Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371125 times)

Offline Kram

Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3920 on: September 22, 2020, 02:37:28 PM »
I can understand why fans are upset, but totally agree about the overreaction and hostile negativity.  But that seems to be the new norm with anything on social media.

I'm not crazy about either of the two singles.  Neither are bad, but neither really get my attention either.  I'm not a huge SW fan generally so the change in style doesn't bother me, and in general, if this style of music is catchy I can totally enjoy it, but these two songs just didn't really captivate me enough to enjoy this style.  I probably won't get his new album as of now.

Pretty much. This may be the first SW album I won't buy. I still appreciate him branching out however. I'll still keep checking out his albums in the future.

+2.  Hand. Cannot. Erase. and The Raven are two of my all-time favorite albums - but this just does not speak to me at all, so will probably pass.  I'm sure he'll change it up again on his next release, so hopefully that style will be something that I can enjoy.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3921 on: September 22, 2020, 02:53:38 PM »
I like all his albums and I like these two singles as well. I'm interested to see where he will go on this album. (and on every forthcoming one as well. Call me open-minded I guess)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3922 on: September 22, 2020, 10:08:50 PM »
I just listen to it for the first time. I honestly can’t figure out if I like it or not. He’s walking a very fine line between irony and hypocrisy.

It’s polished, and it sounds commercial, but it’s not exactly radio friendly either. It does seem like the more commercial he gets the more he makes fun of commerciality. It’s just hard to figure out which side of the line he’s falling on sometimes.

I don’t know if I like it, but I kind of like the fact that it’s pissing everybody off. On that level, it kind of reminds me of when Frank Zappa used to make fun of the very audience that was listening to his music and yet somehow still managing to sell records to them.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DTA

« Reply #3923 on: September 23, 2020, 05:17:41 AM »
The song is ok, but I can already tell this album will probably not be one of my favorites of his. I appreciate his willingness to do anything in his power to shake up people's idea of what his music is supposed to sound like, but he may be going too far in a direction I just don't enjoy listening to.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3924 on: September 23, 2020, 06:13:53 AM »
No connection to that song at all. I'll be passing on this one.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3925 on: September 23, 2020, 06:26:56 AM »
New song ain’t bad. I respect any artist that’ll do what they want with their music. I agree that the outrage from people on social media is ridiculous. It’s really not “that” big of a deal. There’s so much other music to listen to if you don’t like this.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #3926 on: September 23, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
RIP Steven Wilson   I wanted to say that he's dead to me musically.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:36:20 AM by pfillion »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3927 on: September 23, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »
RIP Steven Wilson :(
Eh? Hang on. He didn't die did he?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3928 on: September 23, 2020, 10:43:23 AM »
Eh? Hang on. He didn't die did he?

No, he's dead to him musically, I'd guess.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pfillion

« Reply #3929 on: September 23, 2020, 10:54:51 AM »
Hahaha yeah he's still alive ;)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3930 on: September 23, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »
I can definitely see the PF vibe.
Not hearing the PF vibe at all, aside from the keyboards that start at 1:40. Before that, I fail to hear anything that sounds remotely like PF (tho admittedly I don't know all their albums). Definitely prefer Personal Shopper over this one. Props to him for branching out, but I dunno what my thoughts will be on the full album.

Agree, the only PF sounding thing on this is the keyboard/organ riff.  Song in general was a chore to get though for me and Personal Shopper wasn’t much different.

It’s a combination of that little organ/electric piano part, the female singers, and the general Money-ish vibe in the lyrics.

I thought it had more of a "Not Now John" vibe

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3931 on: September 23, 2020, 11:28:07 AM »
I can definitely see the PF vibe.
Not hearing the PF vibe at all, aside from the keyboards that start at 1:40. Before that, I fail to hear anything that sounds remotely like PF (tho admittedly I don't know all their albums). Definitely prefer Personal Shopper over this one. Props to him for branching out, but I dunno what my thoughts will be on the full album.

Agree, the only PF sounding thing on this is the keyboard/organ riff.  Song in general was a chore to get though for me and Personal Shopper wasn’t much different.

It’s a combination of that little organ/electric piano part, the female singers, and the general Money-ish vibe in the lyrics.

I thought it had more of a "Not Now John" vibe
I somewhat agree. Not a bad reference IMHO. (but then again, I actually like The Final Cut quite a bit.)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3932 on: September 23, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »
Wow, the people on Facebook  :rollin   Holy Shit! 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3933 on: September 23, 2020, 12:25:59 PM »
No connection to that song at all. I'll be passing on this one.

What he said

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3934 on: September 23, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »
Wow, the people on Facebook  :rollin   Holy Shit! 

I logged into facebook just to see the comments :lol, "please go back to being miserable" :lol

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3935 on: September 23, 2020, 01:37:20 PM »
I think it's great he is trying out things. Not my cup of tea but it must be fun and creative for him to do this!

Personal shopper worked better but I am not a fan of the production I must say. Both songs sound like 80s future which is bleeeh.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3936 on: September 23, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »
I logged into facebook just to see the comments :lol, "please go back to being miserable" :lol
When I saw that he got a puppy, a guy at work said “Oh, this is really going to make his music happy, isn’t it?”
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3937 on: September 23, 2020, 02:27:32 PM »

Ever since 2016 happened to the music world, my heart almost skips a beat whenever I read something like this. Please don't post stuff like this...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3938 on: September 23, 2020, 02:38:15 PM »

Ever since 2016 happened to the music world, my heart almost skips a beat whenever I read something like this. Please don't post stuff like this...
hence my being confused above.  He is alive.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3939 on: September 23, 2020, 03:06:30 PM »
I liked the song :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3940 on: September 23, 2020, 10:14:31 PM »
I enjoyed the song. It's a nice funky groove. Love how the music style is playing into the concept.

Also...I haven't seen this much disappointment since The Astonishing.. :corn

I listened to Personal Shopper again. And I think I understand exactly why the music is in the style it's in. I need to hear the album to confirm this. If so, then this may be one of my all time favorite concept albums.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:23:18 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3941 on: September 23, 2020, 10:23:05 PM »
Honestly, I don't know what the big deal is.  I've seen so many bands I liked change their sound to the point where they are a bunch of generic pieces of crap and a shell of their former selves.  Honestly, I would say Permanating was a much bigger change of direction for him and I liked that song.  This new song is all right, but I probably wouldn't listen to it too much.  I think from what I've seen people describe other people's reactions to it, I think people may be overexaggerating on how the song is.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3942 on: September 23, 2020, 10:32:06 PM »
Honestly, I don't know what the big deal is.  I've seen so many bands I liked change their sound to the point where they are a bunch of generic pieces of crap and a shell of their former selves.  Honestly, I would say Permanating was a huge change of direction for him and I liked that song.  This new song is all right, but I probably wouldn't listen to it too much.  I think from what I've seen people describe other people's reactions to it, I think people may be overexaggerating on how the song is.

I think it's the style of music people are upset about. One guy I know, on Facebook, said exactly that, he enjoys his Prog more than this Disco/Funk/Electronic style he has with this album.

I for one am liking this style the more I listen to both songs. I say it's slightly more Funky than Disco personally. It reminds me of a more Electronic Proggy Prince.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3943 on: September 24, 2020, 08:30:35 AM »
If you don't care for some genres as much as others and you feel a lowered interest because of that, I think it's perfectly fine and logical. But to me it goes beyond any rational logic the way some people are acting on his FB like he has betrayed them or anything.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3944 on: September 24, 2020, 08:41:27 AM »
If you don't care for some genres as much as others and you feel a lowered interest because of that, I think it's perfectly fine and logical. But to me it goes beyond any rational logic the way some people are acting on his FB like he has betrayed them or anything.

Same here. I just laugh at them though.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3945 on: September 24, 2020, 01:06:44 PM »
Honestly, I don't know what the big deal is.  I've seen so many bands I liked change their sound to the point where they are a bunch of generic pieces of crap and a shell of their former selves.  Honestly, I would say Permanating was a huge change of direction for him and I liked that song.  This new song is all right, but I probably wouldn't listen to it too much.  I think from what I've seen people describe other people's reactions to it, I think people may be overexaggerating on how the song is.

I think it's the style of music people are upset about. One guy I know, on Facebook, said exactly that, he enjoys his Prog more than this Disco/Funk/Electronic style he has with this album.

I for one am liking this style the more I listen to both songs. I say it's slightly more Funky than Disco personally. It reminds me of a more Electronic Proggy Prince.

Yeah, the music style issue for me is where my problem is.  Although Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson have always been very hit or miss with me, mostly miss.  I think Deadwing, In Ansentia, The Raven album and Hand.Cannot.Erase are all brilliant.   There was a pretty nice solo EP in there somewhere too that was obviously leftovers from some earlier sessions but still pretty nice.    But I've never made it all the way through any of the other albums.  Based on the two songs I've heard and based on the fact that To The Bone did nothing for me, I guess he's moving off in a new direction now.  I hope it works out for him, he seems like a nice enough kid. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3946 on: September 24, 2020, 02:35:38 PM »
Not getting the whole disco/funk stuff. This is still fairly prog to me, more Peter Gabriel than his usual morose stuff but it’s hardly disco.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3947 on: September 24, 2020, 03:44:37 PM »
I hope it works out for him, he seems like a nice enough kid.

Does he though?  From the two shows I've seen of him live, he kind of rubbed me off as a bit of an asshole.  Not to the point that I don't like him or I'm turned off, but kind of a noticeable attitude. 

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3948 on: September 24, 2020, 03:48:14 PM »
He's just British. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3949 on: September 24, 2020, 03:54:15 PM »
He's just British. :lol

Yup, I do think that's it  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3950 on: September 24, 2020, 05:11:08 PM »
I've been to 3 or 4 gigs and I don't get an asshole vibe from him. I expected it, but I think it's his British humor that may rub some people the wrong way. I actually had some fun and enjoyable evenings.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3951 on: September 25, 2020, 05:44:03 AM »
He lives about 10 miles from where I was brought up. I can tell you he seems perfectly normal to me - and I say that without a trace of irony :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3952 on: September 26, 2020, 05:54:09 AM »
Not getting the whole disco/funk stuff. This is still fairly prog to me, more Peter Gabriel than his usual morose stuff but it’s hardly disco.

I appreciate this. Prog should be a broad church. Anything's prog if you let it be.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3953 on: September 26, 2020, 06:14:43 AM »

I appreciate this. Prog should be a broad church. Anything's prog if you let it be.
I fully agree. To me it is. And to him it is as well.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3954 on: September 26, 2020, 12:17:30 PM »
I still haven't listened to the new single, but I did order the CD single from Burning Shed, which comes with 2 exclusive songs that won't be on the special edition of the album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!