Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371736 times)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1820 on: July 08, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »
What SW/PT albums have liner notes? So far the only ones I've seen are Up the Downstair (CD/DVD version) and Stars Die.

If you mean commentary about the album and not just lyrics, it's just the remaster series.

Also note the first edition of Stars Die: The Delerium Years '91-'97 has significantly longer liner notes than the later editions, and also that the versions from 2005 onward use the remastered tracks, resulting in both discs being significantly louder. Gavin doesn't play drums on the extended "Synesthesia," though.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1821 on: July 11, 2015, 12:02:35 AM »
Any fans of Unreleased Electronic Music Vol. 1 here? I just realized "Observer Commercial 1998" is an enormous Massive Attack ripoff (of "Inertia Creeps")! I wonder if they specifically asked him to do that...

I have been digging that album a lot! Not familiar with the Massive Attack song but will have to look it up...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1822 on: July 14, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
What SW/PT albums have liner notes? So far the only ones I've seen are Up the Downstair (CD/DVD version) and Stars Die.

If you mean commentary about the album and not just lyrics, it's just the remaster series.

Also note the first edition of Stars Die: The Delerium Years '91-'97 has significantly longer liner notes than the later editions, and also that the versions from 2005 onward use the remastered tracks, resulting in both discs being significantly louder. Gavin doesn't play drums on the extended "Synesthesia," though.
I believe the remaster of On The Sunday Of Life has liner notes as well. On the topic of the original release of Stars Die: The Delerium Years, I own the original and those "longer liner notes" are actually a 40 page history of the band from 1986-1997ish which was compiled of interviews of the band circa Lightbulb Sun era.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1823 on: July 14, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »

I believe the remaster of On The Sunday Of Life has liner notes as well. On the topic of the original release of Stars Die: The Delerium Years, I own the original and those "longer liner notes" are actually a 40 page history of the band from 1986-1997ish which was compiled of interviews of the band circa Lightbulb Sun era.

O_O

Where on earth can I purchase this and why is it not in my hands right now

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: July 16, 2015, 12:18:52 PM »
New SW double vinyl compilation includes "Lazarus" re-recording and new version of "Transcience". Hell of a cash grab, imo.

It has extended notes for the individual songs, too, with the newer one mostly excising the band quotes.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1825 on: July 16, 2015, 01:11:17 PM »
I can't quite comprehend the stupidity of this release.

"I hate compilations, but I figured if I had a cool idea, like a collection of stuff specifically tailored for easy listening, for the masses to get into, then I'd do it. What's more, is I want this to be available on the most limited format available, and only for sale at 1 location, which rapes non-European costumers on shipping."

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1826 on: July 16, 2015, 01:17:31 PM »
 :rollin
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1827 on: July 16, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »
This feels like a "gotta pay the bills" release similar to when he dropped Catalogue / Preserve / Amass.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1828 on: July 16, 2015, 02:28:40 PM »
Or maybe he's just trolling us.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1829 on: July 16, 2015, 05:13:15 PM »
My friend said it best:

>Accessibility
>Vinyl only

pick one steven wilson
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1830 on: July 16, 2015, 07:47:55 PM »
I definitely have the funds available to get this Transcience vinyl but it's really a matter of me feeling like I should get it or not. It's be nice to expand my SW related vinyl collection but is it worth it for the new version of Lazarus alone? I'm sure most would say no but me personally IDK TBH.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1831 on: July 16, 2015, 08:09:30 PM »
Cover Version is an amazing album. I was skeptical about it going in because of the covers but the covers are done well and they're not just of popular songs that I'd heard to death. Moment I Lost, Please Come Home, Four Trees Down and Well You're Wong (all the originals, actually) are all amazing songs that could be on any SW album.

One thing that came from my listening to this album was my curiosity of the band Momus, anyone here listen to them?

Also, I swear to god the first 10 seconds of this song were borrowed for part of a new SW song (from HCE... Routine?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft1Nc5eP5vg

Anyone who can point out what I'm thinking of wins a million

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1832 on: July 16, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »
Also, I've heard about this famed "Unreleased Electronic Music" release, but for whatever reason it doesn't show up on progarchives.com, is this a worthwhile release? What's the story behind its release?

Any other hidden SW releases I might not be aware of (ie, that don't show up on progarchives.com (please say yes (please)))?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1833 on: July 16, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »
Also, I've heard about this famed "Unreleased Electronic Music" release, but for whatever reason it doesn't show up on progarchives.com, is this a worthwhile release? What's the story behind its release?

Any other hidden SW releases I might not be aware of (ie, that don't show up on progarchives.com (please say yes (please)))?

Err, UEM is on progarchives! It's in with all the singles.

I'm not sure why he didn't release it as a Bass Communion record, if that gives you any indication of what it's like.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1834 on: July 16, 2015, 10:40:55 PM »
Besides his well-known projects (Blackfield, No-Man, Bass Communion, IEM, and Storm Corrosion), there are some obscure PT releases. And a few EPs of him, like the Tape Experiments 85-86. Other side projects are Altamont, Pride of Passion, and Karma (some of his first bands) and Continuum (dark ambient/drone). Check his rateyourmusic, and you'll find them all  ;D

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1835 on: July 17, 2015, 12:15:51 AM »
I dearly love Steven and his work, but this feels so hipster just for the sake of it.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1836 on: July 17, 2015, 02:42:58 AM »
Aren't all hipster things just for the sake of it?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1837 on: July 17, 2015, 05:37:31 AM »
Meh, vinyl is too mainstream - he should release that compilation on cassette to be the ultimate hipster. :P

Also:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:51:36 AM by ? »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1838 on: July 17, 2015, 05:41:24 AM »
Here's a premise.  You don't have to buy it.  I'm not.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1839 on: July 17, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
Here's a premise.  You don't have to buy it.  I'm not.

That's a concept quite a few DT fans seem to be missing when DT brings out those "special releases".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: July 17, 2015, 05:39:38 PM »
Let bands release the world.  If I have no need for it, someone else might.  Such a hard concept.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1841 on: July 18, 2015, 01:07:08 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with some of the posts poking fun at SW for releasing this, some of the posts were actually quite amusing to read, yet someone always needs to swoop in and defend SW. There's definitely a fun contradiction in someone releasing an accessible album for newcomers to hear their music, and then only releasing it on vinyl. No matter what band/artist does it. :P

Even though I consider myself a collector, I'm not very tempted to pick this up. I fell for Catalogue/Preserve/Amass and got that vinyl for around 40 dollars, but that was before he released Get All You Deserve, so at least it was "fresh" in the sense that it was 4 live songs. This one however doesn't really have a draw for me at least. Definitely feels like one of those things he just puts out in order to finance the next album/tour, and there's nothing wrong with that. It will sell out anyways, though I think more likely that collectors will buy this, than newcomers.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1842 on: July 18, 2015, 01:37:46 AM »
Yeah, SW can release whatever he wants, but I just can't imagine a lot of people thinking "hey, I'll pick up this limited edition vinyl to get into Steven Wilson's music". :lol It would make a lot more sense to put together a CD/digital release for the newbies, because I imagine those who listen to music on vinyl generally have an attention span long enough to sit through the proggier songs.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:15:38 AM by ? »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1843 on: July 18, 2015, 01:45:26 AM »
Yeah, SW can release whatever he wants, but I just find can't imagine a lot of people thinking "hey, I'll pick up this limited edition vinyl to get into Steven Wilson's music". :lol It would make a lot more sense to put together a CD/digital release for the newbies, because I imagine those who listen to music on vinyl generally have an attention span long enough to sit through the proggier songs.

Definitely. Judging by the song selection, it feels like he wants to reach out to people who might be more song-people than album-people, so he has chosen songs that are more simple and straight forward, and you "get" the songs right away, instead of something like Raider II which might need 5-10 listens before you have taken in everything. So songs like Lazarus, Deform to Form a Star or Insurgentes are songs people can randomly hear on a streaming site or shuffle function and instantly go "I want to hear more of this". But like you say, people who buy vinyl generally aren't doing so to listen to it once or twice and just check something out. In my experience, vinyl listeners are really dedicated and if you buy a vinyl, you're planning on playing it a lot. So this release would definitely have made more sense as a CD or digital release, at least IMO.

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #1844 on: July 18, 2015, 03:38:26 AM »
Also, I swear to god the first 10 seconds of this song were borrowed for part of a new SW song (from HCE... Routine?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft1Nc5eP5vg

Anyone who can point out what I'm thinking of wins a million
I guess you're talking about the outro to Routine (from 7'25 onward). Both start with the same I-II7 in sixth position-VII harmonic sequence (Am-Bm7-GM7 in the Momus song and Em-F#m7-Dadd9 in Routine).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: July 18, 2015, 04:52:22 AM »
My feeling have nothing to do with SW, I say this about every band that people complain about. 

I've seen people complain about Rush releasing a live Blu Ray every tour. I tell them the same,  don't buy it then.  I had to uy shitty bootleg on VHS every tour.  Now I get 5.1 all the time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1846 on: July 18, 2015, 07:03:33 AM »
Plus, think about the bands who never or rarely give us live videos (Radiohead, I am looking at you).  It's a treat to get so many live releases from our favorites nowadays, and like you said, no one is forcing anyone to buy anything.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1847 on: July 21, 2015, 03:12:15 PM »
I was just listening to Routine and this never came to mind before, but does anyone know what the choir boy singer is singing at ~2:36? At least it SOUNDS like lyrics of some sort
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1848 on: July 22, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
Is there an easy to view website that comprehensively lists all SW projects and songs? It seems with every album there are countless b-sides, outtakes and unreleased songs that get released in various forms, and I like to track them down. I know there was that monstrous 500 page pdf document, that was a bit hard to use for me..

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: July 22, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »
Is there an easy to view website that comprehensively lists all SW projects and songs? It seems with every album there are countless b-sides, outtakes and unreleased songs that get released in various forms, and I like to track them down. I know there was that monstrous 500 page pdf document, that was a bit hard to use for me..
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/steven_wilson

From there you have a link to his other projects.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1850 on: July 22, 2015, 09:03:03 AM »
Someone reeeeeeeally needs to make an SW wiki. Like the one for Nine Inch Nails.

(I'd gladly contribute to the content, but I have no means to host a wiki, nor the ability to handle the technical side.)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1851 on: July 22, 2015, 09:27:40 AM »
Someone reeeeeeeally needs to make an SW wiki. Like the one for Nine Inch Nails.

(I'd gladly contribute to the content, but I have no means to host a wiki, nor the ability to handle the technical side.)

https://www.voyage-pt.de/swdisco.html

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many
« Reply #1852 on: July 22, 2015, 10:42:11 AM »

https://www.voyage-pt.de/swdisco.html

As mentioned in a post above mine, the discog PDF is unbearably difficult to use. Great if you have a catalog number to look up, but even Discogs has a better data display method for that. All its info needs to be distilled into a wiki so it's navigable – nobody wants to search a PDF for a song title and keep clicking through the results to get to the release they're looking for, at least not if a wiki is accessible instead. Not to mention it takes ages for updates with every new release, which would be easily addressed if it were editable like a wiki.

Basically, the PDF was awesome in 2002, but not so much now!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1853 on: July 23, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »
Aren't all hipster things just for the sake of it?

Touché, good man.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1854 on: July 24, 2015, 07:40:08 AM »
My feeling have nothing to do with SW, I say this about every band that people complain about. 

I've seen people complain about Rush releasing a live Blu Ray every tour. I tell them the same,  don't buy it then.  I had to uy shitty bootleg on VHS every tour.  Now I get 5.1 all the time.
People aren't complaining that it's "another SW release."

They are complaining that this release is allegedly more accessible music designed for new fans, but it is vinyl only and not easily available.  Which seemingly contradicts its stated purpose for existence.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.