Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 375624 times)

Offline countoftuscany42

Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #525 on: January 15, 2015, 09:11:53 AM »
i really wish this was made clear before the tickets went on sale, as Marco and Guthrie were half the reason I was excited for this show.  Ive never seen SW so obviously I'm excited to see hm and hear his music, but $70 is a lot for a ticket where half the band I want to see isn't actually participating in the tour.  this whole tour announcement has been kind of a clusterfuck, hopefully the album and show makes up for the lack of info and clarification

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #526 on: January 15, 2015, 01:13:19 PM »
Most of the promotion for the whole album so far has been off-par. Releasing a song onto iTunes only and not announcing it anywhere. Shows going on sale without any announcements.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #527 on: January 15, 2015, 01:34:45 PM »
Considering his band is technically a bunch of musicians for hire, I don't really care too much about what band he takes with him on tour, even if it seems he will bring the studio band for the EU part. And I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, these are all great musicians, but this is SW's show and as far as I'm concerned, anyone who isn't SW is replaceable in this band. I saw him once with Guthrie on guitars and I saw him once with Niko, and it made no difference at all IMO.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #528 on: January 15, 2015, 02:01:02 PM »
fair enough, but i love both guthrie and marco, and have never seen guthrie live before so I'm disappointed i won't be able to see them at this show

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #529 on: January 15, 2015, 02:32:05 PM »
Yeah, I definitely don't subscribe to the "whatever, it's still SW" camp. Marco and Guthrie add a LOT to the show.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #530 on: January 15, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
Yeah, I definitely don't subscribe to the "whatever, it's still SW" camp. Marco and Guthrie add a LOT to the show.

I'll second this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline snowdog

« Reply #531 on: January 15, 2015, 02:54:38 PM »
I'll miss Marco but I'm excited to see who else Wilson is able to get to fill his place.  I'd love to see Chad Wackerman fill in for Marco like he did a few times last tour.  I'm a big fan of Wackerman's work while he played for Zappa so I'd love to see him doing this material.  But I'm sure he'll find an awesome replacement regardless.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #532 on: January 15, 2015, 04:43:49 PM »
Wackerman was alright when I saw him with SW in LA... but  Guthrie... geeze... Those are some big shoes to fill.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: January 16, 2015, 07:30:19 AM »
Wackerman was alright when I saw him with SW in LA... but  Guthrie... geeze... Those are some big shoes to fill.

Yea Guthrie is no joke.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #534 on: January 18, 2015, 09:29:42 AM »
Marco's a lot of fun to watch, but when Wilson played in Tampa last time (and Marco couldn't make it), I didn't really miss him.  Guthrie is a different story altogether, though.  In the end it's Steven's show so I'm sure he'll find someone good.

Also, I know I'm in the great minority when I say this but to voice the unpopular opinion, I absolutely loathe Raider II.  For me, it's easy one of his worst songs he's ever written and I find it a bloated, dull mess.  I'm not ashamed to say that both times I saw him tour and he inevitably played it, I found it a good time to hit the bathroom and check my messages.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: January 18, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
Marco's a lot of fun to watch, but when Wilson played in Tampa last time (and Marco couldn't make it), I didn't really miss him.  Guthrie is a different story altogether, though.  In the end it's Steven's show so I'm sure he'll find someone good.

Also, I know I'm in the great minority when I say this but to voice the unpopular opinion, I absolutely loathe Raider II.  For me, it's easy one of his worst songs he's ever written and I find it a bloated, dull mess.  I'm not ashamed to say that both times I saw him tour and he inevitably played it, I found it a good time to hit the bathroom and check my messages.

-gasp-
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #536 on: January 18, 2015, 10:03:21 AM »
What do you mean by bloated?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #537 on: January 19, 2015, 02:03:51 AM »
We can only dream about him playing that entire track on this tour as well.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #538 on: January 19, 2015, 04:28:52 AM »
I probably need to give it more listens, but I don't like Raider that much either.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #539 on: January 19, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »
Just popping in to drop the comment that IMHO, The Raven is the best album of the last 5 years.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #540 on: January 19, 2015, 10:43:25 AM »
I would counter that by saying that Raven is my least favorite SW solo album and probably not even in my top100 for the last 5 years.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: January 19, 2015, 01:27:06 PM »
Just popping in to drop the comment that IMHO, The Raven is the best album of the last 5 years.

Sorry Jimmy but I agree with Rumbo.  I base that on what albums I tend to play more than others.  I still love his other albums.  To me, Raven is that amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #542 on: January 19, 2015, 02:02:54 PM »
I do like Raven, quite a bit actually. But I just don't rank it THAT high. I'll gladly give it some appreciation since it's pretty good. I believe it was somewhere around the nr.30 spot in my top100 albums for 2013. And that sounds low, but it was a pretty good year. So my comment on it not making top100 for the last 5 years is probably accurate. There has been loads of great albums recently.

Grace For Drowning would probably be in my top10, maybe even top5 for the last 5 years though. That album is pretty much perfect, something I think few SW/PT album comes up to. Most of them are great, but most of them also have a few duds. GfD, FOABP and maybe Stupid Dream are some exceptions for me. Those are just flawless.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #543 on: January 19, 2015, 02:10:52 PM »
I think The Raven is probably my favorite solo album from Wilson

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: January 19, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »
From SW's FB:

I’m very happy to announce that I will be starting the Americas leg of the Hand. Cannot. Erase. tour with a show in Chile at the Teatro Cariola in Santiago on 8th May.
This will also be the first show with a changed band line up, as Guthrie Govan (Official) and Marco Minnemann will be departing at the end of the European tour to fulfill touring commitments with their own band The Aristocrats. These 2 guys were always going to be a very hard act to follow, but I’m very pleased to introduce two world class British musicians in the shape of Dave Kilminster on guitar, and Craig Blundell on drums.
Many of you will know that for the last 8 years Dave has been the principal guitar player in the Roger Waters band (if you saw The Wall show you will have seen him on top of the Wall playing the solo at the end of Comfortably Numb!), while Craig has primarily concentrated on being an international clinician for Premier Drum Co, Roland U.S. and and Paiste. Both are extraordinarily gifted musicians and I’m honoured to welcome them to the SW band.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: January 19, 2015, 02:16:19 PM »
I am okay with this

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #546 on: January 19, 2015, 02:22:07 PM »
He'll start first with South America instead of the North? Is it Christmas already?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #547 on: January 19, 2015, 03:26:22 PM »

Sorry Jimmy but I agree with Rumbo.  I base that on what albums I tend to play more than others.  I still love his other albums.  To me, Raven is that amazing.

Yeah, the replay value of the album is particularly amazing.

Regarding the "in the top 30 of 2013", Zantera, err, how much music do you listen to on a given day?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #548 on: January 19, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »

Regarding the "in the top 30 of 2013", Zantera, err, how much music do you listen to on a given day?

Probably 8-10 hours on average. Usually more. I usually squeeze in 4-5 new albums in a week, and I'm able to listen to all of them at least 5-6 times, plus I don't repeat listen as much as a lot of other people do, so I'm constantly searching for new things rather than listening to the same old. (But I still re-listen to the good stuff as well ofc)

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #549 on: January 19, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »

The Raven is one of my favorite albums of all time. Top 20 for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #550 on: January 19, 2015, 05:32:20 PM »

I probably agree with this.  I can't think of any album since the start of 2010 that I love more.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #551 on: January 19, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »

Probably 8-10 hours on average. Usually more. I usually squeeze in 4-5 new albums in a week, and I'm able to listen to all of them at least 5-6 times, plus I don't repeat listen as much as a lot of other people do, so I'm constantly searching for new things rather than listening to the same old. (But I still re-listen to the good stuff as well ofc)

Do you... have a job?  :lol

Anyway, as much as I love Guthrie and Marco they are still ultimately replaceable in SW's band and I'm excited to see what these other guys bring to the table. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: January 20, 2015, 06:38:07 AM »
Jackie, sounding more and more like an old fart!  welcome to the club! :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #553 on: January 20, 2015, 07:03:46 AM »

Do you... have a job?  :lol

I don't, so I guess that helps. :P Also I think my approach to music just makes it a different situation for me. I listen to so much music, and after I broadened my horizons and went outside of Prog, I've gotten a very different perspective on things, and even bands like PT who I used to hold in such high regards are not as special anymore, and have lost some charm. Some people either have limited time or they just prefer staying within their wheelhouse of music, and I don't look down at those people in any way. It's a matter of what you prefer, and in the same way that I myself prefer to explore and always hear new things, there are people who just stick to what they know and love, and I don't think any of it is right or wrong, it's an individual thing.

I think if I had been the same person I was 6-7 years ago when I really lived & breathed almost 100% progressive rock, I would have hailed Raven as one of the masterpieces of the last few years. But having changed and having a wider range of music to choose from now, my perspective is just different. And this is just my own perspective I'm referring to. I hope it doesn't come off as disrespectful to the people here who do love the album more than me. You all have your reasons for loving it so much, so my example was just for me personally.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #554 on: January 20, 2015, 07:20:03 AM »
Just speaking for me personally: I too went through a stage where I was listening to 50 albums a year but after a while I stopped enjoying it. It's sort of like that saying "If you have two quarterbacks you really have none". To me there's a point where you're taking in too much.

That's just my experience with it though. I know some people who need new stuff constantly.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #555 on: January 20, 2015, 07:27:38 AM »
That's how it is for me, yeah. I will listen to just about anything if it's well done (and that's why my usual playlists go from prog to Pomplamoose to German rap to Ben Folds), but I also can tell pretty quickly when I won't like something. If I listened to 4-5 new albums a week, I would subject myself to a lot of crappy music.
It would also become one big blur for me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #556 on: January 20, 2015, 08:11:41 AM »
Just speaking for me personally: I too went through a stage where I was listening to 50 albums a year but after a while I stopped enjoying it. It's sort of like that saying "If you have two quarterbacks you really have none". To me there's a point where you're taking in too much.

That's just my experience with it though. I know some people who need new stuff constantly.
I'm somewhere in between, but probably closer to Jimmy. I definitely get "new music fatigue", but I also like to explore an absolute ton of new music as well. If I like a band or artist at all, chances are I'll check out their new material. And I like a lot of different styles of music, so there is a lot of new music for me to check out.

I think where I differ from Jimmy though is that I don't feel like this has particularly diluted my interest in styles or bands that I loved before. Maybe a little bit, but I don't feel that I've moved away at all from the metal and prog rock that I used to mostly listen to 5-10 years ago, more that I've added to it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #557 on: January 20, 2015, 08:18:50 AM »
I wouldn't listen to that much new music a year even if I had the opportunity.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #558 on: January 20, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »
Agreed, hef. It's too much.

Jackie, sounding more and more like an old fart!  welcome to the club! :lol

:lol, thanks bruh. I really am one of you at heart.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #559 on: January 20, 2015, 09:25:19 AM »

I probably agree with this.  I can't think of any album since the start of 2010 that I love more.

I probably got a pack of about six albums at the top. Raven is surely in that club.