Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 372109 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #980 on: March 05, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »
 :corn

Offline Rob801

« Reply #981 on: March 05, 2015, 10:01:48 PM »
Mine still hasn't arrived  :censored... If it doesn't come today I might not have it till Monday since we don't get packages on Saturdays  :censored :censored.

I did find out through BS's FAQ that it could take up to 7 working days, right after I sent them an inquiry of course. I got a fast response from a friendly person that reassured me that it should be here any time... Tracking numbers only come with insured packages btw (which I considered at the time because of it being a limited edition but I have NEVER had anything go missing in the mail in over 15+ years of net shopping).

If it doesn't come to day I may have to resort to ITunes since I really don't think I can wait any longer but at the same time I really want the whole experience  of opening the deluxe package and listening for the first time with it in my hands...

Edit: And yet another day with a no show.  Now I'm starting to really get a sinking feeling in my stomach that it is lost or stolen as uncommon/unlikely as that may be (although out where I live it would be such an unknown niche product that I have a hard time thinking it could disappear locally). The worst part is without insurance or tracking it doesn't look like I have any recourse if it is really gone :-(.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:39:25 AM by Rob801 »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #982 on: March 05, 2015, 10:39:07 PM »
I like to take my time when taking all of Steven in.

:eyebrows:

Yes, but how does he compare to Lonestar?

I CANNOT ANSWER THAT QUESTION
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #983 on: March 05, 2015, 11:23:41 PM »
Does anyone else absolutely love the "it's only the start, it's only the start" part of Transcience? I don't see much talk about that song but for a short interlude type song it is really, really good.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #984 on: March 06, 2015, 02:50:36 AM »
Does anyone else absolutely love the "it's only the start, it's only the start" part of Transcience? I don't see much talk about that song but for a short interlude type song it is really, really good.

I mentioned exactly that part a few pages back. It's a great song by itself and it bridges Regret no. 9 nicely to Ancestral.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #985 on: March 06, 2015, 06:01:29 AM »
Routine/Home Invasion/Regret #9 must be one of the best three-song runs on any SW album :hefdaddy
Oh yeah, I like how the "aaah" melody reminds me of Lips of Ashes and the song itself sounds like Storm Corrosion.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #986 on: March 06, 2015, 06:27:13 AM »
This album is just amazing. Wow.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #987 on: March 06, 2015, 07:33:30 AM »
Routine/Home Invasion/Regret #9 must be one of the best three-song runs on any SW album :hefdaddy
Oh yeah, I like how the "aaah" melody reminds me of Lips of Ashes and the song itself sounds like Storm Corrosion.

Indeed! I aldo get a Stupid Dream vibe from the harmonies in the "chorus"

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: March 06, 2015, 08:03:31 AM »
I just realized that the woman dies at the end of "Happy Returns."  Steven's final words on that song, and the entire album itself, are: "I'm feeling kinda drowsy now, so I'll finish this tomorrow..."  However, as we know from the real-life inspiration for the album, she never did wake up.  She died surrounded by Christmas gifts she was wrapping.  Steven really did a great job conveying that, I feel.

There's just so much to discover on this album musically, lyrically and artistically.  I see myself still listening to, and appreciating, this album decades from now.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #989 on: March 06, 2015, 08:46:45 AM »
There's just so much to discover on this album musically, lyrically and artistically.  I see myself still listening to, and appreciating, this album decades from now.

Everything about it just screams 'classic' to me.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #990 on: March 06, 2015, 08:52:10 AM »
I think Ancestral is going to turn out like Raider II did for me. A grower, that requires several listens to get it. It's starting to click now.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #991 on: March 06, 2015, 08:59:14 AM »
Yeah, Ancestral has become my favorite at this point  :heart

I just realized that the woman dies at the end of "Happy Returns."  Steven's final words on that song, and the entire album itself, are: "I'm feeling kinda drowsy now, so I'll finish this tomorrow..."  However, as we know from the real-life inspiration for the album, she never did wake up.  She died surrounded by Christmas gifts she was wrapping.  Steven really did a great job conveying that, I feel.

I think people are taking the Joyce Vincent thing a bit too seriously- it's not supposed to be exactly about that scenario, just inspired by it. Sure those are the last lyrics on the album, but if you read through the deluxe book and blog entries (though I realize not everybody has access to all of this) you will see there's no way she could die at that point, because she makes several entries after that. I suppose maybe the album and book are supposed to be considered two separate pieces of art with two different endings, but I dunno.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #992 on: March 06, 2015, 09:17:33 AM »
As Steven says in album documentary, "she disappears", he never states how or that she dies.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #993 on: March 06, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »
For me, and I don't have access to the booklet yet, just press tracks, the thing he really succeeds in conveying as the album progresses is how someone can disappear unnoticed from society, and that last line does a great job of representing her final step into isolation. Just brilliant.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #994 on: March 06, 2015, 01:31:30 PM »
Are. You. Fucking. Kidding. Me.

At this point I wish I could say fuck you to Burning Shed, refuse delivery, get my money back, and just go out to Best Buy. This is ridiculous.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #995 on: March 06, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »

At this point I wish I could say fuck you to Burning Shed, refuse delivery, get my money back, and just go out to Best Buy. This is ridiculous.
Hate the USPS, they're the real dicks behind this.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: March 06, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »

I think people are taking the Joyce Vincent thing a bit too seriously- it's not supposed to be exactly about that scenario, just inspired by it. Sure those are the last lyrics on the album, but if you read through the deluxe book and blog entries (though I realize not everybody has access to all of this) you will see there's no way she could die at that point, because she makes several entries after that. I suppose maybe the album and book are supposed to be considered two separate pieces of art with two different endings, but I dunno.

I'll definitely have to read through the blog this weekend.  Thanks for suggesting that.  I didn't get the book, unfortunately.  I love all these extra features that SW creates to enhance the experience.

Just knowing how Joyce ended up, I get chills every time I listen to "Happy Returns" where SW mentions the gifts -- and then more chills when I hear "Ascendant Here On."     
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #997 on: March 06, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
Great album. First two listens I liked it a lot but it didn't really standout.

Third listen and it really clicked!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #998 on: March 06, 2015, 03:09:41 PM »

I'll definitely have to read through the blog this weekend.  Thanks for suggesting that.  I didn't get the book, unfortunately.  I love all these extra features that SW creates to enhance the experience.

I know! The blog actually has lots of entries the book doesn't (and there is a lot of weird, unexplained shit going on) so let me know what you think when you go through it. It's not that long of a read.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #999 on: March 06, 2015, 03:49:45 PM »
Got this at Best Buy after searching other places.

It's a really fantastic album. I enjoy everything about it, the atmosphere, story, lyrics. It's finding beauty in the dark.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1000 on: March 06, 2015, 04:01:52 PM »
Three listens in, and I'm liking it a lot. Lots of atmosphere and emotion, and I like how modern it sounds compared to GFD and TRTRTS.

The only real complaints I have so far is that, like Zantera said, while the whole album is very consistent I can't really see any of the songs being my absolute favorites of SW's solo work. In addition, some of the songwriting in the longer songs feels a bit incohesive. 3 Years Older goes from soft to loud and back again a bit too much in my opinion, Routine has a couple weird transitions but otherwise it's fine, and as others have pointed out, Ancestral kinda feels like two different songs, which is a bit annoying because the first half is so damn good.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1001 on: March 06, 2015, 04:12:33 PM »
I love that the song go right into a different dynamics (Soft to loud).  How many bands do that.  There's purpose in his songwriting and SW is on top of that mountain.

I've cried for years now that dynamics have been lost in a large amount of music, specially in rock and metal.  No doubt Steven get this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1002 on: March 06, 2015, 04:41:47 PM »

Agreed.  To me, SW kind of leaves it open-ended where you can interpret it however you like.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1003 on: March 06, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
I love that the song go right into a different dynamics (Soft to loud).  How many bands do that.  There's purpose in his songwriting and SW is on top of that mountain.

I've cried for years now that dynamics have been lost in a large amount of music, specially in rock and metal.  No doubt Steven get this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that having dynamics and transitioning from soft to loud / vice versa is a bad thing, I love it. I'm just saying some songs do it better than others.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1004 on: March 06, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »

Agreed.  To me, SW kind of leaves it open-ended where you can interpret it however you like.

Yeah, and to me it's fucking aliens!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1005 on: March 06, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »
I like to think that she died.

Not suicide... just.... bam. Dead.

I don't think too much about the "visitors" or anything :lol

But that's just me and my sick mind.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1006 on: March 06, 2015, 09:49:27 PM »
Three listens in, and I'm liking it a lot. Lots of atmosphere and emotion, and I like how modern it sounds compared to GFD and TRTRTS.

The only real complaints I have so far is that, like Zantera said, while the whole album is very consistent I can't really see any of the songs being my absolute favorites of SW's solo work. In addition, some of the songwriting in the longer songs feels a bit incohesive. 3 Years Older goes from soft to loud and back again a bit too much in my opinion, Routine has a couple weird transitions but otherwise it's fine, and as others have pointed out, Ancestral kinda feels like two different songs, which is a bit annoying because the first half is so damn good.

Weird because I was actually thinking that this album features some of his best and most sensible songwriting compared to his other works, especially Routine. I had a problem with 3 years older's songwriting at first but it's starting to grow on me and really come together the more I listen.

Also, I really like the modern city vibe the album gives. SW is really good at creating atmospheres without changing his musical sound drastically (comparing GFD and The Raven to this album)
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1007 on: March 06, 2015, 11:06:38 PM »
My first listen through the album I was...underwhelmed. This is my first anticipated album of SW's career since I got into PT and his solo right before Raven was released. I was expecting the same melancholic feels that I love about his work, but it didn't happen. Now, a couple listens later and I think it is a brilliant album. The way SW can write whatever the hell he wants and do it PERFECTLY amazes me to know end. It's defiitely a grower album for me, so I can't say it's the best ever, but it has impressed me a lot.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #1008 on: March 07, 2015, 01:36:33 AM »

Hate the USPS, they're the real dicks behind this.
It could be something that happened with the Royal Mail in the UK... I'm in Denmark and mine hasn't arrived yet either and our postal service is generally pretty damn reliable (like I said earlier I have never had anything go missing ever through mail order).

I'm not sure which version Nick ordered but if mine doesn't show up I'm just fucked since the Deluxe Box is sold out. Another thing is after reading Burning Sheds FAQ they seem to put all the responsibility on the buyer and the postal service in the country of destination but that seemed off to me so with a quick google search I found this (pertaining to EU residents at least, but can't imagine it's any different if you live in the US):

"I ordered a CD that I never received. I contacted the seller, who says it is the postal service that is responsible, not him. Is he right? 

NO - The seller is responsible for the delivery of your purchase. It is the seller who must contact the delivery service and prove that the product was delivered. If the seller cannot prove this, they must send you the product again or give you a refund."

So optional insurance or not (never had to ensure or have ever been asked to ensure at my expense, anything I bought from Amazon or anywhere else for that matter) it looks like Burning Shed is responsible for safe delivery of my product (I stopped in the local shop where parcels are to be picked up if undeliverable yesterday anyway just to be sure that a delivery notice didn't get lost and they didn't have it).

All that being said, I'm not going to judge them before I see how they handle it if I doesn't show up today or Monday (then we'll be past the 7 working days they say to give it)... in the one mail correspondence I had with them so far they were fast and courteous  with their response.

Unfortunately no matter what the reason is, this has kind of put a damper on the whole experience for me... not that I'll like the album any less because of it (of course) but being let down day after day when it hasn't shown up has been frustrating to say the least.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:02:00 AM by Rob801 »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1009 on: March 07, 2015, 07:42:21 AM »
I ordered the Blu-Ray. Friday was the 7th business day for me, 8th working day (as USPS delivers Saturday), and so I'm past the point of understanding. Be it Burning Shed, Royal Mail, or USPS I just want blood from someone. :lol
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1010 on: March 07, 2015, 07:46:27 AM »
I'm cleaning the house so I guess I'll put in my Blu Ray 5.1 in honor of you not driving to a store Nick. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1011 on: March 07, 2015, 07:56:25 AM »
I would have driven to a store on Tuesday if it didn't mean having two copies of the same damned thing.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1012 on: March 07, 2015, 08:08:23 AM »
So this is all to say that Nick does not have The Perfect Life?

:millahhhh
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1013 on: March 07, 2015, 08:16:49 AM »
:lolpalm:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1014 on: March 07, 2015, 08:21:42 AM »
So this is all to say that Nick does not have The Perfect Life?

:millahhhh

Maybe I'll pass the time by listening to some Fates Warning, and hoping once the postman comes, this will be another perfect day.

But likely I'll end up huddled in the corner, full fetal.