Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 372000 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #455 on: January 07, 2015, 11:37:13 AM »
I haven't heard this song yet, so I can't comment specifically, but I have never understood the concept of not caring about lyrics at all.  I just can't fathom it.

I just don't listen for it, I guess.  I'm not listening to music to get a story like I'm reading a book.  I pay more attention to what is happening musically with the instruments, dynamics, rhythms, tempo, transitions between different sections, etc.  I basically want my face to be rocked and could care less what the vocalist is singing about.

I've noticed that I listen to a lot of instrumental music like jazz and classical, and some of my favorite metal/pop/prog/whatever songs of all time are instrumentals or longer songs with extended instrumental passages.  It's kind of funny to say that considering I am an amateur vocalist (although I have been paid for a few gigs over the years).

About the only music where I do pay attention to the lyrics are religious songs where the lyrics can have a deeper connection for me on a spiritual level (Neal Morse's One, or thousands upon thousands praise & worship songs for example).

This probably explains why I don't care at all for emotionally driven, singer-songwritery, ballady type stuff.  Probably also explains why I don't care for songs like Vacant and Disappear.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #456 on: January 07, 2015, 11:56:51 AM »
I definitely care more about the music a lot more than the lyrics, but they definitely can have some impact on the song for me. That said, it's usually only a major impact if they're either really good or really bad.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #457 on: January 07, 2015, 12:00:18 PM »
I just know, as I lyricist myself, that I'd be pretty bummed out if people in the future wouldn't even listen to the lyrics. Not saying you have to, I'm not trying to force anyone here, it's just how I'd feel since there is a lot of time going into the writing of lyrics as well as the music. Especially on a concept album.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #458 on: January 07, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
 :D :D :D, he's coming to Boulder!! The rest is up: https://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/tour-dates/
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #459 on: January 07, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
:D :D :D, he's coming to Boulder!! The rest is up: https://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/tour-dates/
I maaaaaaaaaaaaaaay be able to go to the Boulder show! :D Would frickin love to see him again, dude was out of this world.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #460 on: January 07, 2015, 02:39:51 PM »
Wait whaaat? Will you be in CO?!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #461 on: January 07, 2015, 02:43:33 PM »
Wait whaaat? Will you be in CO?!
Moving to Fort Collins in May :)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #462 on: January 07, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
No way!! We need to party! That is a discussion to be had outside of this thread, but you must come to the Boulder show!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #463 on: January 07, 2015, 04:32:18 PM »
OMG

OMG

OMG

OMG

OMG

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #464 on: January 07, 2015, 04:32:33 PM »
King. Bought. Tickets.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #465 on: January 07, 2015, 04:36:49 PM »
I hope it doesn't like sell out completely. With my situation right now... I won't know if I can go until much much closer to the date.
:emo:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline snowdog

« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2015, 09:37:05 PM »
I'll definitely be going to that show.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #467 on: January 07, 2015, 09:59:38 PM »
King. Bought. Tickets.

Sounds like a meet up!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: January 08, 2015, 04:24:43 AM »
King. Bought. Tickets.

Sounds like a meet up!

You know it!  Got the wife and the brother going!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #469 on: January 08, 2015, 08:20:40 AM »

We should organize a little meetup, especially if Dylan will be there too! Any other Coloradans in da house? I'm obsessively checking the site to see if they're on sale yet.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »
Not sure why I even bothered checking.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »

I wasn't really expecting anything south of DC anyways, but it's still disappointing to see
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2015, 11:43:11 AM »
I will for sure be at the SF show. Gonna be a bit till I get tickets, but not too worried. He wasn't able to sell out the Fillmore, and the Warfield seats about 200 more at least.

Bosk, meet up?   :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »

I wasn't really expecting anything south of DC anyways, but it's still disappointing to see

That's a bummer. But, if DT can't even make the South work, somebody like SW clearly wouldn't.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2015, 05:22:11 PM »
That's right.

I saw him in DC last time and it was worth it. And I'll propably do it again, if the timing works out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #475 on: January 09, 2015, 07:14:30 AM »

That's a bummer. But, if DT can't even make the South work, somebody like SW clearly wouldn't.
I could easily see him playing Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham, or even Asheville (PT has played there before, I think - or it could have been SW solo).  But whatever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #476 on: January 09, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »

I could easily see him playing Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham, or even Asheville (PT has played there before, I think - or it could have been SW solo).  But whatever.

Well Piss!  I was hoping for Atlanta.  The wife really wanted to make the trip with me to go to Ikea!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #477 on: January 09, 2015, 12:23:03 PM »

We should organize a little meetup, especially if Dylan will be there too! Any other Coloradans in da house? I'm obsessively checking the site to see if they're on sale yet.
Sounds fine with me.  I did just order a ticket for the Center Balcony section.  I was almost in the very last balcony row last show and the view was fine but I'm looking forward to be up a little bit more.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #478 on: January 09, 2015, 01:20:21 PM »

It's weird how certain artists seem to make a consistent bend around certain areas. Neal Morse seems to have an aversion for the Northeast, no matter what project he is in. He will make it up to CT, and then either turn around or move on to Canada.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2015, 03:50:22 PM »
That's been a bug up my ass with Neal as well.  I think the early 2000's with Transatlantic at The Middle East was the last time he was in the Boston area.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: And who can blame them?
« Reply #480 on: January 09, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »
You guys should try living in Alabama. Literally nobody comes here.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: January 09, 2015, 04:00:44 PM »
Unless they want moonshine......

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #482 on: January 09, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »
That's been a bug up my ass with Neal as well.  I think the early 2000's with Transatlantic at The Middle East was the last time he was in the Boston area.

You know, I have wondered whether our heathen reputation has something to do with it.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #483 on: January 09, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »
That's right.

I saw him in DC last time and it was worth it. And I'll propably do it again, if the timing works out.

Let me know if you'd be interested in doing a road trip.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: January 09, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »

You know, I have wondered whether our heathen reputation has something to do with it.

Then shame on him since Jesus went to the secular even if his inspired one person. He should be spreading the good word to us non believers.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #485 on: January 09, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »

Sounds fine with me.  I did just order a ticket for the Center Balcony section.  I was almost in the very last balcony row last show and the view was fine but I'm looking forward to be up a little bit more.

Cool. We sat in the front of the balcony last time, which was great, but I decided to change it up and buy a seat up front this time so I can grab at his crot...I mean, have a different view.

I may also go to Madison to see him, just for shits and giggles, and to see my friend in Milwaukee.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #486 on: January 10, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »
That's right.

Let me know if you'd be interested in doing a road trip.

Oh yeah, definitely interested. I'm going to have to fiddle around with some scheduling things though and given that it's a Tuesday night, my chances aren't great

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #487 on: January 10, 2015, 09:00:44 AM »
Ooh Milwaukee or Chicago.

Choices, choices, choices.. Probably will end up being Chicago since commuting up to Milwaukee after work will be a bit of a bitch.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: January 10, 2015, 09:27:23 AM »
So, I'm thinking about going to Helsinki concert but I'm not really familiar with SW live performance. Do you recommend to go to watch him? I liked Raven and the new song but the older Wilson's solo material have just been meh. Is it worth it?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #489 on: January 10, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
back-2-back nights in Chicago, and no show in Minneapolis. That seems to have happened once or twice before  ::)