Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371360 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #4165 on: January 29, 2021, 02:16:42 PM »
Interesting, the brevity is part of the concept if I understood Steven correctly, and I think it's actually one of the album's best features that it's only 1LP long!

Yes, a commentary on short attention spans and our urge to move on to the next piece of media quickly. That said, the inclusion of Count of Unease pushed the album above the magic 40-minute mark, putting this at Misplaced Childhood and Dark Side of the Moon level, length-wise.

Intriguing to note that Anyone But Me, the track that Count of Unease replaced from the originally-announced tracklist, does not appear anywhere on any of the deluxe editions, as far as I can see.

What I mean is that with the level of commitment to the concept outside of the album itself, it seems like it would have more to say than it actually does.

The album isn't quite as dense as some of my favourite 1LP albums, & the songs (namely PS & COE) have quite a bit of room to breathe, so the album leaves me wanting more. Maybe that was intentional, but I don't really like it. :-\
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4166 on: January 29, 2021, 03:31:24 PM »
The three new songs (that weren't released as singles prior to today) all sound pretty good, but I will need to give them better listens this weekend when I can crank them up on a good stereo. 

As much as Wilson goes through different phases, this is a major departure.  Sure, To the Bone had the ABBA-influenced Permanating and the futuristic electronic bits in Song of I and Detonation, but this feels similar to Radiohead's move from OK Computer to Kid A, except that To the Bone, for as really good as it was, was no OK Computer, and I don't see The Future Bites being a Kid A.  I like it, but I'll be shocked if it becomes an album I love.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #4167 on: January 29, 2021, 05:49:59 PM »
I listened to the album several times today. I like it, but I don't love it. Musically it's fine, I personally don't mind the pop/electronic side of SW's music, and I'm actually kinda glad this wasn't just another prog album. He's already done that style to death and I'm glad to see him branching out a bit more.

I'm still digesting the album, but my main complaint as of now is just how short it is, which I know was a conscious decision, but I feel like since we've waited 3+ years now for a new album, I think there should be a bit more to it. I'm gonna put together my own extended version of the album with the B-Sides, bonus tracks and whatnot once my box set arrives.

If anyone's curious, the guy that bought the £10,000 Ultra Deluxe Limited Edition Box Set did an unboxing video, and he will be releasing the song from the exclusive 7" included in the box set soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1vm4mUyuGo&t=861s

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4168 on: January 29, 2021, 08:53:42 PM »

If anyone's curious, the guy that bought the £10,000 Ultra Deluxe Limited Edition Box Set did an unboxing video, and he will be releasing the song from the exclusive 7" included in the box set soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1vm4mUyuGo&t=861s

That is pretty sweet.  I guess I will have to keep my eyes open for the unofficial release of The Tastemaker.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #4169 on: January 30, 2021, 12:08:18 AM »
I decided to give The Future Bites a listen. I didn't really have any expectations in terms of quality, but overall I quite like it so far. After one listen, the highlights on here to me are SELF, PERSONAL SHOPPER, and COUNT OF UNEASE. The last one in particular was really nice. It feels like it combines the "blueprints" of Collapse the Light into Earth and Glass Arm Shattering, and makes it sound just like it belongs on this album. I'll definitely be coming back to this album, I think all of the songs on here could grow on me a lot.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4170 on: January 30, 2021, 11:12:38 AM »
It doesn't hurt it much, but there is a clear simiarity between 12 Things I Forgot and Lazarus.

It's in the same key at points.

Also my wife's observation when hearing this album:

"Personal Shopper needs to be remixed and played in the Clubs (when Clubbing happens again).

Yes, things were better in the 80's

I don't want to like your music"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 11:26:14 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4171 on: January 30, 2021, 02:21:22 PM »
Pleasant surprise that the Blu-ray contains the instrumentals too. I was curious about that since To The Bone Blu-ray had them.

I sorta wished I had a Dolby Atmos system to hear the Atmos mix. I checked out the stereo mix and it so much more sublime than the Youtube Music version.

Still digesting this album, lots of stuff to like.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline emtee

« Reply #4172 on: January 30, 2021, 02:41:51 PM »
Surprised to say the least. Far more enjoyable than I anticipated. Somehow he always manages to get emotion into his music. That is his secret sauce.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4173 on: January 30, 2021, 03:31:24 PM »
I think it's an incredible album. So many ear worms. And the production and mastering are just par excellence.

And I don't think it's actually as big a stylistic leap from To the Bone as some would have you believe.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4174 on: January 30, 2021, 04:02:10 PM »
Yeah, I'm not seeing this as an enormous departure either. We kind of saw it coming. Perfect life lead to Permanating and Song of I, and now we have an entire album of mostly electronic, art pop stuff. I admire the ambition of the album, but I'm still getting into it.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4175 on: January 30, 2021, 04:08:27 PM »
Yeah, I'm not seeing this as an enormous departure either. We kind of saw it coming. Perfect life lead to Permanating and Song of I, and now we have an entire album of mostly electronic, art pop stuff. I admire the ambition of the album, but I'm still getting into it.

Not to mention The 78 from Insurgentes. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4176 on: January 30, 2021, 06:04:11 PM »
While it is a good listen, all I can say is there is no distinctive element that would make me identify this album as a Steven Wilson album. It's just a generic pop / electronic album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4177 on: January 30, 2021, 07:02:20 PM »
While it is a good listen, all I can say is there is no distinctive element that would make me identify this album as a Steven Wilson album. It's just a generic pop / electronic album.

I am reading that a lot, that this is a pop album, and I don't hear it. How exactly is this a pop album?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4178 on: January 30, 2021, 09:10:15 PM »
Another new song, ripped from the vinyl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxHXQfV7Mt4

I like that one quite a bit. 

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4179 on: January 31, 2021, 02:21:29 AM »
That's a demo from years ago, isn't it?

I actually have that Tour Edition. Curious little bait and switch was pulled. Supposed to be clear vinyl for the album with the 7" being red, I think it was. And the album was supposed to have alternative artwork, too. What they've delivered to everybody is standard black vinyl, no artwork differences, with a white 7". Naughty.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4180 on: January 31, 2021, 05:09:52 AM »
That's a demo from years ago, isn't it?

I actually have that Tour Edition. Curious little bait and switch was pulled. Supposed to be clear vinyl for the album with the 7" being red, I think it was. And the album was supposed to have alternative artwork, too. What they've delivered to everybody is standard black vinyl, no artwork differences, with a white 7". Naughty.

I ordered the German touring version and was as disappointed as you. I wrote an extremely furious email to Universal and I would recommend for you to do the same. This is false advertising and I feel tricked out of my money.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4181 on: January 31, 2021, 06:30:17 AM »
I dropped them a line earlier asking for a refund. It's not a good look for them.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK