Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 180025 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #2275 on: January 21, 2023, 04:44:49 PM »
I think Metallica has some of the most butthurt fans in general in the metal community, because there's still people carrying some sort of grudge towards the band for doing something different in the 90s. But I also think Metallica is partly to blame because they never put out a great album in the 00's or 10's, in my opinion. You can look at other bands like Iron Maiden for example and while the Blaze era has a similar reputation/reception to the Load/Reload era, Maiden came back strong in the 00's whereas Metallica put out St. Anger - the meme album of all meme albums, Death Magnetic that is compressed to hell and Lulu that is possibly the second most meme album of all meme albums. Hardwired wasn't really a home run either and was a bit bloated, and this new album feels like it might be something similar to that with some great stuff but some underwhelming stuff as well.

This second single felt a bit weak to me. Not really sure why they picked this as a single or even deemed good enough to be on the album, but it is what it is. Best case scenario for this album in my eyes would be a good album with a few great songs but I definitely expect a few low points as well, because that just seems par for the course with the band these days. I'm mostly hyped for the tour and finally getting to see them live, a bucket list band for me for sure.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #2276 on: January 22, 2023, 01:50:20 AM »
I don't hold anything against them for experimenting in their career. I'm just so ridiculously tired of everything pertaining to them. Nothing more. I'm even more tired of being asked "dude, did you hear the new Metallica?!?!" every time the band decides to poke their heads back into the music world. When I say I don't like it, they respond with the level of vehemence one would if I called their mother a whore.

A passing of the proverbial torch has been needed for eons, but to me, it seems they just don't want to let it go.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2277 on: January 22, 2023, 02:02:11 AM »
I'm just glad they're finally putting out material with Rob Trujillo. Even if it is a decade too late.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2278 on: January 22, 2023, 09:30:46 AM »
To echo several of you, my biggest issue with the band is their seemingly endless rise in popularity vs their output of the last 20 years. Metallica was the band that got me into metal so I definitely respect their history but they have done extremely little in the last 30 years to warrant sustained popularity.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2279 on: January 22, 2023, 09:36:24 AM »
Once you have an album go Diamond, you’re pretty much ingrained in the culture of society.  I can’t think of a single artist with a Diamond album that couldn’t tour stadiums whenever they want even if they’ve never done anything else.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2280 on: January 22, 2023, 09:37:39 AM »
To echo several of you, my biggest issue with the band is their seemingly endless rise in popularity vs their output of the last 20 years. Metallica was the band that got me into metal so I definitely respect their history but they have done extremely little in the last 30 years to warrant sustained popularity.

They've become a legacy band. You go see Metallica so you can hear songs from their first 3 albums and/or their 5th album. If they play anything after the Black Album, it's just cause they felt like it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2281 on: January 23, 2023, 08:13:23 AM »
Metallica are just one of the biggest bands on the planet and the biggest in the genre.  It's no surprise you have gate keepers and butthurters and whatnot.  Stranger Things was a good example of this being shown off. 

They've become a legacy band. You go see Metallica so you can hear songs from their first 3 albums and/or their 5th album. If they play anything after the Black Album, it's just cause they felt like it.

You aren't completely wrong, but I wouldn't really call them a legacy band yet.  They played almost all of the Hardwired album live for example. I don't think I've seen a single Metallica show that didn't play anything after the Black Album. But where I agree, is simply their lack of new material leads them to fall back to the safety of the old songs when they aren't touring for an album which they've done a bit of in 2021 and 2022.  I'd expect when the new album drops, it will be featured heavily in the setlists.  But also doing two different sets, there's no doubt it will still be filled with nostalgia songs and likely not so much from stuff post 90s.

Online Adami

« Reply #2282 on: January 23, 2023, 11:13:34 AM »
A very fair point. Metallica definitely highlight their new albums when they come out.

But, if I recall correctly, shortly after the new album tour, they go back to playing maybe 1-2 songs from it, and maybe 2 songs between Load/Re-Load, likely no songs from St. Anger unless it's the new acoustic version, and not much from DM.

Granted I'm totally cool with them ignoring DM forever, I just wish they took some more risks live. It feels like they surveyed the fans, found out what will please the most amount of people and just stuck to that. A bit boring, but I guess it works.

That said, as soon as they release any live material, be it on youtube or blu ray, I'm on it ASAP.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2283 on: January 23, 2023, 11:22:54 AM »
It happens to many bands, just not Metallica where you have classic albums that are eventually distilled down to classic songs and you get the same 3 or 4 songs played from that album, because "it's what the fans want". But if an album becomes a classic to begin with, there's usually more to it than just a few strong singles.

Even though I'm seeing Metallica on both nights when they come here, there's a few songs I would love to hear that I just know they probably won't do. Like Bleeding Me for example. Or Outlaw Torn. Love those songs but realistically if they pull something from Load it's probably gonna be one of the singles.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2284 on: January 24, 2023, 08:21:06 PM »
I only saw Metallica once (on the ReLoad tour), and they actually played Bleeding Me.  That was a pleasant surprise, and by pleasant, I mean awesome.   :metal :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2285 on: January 24, 2023, 09:25:37 PM »
Metallica are just one of the biggest bands on the planet and the biggest in the genre.  It's no surprise you have gate keepers and butthurters and whatnot.  Stranger Things was a good example of this being shown off. 

You aren't completely wrong, but I wouldn't really call them a legacy band yet.  They played almost all of the Hardwired album live for example. I don't think I've seen a single Metallica show that didn't play anything after the Black Album. But where I agree, is simply their lack of new material leads them to fall back to the safety of the old songs when they aren't touring for an album which they've done a bit of in 2021 and 2022.  I'd expect when the new album drops, it will be featured heavily in the setlists.  But also doing two different sets, there's no doubt it will still be filled with nostalgia songs and likely not so much from stuff post 90s.

This is the time Metallica could have one night be a classic only type of set. While the next night is entirely more recent songs from St. Anger - 72 Seasons.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2286 on: January 24, 2023, 09:27:07 PM »
I’ve actually been getting an itching to see them again.

I’ve been to 6 Metallica shows.

Master of Puppets tour Dec 1986
Monsters of Rock Summer 1988
Both nights of the famous Seattle Justice shows March 1989
Black Album Tour Pullman Wa (WSU campus) summer 1992
Still Black Album Summer 1994

Next year will be 30 years since I’ve seen Metallica. I suppose I’m overdue, but I’m not sure I can afford it, and I’m worried it will soil my memories.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2287 on: January 25, 2023, 08:04:10 AM »
I believe single day tickets are for sale if the two day is too much, but I can't see how it will soil your memories.  Your memories shouldn't change, you'll just be creating new ones with the current version of the band. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2289 on: January 26, 2023, 10:42:53 AM »
Well. No-one told me that Metallica covered Remember Tomorrow. THANKS, guys...  :angry:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2290 on: January 27, 2023, 08:40:16 AM »
Well. No-one told me that Metallica covered Remember Tomorrow. THANKS, guys...  :angry:

This was originally on a compilation released in 2008 with other Iron Maiden covers by DT, Avenged Sevenfold, Machinehead, Coheed and Cambria, Trivium, etc... It's a pretty good disc. Can't believe it's been 15 years :|
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2291 on: January 27, 2023, 08:49:29 AM »

This was originally on a compilation released in 2008 with other Iron Maiden covers by DT, Avenged Sevenfold, Machinehead, Coheed and Cambria, Trivium, etc... It's a pretty good disc. Can't believe it's been 15 years :|

Yeah, it's been awhile since I listened, but it's a good collection of IM cover songs from some pretty big bands.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2292 on: January 27, 2023, 03:21:32 PM »
Is that the Maiden Heaven disc that Kerrang or Metal Hammer did? If so, I actually have it somewhere! 😁

(I'm getting old... 😐)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2293 on: January 27, 2023, 03:32:38 PM »
I’ve actually been getting an itching to see them again.

I’ve been to 6 Metallica shows.

Master of Puppets tour Dec 1986
Monsters of Rock Summer 1988
Both nights of the famous Seattle Justice shows March 1989
Black Album Tour Pullman Wa (WSU campus) summer 1992
Still Black Album Summer 1994

Next year will be 30 years since I’ve seen Metallica. I suppose I’m overdue, but I’m not sure I can afford it, and I’m worried it will soil my memories.

Given the shows you have already seen, I'd feel the same. I'd suggest standing put and watching YouTube on this one. You're already immortalized having been to both those Seattle Justice shows.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2294 on: January 27, 2023, 04:39:13 PM »
Is that the Maiden Heaven disc that Kerrang or Metal Hammer did? If so, I actually have it somewhere! 😁

(I'm getting old... 😐)

YUP!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2295 on: January 28, 2023, 12:04:55 AM »

(I'm getting old... 😐)

YUP!

Brilliant. 😂

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2296 on: January 30, 2023, 07:44:08 AM »
Looking forward to the shows this year and next. Been a fan since I was a young tot in the mid '90s, and first saw them when I was a teen in 2000. Seen them 9 times since and am surprised at how at almost every show I have exclusive songs that I have yet to hear at another show (listed below).

2000 Summer Sanitarium, MA - Mastertarium medley (which blew me away that night), Turn the Page, Last Caress, So What, Die Die My Darling
2003 Summer Sanitarium, MA - St. Anger, No Remorse
2009 Death Magnetic tour, MA - That Was Just Your Life, Broken Beat and Scarred, Cyanide, ...And Justice For All, All Nightmare Long, Stone Cold Crazy
2012 Orion Festival, Night One (RTL), NJ - The Four Horsemen, Hell and Back, The Call of Ktulu, Escape, Ride the Lightning
2012 Orion Festival, Night Two (TBA), NJ - The Struggle Within, My Friend of Misery, The God That Failed, Of Wolf and Man, Through the Never, Don't Tread On Me, Holier Than Thou
2017 Hardwired tour, NJ - No exclusives, but first time hearing 5 Hardwired songs & Whiplash
2017 Hardwired tour, MA - Motorbreath (the only change between the NJ and MA shows was this one instead of Whiplash... both still great shows)
2019 40th Anniversary Show #1, CA - Orion, Fixxxer, Breadfan, Spit Out the Bone
2019 40th Anniversary Show #2, CA - Dirty Window, Am I Evil? (full version to boot!), Bleeding Me, Wasting My Hate

I'm planning on seeing them 4 times in the next two years (NJ & MA shows 23-24), so hopefully I'll get more one offs (definitely possible with the new album and the no repeat weekends).
WELP.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2297 on: January 31, 2023, 08:07:19 AM »
Only seen 'em once but what a show, the Damaged Justice tour.

I listened to Screaming Suicide again and you know what? I like the song quite a bit. I just wish the guitar tone was more lethal.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2298 on: January 31, 2023, 09:51:53 AM »
My list is similar to Ben's.

June 14, 1986 - Long Beach Arena - Puppets tour (opening for Ozzy)

December 7 & 8, 1988 - Long Beach Arena - Justice tour (Queensryche opened)

September 22, 1989 - Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre - Justice tour (Faith No More opened, but I don't recall arriving in time to see them)

January 7, 1992 - Great Western Forum - Black Album tour (doesn't look like there was an opener)

At one of the December 1988 shows, we were on the floor about halfway back.  At the start of Blackened, some clown behind us kept trying to jump on our backs (at least it felt that way).  The first couple times it happened, I gave him a dirty look.  Next time it happened, I shoved him.  Next time, I clocked him in the face.  I don't know if I triggered it or if it was going to happen any way, but the next thing I knew, I was on the bottom of a pile of people, and chairs were knocked down.  I crawled my way to the aisle and went to check on myself in the restroom before coming back.  The rest of the concert went without incident.

On the other night, we got to meet both Metallica and Queensryche backstage because my friend won a radio contest for tickets and backstage passes.  They then did a drawing from all the winners, and my friend won a Kirk Hammett autographed guitar.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2299 on: January 31, 2023, 10:35:59 AM »
My least is way easier: 2011 and 2019.

Big 4 in 2011 with, well, you know the other three bands; at my first Metallica concert I got The Call of Ktulu, overall 5 songs from Ride the Lightning, only one from Death Magnetic, Master of Puppets as second track, one of my personal favorites and relative rarity Damage INC in the encore, and my favorite song, Creeping Death, saved for last. I mean, why even bother going to other shows after this one  :lol

In 2019 it was the Hardwired tour, under the pouring rain. Ghost as support.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Metallica Thread
« Reply #2300 on: January 31, 2023, 11:34:39 AM »
Changed the thread title which had not been changed since 2014(!).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2301 on: January 31, 2023, 03:41:46 PM »
I’m not only gonna post the Metallica shows I’ve seen, but the setlists as well.

January 31st, 2009 at Prudential Center (Newark, NJ)

That Was Just Your Life
The End of the Line
Ride the Lightning
For Whom the Bell Tolls
One
Broken, Beat & Scarred
Cyanide
Sad But True
…And Justice For All
All Nightmare Long
The Day That Never Comes
Master of Puppets
Battery
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

Blitzkrieg (Blitzkrieg cover)
Hit the Lights
Seek & Destroy

September 14th, 2011 at Yankee Stadium (Bronx, NY)

Creeping Death
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fuel
Ride the Lightning
Fade to Black
Cyanide
All Nightmare Long
Sad But True
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Orion
One
Master of Puppets
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

Overkill (Motörhead cover)
Battery
Seek & Destroy

June 23rd, 2012 at Bader Field (Atlantic City, NJ)

Hit the Lights
Master of Puppets
The Four Horsemen
Sad But True
Hell and Back
The Call of Ktulu
Creeping Death
Escape
Trapped Under Ice
Fade to Black
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Ride the Lightning
Fight Fire With Fire
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

Battery
One
Seek & Destroy

June 24th, 2012 at Bader Field (Atlantic City, NJ)

Hit the Lights
Master of Puppets
Fuel
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Shortest Straw
The Struggle Within
My Friend of Misery
The God That Failed
Of Wolf and Man
Nothing Else Matters
Through the Never
Don’t Tread On Me
Wherever I May Roam
The Unforgiven
Holier Than Thou
Sad But True
Enter Sandman

Blackened
One
Seek & Destroy

May 14th, 2017 at MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ)

Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fuel
The Unforgiven
Now That We’re Dead
Moth Into Flame
Wherever I May Roam
Halo on Fire
Whiplash
Sad But True
One
Master of Puppets
Fade to Black
Seek & Destroy

Fight Fire With Fire
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Adami

« Reply #2302 on: January 31, 2023, 03:45:51 PM »
I don't have the memory for concerts y'all have. I know I've seen them twice though.

I remember one of the times it was one of those tours with Linkin Park and stuff after St. Anger came out. I got to be back stage and meet them all. Rob and Kirk were super cool. Lars was the most social and kind musician I'd met. I was completely star struck (I was young) and kept talking about Dream Theater covering MP and accidentally asked him to sign my thing twice which he gladly did. And James was.....weird. He came out while we were waiting in a jeweled vest of the American flag and then we were told we had to wait till he ate dinner. It was a while. Then when he came out he just seemed out of it. This was after rehab and stuff, so maybe he was on some meds, but it was just awkward. Nothing rude, just odd.

Was hoping to see them this tour but it's in a different state and sadly I just need to put that money to family things right now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2303 on: January 31, 2023, 04:47:03 PM »
I don't have the memory for concerts y'all have. I know I've seen them twice though.

I remember one of the times it was one of those tours with Linkin Park and stuff after St. Anger came out. I got to be back stage and meet them all. Rob and Kirk were super cool. Lars was the most social and kind musician I'd met. I was completely star struck (I was young) and kept talking about Dream Theater covering MP and accidentally asked him to sign my thing twice which he gladly did. And James was.....weird. He came out while we were waiting in a jeweled vest of the American flag and then we were told we had to wait till he ate dinner. It was a while. Then when he came out he just seemed out of it. This was after rehab and stuff, so maybe he was on some meds, but it was just awkward. Nothing rude, just odd.

Was hoping to see them this tour but it's in a different state and sadly I just need to put that money to family things right now.

As for remembering the shows, you can always go to setlist.fm and pop in the band and city or venue and you'll be able to find out the set you saw pretty easily.   Also, that's awesome that you got to meet them and it was mostly a good experience. 

I've seen Metallica 4 times now, but

May 14th, 2017 at MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ)

Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fuel
The Unforgiven
Now That We’re Dead
Moth Into Flame
Wherever I May Roam
Halo on Fire
Whiplash
Sad But True
One
Master of Puppets
Fade to Black
Seek & Destroy

Fight Fire With Fire
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

this was the first time I saw Metallica so all my other shows were more recent.  Not quite as interesting as those who've seen them from the much older shows.  Fun fact about my four shows, Holier Than Though was played at 3 of them.  According to setlist.fm, it's been played under 100 times.

Online Adami

« Reply #2304 on: January 31, 2023, 04:58:22 PM »
Oh I don’t even remember the year I saw them. But it’s all good. My memory is awful in general.

But yea, meeting Metallica was awesome. Haven’t met many bands.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2305 on: January 31, 2023, 05:02:15 PM »
Oh I don’t even remember the year I saw them. But it’s all good. My memory is awful in general.

You kind of don't need to unless a band happened to play the same venue constantly.  I think you could find the show you were looking for with relative ease. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2306 on: January 31, 2023, 05:07:02 PM »

So..the memory doesn't remain?  :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #2307 on: January 31, 2023, 05:09:53 PM »

So..the memory doesn't remain?  :neverusethis:

:lol
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #2308 on: January 31, 2023, 05:12:51 PM »

You kind of don't need to unless a band happened to play the same venue constantly.  I think you could find the show you were looking for with relative ease.

Appreciate the encouragement. Turns out the time I met them was the Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003. Setlist is pretty basic Metallica. But I remember seeing Chester from Linkin Park driving around backstage in a golf cart. And I can't remember who, but one of the other musicians trying to jump over a barrier, tripping and falling and everything thinking it was funny.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2309 on: January 31, 2023, 05:59:45 PM »
My Metallica shows, all in Vancouver, BC:

March 18, 1985 - they played a sold out show at the New York Theatre,  which had a 500-600 capacity. Armored Saint opened.

Dec 19, 1986 - Metal Church opened and due to a power outage their set was disappointingly cut short.

May 31, 1989 - The Cult opened

May 23, 1992 - no opening act

July 17, 1994 - an outdoor show with Suicidal Tendencies and Candlebox on the bill.

May 24, 1997 - Corrosion of Conformity opened

September 4, 1998 - another outdoor show with Jerry Cantrell and  Days of the New also on the bill

March 26, 2004 - Godsmack opened

December 2, 2008 - Lamb of God,and the Sword opened

August 17, 2017 - Avenged Sevenfold opened