Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369399 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3185 on: January 11, 2018, 06:19:19 AM »
I can't remember which one was mine, but Deadwing was the first PT album I ever bought, followed by Signify. Hearing Coma Divine for the first time cemented my love for the band. They became my most listened-to band during high school, even more so than Dream Theater, which I listened to almost exclusively in the second-to-last year. Coma Divine still is my favourite PT release and all-round favourite live album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3186 on: January 11, 2018, 12:21:11 PM »
Well, I'm taking the plunge. Only one way to find out how this will pan out. I hope we have some fun.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=51648.0

We begin on January 15th.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3187 on: January 13, 2018, 03:16:37 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/notes/steven-wilson/steven-wilsons-2018-new-year-update/1695867870433468/
Moving into 2018, the big event is touring most of the year with my band. As well as playing music from To the Bone, I’m going to be dedicating some of the repertoire to two albums that are soon to receive high-profile reissues, which are In Absentia and Deadwing (starting first with remastered vinyl editions in February/March). There is also going to be a lot of new visual elements to the show – myself, Lasse Hoile, Jess Cope and lighting designer Martin have all been working hard to try to take everything to the next level in terms of spectacle.
Let the setlist speculation begin, right? :P I'm expecting at least Blackest Eyes to make an appearance, given that it's one of the biggest PT songs, but SW hasn't played it with his solo band yet. Out of the more obscure tracks, maybe Mellotron Scratch and the live premiere of Collapse the Light into Earth?

PLEASE STEVEN PLAY GRAVITY EYELIDS AND MELLOTRON SCRATCH :heart

Oh yes! That would be amazing.

You're probably going to the Amsterdam show as well, right?

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3188 on: January 14, 2018, 09:49:32 AM »
Just a heads-up that The Wilson Cup will be kicking off tomorrow with the Qualifying section. This will involve the following songs:

PORT RUBICON, PUNCTURE WOUND, COLLECTING SPACE, INSURGENTES (MEXICO), THE 78, GRACE FOR DROWNING, RAIDER PRELUDE, BELLE DE JOUR, HOME IN NEGATIVE, FLUID TAP, THE MAP, RAIDER ACCELERATION, BLACK DOG THROWBACKS, CLOCK SONG, THE BIRTHDAY PARTY, FIRST REGRET, ASCENDANT HERE ON..., KEY OF SKELETON, LAST REGRET, MY BOOK OF REGRETS, YEAR OF THE PLAGUE, HAPPINESS III, SUNDAY RAIN SETS IN, VERMILLIONCORE, DON'T HATE ME (2016), MOMENT I LOST, PLEASE COME HOME, FOUR TREES DOWN, THE UNQUIET GRAVE, WELL YOU'RE WRONG, AN END TO END, ASK ME NICELY (INTRO), A DOOR MARKED SUMMER, ASK ME NICELY, NORTHERN CYCLONIC

These comprise bonus tracks from special editions of the five studio albums, interlude-type tracks from the albums, the entire 4½ EP, and the original songs from the Cover Version EPs. Five of these songs will join the 45 songs (every studio album track except the few listed here) in the main tournament. You'll be asked to pick the five songs you want to see in the main draw. Depending on how many participants we get, the songs with fewer votes (certainly those with 0 votes, and likely those with 1 vote) will be eliminated and we'll go again until we get down to five songs. More information is available in the Home thread (link in my signature below) and on the voting thread I'll start tomorrow.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3189 on: January 15, 2018, 01:22:03 AM »
The Wilson Cup is GO!

Head here for the Qualifying stage and vote however you choose. The poll is open for THREE days.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3190 on: January 15, 2018, 06:37:29 AM »
Sweet I'll be voting!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3191 on: January 15, 2018, 11:41:25 AM »
So, I missed the boat on seeing Steven this time in Boston :( The venue is too small for his popularity, and the tickets are sold out. Ticketmaster has resale tickets, but for $230, which is absurd. Maybe I'm lucky and I can snag a ticket the day of.
EDIT: Stubhub has some for $150, but even that is outrageous. $80 is my pain threshold.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3192 on: January 18, 2018, 01:24:49 AM »
Round 2 of Qualifying for the Wilson Cup is underway! Eight songs remain, of which five will go through to compete with the big boys in the main tournament! Go vote now!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3193 on: January 22, 2018, 04:44:47 AM »
The Group Stage of the Wilson Cup has begun! Groups A & B are here. There will be new polls starting each day, so make sure to go check Polls & Survivors regularly.

Voting in each poll lasts for 24 hours.

And this will be the last "plug" (from me anyway) in this thread, at least until the latter end of the group stage.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #3194 on: January 22, 2018, 07:31:11 AM »
So, I missed the boat on seeing Steven this time in Boston :( The venue is too small for his popularity, and the tickets are sold out. Ticketmaster has resale tickets, but for $230, which is absurd. Maybe I'm lucky and I can snag a ticket the day of.
EDIT: Stubhub has some for $150, but even that is outrageous. $80 is my pain threshold.

Same thing happened to me for the Montreal and Quebec city shows, they'Ve been sold out for months.  For a "prog" act in 2018 that's pretty impressive.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3195 on: January 23, 2018, 12:32:16 PM »

Same thing happened to me for the Montreal and Quebec city shows, they'Ve been sold out for months.  For a "prog" act in 2018 that's pretty impressive.

The show that I will go to in Stockholm on the 26th of February has been sold out for a while too... he is definitely popular

BTW; Don't forget to vote in group C of the Wilson tournament
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=51730.0

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3196 on: January 24, 2018, 04:44:27 AM »

The show that I will go to in Stockholm on the 26th of February has been sold out for a while too... he is definitely popular
The Helsinki show was sold out a couple of months ago as well, which is a first for SW. Luckily I managed to buy a ticket from a guy who was selling his. :angel:

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3197 on: January 24, 2018, 05:05:56 AM »
I guess he is getting more exposure with TTB than before bringing in new fans.... I am one.

Listened to some tracks before (Porcupine Tree) but they did not click with me.
When he came around for HCE I thought it strange that I was not going. Considered diving in...
When TTB was announced I started listening and newer songs clicked, then older.... now I love most of what I have heared.

Have all soloalbums and some other stuff and starting to dig into PT as well....

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3198 on: January 24, 2018, 06:47:46 AM »

Damn you!  I'm going again with the wife.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3199 on: January 30, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »
So... the TTB tour trailer is online and includes a clip of Arriving Somewhere :caffeine:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3200 on: January 30, 2018, 04:25:12 PM »
Awesome, always been a big favorite of mine and I haven't heard that since PT's last US show.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3201 on: January 30, 2018, 06:34:46 PM »
I still say that is one of the 3-4 best songs PT ever did, although it really is hard to narrow it down to just 3 or 4.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3202 on: January 31, 2018, 05:47:23 PM »
Assuming it is correct, the set list of the first show tonight in Portugal looks pretty great:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steven-wilson/2018/sala-tejo-altice-arena-lisbon-portugal-53ee9b71.html

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3203 on: January 31, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »
Thats an amazing set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3204 on: January 31, 2018, 07:16:12 PM »
Assuming it is correct, the set list of the first show tonight in Portugal looks pretty great:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steven-wilson/2018/sala-tejo-altice-arena-lisbon-portugal-53ee9b71.html

That encore looks amazing. Great choices all around.

I haven't paid much attention in the sphere of SW news, but has it been said if there will be a live album/video for this tour?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3205 on: January 31, 2018, 08:07:02 PM »
I don't think he ever announces that kind of stuff this far ahead of time.  I always assume he won't release one unless it's actually in my hands.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3206 on: January 31, 2018, 08:24:52 PM »
Except for song #17 for some reason being dragged out yet again, it's a great set.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3207 on: January 31, 2018, 10:25:03 PM »
As amazing as Sleep Together is live, I’m pretty sure it’s been on all three shows I’ve seen. I’d like to see a different track from DW/IA, although the other selections are great  :metal

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3208 on: January 31, 2018, 11:25:22 PM »
Sleep Together isn't on IA or Deadwing? Unless you're referring to another song in the set... which I'm not looking at because I want to be somewhat surprised. I am psyched about Arriving Somewhere, which I haven't seen since 2006!

Edit: Oh wait, do you mean an additional song off IA or Deadwing instead of ST? I'd be on board with that since I've seen it a bunch already. It's so good live though!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:09:06 AM by bout to crash »
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3209 on: February 01, 2018, 01:35:10 AM »

I don't see the need to keep songs #13 and #17 as staples (although they're great), and song #4 has never been a big favorite of mine, but the rest of the set looks pretty cool (#10 and #15 :hefdaddy). I assume there'll be some rotation, given that there'll be 3 shows at the Royal Albert Hall and SW talked about playing different songs at each of them - I could see at least the first spot of the encore where he's performing solo changing nightly.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3210 on: February 01, 2018, 01:43:46 AM »

Yes. Got my tickets about a year ago :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3211 on: February 01, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »
That's a really good set list.  :tup

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3212 on: February 01, 2018, 06:26:17 PM »
looks like Ninet Tayeb performed with the band this evening, but not yesterday. Anyone know what shows she'll be at? Fingers crossed for Amsterdam  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3213 on: February 01, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3214 on: February 01, 2018, 09:47:08 PM »
looks like Ninet Tayeb performed with the band this evening, but not yesterday. Anyone know what shows she'll be at? Fingers crossed for Amsterdam  :metal

Unfortunately if what I have heared is true, she will only perform in Spain and the UK.
I was really hoping she would perform in Stockholm...

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3215 on: February 01, 2018, 10:19:42 PM »
I could see at least the first spot of the encore where he's performing solo changing nightly.
Called it!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3216 on: February 02, 2018, 10:27:35 AM »

Yes. Got my tickets about a year ago :lol
Excellent, same here  :biggrin:

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3217 on: February 02, 2018, 10:47:21 AM »
should we have a forum meetup?

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3218 on: February 02, 2018, 12:11:42 PM »
I had tickets to the Amsterdam show, but a month ago it was announced that I have to make an educational trip to the UK. The song you are referring to is the last song I saw PT play during their last tour, and for sure one of my most dearly loved songs. It has been for years. I envy everyone who can go, and I'm especially glad for the new fans who discovered that song when PT already weren't around anymore.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3219 on: February 02, 2018, 12:56:33 PM »
Setlist looks ace.

Surprised to see several people going to Amsterdam here. I live in Amsterdam and love Steven Wilson, but will (unfortunately) sit this one out. Almost wrapped up my Master's degree (finally!), but I simply don't know where I will be in terms of financial state a couple of months from now, when all student benefits and the likes are gone. But in terms of awesome concerts, recent times have been really good, so I can't complain too much about missing something good.

Would be really cool if he manages to fill Afas live (god I hate that new name of the venue), because it holds 6000 people which would put him up there with many relatively known pop artists.