on a bonus disc? The original would still be there for those who like the sound as is, but those who don't would surely appreciate an alternate mix.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2018, 09:42:40 AM »
Trust me, like everyone, I want a remixed AJFA too. But given what was included in the package, I WELL got my money's worth for the deluxe set. AJFA is my third favorite album (even with the original bass mixed so low) ever, and while I am bummed there is no proper remix, I love it as much as I do even as the original. And I'm telling you, my gut feeling is that the rough mix disc will give us what we've all been asking for in enough high quality to satisfy most people. And I think that's why it is in the Deluxe set, as opposed to being available separately.

Once it is released, I am sure the rough mix disc will be all over YouTube.

But this box set is outstanding, and while I totally understand that it is overpriced for some people (no offense taken whatsoever on your comment above, TAC, no worries), for me, it was actually cheaper than I thought it would be. I am VERY pleased to pay 236 bucks (with tax and shipping) for this. I never owned AJFA on vinyl, and as large as the set is, with 11 CDs, 6 vinyls, and 4 DVDs, plus the book, it is extremely well priced.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2018, 09:45:54 AM »
^ Oh yeah, when you break down everything they include in these types of boxes, it's totally worth the price if you love the album (and band).

Offline Adami

« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2018, 09:47:01 AM »
IF you want all that stuff, it's worth the price.

But what about all the people who DON'T want all that stuff and just want some of it?

I'm hoping the rough mixes end up on youtube.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2018, 09:48:53 AM »
I have always liked the album a lot.  It is one of what I consider to be the four "essential" Metallica albums (RTL, MPA, AJFA, the Black album).  But I have never actually owned a copy.  :lol  I think now is the time.  I will likely go with the 3-disk remaster.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #274 on: September 07, 2018, 09:51:03 AM »

But what about all the people who DON'T want all that stuff and just want some of it?

Then you decide to either (1) buy it because what you DO want is still worth paying the price, (2) not buy it because what you DO want is NOT worth paying the price, or (3) steal from the band and justify in your own mind that it is "okay" because the band should have thought about catering to your specific needs, so they deserve it.

Not really a tough choice.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #275 on: September 07, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »

Of course, I was just trying to make the point that while expensive, there is a lot included. So if someone wants that stuff it's actually good value for money. There are 11 CDs alone. So if it was just CDs, it would be like $18 bucks a CD. Plus 4 DVDs, vinyl, book, etc... It's a pretty good value for everything they put in there.

Offline Adami

« Reply #276 on: September 07, 2018, 09:55:55 AM »

Then you decide to either (1) buy it because what you DO want is still worth paying the price, (2) not buy it because what you DO want is NOT worth paying the price, or (3) steal from the band and justify in your own mind that it is "okay" because the band should have thought about catering to your specific needs, so they deserve it.

Not really a tough choice.

Sure. But that justifies any kind of price requests. Want X? Fine, but it's 5000 dollars because it's only possible to buy with Y and Z as well.

Obviously I'm choosing that it's not worth it. And I'd never steal (I don't consider listening to something on youtube to be stealing) but I was just airing a grievance. I think it's lame. I'm allowed to say I think it's lame.

Also I don't think this is "catering to my specific needs". It's a widely known request from a HUGE part of the Metallica fan base for a remix of Justice. This is the closest thing and they won't sell it unless you pay 200 dollars for a bunch of other stuff you might not need. It's lame. Again, I'm allowed to say it's lame. I'm not boycotting the band or anything. They're still one of my favorite bands and that won't change.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #277 on: September 07, 2018, 09:56:39 AM »

Of course, I was just trying to make the point that while expensive, there is a lot included. So if someone wants that stuff it's actually good value for money. There are 11 CDs alone. So if it was just CDs, it would be like $18 bucks a CD. Plus 4 DVDs, vinyl, book, etc... It's a pretty good value for everything they put in there.

Oh totally. If you want all that stuff, it's an AMAZING deal. If I had more money and a record player, I'd totally get it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #278 on: September 07, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »
OK, so I calmed down and took a look at the package. The live CD's and DVD's look fantastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #279 on: September 07, 2018, 01:41:14 PM »
I, for one, am totally pumped about this. I have the other 3 box sets and will continue to get them for the other albums as they come. Metallica was #1 in my book for many years, and I love revisiting their albums, and demos, and live stuff. These releases have been a dream come true for me.

Regarding the remixed album: I totally get why they didn't do it. These boxes are supposed to represent the band in basically a time capsule... this is how it was for them, as Metallica, from 1987-1989. A remixed version of Justice from 2018 doesn't belong in this box, just as the live versions of Master of Puppets from 2006, Ride the Lightning from 2012, or Kill 'Em All from 2013 didn't belong in their respective boxes. Now, what's interesting is the Rough Mix that IS included. My guess, like Samsara's, is that this will be close to, if not exactly, what people have been looking for. And it's from 1988. So that belongs in there.

In any event, a new remix would probably not even satisfy everybody, so the band is really damned if they do, damned if they don't. So they chose to say "fuck it." And I have no problem with that.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.