Author Topic: Introducing new foods to the body  (Read 5761 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Introducing new foods to the body
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »
Interesting thread is interesting.

I echo what has been said regarding the effects of introducing these to your body...

Gas.
Bloating.
Natural Male Enhancement.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
If I make it to 75 with no vegetables... I'd consider that a success.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
How tall are you, Chino? 300lbs is pretty solid.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »
How tall are you, Chino? 300lbs is pretty solid.

5'11. I was 207 4 years ago on the same frame.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 02:15:09 PM »
Just more to love :heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 02:16:36 PM »
It's doesn't help that I spend the first 12 hours of my sitting.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 03:04:03 PM »
Where do you stand on salsa?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »
Sorry for answering this for you Chino, but regarding Salsa, it tastes good but the texture of everything in it is too much for me.

Similar to that, I actually like the taste of green pepper on a pizza, but the texture makes it unbearable.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »

Similar to that, I actually like the taste of green pepper on a pizza, but the texture makes it unbearable.
I love vegetables but the one topping I don't like on a pizza is green peppers. Too strong a taste. Its overpowering on a pizza for me.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »
I'm the opposite.  I love vegetables and not fond of steak.  I love it ground up but it's a texture thing for me.   I know, I look like I love many steaks in a sitting but I really don't like the texture.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 03:40:26 PM »
I'm the opposite.  I love vegetables and not fond of steak.  I love it ground up but it's a texture thing for me.   I know, I look like I love many steaks in a sitting but I really don't like the texture.
I'll eat a steak every once and awhile, but I'm not the biggest fan either. Too much chewing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »
Eating off bones too.  I know it's sacrilege.  I can for chicken wings but I prefer boneless.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »
Eating off bones too.  I know it's sacrilege.  I can for chicken wings but I prefer boneless.
Agreed there, checking wings are worth it, but if I can avoid having to deal with the bones in the first place that's just fine lol.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2014, 03:52:08 PM »
Boneless Chicken was my favorite Cow&Chicken character.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »
Boneless Chicken was my favorite Cow&Chicken character.

Great minds think alike. :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »
You might expect some problems with combinations of different foods because some people are just sensitive to different stuff. For example, my mom can't eat minced meat and cucumbers in close proximity. Also you might be sensitive to one type of onions/garlics/whatever. Sensitive = will give you a huge case of the poops :biggrin: However, I'm a person less than half your weight who doesn't eat all that much, so my idea of huge poops might be your regular morning load.

Speaking of the psychological side, I had this thing when I was a kid: I ate very slowly and very little and I was extremely picky about food and my family got annoyed with me to the point of actually shoving food into my mouth. When I became a vegetarian, I had this problem because I didn't eat many different kinds of vegetables (I don't eat fruits besides apples either, but they aren't as important to me). I immediately decided to try the "least icky" stuff on my list (rice, tomatoes and mushrooms) but I still can't eat beans and peas and similar, which I'd really need in order to boost my protein intake, nuts are crazy expensive here and I can't eat that much dairy every day. I have this exact same kind of mental blockade with the remaining stuff that you describe, down to the T. So if you get any good tips that work, follow up in this thread, I'd really like to know.

edit: the things I've begun to eat were my "auxiliary" dislikes, I found out that I just disliked certain ways of prep or different kinds. so maybe, when you find you actually like some of them in liquid forms, try to follow up with them roasted and spicy or combined with your other fave foods. When I started eating pure tomato sauce with cheese, then standalone, then tomato juice, I knew that eating raw tomatoes (first spiced up and combined with cheese and lettuce, then standalone) was a no-brainer. It's gonna happen for you, but with a lot of trial and error.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:41:18 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »
Maybe a slightly weird suggestion, but maybe you should check out stuff like Tofurkey, I.e. Vegetarian items that are designed to emulate "the real thing".  You'd get the benefit of the food, but the texture and taste of the real thing.

Also, what's your stance on veggie burgers? Those things are phenomenal in their own right.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:45:30 PM by rumborak »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »
He can probably do that, but I think I can only get stuff like that in here in specialty stores, because the vegetarian lifestyle is really unpopular here - at least 3/5 people over 40 years of age think you're gonna starve or die as a vegetarian because the national cuisine has a heavy meat bias. If I told any of my grandmas I stopped eating meat, they would faint or worse :lol I also still live with my family (another thing that's very popular around here, you don't really move out until you get married or study in a different city and then manage to get a job there), and our family meals have become very Milena-veggie-friendly so I don't wanna inconvenience them further with other weird foods.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »
Maybe a slightly weird suggestion, but maybe you should check out stuff like Tofurkey, I.e. Vegetarian items that are designed to emulate "the real thing".  You'd get the benefit of the food, but the texture and taste of the real thing.

Also, what's your stance on veggie burgers? Those things are phenomenal in their own right.

This is actually a great idea.

imo of course.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2014, 05:32:10 PM »

This is actually a great idea.

imo of course.

That is a good idea, especially the veggie burgers. Get the right ones and they're tasty as fuck and disgustingly healthy, might be a good way to transition your system to processing veggies better.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
I'd fucking live off of veggie burgers and other fake meats if I had the money to. I could so totally survive being a vegetarian .

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2014, 05:55:54 PM »
Veggie burgers make Barto sad.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »
What the heck is Quinoa? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »
Not 100% what it is... some form of grain you cook like you would rice. I recently had Quinoa patties that were grilled up like a burger. Fucking delicious.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2014, 07:30:18 PM »
I would say, while a good meat burger will beat out a veggie burger any day, you are much more likely to get a good veggie burger than a meat one.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2014, 07:39:41 PM »

A south american grain, widely considered a superfood. It's alright...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2014, 07:50:53 PM »
I know this is easy for me to say because I like vegetables but have you tried to eat roasted vegetables? They are on a different level.
For example...broccoli coated with olive oil and dusted with coarse salt and some pepper roasted at 400 degrees for half an hour is a whole other level. To me the best way to eat any veggie is roasted in the oven. You may like them that way. You may not, but try it.

I actually have just started doing this.  Am allocating a bit more fat into my diet and decided to try this with some carrot, pumpkin and sweet potato and it is indeed one of the most delicious things ever.  Gotta try the broccoli.  I like broccoli steamed, can't imagine what roasted would taste like.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
Never been a big fan of broccoli. It has to be steamed to death, and embedded in some overwhelming spice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2014, 09:11:05 PM »

Just had it with my crispy skinned salmon for lunch.  Quite delicious.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »
I was never much into veggies when I was younger, but I do really like most of them now.

Try getting soup with really well-cooked veggies in it.  If they get mushy enough they'll take on the same texture as the noodles.  (I know you also said you have issues with some noodle shapes...oy vey). 

Also, as others have mentioned, sautee or roast them with salt, pepper, garlic, and either olive oil or butter.  Or you can try smothering them with cheese.  While that certainly won't make them healthy, it could at least provide a gateway to getting you used to eating them. 

Or try juicing or making yourself smoothies- but instead of making them with straight fruit/milk/yogurt, throw some random veggies in there too.  If I made you a strawberry smoothie and happened to throw a few cucumber slices or carrot slices into the blender, you probably wouldn't even know. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
Also, I'll make the suggestion of sugar snap peas.  I love those so much, and they're delicious raw.  They're crunchy and sweet, almost like candy. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2014, 11:25:47 PM »
Cabbage, boiled to near-transparency in chicken broth with little pieces of bacon... Oh man. :drool:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2014, 05:45:37 AM »
Nutribullet comes in today. I'll make a video of me making/drinking something.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2014, 05:47:47 AM »
Nutribullet comes in today. I'll make a video of me making/drinking something.

You should keep a video diary of the whole journey as you lose the weight and kick ass drinking vegetables and Nutribullet will probably pay you a fortune to plaster your mug all over the TV  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2014, 05:49:32 AM »

I was quoting the Bud Light commercial my friend.