Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371972 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #420 on: January 04, 2015, 08:05:27 PM »
I like the melodies and the overall tone going on in the new track. Though I'm not too fond of the lyrics.

Online Mladen

« Reply #421 on: January 05, 2015, 02:05:28 AM »
I love this song, I got hooked the first time I heard it.  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #422 on: January 05, 2015, 09:42:28 PM »
So has the title track been officially released?  Am I allowed to talk about that track then? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #423 on: January 05, 2015, 09:43:13 PM »
Well I bought it on Amazon so I'm assuming so.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #424 on: January 05, 2015, 09:47:20 PM »
BlackInk...what was wrong with the lyrics?   Did anyone else not care for them?   I mean...I haven't focused on the *actual* lyrics too much. I've just been picking out phrases here and there in relation to how they fit in with the theme. 

I don't think this is a spoiler at all, but I'm not sure, so I'll play it safe and put it here:

I think it's common knowledge that the story is told from the girls POV....so I feel like all the lyrics fit when taken in that context.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #425 on: January 05, 2015, 09:51:04 PM »
Unless the lyrics are awesomely brutal or amazingly sappy/cheesy or downright horrible, I don't pay much mind to them. Granted, they're very important, but at the same time, they have to be at the epitome of either spectrum for me to be highly judgmental of them. Otherwise, I just take them as they are; the telling of a story. In this song, I didn't feel any need to single them out because I don't think they're cheesy or bad, but at the same time I didn't find any lines that stuck out to me as awesome or amazing. It's just the telling of a story, and that is fine; the music behind it is what turned me onto the song.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #426 on: January 06, 2015, 03:34:32 AM »
I've got nothing to add but I'm following

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #427 on: January 06, 2015, 03:45:57 AM »
Lyrics are surprisingly unimportant to me. They are just words written to be sung to create melodies, and in my opinion the vocal melodies and how catchy they are, is way more important than the content of the lyrics. Great lyrics delivered in an average way is not very enjoyable, but average lyrics delivered in a great way can be really nice.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #428 on: January 06, 2015, 08:14:38 AM »
BlackInk...what was wrong with the lyrics?   Did anyone else not care for them?   I mean...I haven't focused on the *actual* lyrics too much. I've just been picking out phrases here and there in relation to how they fit in with the theme. 

I don't think this is a spoiler at all, but I'm not sure, so I'll play it safe and put it here:

I think it's common knowledge that the story is told from the girls POV....so I feel like all the lyrics fit when taken in that context.

There are few lines in the verses I reacted to being a bit trivial. It didn't feel like something you would say in a song lyric, too literally describing things without the 'poetic' touch usually found in SW's music.

It would be easy to take issue with the 'love'-stuff in this song, but I really enjoyed that since it fit the song. So that's not what I mean. And the chorus is pretty damn good, lyrics and all.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #429 on: January 06, 2015, 12:47:32 PM »
Lyrics are surprisingly unimportant to me. They are just words written to be sung to create melodies, and in my opinion the vocal melodies and how catchy they are, is way more important than the content of the lyrics. Great lyrics delivered in an average way is not very enjoyable, but average lyrics delivered in a great way can be really nice.

um, pretty much this ^

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #430 on: January 06, 2015, 04:58:51 PM »
Lyrics have never mattered to me in the slightest, I can't remember the last time I read through the lyrics of an album jacket. It would literally have been 20 years ago. Even for my favorite albums that I'm eagerly anticipating, I'll look through the art work but won't even bother looking at the lyrics. There are songs from my favorite bands that I've been listening to for 20 years that if you asked me to write the lyrics to, I would be stumped.

The people in my life have never understood this, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care about lyrics.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #431 on: January 06, 2015, 06:11:19 PM »
I'm a bit of a lyrics freak myself...but I can understand how people would be very dismissive of the lyrics to most music.  Most of them are banal at best.

But....for a CONCEPT ALBUM?   I guess the answers in this thread become much more surprising given that fact.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #432 on: January 06, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »
Bad lyrics can completely destroy an album for me. Good lyrics are very important to me. Luckily, Steven Wilson is a good lyricist.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #433 on: January 06, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »
I'm a bit of a lyrics freak myself...but I can understand how people would be very dismissive of the lyrics to most music.  Most of them are banal at best.

But....for a CONCEPT ALBUM?   I guess the answers in this thread become much more surprising given that fact.

I can only think of a few concepts albums where I cared at all about the concept itself. I don't imagine this album will be any different.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #434 on: January 06, 2015, 10:05:36 PM »
I also pay almost no attention to lyrics.  It took me several listens through SFAM before I even had an inkling of what was going on (if pressed, I probably still couldn't tell someone the story in any coherent way that made sense).  I still have no idea what is going on story-wise in albums like Mercy Falls, Clockwork Angels, 01011001, Into The Electric Castle, The Old Man and The Spirit, etc and I've heard them many many times each.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #435 on: January 06, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »
I'm the exact opposite. I pay very close attention to the lyrics, as I feel they affect for me at least the music itself. The mood that is attempted by the lyrics tying into the music creates the overall package. Just think of Raven with the desparate loneliness that the old man feels, and how that makes the music that much more harrowing. Fucking love the lyrics.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #436 on: January 06, 2015, 11:06:34 PM »
 :tup
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #437 on: January 06, 2015, 11:15:25 PM »
I'm the exact opposite. I pay very close attention to the lyrics, as I feel they affect for me at least the music itself. The mood that is attempted by the lyrics tying into the music creates the overall package. Just think of Raven with the desparate loneliness that the old man feels, and how that makes the music that much more harrowing. Fucking love the lyrics.

Ok so what's your take on the lyrics for the title track?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #438 on: January 07, 2015, 02:05:16 AM »
This thread seems to be mostly slit between two extreme viewpoints. Either "Lyrics are really important to me" or "I don't care at all about lyrics".

I can't be the only one who's in the middle here? I like hearing/reading lyrics that speak to me, and great lyrics can really elevate a song and make it even better. But that's only one part of a song, and bad lyrics will rarely put me off music as long as the music is good. Basically, if the lyrics are really great then I'll focus on them, but if not then I'll let them essentially be another instrument.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Mladen

« Reply #439 on: January 07, 2015, 02:36:32 AM »
I can't be the only one who's in the middle here? I like hearing/reading lyrics that speak to me, and great lyrics can really elevate a song and make it even better. But that's only one part of a song, and bad lyrics will rarely put me off music as long as the music is good. Basically, if the lyrics are really great then I'll focus on them, but if not then I'll let them essentially be another instrument.
I'm with you. Unless the lyrics are REALLY bad.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #440 on: January 07, 2015, 02:51:18 AM »
I'm with you. Unless the lyrics are REALLY bad.
Yeah just occasionally there's something that really puts me off. The reason varies though. Sometimes it might be the quality of the lyrics, but that's rare as like I said, I can almost always just ignore it and focus more on the music. I'm actually more likely to get annoyed by overly political lyrics with a message that puts me off. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #441 on: January 07, 2015, 07:41:59 AM »
LIFE TO SAVE LIFE
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #442 on: January 07, 2015, 07:44:26 AM »

Ok so what's your take on the lyrics for the title track?

I would put them on the bordering cheese side, but that may change once I see where they fit into the concept.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #443 on: January 07, 2015, 08:02:41 AM »
I haven't heard this song yet, so I can't comment specifically, but I have never understood the concept of not caring about lyrics at all.  I just can't fathom it. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #444 on: January 07, 2015, 08:17:37 AM »
Agreed. I'm in the middle too. Great lyrics will really elevate a song for me, but if the lyrics are just okay and the music is awesome, I don't mind that.

LIFE TO SAVE LIFE

:lol, I was thinking more like NOW WAIT A MINUTE MAN
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #445 on: January 07, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »
LIFE TO SAVE LIFE
No, see, that song is absolutely fine because it's not taking a preachy stance, it's actually incredibly balanced. Which I rather like.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #446 on: January 07, 2015, 08:38:46 AM »
Well then, I can't help but feel this conversation has reached a turning point.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #447 on: January 07, 2015, 08:44:45 AM »
LIFE TO SAVE LIFE
No, see, that song is absolutely fine because it's not taking a preachy stance, it's actually incredibly balanced. Which I rather like.

Really? Maybe you should...

PAY ATTENTION TO THE QUESTIONS WE HAVE RAISED!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #448 on: January 07, 2015, 08:46:43 AM »
YES I AM JUSTIFIED

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #449 on: January 07, 2015, 08:58:03 AM »
I've never viewed SW as a strong lyricist, but I've also rarely had problems with him. There are a few exceptions, and I think Feel So Low is probably one of my least favorite PT songs due to the lyrics/delivery, and the title track of FOABP has some weird lines, but all in all I think SW is mostly decent. He very rarely blows me away with his lyrics, but he is solid. When he avoids his typical clichéd topics of serial killers and trains, I think he does a decent job. The lyrics to The Raven That Refused to Sing were really nice, and one of my favorite lyrical moments from his last couple of albums. But he also mainly operates within a genre (Progressive Rock) which these days is not really a genre known for good lyrics.

He's no Mark Kozelek, but he hits it home with some songs from time to time.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #450 on: January 07, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
EVERYONE SURVIV... wait..

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #451 on: January 07, 2015, 09:42:46 AM »
Not so good lyrics don't really lower my opinion, but good lyrics definitely raise it.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #452 on: January 07, 2015, 10:34:57 AM »
I haven't heard this song yet, so I can't comment specifically, but I have never understood the concept of not caring about lyrics at all.  I just can't fathom it.

*shrug*

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #453 on: January 07, 2015, 10:56:33 AM »
Not so good lyrics don't really lower my opinion, but good lyrics definitely raise it.

I think this sums it up pretty well. I would have missed out on a lot of good music if I was nit picky about lyrics, and I probably would never have gotten into DT if that was the case. So I'm kinda happy I'm not very picky about it. If there's good lyrics, then great. Totally makes it better. If not, it's not a deal breaker.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #454 on: January 07, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
For me it's, the vast swath of okish lyrics simply get blended out when I listen to the song. Really good lyrics stand out positively, really bad ones negatively. That is, the bad ones draw attention to their badness, thus dragging down the experience.

Regarding SW, I had some problems with his downer lyrics, especially on FOABP. Luckily he stuck to melancholy on the Raven, and I like melancholic lyrics. Just not downer lyrics.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."