Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369414 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3990 on: October 30, 2020, 12:48:50 PM »
sigh...it's like that time when people had the ridiculous idea that Same Asylum was Prodigal again...

This thread is insanely toxic.

What? :rollin
Nobody's even attacking anyone here. You can have the opinion that pointing out similarities between songs is stupid and pointless (I don't entirely disagree) but where the hell are you pulling "toxic" from?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3991 on: October 30, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »
Is the red lettering over Steven Wilson's face really the cover for this album?  :rollin

Talk about analog  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3992 on: October 30, 2020, 01:01:03 PM »
Oh, wait, was that too toxic  ::)

Online HOF

« Reply #3993 on: October 30, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »
Same Asylum being like Prodigal seems like a fair, reasonable comparison. Not exactly the same of course, but similar styles/arrangements/choruses.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3994 on: October 30, 2020, 01:17:49 PM »
Same Asylum being like Prodigal seems like a fair, reasonable comparison. Not exactly the same of course, but similar styles/arrangements/choruses.

There's definitely some similarities, especially the post-chorus riffs. That, of course, doesn't make them the same song. It makes sense for an artist to repeat themselves stylistically and compositionally here and there.

Oxygen on the other hand... just listened to that for the first time and I would have never compared that to Hand Cannot Erase. They barely sound alike at all.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3995 on: October 30, 2020, 09:17:06 PM »

There's definitely some similarities, especially the post-chorus riffs. That, of course, doesn't make them the same song. It makes sense for an artist to repeat themselves stylistically and compositionally here and there.

Oxygen on the other hand... just listened to that for the first time and I would have never compared that to Hand Cannot Erase. They barely sound alike at all.

It's mainly the Vocals rhythm and style, also it has that same vibe...I found that similarity pretty neat.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3996 on: October 31, 2020, 09:14:25 AM »
Speaking of SW interviews, does anybody else listen to his podcast with Tim Bowness? They basically pick a year and then talk about all the albums they know from that year. It’s very well done and highly entertaining even if you don’t know all the music they’re talking about (and it’s a cool way to learn about new stuff).

What makes it really cool (I think) is you get their perspective as fans/music enthusiasts, but also as musicians and producers/engineers. So they can talk about all levels of an album articulately and intelligently.

I've been listening to it. I love the podcast but I wish they would slow down just a bit, they both sound like drank a gallon of coffee right before the podcast.

Online HOF

« Reply #3997 on: October 31, 2020, 09:17:55 AM »
Speaking of SW interviews, does anybody else listen to his podcast with Tim Bowness? They basically pick a year and then talk about all the albums they know from that year. It’s very well done and highly entertaining even if you don’t know all the music they’re talking about (and it’s a cool way to learn about new stuff).

What makes it really cool (I think) is you get their perspective as fans/music enthusiasts, but also as musicians and producers/engineers. So they can talk about all levels of an album articulately and intelligently.

I've been listening to it. I love the podcast but I wish they would slow down just a bit, they both sound like drank a gallon of coffee right before the podcast.

This was not something I anticipated from either of them (the talking a million miles an hour thing). I expected them to be more like the NPR radio hosts from SNL, but this is more like Fry and Laurie.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3998 on: November 01, 2020, 01:37:34 AM »
I don't care if SW wants to make prog or not, that's not why I didn't really feel the first two singles. Personal Shopper starts out in pure dark SW mode, but then the ABBA choruses just turn me off. Eminent Sleaze has fantastic production but the song just doesn't make me feel anything. I also don't think it's funky or anything.. it sounds too intellectual to really groove.

But King Ghost though, I have to say I'm relieved to hear he's still got it this time around. Really a beautiful track. Love the synth patterns and vocal production. The wordless chorus with the falset voice works very well! The melody is so strong, I'm not bothered at all by the absence of actual lyrics there.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3999 on: November 01, 2020, 04:48:30 AM »
This thread is insanely toxic.

Dude that's nothing. Have you seen the comments on Wilson's Facebook page?

Also, I am in a German progressive rock community on Facebook and somehow they always bash him, no matter what he does. I think it has something to do with prog fans not liking when one of their artists is becoming commercially successful because then that artist is no longer an insider's tip and the fans are not better than others anymore because they know and listen to said artist. Sometimes one of those guys writes "okay, this is actually not that bad" under a link someone posted in there and I always have to think "wow thank God you like it, I'm sure Steven will be very happy to hear that YOU have mercy with him and that he could please you". Of course everyone can like what they want to and dislike Wilson's new direction. But I am sick of so many people being so full of themselves thinking they could tell someone like Steven Wilson what to do. I have read somewhere that liking his new music is betrayal (!) to the older stuff. As mentioned, like what you want, but that arrogance is just making me sick.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4000 on: November 01, 2020, 05:35:21 AM »
I read through SW's page and it's truly pathetic but not shocking.

Offline emtee

« Reply #4001 on: November 01, 2020, 06:07:13 AM »
Very enjoyable song. I would prefer acoustic sounding percussion elements but I still like it. Love the chorus.

Offline Kram

« Reply #4002 on: November 01, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »
Easily the best song of the 3.  But as someone else said, that's not saying much.  I love that he's always trying new things and being truly "progressive", even if I don't always like it.  You can't hit a home run every time - especially when you change your style this drastically.  So while all indications so far are that this will be my least favorite of his solo records, based on the apparent style and the songs we've heard so far - I hold out hope that his next release will be a complete 180 and something that does resonate with me.

Online HOF

« Reply #4003 on: November 01, 2020, 01:50:09 PM »
Gotye does that style of music better.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4004 on: November 01, 2020, 03:17:44 PM »
Gotye does that style of music better.

+1
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4005 on: November 01, 2020, 03:35:21 PM »
I am in a German progressive rock community on Facebook and somehow they always bash him, no matter what he does.
There's only two kinds of prog communities: "DT is washed up and they need to retire" and "SW has lost the plot and he should retire".

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4006 on: November 01, 2020, 05:28:00 PM »
The three singles have grown on me a lot in the past day or so, & King Ghost also is my favourite of the three. :tup

(edit: typos)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:05:15 PM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4007 on: November 02, 2020, 06:05:24 AM »
I think Steven's falsetto isn't very good. Other than that, I do think it's a solid song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4008 on: November 03, 2020, 07:40:21 AM »
I watched that interview he did the other week and the outcry over him calling PT a side project seems even more ridiculous now. He was talking about his career as a whole and how it started with No-Man and PT when it was formed was basically the side project to that, and when PT took off the focus shifted more towards that and No-Man became the side project essentially. But judging on some of the response on FB and reddit, and the headlines of some articles you would have thought he said something outrageous.

It's been a while since SW made an album I really liked (GFD, but even in retrospect a lot of that love has faded) and with Raven, HCE and TTB his albums have fallen lower and lower on my 'best of the year' lists, even though I've still enjoyed them. So while my hype for a new SW album in 2020 isn't nearly as big as it was a decade ago, I think the fact he is shaking things up and going for something different is still keeping the spark alive for me. Even though none of the songs so far have wowed me, I'm still very much interested to hear the new stuff once it comes out. SW talked in the interview about how many bands find their niche or winning formula and they build a career out of that but he was always wants to try new things. I think 'admire' is a good word. There are bands I like more than SW that I feel less admiration for because they are sticking to what they know. With SW you can tell a lot of fans won't like this and some are even outraged about it, and he's doing it because he wants to.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4009 on: November 03, 2020, 12:16:17 PM »
Easily the best song of the 3.  But as someone else said, that's not saying much.  I love that he's always trying new things and being truly "progressive", even if I don't always like it.  You can't hit a home run every time - especially when you change your style this drastically.  So while all indications so far are that this will be my least favorite of his solo records, based on the apparent style and the songs we've heard so far - I hold out hope that his next release will be a complete 180 and something that does resonate with me.

I was trying to think of another artist who has morphed this much over a 10 to 15 year period and I guess the only thing that comes close in my collection would be Pain of Salvation who kind of went from Prog metal to almost a grunge style (Roadsalt albums) then back to prog metal with the last two albums.

I only really like a very small slice of Steven Wilson's overall output.  The only albums of his that I ever listen to are In Absentia, Deadwing, The Raven and Hand.Cannot.Erase - so my expectations for his albums are always pretty low, but I'm with you, I'd really like to hear something more in line with The Raven or HCE

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4010 on: November 04, 2020, 04:11:47 PM »
I watched that interview he did the other week and the outcry over him calling PT a side project seems even more ridiculous now. He was talking about his career as a whole and how it started with No-Man and PT when it was formed was basically the side project to that, and when PT took off the focus shifted more towards that and No-Man became the side project essentially. But judging on some of the response on FB and reddit, and the headlines of some articles you would have thought he said something outrageous.

It's been a while since SW made an album I really liked (GFD, but even in retrospect a lot of that love has faded) and with Raven, HCE and TTB his albums have fallen lower and lower on my 'best of the year' lists, even though I've still enjoyed them. So while my hype for a new SW album in 2020 isn't nearly as big as it was a decade ago, I think the fact he is shaking things up and going for something different is still keeping the spark alive for me. Even though none of the songs so far have wowed me, I'm still very much interested to hear the new stuff once it comes out. SW talked in the interview about how many bands find their niche or winning formula and they build a career out of that but he was always wants to try new things. I think 'admire' is a good word. There are bands I like more than SW that I feel less admiration for because they are sticking to what they know. With SW you can tell a lot of fans won't like this and some are even outraged about it, and he's doing it because he wants to.

That's basically Social Media in a nutshell. People post all this ridiculousness in their comments. But, once you actually look at it yourself, you find out it's not exactly what they are portraying it to be. It's why I really try not to assume much of anything anymore, until I actually see it for myself, if I am able to. If not, I then make an assumption with the momento it can change when I get more information.

It is pretty funny though once you really snap, these bands are considered PROGRESSIVE. And are actually doing what that term describes. They're progressing the way they compose their music. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it either, but they are doing what their Genre entails and fans are upset about it. So I find that funny as all hell.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4011 on: November 06, 2020, 09:57:15 PM »
So I got my Eminent Sleaze single CD last week and... I haven't listened to it yet. I've kind of been luke-warm on his music lately. The recent singles were OK, but I think I won't enjoy them until I hear the whole album in context. I honestly don't know why I got the single. Maybe because it seemed like it would be difficult to buy later on? I have regretted not buying the big deluxe editions of his earlier albums.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4012 on: November 07, 2020, 03:39:08 AM »
So I got my Eminent Sleaze single CD last week and... I haven't listened to it yet. I've kind of been luke-warm on his music lately. The recent singles were OK, but I think I won't enjoy them until I hear the whole album in context. I honestly don't know why I got the single. Maybe because it seemed like it would be difficult to buy later on? I have regretted not buying the big deluxe editions of his earlier albums.

-Marc.

I bought the Eminent Sleaze Record Store Day vinyl single for exactly that reason. It's still sitting right next to the Home Invasion box set within my collection - wrapped ;) Just like you, I won't listen to the singles Steven puts out. In fact, I haven't heard a single note from the new songs.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4013 on: November 08, 2020, 11:17:57 AM »
About time I listened to King Ghost, and as always with the songs I don't bother with until late, It's great.

I'm loving the synth key sounds, and the beat behind those.

This one has solidified my interest in buying the cd.

Offline emtee

« Reply #4014 on: November 08, 2020, 01:54:11 PM »
Not to derail...I would put Bowie very high on the list of those who morphed drastically.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4015 on: November 08, 2020, 02:01:18 PM »
I do see Steven Wilson as a bit of a modern day Bowie. Not in terms of crazy outfits and probably not even in terms of how he sounds. Just a guy who makes sophisticated intelligent music and doesn’t pander to his audience but still manages to be successful.  He’s nowhere near the legendary status of David Bowie nor has he written iconic songs so I am not putting him on that level, I just kind of see him as an artist of the same ilk.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4016 on: November 24, 2020, 01:47:48 AM »
https://youtu.be/7wZrYAgf8d8

New single premiers in less than 13 minutes. I'd stay up to listen to it but I'm really tired, so I'll check back in the morning.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4017 on: November 24, 2020, 02:11:59 AM »

New single premiers in less than 13 minutes. I'd stay up to listen to it but I'm really tired, so I'll check back in the morning.

-Marc.

I wish Steven would just stop releasing singles off this album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4018 on: November 24, 2020, 02:15:26 AM »

-Marc.

Hasn't he released the whole album as individual songs by now? :p

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4019 on: November 24, 2020, 02:16:29 AM »

-Marc.

Yeah, for someone who's said he doesn't like releasing singles out of context, he sure seems to be doing that a lot this time, especially for such a short album. Maybe it's just a consolation for the huge delay, but still strange.

Anyway, I liked the song. It's quite poppy & radio-friendly, but the melodies are strong & I like the production. It also reminds me a lot of 2000s Porcupine Tree (namely The Rest Will Flow). This isn't what I was expecting, but I'll gladly take it. :tup
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4020 on: November 24, 2020, 02:51:49 AM »
I stopped paying attention to the singles. It's better to wait for the whole thing.  ;D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4021 on: November 24, 2020, 05:37:45 AM »
From Steven’s FB page:

THE FUTURE BITES. ULTRA DELUXE MUSIC PRODUCT ON OBSOLETE MEDIA. LIMITED EDITION OF ONE. £10,000. All proceeds to Music Venue Trust. https://store.thefuturebites.com

In addition, new single 12 THINGS I FORGOT from THE FUTURE BITES is online everywhere now! https://StevenWilson.lnk.to/12TIFSo

The ULTRA DELUXE MUSIC PRODUCT ON OBSOLETE MEDIA bespoke box includes the already announced deluxe box set of the album, and a plethora of additional exclusive music and artwork, hand-written lyrics, video props, and items of personal ephemera from Steven Wilson’s archive. A truly incredible and unique collector’s piece for one single collector!

Full contents are:

- A one sided 7 inch single containing the track THE TASTEMAKER, a song from the album sessions that will never be released anywhere else.  Only ONE copy of this single has been pressed!

- Unique designer laptop bag as used in EMINENT SLEAZE video

- THE FUTURE BITES album test pressing

- EMINENT SLEAZE’ 12 inch single test pressing (with b-sides EYEWITNESS / IN FLORAL GREEN)

- 12 THINGS I FORGOT 12 inch single  test pressing (with b-sides MOVE LIKE A FEVER / KING GHOST - TANGERINE DREAM REMIX)

- Hand-made CDR of a one-off 2016 soundcheck performance by the SW band of a cover version never otherwise performed live

- Steven's Grammy nomination certificate and medal from 2011 for Grace For Drowning, which was nominated for best surround sound mix

- Printed materials used in the EMINENT SLEAZE video

- 6 x laminated AAA passes for various tours between 2011-18

- Polaroids taken during THE FUTURE BITES cover shoot photo session

- An original drawing of Steven Wilson by German artist Hajo Mueller

- Original lyric sheets for various songs written between 1996-2020.  These are the actual sheets Steven used when recording the songs and they contain his corrections, notes and rejected lines. Included are COUNT OF UNEASE, FOLLOWER, EMINENT SLEAZE, Salvaging, Veneno Para Las Hadas, PERSONAL SHOPPER, The Raven that Refused to Sing, and Dark Matter.

All items are housed in their own bespoke folders and packaging, created especially for this single copy edition.

“The ultra edition of THE FUTURE BITES takes the whole notion of deluxe limited editions to its logical and extreme conclusion, by being just a premium priced single copy. This approach is more analogous with the world of art, where only one person can own the actual painting with the artist’s brush strokes on it. Many of the contents are things that in reality are impossible for me to put a price on.

With regard to the 2 exclusive audio items included, it’s entirely up to the purchaser as to whether they decide to share, or keep them to themselves. Do they want to exhibit ‘the painting’, or put it on ‘display’ for everyone else?” - SW

All proceeds from the sale of ULTRA DELUXE MUSIC PRODUCT ON OBSOLETE MEDIA will go directly to the Music Venue Trust to help save grassroots venues across the UK affected by COVID-19. Many of these are venues that Steven spent his formative years performing in.

“The first Porcupine Tree show was in a small club called The Nag’s Head in High Wycombe, in fact for the first ten years the band gigged solely in that subterranean world of clubs and pub venues. As someone who has never really been a part of the mainstream I can safely say I wouldn’t even be here without these venues and the people who run them. Live music is an inspiration and magical thing for so many people, so it’s essential we work now to save these places for future generations of both artists and fans.”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4022 on: November 24, 2020, 05:45:54 AM »
From Steven’s FB page:

THE FUTURE BITES. ULTRA DELUXE MUSIC PRODUCT ON OBSOLETE MEDIA. LIMITED EDITION OF ONE. £10,000. All proceeds to Music Venue Trust. https://store.thefuturebites.com

In addition, new single 12 THINGS I FORGOT from THE FUTURE BITES is online everywhere now! https://StevenWilson.lnk.to/12TIFSo

The ULTRA DELUXE MUSIC PRODUCT ON OBSOLETE MEDIA bespoke box includes the already announced deluxe box set of the album, and a plethora of additional exclusive music and artwork, hand-written lyrics, video props, and items of personal ephemera from Steven Wilson’s archive. A truly incredible and unique collector’s piece for one single collector!

Full contents are:

- A one sided 7 inch single containing the track THE TASTEMAKER, a song from the album sessions that will never be released anywhere else.  Only ONE copy of this single has been pressed!

- Unique designer laptop bag as used in EMINENT SLEAZE video

- THE FUTURE BITES album test pressing

- EMINENT SLEAZE’ 12 inch single test pressing (with b-sides EYEWITNESS / IN FLORAL GREEN)

- 12 THINGS I FORGOT 12 inch single  test pressing (with b-sides MOVE LIKE A FEVER / KING GHOST - TANGERINE DREAM REMIX)

- Hand-made CDR of a one-off 2016 soundcheck performance by the SW band of a cover version never otherwise performed live

- Steven's Grammy nomination certificate and medal from 2011 for Grace For Drowning, which was nominated for best surround sound mix

- Printed materials used in the EMINENT SLEAZE video

- 6 x laminated AAA passes for various tours between 2011-18

- Polaroids taken during THE FUTURE BITES cover shoot photo session

- An original drawing of Steven Wilson by German artist Hajo Mueller

- Original lyric sheets for various songs written between 1996-2020.  These are the actual sheets Steven used when recording the songs and they contain his corrections, notes and rejected lines. Included are COUNT OF UNEASE, FOLLOWER, EMINENT SLEAZE, Salvaging, Veneno Para Las Hadas, PERSONAL SHOPPER, The Raven that Refused to Sing, and Dark Matter.

All items are housed in their own bespoke folders and packaging, created especially for this single copy edition.

“The ultra edition of THE FUTURE BITES takes the whole notion of deluxe limited editions to its logical and extreme conclusion, by being just a premium priced single copy. This approach is more analogous with the world of art, where only one person can own the actual painting with the artist’s brush strokes on it. Many of the contents are things that in reality are impossible for me to put a price on.

With regard to the 2 exclusive audio items included, it’s entirely up to the purchaser as to whether they decide to share, or keep them to themselves. Do they want to exhibit ‘the painting’, or put it on ‘display’ for everyone else?” - SW

All proceeds from the sale of ULTRA DELUXE MUSIC PRODUCT ON OBSOLETE MEDIA will go directly to the Music Venue Trust to help save grassroots venues across the UK affected by COVID-19. Many of these are venues that Steven spent his formative years performing in.

“The first Porcupine Tree show was in a small club called The Nag’s Head in High Wycombe, in fact for the first ten years the band gigged solely in that subterranean world of clubs and pub venues. As someone who has never really been a part of the mainstream I can safely say I wouldn’t even be here without these venues and the people who run them. Live music is an inspiration and magical thing for so many people, so it’s essential we work now to save these places for future generations of both artists and fans.”

I think that's kinda hilarious  :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4023 on: November 24, 2020, 06:48:21 AM »
That's EXTREMELY cool.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4024 on: November 24, 2020, 08:38:02 AM »
Does he see the irony? *insert lyrics of Personal Shopper here*  ;)

But at least it's for a good cause.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D