Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 180027 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Metallica Thread
« Reply #2345 on: March 02, 2023, 06:27:02 AM »
I listened to the new song last night.

Not sure what was worse: the awful drum sound or the fact that it is so loud in the mix.  Like TAC, I was out after two minutes.  Insert joke.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2346 on: March 02, 2023, 07:25:32 AM »
I also only lasted for the intro.  Man, that drum sound is bad.

I'll wait til the album drops.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2347 on: March 02, 2023, 10:01:20 AM »
I lasted two minutes.

That's not bad! Did you at least get your wife something nice to make up for it?

Batteries.

Did you hand the set of Ds to her and go "BATERRY - AH" like Hetfield for extra points?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2348 on: March 02, 2023, 10:45:41 AM »
New song is a total slog…

Pro-tip: Speed the song up on YouTube or Spotify to 1.5 speed. HUUUGE improvement.

Try it!

Yeah...MUCH better.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #2349 on: March 02, 2023, 05:39:13 PM »
New song is a total slog…

Pro-tip: Speed the song up on YouTube or Spotify to 1.5 speed. HUUUGE improvement.

Try it!

Yeah...MUCH better.

Strong disagree.

I dig the tune. My first impression was that is was just okay - same as 'Screaming Suicide'. But I think these songs improve with repeated listens.

It's a vibe and as such you build it up a bit. Not unlike 'The Thing That Should Not Be' - which I always thought was a bit of a slog itself. But it has its place.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2350 on: March 03, 2023, 01:49:33 AM »
I used to not like The Thing that Should Not Be, but I think it's great now and fun to play on drums. It's simple, but I'm a novice. I make fun of Lars a lot, but I mostly play along to Metallica songs.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2351 on: March 03, 2023, 05:17:40 AM »
I thought it was pretty good. But production wise, I thought Hardwired sounded cool; here they seemed to have went too far with the clicky bass drum and fake snare. Still I prefer this to Death Magnetic style production though.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #2352 on: March 03, 2023, 11:22:46 AM »

I got my ticket to this movie.  :biggrin:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2353 on: March 03, 2023, 11:24:48 AM »
This song didn't do anything for me. Just meh. They can't all be winners I guess lol

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2354 on: March 05, 2023, 01:47:39 AM »

I got my ticket to this movie.  :biggrin:

Yep doing the same!

Regardless the thoughts on the material even just for the experience and considering the album drops the following morning will be fun.

Reckon Lux was tasty but IMO of the pre-release singles If Darkness takes the win \m/

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2355 on: March 09, 2023, 03:51:53 PM »
I’d rank the 3 singles thusly:

Screaming Suicide

Lux Aeterna

If Darkness Had a Son (this one is a slog, one of their worst imo)

Expecting the title and closing tracks to be great.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2356 on: March 09, 2023, 04:15:31 PM »
I’ve liked Darkness more on repeat listens. I just can’t get into much of Screaming Suicide. Some cool moments but doesn’t connect with me. Lux Aeturna is good even if he’s mispronouncing it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #2357 on: March 09, 2023, 09:04:08 PM »
I’ve liked Darkness more on repeat listens. I just can’t get into much of Screaming Suicide. Some cool moments but doesn’t connect with me. Lux Aeturna is good even if he’s mispronouncing it.

To me Darkness and Screaming both benefited greatly from repeated listens. I totally understand peoples complaints on the first listen - when expecting old Metallica greatness - but these songs really start to shine on repeated listens. Lux AEterna was great from the start, but a more simple song.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2358 on: March 09, 2023, 11:24:58 PM »

To me Darkness and Screaming both benefited greatly from repeated listens. I totally understand peoples complaints on the first listen - when expecting old Metallica greatness - but these songs really start to shine on repeated listens. Lux AEterna was great from the start, but a more simple song.

My problem is that I have little desire to relisten ATM. I'll just wait till the album comes out. I've lowered my expectations at this point.

Online Adami

« Reply #2359 on: March 10, 2023, 09:19:38 AM »
Unrelated two thoughts.

1) I recently found a show they did from 1986. Jason is on bass, but clearly the new guy. HOLY HELL ARE THEY PLAYING FAST. I have been a Metallica fan for like 25 years. I've seen TONS of videos of them, as well as them live, so I'm quite familiar with their live approach. This show just blew me away with how fast and intense everything was. I have no idea how James is able to down pick as fast and perfectly as he was in this show. My arm almost fell off just watching him.

2) I really miss James' old guitars. He still uses a few of the ones I love, but he has so many great explorers from over the years that he never takes out. The deer one, the diamond plated one, the white ones with curse words written on them, etc. I really miss the diversity in guitars he used to have.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2360 on: March 10, 2023, 10:35:55 AM »
Is there a link you can share?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Adami

« Reply #2361 on: March 10, 2023, 10:39:31 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ESicEzUtqk

Not sure if it'll start at the beginning but if not, just go back to it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2362 on: March 10, 2023, 10:57:49 AM »
:lol at the song titles in the comments.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: March 10, 2023, 10:58:32 AM »
Yes, they're brilliant!

Thanks, Adami.

Edit: so! Battery is over in about 4m 35s. The published length of the recorded version is 5m 13s  :hat
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2364 on: March 11, 2023, 10:02:07 PM »
Thanks for the share, this is great  :lol :metal

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2365 on: March 11, 2023, 10:22:10 PM »
That date (9/12/1986) threw me off at first. I thought it was September 12th and I was confused as to why Cliff playing with a pick...and looked like Jason Newsted  :lol Then it hit me.

Jesus christ is that fast though. Damage, Inc. is the fastest thing by them I can play, and just hearing it as this speed makes my wrist hurt.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2366 on: March 12, 2023, 09:35:12 AM »
Amazing stuff, for sure! Thanks for sharing...

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #2367 on: March 12, 2023, 11:17:17 PM »

My problem is that I have little desire to relisten ATM. I'll just wait till the album comes out. I've lowered my expectations at this point.

Yeah, I can understand that. I think part of the problem is that the mix is nice but a bit neutered. This song needs more aggression. But, I bet it will translate really well in a live setting.

Side note; anyone noticing a Ghost influence in this song?

Offline Deathless

« Reply #2368 on: March 14, 2023, 08:36:37 AM »
This is pretty wild, but a smart move since they probably have mucho cash to burn. They clearly want to continue to have control over the end-to-end distribution process for their music.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-acquires-vinyl-pressing-plant-furnace-record-pressing

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2369 on: March 14, 2023, 04:14:31 PM »
In a time when bands struggle to sell 30K units of NEW albums at all, the fact that they sold 91,000 units of Master Of Puppets (a 37-year old catalog album) on vinyl LAST YEAR ALONE is insane!

As for "cash to burn"... The fact that Jason said he was set financially before they even did the Black Album speaks volumes to the amount of money they must have.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2370 on: March 29, 2023, 01:22:42 PM »
Over on the Metallica subReddit someone was asking about Metallica songs featuring vocals that weren't James.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metallica/comments/125h4wy/rob_has_some_vocals_on_the_new_album_looking/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Some interesting tidbits came out of the post, but most shocking of all is this Metallica/Swiss Beats/Ja Rule song (yes you read that right).

https://youtu.be/mqM3Z3rWlAI

Prepare your ears because it's not good. Did any of you know about this? For context, it was apparently created using demos that Metallica recorded at the start of the St Anger sessions, before James went to rehab. According to comments (I don't know how true any of this is) Lars okay'd it when the band was in flux, James was in rehab and he had no idea whether the band were even going to be able to continue.

I find it crazy that I had no clue about this, although I'd want to keep.it under wraps if I were Metallica  :lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2371 on: March 29, 2023, 01:33:49 PM »
Metallica actually has it catalogued in their official list of songs:  https://www.metallica.com/songs/we-did-it-again.html

I recall hearing about way back when, but don't remember anything else about it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2372 on: March 29, 2023, 03:22:32 PM »
Over on the Metallica subReddit someone was asking about Metallica songs featuring vocals that weren't James.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metallica/comments/125h4wy/rob_has_some_vocals_on_the_new_album_looking/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Some interesting tidbits came out of the post, but most shocking of all is this Metallica/Swiss Beats/Ja Rule song (yes you read that right).

Prepare your ears because it's not good. Did any of you know about this? For context, it was apparently created using demos that Metallica recorded at the start of the St Anger sessions, before James went to rehab. According to comments (I don't know how true any of this is) Lars okay'd it when the band was in flux, James was in rehab and he had no idea whether the band were even going to be able to continue.

I find it crazy that I had no clue about this, although I'd want to keep.it under wraps if I were Metallica  :lol

I remember hearing it back then and not liking it. Listening to it now I remember why.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2373 on: March 30, 2023, 06:37:03 AM »
That date (9/12/1986) threw me off at first. I thought it was September 12th and I was confused as to why Cliff playing with a pick...and looked like Jason Newsted  :lol Then it hit me.

Jesus christ is that fast though. Damage, Inc. is the fastest thing by them I can play, and just hearing it as this speed makes my wrist hurt.

I remember reading in a metal magazine way back then about how amped up the first shows with Jason were. Guys were just pouring out rage and pain and aggression.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2374 on: March 30, 2023, 07:17:06 AM »

I remember hearing it back then and not liking it. Listening to it now I remember why.

I listened to it quite a bit back then because I was both into metal and modern rap/r&b. Thought it sounded really weird (the YEAH we did it part isn't even in the same key of the music). Nowadays I just categorize this under bad music.

Anyway, new song just out. Halfway through, not bad. The autotune on James' voice is a bit too obvious for my tastes though.

Online Adami

« Reply #2375 on: March 30, 2023, 07:18:22 AM »
New song was okay. I like the chorus and the bridge. The intro and verses are just too....I dunno....pointless? They sound tired and old. There's just so little energy to any of this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2376 on: March 30, 2023, 07:25:17 AM »
New song was okay. I like the chorus and the bridge. The intro and verses are just too....I dunno....pointless? They sound tired and old. There's just so little energy to any of this.

I agree with this after listening all the way through. Most of these songs are a pentatonic chug fest and it just feels tired at this point. I thought Hardwired had some good hooks and overall it had quite some variety in arrangements and musical modes, but this just feels like they want to 'rock out like they used to do', coming up with quite uninspired sounding riffs and motifs in the process. We'll see how this plays out, but so far I'm not getting my hopes up.

Looking forward to seeing the band twice in a row nonetheless at the end of April in Amsterdam!  :metal

Offline Deathless

« Reply #2377 on: March 30, 2023, 07:33:37 AM »
I enjoyed it. Again, it's a little longer than it needs to be but overall it's a solid song.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2378 on: March 30, 2023, 07:56:37 AM »
New song is OK. Is it me or do they seem to be channelling a bit more classic metal/NWOBHM than on previous releases? There are moments, specifically on this new song and Lux Æterna, where they err more that way than straight up thrash. Well I hear it, and those times I do, I think I prefer it over the rest of the song.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2379 on: March 30, 2023, 08:39:21 AM »
This album so far definitely sounds like it's their last throw.