Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 372065 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #805 on: February 27, 2015, 06:40:55 AM »
I'm curious what some of the prog fans will think of the album, because it isn't very progressive compared to his last few albums.
I'm wondering the same, actually. I think it may not be as warmly received as The Raven, but the fact that it's a concept album is probably exciting for a lot of people. But who knows? :dunno:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:55:19 AM by ? »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #806 on: February 27, 2015, 07:10:29 AM »
I  don't think anyone following Steven at this point could care one way or another how "prog" something is.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #807 on: February 27, 2015, 07:36:39 AM »
Just picked up the special 'book' edition at the local record store. They were playing the album pretty loud in the store (usually they settle for some easy going country music), and there were more people getting the album. Also, some folks around me were asking whose music they were listening to. Quite a buzz indeed.

The book edition is beautiful by the way! SW taking packaging to the next level, again.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:55:05 AM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #808 on: February 27, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »
Reading the lyrics... I love Steven's lyrics.

Home Invasion :heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #809 on: February 27, 2015, 10:03:31 AM »
Brilliant album. I like the fact that some of the songs could have easily been on a prior PT album. Happy Returns especially has a Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun feel about it.

Ancestral is the albums tour de force IMO, although it does feel like 2 separate songs. I don't like the last 15 seconds either, think it should have ended on a high.

Enjoying it more and more each listen.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #810 on: February 27, 2015, 10:10:57 AM »
Mine shipped two days ago. And I happened to be off today, so I'm anxiously awaiting the postman's regular visit.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #811 on: February 27, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »
This is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #812 on: February 27, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »
The book edition is beautiful by the way! SW taking packaging to the next level, again.

A big YES to that! Now I know why that edition is so expensive. Worth every cent.  :hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: February 27, 2015, 11:25:02 AM »
Well, after a few spins, I certainly love it more than Insurgentes and Grace, but Raven is still better in my book. Ancestral is my favourite song, but it indeed feels like two songs merged together. I wish the song went in somewhat different direction after the guitar solo and the second "Icicles" section. Still amazing though.

And Happy Returns indeed has both trains and la-la-la-na-na sections with a distinctive atmosphere, haha.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #814 on: February 27, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
Perfect Life is probably my favorite track.
It makes me feel like I'm in a sun bathed room just soaking warmth in. It really lifts my spirits

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #815 on: February 27, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »
Dammit. No Wilson today. Got the new Kaipa in as a nice consolation prize. Hopefully tomorrow.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #816 on: February 27, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »
I'm not a HUGE fan of SW, but this a really good album. I'm having some trouble remembering the tracks right now, since I've listened to it once, but Happy Returns is probably my favorite. Very emotional song.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #817 on: February 27, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »
I'll just say that this album has, at least for me, survived the hype and met my expectations.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: February 27, 2015, 01:50:18 PM »
Listening to it right now and I like it more than Grace and Raven. Those solos in Regret #9 are awesome, disappointed I won't see Guthrie with SW.

I will say this, I don't like Perfect Life. I'm not a big fan of the spoken word lyrics.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #819 on: February 27, 2015, 02:33:12 PM »
I will say this, I don't like Perfect Life. I'm not a big fan of the spoken word lyrics.

That's less than half of the song though?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #820 on: February 27, 2015, 03:17:48 PM »
Right now my favorite tracks are Happy Returns, Home Invasion, Routine, Perfect Life and the title track. The two longest songs (and particularly Ancestral) are going to take a bit longer for me to digest.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #821 on: February 27, 2015, 07:36:02 PM »
Every time Wilson releases a new solo album, I say "wow, I definitely think this is my favorite of all his solo work, it definitely tops his last one!" and here I am again, thinking the same thing. It's an amazing album. Probably the first SW solo album where all of the songs are home runs for me.

Offline adace

« Reply #822 on: February 27, 2015, 08:02:15 PM »
Regret #9 is so cool. It's like something out of an 80's sci-fi film but it doesn't feel cheesy at all. I'm glad the keyboardist got the chance to really show off his stuff on this album.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #823 on: February 28, 2015, 12:49:03 AM »
I didn't like Perfect Life that much when it was released, but it works a lot better in the context of the album. And yes, Regret #9 is really cool!

Offline Rob801

« Reply #824 on: February 28, 2015, 12:55:00 AM »
My delux edition shipped Thursday from the UK so if I'm really lucky I'll have it today... But probably not :-(... Been trying to keep from looking at the sneak peek as I want to be surprised.

As a side note I'm not sure why I thought Lasse Hoile was from Holland but I just read that he is a Dane and from Århus and where I'm going to see SW next month (and luckily only a half hour from where I live)... I had an idea that the reason SW started doing shows there might just be because we have a good venue with realy good sound called "Train"... I guess it could be both :-).

Nice to read all the positive comments in here (not that I'm surprised). Can't wait to hear the whole album start to finish!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:45:42 AM by Rob801 »

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #825 on: February 28, 2015, 07:26:30 AM »
I bought it yesterday, but only got around to listening today. My first impression was that something about the feeling really reminded me of Porcupine Tree, more so than every other SW solo record. If I had to put my finger on it I would probably say it has a bit of a Lightbulb Sun/In Absentia feel to it, but with songwriting more like in FOABP. It starts of surprisingly happy for a SW record, but gets melancholic quite fast. I haven't quite gotten the gist of the story so far, but I quite like the lyrics, even without the context.
As far as the music goes, I still have to digest it a bit. First impression is definetely overall very positive, with a few songs I didn't warm up to yet. I already heard Ancestral live when I saw him live last time, and I really hope he plays it again, cause that song absolutely slayed live even without knowing it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #826 on: February 28, 2015, 10:13:02 AM »
Damn, I'm stepping on a plane tomorrow, and the album would be the perfect thing to listen to during the flight.  >:(
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #827 on: February 28, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »
I've listened through front to back maybe 5 or 6 times now.

And I can say...

I FUCKING LOVE THIS ALBUM.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #828 on: February 28, 2015, 02:41:52 PM »
Wilson's first two albums were so hit or miss for me.  Raven was phenomenal, and so is this.  I prefer Raven slightly, because I think the title track is one of the best songs he's ever written, and I like the self-contained nature of the other tracks . . . but man, HCE is really something.  While I'd give anything to have him work with Porcupine Tree again, albums like Raven and Erase are great "substitutes".

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: February 28, 2015, 11:34:52 PM »
what's with the track splitting? seems like the actual CD has split tracking for "3 Years Older," "Regret #9," and "Ascendant Here On..." but the web release combined them with the song before?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #830 on: March 01, 2015, 12:08:04 AM »
what's with the track splitting? seems like the actual CD has split tracking for "3 Years Older," "Regret #9," and "Ascendant Here On..." but the web release combined them with the song before?

One version also crossfades "Regret #9" into the opening of "Transience", while the other (with the combined tracks) has "Transience" apart from "Regret #9". Anyone know why there's such a difference? Did the web release get a different over-all mix?

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:24:26 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: March 01, 2015, 01:33:27 AM »
Happy Returns - I thought at first I was listening to ANTR. Had to check out twice. :lol

This album is really, really awesome. I really like the athmosphere, positive and touching vibes and progressive elements, but with more modern style. Needs still more listens but I could say this is SW's best solo work easily.

2 AWESOME albums in 2 months, Periphery's Alpha and now this. What an awesome year of music will this be!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #832 on: March 01, 2015, 03:22:03 AM »
Wow. I'm speechless. Have been engulfed in the album in my first listen. Deluxe version on my lap, reading everything, following the story, listening to the blu ray stereo mix on high end headphones, this is an awesome album.
I've never been this impressed by any first listen of Steven's work before. I love the story, and most of all that has to do with the packaging, I really felt like I knew the girl in the pictures.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #833 on: March 01, 2015, 03:32:20 AM »
Can't wait to listen to the album, I'll have it on Tuesday! :D

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #834 on: March 01, 2015, 06:28:50 AM »
Currently enjoying the demo disc. It's interesting. Whereas the demos for The Raven were real close to their final versions, some songs on here are a far cry from how they ended up eventually.

Also, the drums on 'Happy Returns' are done by Chad Wackerman. I was wondering why the snare on that track sounded a lot different coming from the previous tracks, but there you have it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:37:14 AM by PixelDream »

Offline hauswife

« Reply #835 on: March 01, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
i really like the track "3 years older" with its rush vibe. so many nice melodies by steven in this track. but the best part for me is the transition to the organ solo and the solo itself.

in my opinion the highlight of the album is guthries emotional solo in "regret #9"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #836 on: March 01, 2015, 11:03:48 AM »
Shocked by how good it is, especially considering how different a vibe it is from Raven. Still totally absorbing the thematic aspects, but he does an excellent job of catching the mood, especially in Happy Returns, what a brutal song that is.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #837 on: March 01, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »
Shocked by how good it is, especially considering how different a vibe it is from Raven. Still totally absorbing the thematic aspects, but he does an excellent job of catching the mood, especially in Happy Returns, what a brutal song that is.

Indeed. Happy Returns is definitely my favorite track on the album, so far. With the potential to be one of my favorite SW solo songs as well.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #838 on: March 01, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
Regret #9 is definitely my least favourite and Ancestral is definitely my favourite. Overall the album is amazing though.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #839 on: March 01, 2015, 12:36:37 PM »
Happy Returns was a real grower for me. Ancestral was my favorite at first listen, and it still is. Truly epic track.