Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 178266 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Metallica Thread
« Reply #2310 on: January 31, 2023, 11:47:52 PM »
I am outrageously envious of those of you who saw any pre-black album shows, I can't begin to tell you. I'd have loved to have seen the Puppets (whether headlining or Ozzy, and I'd have left for Ozzy!) and Justice shows, particularly Puppets. They had that air of danger back then, not to your physical being but the agression of the band, the edginess.

I find Metallica live these days to be... well... I don't want to use this analogy but I'm kind of forcing myself into it. It's like sex with a condom.

Last time I saw them was in 2017 (I think, it was around then) in Birmingham. There was a nice Kirk and Rob homage to Black Sabbath. But Halo on Fire, a good song, outstayed its welcome horribly when all four members drummed on it and the whole thing just felt corporate. Yes, corporate. That's the word. I'm not sure I want that from a Metallica show, and that's too bad, I know, because that's where they are now.

As for the last two singles, Lux Aeterna's pretty good. Suicide not so much. Why does a song need, what is it, three intro riffs? I love Metallica, despite my comments around their current live show, but I think Suicide captures everything that's wrong with their song composition since... St Anger?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2311 on: February 01, 2023, 12:18:42 AM »
I just remember that I actually had tickets to see Metallica open for Ozzy in the summer of 86. There was a *RUMOR* that Ozzy was experiencing another “VH/Black Sabbath” situation where the opening band was blowing him off the stage so terribly that people were chanting for Metallica during his headlining set.

My friend and I were 16 and HUGE into the new aggressive movement in metal (we were pretty much listening to nothing but the big 4 and anything that was on Metal Blade or Combat records) and Ozzy was in his glam phase and we were thrilled by this rumor. We were all ready to go to the Metallica show and boo Ozzy off the stage.

The show never happened. The official reason was “Ozzy has laryngitis” but we never believed it.  It would have been my only opportunity to see Cliff live and I never forgave Ozzy for that.

It was a bit of a consolation that when they finally did make it back to Seattle in December, it was a full headlining set (with Metal Church supporting The Dark) instead of just an opening set.

That was an awesome show.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2312 on: February 01, 2023, 01:08:37 AM »

The show never happened. The official reason was “Ozzy has laryngitis” but we never believed it.  It would have been my only opportunity to see Cliff live and I never forgave Ozzy for that.

All these years later and I'm sitting here feeling absolutely gutted for you.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2313 on: February 01, 2023, 01:15:31 AM »
Hit the Lights
Master of Puppets
The Shortest straw

For Whom the Bell Tolls
Battery
The Struggle Within
My Friend of Misery
The God That Failed
Of Wolf and Man
Nothing Else Matters
Through the Never
Don’t Tread On Me
Wherever I May Roam
The Unforgiven
Holier Than Thou
Sad But True
Enter Sandman

Fuel
One
Seek & Destroy
Edited to match the setlist I saw in Belgrade back in 2012. To this day, this is my only Metallica show. What a way to go, though, with the entire Black album.  :metal

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #2314 on: February 01, 2023, 04:49:31 AM »
Ah, we’re doing these, gotcha.

October 23rd, 2010. Burswood Dome, Perth, Western Australia (World Magnetic, Perth show #2)
That Was Just Your Life
Cyanide
Harvester of Sorrow
Disposable Heroes
One
Through the Never
My Apocalypse
Sad But True
No Leaf Clover
Orion
The Day That Never Comes
Master of Puppets
Fight Fire With Fire
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Stone Cold Crazy
Whiplash
Seek And Destroy

March 4th, 2013. Claremont Showgrounds, Perth, Western Australia (SoundWave finale)
Hit The Lights
Master of Puppets
Ride The Lightning
Harvester of Sorrow
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Through the Never
Of Wolf And Man
Sad But True
Fade to Black
The Memory Remains
One
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Creeping Death
Metal Militia
Seek and Destroy

October 17th, 2019. Optus Stadium, Perth, Western Australia (WorldWired Australian Leg)

Cancelled because James went to rehab.

I’ll be seeing them on the following dates of the M72 world tour:
“We are really sorry, we have tried to reschedule the Australian tour on multiple occasions, but unfortunately nothing materialized. We are hopeful that something will work out in 2025.”

Ohh, yeah. I forgot that Metallica isn’t coming back again. Sad reality.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 04:57:34 AM by Deadeye21 »
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2315 on: February 01, 2023, 05:50:05 AM »
Four Metallica shows for me so far, all memorable in their own right:

April 20th 2004, Nassau Coliseum- My first Metallica show, my third concert ever and my second proper headliner show ever (my first concert was an Ozzfest). This show was only a few weeks after my second concert ever, Dream Theater at the theater at MSG on the Train of Thought tour. Any DT bootleg fans reading this already knows that the mighty 'Tallica had a hell of a show to follow, but they delivered. Lots of live Metallica staples, but we also got a couple of the non-album songs in No Leaf Clover and I Disappear. My first live Creeping Death was a borderline religious experience. The jewel of the set though (in terms of rarity/cool factor) was getting the first Metal Militia performance since February of 1985 (at least according to setlist.fm).

October 22nd 2004, Continental Airlines Arena- I had to catch a show on the second leg of the Madly in Anger with the World tour after how much I'd enjoyed myself back in April. I was definitely rewarded with some changeups from my first show. King Nothing was and still is a Load favorite, and The God That Failed has always been my top Black Album deep cut, so both of those were a treat. Fight Fire with Fire to close out set 1 and Disposable Heroes to open set 2 was a monster 1-2 punch of underappreciated 80s gems. The two Misfits covers in the encore were fun.

January 31st 2009, Prudential Center- The least memorable of my Metallica shows. Nothing wrong with the performance, just a very vanilla setlist. Getting the full AJFA title track was cool.

May 19th 2017, Gillette Stadium- Also admittedly a straightforward Metallica setlist, this will probably always be my favorite Metallica show though just for my view. My cousin and I had regular GA seats for the show, but I kicked in a few bucks on a charity raffle that Metallica did for their All Within My Hands charity and won an upgrade to the Snakepit, the little GA section inside of the stage. Being close enough to catch a pick from James at the end of the show in a crowd of 60k people will always be an all-time concert highlight for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2316 on: February 01, 2023, 07:38:12 AM »
Never seen Metallica live, but I would like to.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2317 on: February 01, 2023, 08:23:35 AM »
The three Metallica shows I saw - each one had songs that were rarities (at the time) or that I hadn't previously seen them play.

1998 - Reload Tour (Pecatonica, IL)
The Ecstasy of Gold
Helpless
Master of Puppets
Of Wolf and Man
The Thing That Should Not Be
Fuel
The Memory Remains
Bleeding Me
Bass/Guitar Solos (incl. My Friend of Misery/… more )
Nothing Else Matters
Until It Sleeps
King Nothing (w/ The Outlaw Torn jam)
Wherever I May Roam
One
Fight Fire With Fire

Encore:
Low Man's Lyric
The Four Horsemen (Half; Acoustic)
Motorbreath (Acoustic)

Encore 2:
Sad but True (preceded by Fixxxer jam)
Enter Sandman

Encore 3:
Creeping Death (preceded by The Shortest Straw jam)

January 2000 - M2K Mini Tour
The Ecstasy of Gold
Die, Die My Darling
Fuel
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Four Horsemen
Whiskey in the Jar
The Memory Remains
No Leaf Clover
Sad but True
Creeping Death
Bleeding Me
Mastertarium
Blackened

Encore:
Nothing Else Matters
King Nothing (Includes an excerpt of The Outlaw Torn)
One

Encore 2:
Turn the Page
Enter Sandman

Encore 3:
Phantom Lord (preceded by Supernaut jam)

Summer Sanitarium 2000 (Part of the Chicago Rock Fest)

The Ecstasy of Gold
Creeping Death
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Seek & Destroy
Fade to Black
Sad but True
Fuel
No Leaf Clover
Mastertarium
Battery

Encore:
Nothing Else Matters
One

Encore 2:
Turn the Page (with Kid Rock)
Enter Sandman

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2318 on: February 01, 2023, 08:46:41 AM »
Fun fact about my 2nd time seeing Metallica... they played at Penn State (my alma mater) so I just had to be there.  I had GA floor and it was sold out, in fat, set an attendance record for the arena (where PSU basketball plays and holds concerts). I got a pic at the end of the show.  James had like a bucket that he just through handfuls out so my friend and I both got one each. Kirk and Rob tried to do a PSU song and absolutely butchered it with no crowd reaction at all which is a shame because if they could have done it slightly well, I think the arena would have been going wild to sing along.... AND this ended up being a dry concert  :lol I was so confused when I couldn't buy a beer inside the venue.

OCT 20 2018
at Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, PA, USA

Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
Seek & Destroy
Holier Than Thou
Fade to Black
Now That We're Dead
(with extended middle drum solo with all members of the band)
Play Video
Creeping Death
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Halo on Fire
(followed by Kirk & Rob's solos incl. 'The Nittany Lion' & '(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth')
Hit the Lights
Fuel
Moth Into Flame
Sad but True
One
Master of Puppets

Encore:
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2319 on: February 01, 2023, 11:46:28 AM »
I am outrageously envious of those of you who saw any pre-black album shows, I can't begin to tell you. I'd have loved to have seen the Puppets (whether headlining or Ozzy, and I'd have left for Ozzy!) and Justice shows, particularly Puppets. They had that air of danger back then, not to your physical being but the agression of the band, the edginess.

1986 was a great concert year:  Rush x2, Judas Priest, Ozzy/Metallica, Queensryche opening for AC/DC and then...Dokken.  LOL!

Ozzy on the Bark tour had been my first concert.  The Ultimate Sin was a bit of a letdown, and I was kind of pissed at Ozzy for leaving a record store signing before my friends and I made it inside (after standing in line for I don't remember how many hours).  My best friend had bought Ride the Lightning while we were still in high school.  We had a roughly 45 minute drive to school, he subjected us RTL on the drive.  I initially HATED it.  After we graduated, I heard Creeping Death somewhere and didn't hate it, so I asked to borrow his cassette.  In relatively short order, I went out and bought my own copy of the album.  I remember hearing Sanitarium on the radio for the first time while working at a Baskin-Robbins at a local mall.  We bought tickets for the Ozzy/Metallica show at Long Beach Arena and were somewhere in the 20-somethingth row on Cliff's side of the stage.  We worked our way closer to the stage during Metallica's set, and can distinctly recall ending up somewhere around the 5th row.  Just an amazing set that closed with Creeping Death, followed by a TWO song encore of Fade to Black and fucking Whiplash!  Ozzy's set lasted no more than 1:10 and was completely anticlimactic.  We could hardly believe it when he said, "thankyouiloveyouallgoodnight," and walked off the stage after Secret Loser (before returning for a three song encore).  One of the only times back then when I thought the opening band was miles better than the headliner.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2320 on: March 01, 2023, 09:31:10 AM »
If Darkness Had a Son

I like the melodic intro and the main riff, but otherwise it just trudges on for 6 and a half minutes and bores me to death. Satisfaction this way does not come.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2321 on: March 01, 2023, 09:32:29 AM »
If Darkness Had a Son

I like the main riff, but otherwise it just trudges on for 6 and a half minutes and bores me to death. Satisfaction this way does not come.

I really liked the verses. The rest wasn't bad but just kind of there. But I dug those verses. Reminded me a lot of what I loved about Load/Reload.

Oddly, I think the main riff in double time or much faster would have worked. It felt like a MUCH slower Shortest Straw riff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2322 on: March 01, 2023, 09:44:57 AM »
If Darkness Had a Son

I like the main riff, but otherwise it just trudges on for 6 and a half minutes and bores me to death. Satisfaction this way does not come.

I really liked the verses. The rest wasn't bad but just kind of there. But I dug those verses. Reminded me a lot of what I loved about Load/Reload.

I agree - the lyrics are very much of the Load era and I like seeing James return to that personal style.  Musically, it's similar to Are You Dead Yet, with the stomping rhythm.   Definitely like the song. 

Offline Deathless

« Reply #2323 on: March 01, 2023, 10:02:06 AM »
I am not sure if it's commentary/fan bias that causes me to say this, but I feel like you could have cut a minute or two off the song and it would still be fine. I enjoyed listening to it while working.

Online Adami

« Reply #2324 on: March 01, 2023, 10:02:46 AM »
I am not sure if it's commentary/fan bias that causes me to say this, but I feel like you could have cut a minute or two off the song and it would still be fine. I enjoyed listening to it while working.

I agree. This is a fine 4-5 minute song. No need for 7 minutes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2325 on: March 01, 2023, 10:08:20 AM »
If it was trimmed a little, I think there's a good song in there. I don't think this needed to be 7 mins though.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2326 on: March 01, 2023, 10:26:37 AM »
I get a strong Broken, Beat, and Scarred vibe from this one with Load/Reload vocals. Cool song but too long/repetitive

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.exe
« Reply #2327 on: March 01, 2023, 10:29:29 AM »
Song was ok. With a very by-the-numbers Kirk solo.
I’m sure this album will end up being just fine, nothing more.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2328 on: March 01, 2023, 10:41:45 AM »
Song was fine, nothing special though.  I'm kind of getting the feeling this album may not be so strong based on the singles so far.  Not that I thought any of the songs were bad, none of them really stand out either.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2329 on: March 01, 2023, 10:42:23 AM »
more like Mehtallica.  I lasted two minutes and was like "yea I got it" and turned it off.  Way too repetitive.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2330 on: March 01, 2023, 11:26:58 AM »
I enjoyed it except for the guitar solo.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2331 on: March 01, 2023, 11:59:27 AM »
I dug this.  "TEMPTATION!"

I agree that the solo did little for me, but I expect that at this point.  Kirk Hammett is to me the Anthony Keidis of metal.  :)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2332 on: March 01, 2023, 01:44:10 PM »
I dig the new tune..... catchy.. pleasant
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2333 on: March 01, 2023, 01:54:12 PM »
Gave the song a listen. I enjoyed it. Yeah, didn't care for the solo but that didn't ruin it for me.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2334 on: March 01, 2023, 03:24:42 PM »
I liked the vibe at the beginning, but the intro got long. When James started with repeating "temptation" like 4x, they just lost me. Respect to those who continue to enjoy Metallica's new music. But man, I just continue to dislike the majority of their output.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2335 on: March 01, 2023, 03:59:05 PM »
Definitely the best of the 3 new songs. I wish James’ voice had more bite to it. The deterioration is really showing here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2336 on: March 01, 2023, 04:24:38 PM »
I lasted two minutes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #2337 on: March 01, 2023, 04:25:35 PM »
I lasted two minutes.

That's not bad! Did you at least get your wife something nice to make up for it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2338 on: March 01, 2023, 04:33:31 PM »
I lasted two minutes.

That's not bad! Did you at least get your wife something nice to make up for it?

Batteries.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #2339 on: March 01, 2023, 04:37:11 PM »
I lasted two minutes.

Batteries.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2340 on: March 01, 2023, 04:53:23 PM »
A Metallica song with a long drawn out snare prominent intro?! Meh.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2341 on: March 01, 2023, 05:18:36 PM »
The lyric should have been "REPETITION!"  Got bored just shy of the 2:00 mark and started skipping through.  Nothing to see here.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Volante99

« Reply #2342 on: March 01, 2023, 05:45:43 PM »
New song is a total slog…

Pro-tip: Speed the song up on YouTube or Spotify to 1.5 speed. HUUUGE improvement.

Try it!

Online Adami

« Reply #2343 on: March 01, 2023, 06:46:55 PM »
New song is a total slog…

Pro-tip: Speed the song up on YouTube or Spotify to 1.5 speed. HUUUGE improvement.

Try it!

Woah. While I like the verses as is, the rest of the song is way better at 1.5 speed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2344 on: March 02, 2023, 02:05:48 AM »
Song was fine for me. Like the general vibe. Still got fingers and toes crossed that the album delivers more than a couple of just ok tunes.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.