Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369423 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #4025 on: November 24, 2020, 09:40:46 AM »
I would think he surely does. The whole marketing campaign for this album feels very tongue-in-cheek.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4026 on: November 24, 2020, 10:05:01 AM »
Does he see the irony? *insert lyrics of Personal Shopper here*  ;)

But at least it's for a good cause.

I think that’s exactly what this whole thing is about ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4027 on: November 24, 2020, 11:27:32 AM »
He's probably sitting at home, laughing about it all. But sometimes I'm not sure if he's not really an arrogant snob.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4028 on: November 24, 2020, 01:28:48 PM »
Listened to the single just before passing out last night. It was....okay. This is certainly shaping up to be an interesting album, but with every single I listen to, I'm more and more glad I didn't shell out for the big box set and just pre-ordered the normal CD.

I wonder if this will be the last single release considering the album is due out in less than 2 months? I also wonder if he wishes he just released the album in the summer because at this rate, it doesn't look like he'll be able to tour the way he wants to for at least another half-year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4029 on: November 24, 2020, 08:39:13 PM »
Does he see the irony? *insert lyrics of Personal Shopper here*  ;)

But at least it's for a good cause.

I think that’s exactly what this whole thing is about ;)

I'm loving it... :lol :lol

But damn, that is one expensive designer handbag. :biggrin:

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline emtee

« Reply #4030 on: November 25, 2020, 03:54:51 AM »
Very milquetoast song. Without the lyrics it's entirely forgettable. Nothing to grab my attention and hold it. Background music while doing chores. Gonna pass on this release and see how he morphs next time.

Props to him for following his muse though.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4031 on: November 25, 2020, 08:16:08 AM »
I stopped paying attention to the singles. It's better to wait for the whole thing.  ;D

As with Transatlantic's new upcoming release, I haven't heard any of the new tracks or samples of the new albums. Will just hear the entire thing. I've found I enjoy the album a lot more when I do that, similar to not watching trailers for upcoming movies or shows.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #4032 on: November 25, 2020, 08:42:53 AM »
Very milquetoast song. Without the lyrics it's entirely forgettable. Nothing to grab my attention and hold it. Background music while doing chores. Gonna pass on this release and see how he morphs next time.

Props to him for following his muse though.

I've heard it once and have no desire to hear it again, which is extremely weird for me after being a huge fan of his since 2002. The whole song and arrangement/chords is typical SW but I'm not feeling the magic this time around.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online goo-goo

« Reply #4033 on: November 25, 2020, 09:06:39 AM »
Sounds like a Blackfield song. Same as emtee, not feeling this one either.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4034 on: November 25, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
At this point I have heard more than half of the album (4 singles together are somewhere in the 20 minutes total, album is 42 minutes) and basically every song is solid but forgettable for me, which means at least half the album is. So this time I'll pass buying it as well.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4035 on: November 27, 2020, 08:44:08 AM »
Music video for Personal Shopper

https://youtu.be/sX22dFMSNcg

That is a fantastic music video. Perfectly describes the song. Perfect for today as well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4036 on: November 28, 2020, 08:41:42 AM »

That is a fantastic music video. Perfectly describes the song. Perfect for today as well.

Great video.  The song is still one I merely like, but I almost always like videos that are that arty and creative.  :hat :hat

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4037 on: November 28, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »

Great video.  The song is still one I merely like, but I almost always like videos that are that arty and creative.  :hat :hat

The entire album is very creative and arty. Reminds me of Bowie, in that Art aspect. And Prince with the creativity within the art and music. Actually this album is reminding me of a mix of Bowie and Prince. But we'll see when it gets released.

I do see Steven Wilson as a bit of a modern day Bowie. Not in terms of crazy outfits and probably not even in terms of how he sounds. Just a guy who makes sophisticated intelligent music and doesn’t pander to his audience but still manages to be successful.  He’s nowhere near the legendary status of David Bowie nor has he written iconic songs so I am not putting him on that level, I just kind of see him as an artist of the same ilk.

While typing that and looking for something else, saw this. It's not just me then, and a lot of other people likely notice this. :lol

Makes me wonder just exactly how he was planning on doing the touring. How he would've fit that aspect into the concept, with the ticketing, venues, promotion, and Day of show dealings within the venue. Kind of like how Dream Theater had that NOMAC screen to give you your Astonishing name and whether you are either part of Ravenskill or Great Northern Empire.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4038 on: November 28, 2020, 12:10:02 PM »

The entire album is very creative and arty. Reminds me of Bowie, in that Art aspect. And Prince with the creativity within the art and music. Actually this album is reminding me of a mix of Bowie and Prince. But we'll see when it gets released.

When you look at the direction he went on To the Bone and the sound of these new songs so far, I think it goes without saying that the deaths of Bowie and Prince made him want to chase the internal part of his musical self that has always been influenced by those two.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4039 on: November 28, 2020, 10:41:25 PM »

When you look at the direction he went on To the Bone and the sound of these new songs so far, I think it goes without saying that the deaths of Bowie and Prince made him want to chase the internal part of his musical self that has always been influenced by those two.

I never realized about that. Good point. That makes a lot of sense, and shows just how much the music of Prince and Bowie really affected Steven.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4040 on: November 29, 2020, 03:25:49 AM »

Very interesting point indeed!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4041 on: December 08, 2020, 04:50:28 AM »
No one commenting on the EP?  I really like 2 of the 3 new songs, not sure about Move Like a Fever yet. Love Eye Witness and Love the chorus of In Floral Green.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4042 on: December 08, 2020, 08:36:06 AM »
No one commenting on the EP?  I really like 2 of the 3 new songs, not sure about Move Like a Fever yet. Love Eye Witness and Love the chorus of In Floral Green.

Well, I plan to listen to all released songs together with the album, once I am able to listen to the whole thing ;) I already have the Eminent and 12 Things vinyl singles standing in my collection, unopened. It seems like there is actually more "extra" music than on the actual album  :lol I hope, Steven will release this EP on vinyl, too.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4043 on: December 08, 2020, 09:01:53 AM »

Well, I plan to listen to all released songs together with the album, once I am able to listen to the whole thing ;) I already have the Eminent and 12 Things vinyl singles standing in my collection, unopened. It seems like there is actually more "extra" music than on the actual album  :lol I hope, Steven will release this EP on vinyl, too.

Listening to B-sides won’t spoil the album though surely. The remix of the album track bears virtually no resemblance to the album version either. It’s barely even recognisable as the same song.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4044 on: December 08, 2020, 11:52:16 AM »
Sorry, just re-read what you said, now I get it.  For me it’s something to tide me over until the album arrives!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4045 on: December 08, 2020, 02:04:37 PM »
Sorry, just re-read what you said, now I get it.  For me it’s something to tide me over until the album arrives!

In the beginning it was quite hard, but now I got used to resisting the pre-released songs of my favourite artists. I want hear everything together with fresh ears ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4046 on: December 08, 2020, 03:22:44 PM »
I heard Eyewitness a few weeks ago and love it to pieces. Easily my favorite so far, and it's not even an album track! SW is funny like that sometimes.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4047 on: December 08, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »

In the beginning it was quite hard, but now I got used to resisting the pre-released songs of my favourite artists. I want hear everything together with fresh ears ;)

Oh, I totally get not listening to actual album tracks as you can wear out those songs by the time the album arrives if you’re not careful. Not really thought about B-sides so much but I suppose if you’re going to kind of add them onto the album it makes more sense.  I can’t resist even when it’s album tracks but I do try to limit myself and not listen to them too many times. With this B-sides EP though, I just see it as a separate entity and it won’t spoil the proper album for me by listening to it as I probably won’t listen to them together.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4048 on: December 11, 2020, 06:15:24 PM »
Voyage 34 is the latest in the Future Bites sessions!  This might be my favorite version of it yet, as it is more compact and not so drawn out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Ql5nVY4Ao

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4049 on: December 11, 2020, 10:39:49 PM »
So here's a question about Voyage 34.

It was recorded and released well before I became a Steven Wilson fan, and I've never bothered buying it (or indeed listening to it). Yesterday, he announced he would be playing it on tour next year so I looked it up on Spotify. There are four separate parts to the track listed there but on reading up about it, it appears only Phase I and Phase II may make up the actual track since Phases III and IV appear to be remixed added a later date. Phase II also appears to have been added at a later date but seems to have been an extension of the original track. Am I understanding this correctly? Will it just be Phase I he's likely to play?

Too much confusion for this early on a Saturday morning!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DTA

« Reply #4050 on: December 12, 2020, 05:35:35 AM »
So here's a question about Voyage 34.

It was recorded and released well before I became a Steven Wilson fan, and I've never bothered buying it (or indeed listening to it). Yesterday, he announced he would be playing it on tour next year so I looked it up on Spotify. There are four separate parts to the track listed there but on reading up about it, it appears only Phase I and Phase II may make up the actual track since Phases III and IV appear to be remixed added a later date. Phase II also appears to have been added at a later date but seems to have been an extension of the original track. Am I understanding this correctly? Will it just be Phase I he's likely to play?

Too much confusion for this early on a Saturday morning!

There's probably less than zero chance you'd see anything other than Phase I. I think Phase II made some impromptu appearances back in the early to mid 90's, but only Phase I has seen any sort of regular live play over the years.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4051 on: December 13, 2020, 03:12:41 AM »
Thanks for that. It's a really good track. Strange how I'd never heard it before now.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DTA

« Reply #4052 on: December 13, 2020, 03:32:38 AM »
It's a pretty unique song in PT's catalog. Have you heard Up The Downstair and Sky Moves Sideways? They're the closest to that sound/style

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4053 on: December 13, 2020, 09:28:48 AM »
I love voyage 34! I think it’s a perfect example of how borrowing an idea, fleshing it out, and making it your own can be extremely healthy for artistic expression.

He basically took the first 20 seconds of Run Like Hell, slowed it down ever so slightly, and then “riffed” on the idea for 15 minutes. I think it’s absolutely brilliant.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4054 on: December 15, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »

Anyone got links to this EP/b-sides?

Actual b-sides in 2020 is a small miracle.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4055 on: December 15, 2020, 11:22:11 PM »

Anyone got links to this EP/b-sides?

Actual b-sides in 2020 is a small miracle.

It's on Spotify, if you have access.

Thanks for the info about Voyage 34, folks. It really is a splendid track, isn't it? Also like the shortened version he's just put out on YouTube as part of The Future Bites Sessions. Actually, he's done some really nice stuff as part of those.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Bentower

« Reply #4056 on: December 16, 2020, 05:42:50 AM »
The EP tracks are also on his YouTube channel.

I dug Eyewitness and the Tangerine Dream remix the most, more so than the actual album cuts from The Future Bites.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4057 on: December 31, 2020, 01:16:04 PM »
Steven Wilson just released a video of him covering a recent Taylor Swift song to close out 2020.

Yep. That's 2020 for ya.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4058 on: December 31, 2020, 01:20:04 PM »
As a recent convert to Taylor Swift (her two 2020 albums, mainly), this is pretty cool to see. 

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4059 on: December 31, 2020, 02:06:10 PM »
Steven Wilson just released a video of him covering a recent Taylor Swift song to close out 2020.

Yep. That's 2020 for ya.

-Marc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUGVuqakYtE