Author Topic: The Official Skyharbor Thread - Guiding Lights  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
The Official Skyharbor Thread - Guiding Lights
« on: November 07, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »
I know we've been talking about Skyharbor on-and-off in the TesseracT thread for awhile now, but now that the band's second album is about to come out, I figured it'd be a good idea to go ahead and open up a thread for them here.

Speaking of Guiding Lights, I'm listening to it right now and I'm stunned at how good it is. Massive improvement from the first album! It sounds like an insane mix of Porcupine Tree, Deftones and TesseracT. Very atmospheric and moody, but also incredibly melodic and progressive. It's definitely Daniel Tompkins' finest hour to date as a vocalist.

Probably my album of the year.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Skyharbor Thread - Guiding Lights
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:01:47 PM »
Catching up on 'Guiding Lights' now, and it's very good indeed.

Though that girl speaking at the end of 'Halogen' was beyond embarrasing. But besides that, great stuff.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 05:27:26 AM »
Great stuff! Listening to Guiding Lights right now.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Newmz

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 10:17:52 AM »
I have guiding lights, but I haven't given it a listen in a while. I should do that today.

Offline krands85

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
 Anyone seen them live? I'm hopefully seeing them next week with sleepmakeswaves and Tides from Nebula. I checked out their most recent album, but it didn't grab me much on a first listen, hopefully it's a grower.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »
Anyone seen them live? I'm hopefully seeing them next week with sleepmakeswaves and Tides from Nebula. I checked out their most recent album, but it didn't grab me much on a first listen, hopefully it's a grower.

I think it is. I liked it on my first listen, but couldn't really remember many songs individually. But once I started to get more of a grasp on the different songs and work out their "personality" within the album it becomes even better.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »
Guiding Lights is amazing. That's all there is to say :hearts:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »
I like Guiding Lights but I don't love it. It's nice enough to listen to but I can barely remember any of it after it's over.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 12:46:45 PM »
So Dan Tompkins left the band. That's a shame, his work on both albums has been great, especially Guiding Lights. But if this means a greater commitment to TesseracT, I'm all for it.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »
Oh, man.  The way some of these young bands are shuffling around vocalists is a little bit of a bummer, but it does make sense as Tompkins needs to focus on Tesseract.  I hope they all have a steady lineup for a few years now.  The new guy does seem like he has a strong voice.  Here's him singing "Evolution": https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=itGs0KHKg1g
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 01:30:35 PM »
Yeah, that guy sounds pretty good. I'm not overly crazy about his slightly hoarse style, but I'll probably warm up to that pretty quickly.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 04:34:54 PM »
I hate that Dan left Skyharbor especially after the progression I thought Guiding Lights was, but I had a feeling it was coming with his return to Tesseract. I just hope that means he will STAY with Tesseract for some time. The guy is a talent but all the jumping around he's done makes my head spin.

There are some really talented vocalists in the scene but there has been lots of movement amongst them.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 11:54:53 PM »
Wow that's a shame :(
I personally prefer Skyharbor over Tesseract, both musically and vocally, so I'm pretty bummed :-\

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »
New single 'Out of Time', with the new singer. I think the vocals sound great, but I'm not too fond of the track. Excited for the next album though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUEWqCezLUg

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 08:08:31 PM »
New single 'Out of Time', with the new singer. I think the vocals sound great, but I'm not too fond of the track. Excited for the next album though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUEWqCezLUg

Eric sounds fantastic. He's going to do well with the band, I think. His voice is slightly raspier or darker sounding than Dan's, but he fits the band really well. I'm really interested in hearing him sing Patience, surprisingly enough.

As for the new song itself, I like it a lot personally. The production isn't quite as fine-tuned as Guiding Lights, but I figure they'll probably fix that before they release the album proper next year.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 08:53:43 AM »
So the new Skyharbor album is scheduled to come out in February of next year! Looking forward to it! They just released a new music video too! :hefdaddy Kinda reminds me of Cynic. :hat

https://teamrock.com/news/2016-09-23/skyharbor-release-video-for-new-single-chemical-hands
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 09:15:52 AM »
Not sure why but nearly everyone is hating on this new song. I like it a lot!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 09:41:19 AM »
After one listen I think it's fine. Probably better than Out of Time, but nowhere near as good as Blind Side, which is just absolutely wonderful.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 07:50:44 AM »
Has anybody checked out their newest album Sunshine Dust? Great stuff.

I'll be seeing them in San Antonio on Friday  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »
Has anybody checked out their newest album Sunshine Dust? Great stuff.

I'll be seeing them in San Antonio on Friday  :metal

I have it on iTunes. Listened to several of the individual songs, but I haven't really been in the mood to listen to the whole thing yet from start-to-finish. The title track is awesome though! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline romdrums

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 08:31:04 AM »
I dug it a lot at first but I haven't listened to it much lately.  I kinda soured on it after seeing Sahaj Ticotin was involved with it, which explains a lot of the generic, vaguely angsty, bro-ish nature of the lyrics and some of the choruses.  Parts of the record are really good, and other parts are exactly what I would expect to hear on Midwest Rock Alternative radio stations right next to Seether and Breaking Benjamin.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.