Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370834 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3675 on: January 04, 2019, 02:52:46 AM »
Still waiting on the ebook. I know they said there will be none, but then Steven Wilson once said that his music wouldn't be on spotify.
The difference is, SW had nothing to do with the making or publication of this book. :P

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3676 on: January 04, 2019, 04:48:16 AM »
I know, I just used it as an analogy.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3677 on: January 04, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
Fair enough.

Has Lifting Shadows ever come out as an ebook btw?

Offline Rob801

« Reply #3678 on: January 07, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »
I'd love to buy it but with 58 GBP for shipping I think I'll pass  :'(
If you are refering to shipping for the book mentioned above, that seems like an awful lot... the shipping price shown for me is just under 15 USD (to So Cal).

I have not ordered yet but am thinking about it... has anyone read it? is it good?

On a side note, I bought the new BD, love it, but wish there were a digital copy included (would've liked to be able to watch it on my phone or iPad while at the gym etc). I've had luck ripping other stuff (strictly for personal use) before with Handbrake, but not with this.

Edit: Can see it is available on iTunes... am buying (again) for convenience, but not thrilled about having to do so (after already buying the double CD/BD version to begin with).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:03:42 PM by Rob801 »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3679 on: January 11, 2019, 07:34:40 AM »
I came up with the worst joke ever:

What did the snare drum say to Steven Wilson in the 80s?

"Don't Gate Me"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3680 on: January 11, 2019, 08:01:54 AM »
 :facepalm:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3681 on: January 11, 2019, 08:19:31 AM »
I came up with the worst joke ever:

What did the snare drum say to Steven Wilson in the 80s?

"Don't Gate Me"

Mike Mangini with DT: Hold my beer  :biggrin: :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3682 on: February 26, 2019, 02:37:40 PM »
Saw SW live last night in Helsinki :metal Not the best gig I've seen by him (only because the second leg of the HCE tour set the bar really high), but I enjoyed it more than the one last year, mainly because I had a much better view this time. There was a lot of joking around, such as the guys lying down during Ancestral and going up to Craig and clapping out of time next to him in an attempt to throw him off. However, during the intermission Steven learned of Talk Talk frontman Mark Hollis' death and was in a slightly more somber mood for the rest of the show - he dedicated Song of Unborn to him, which was nice. It was cool to hear Don't Hate Me again after a bit of a break, as well as one of my SW solo faves, Get All You Deserve, for the first time, and he even played an acoustic version of PT's Sentimental with Adam in the encore. An amusing thing I paid attention to was that while Permanating gets a lot of hate online, people go bananas for it when it gets played live. By contrast, Get All You Deserve, No Twilight... and Index got a pretty subdued reaction last night.

I also attended the VIP event before the show - I don't usually buy those kinds of packages, because I don't find the typical meet-and-greets interesting, but this one included an exclusive signed live CD and a 3-song soundcheck instead, so I decided to shell out the bucks for it. SW performed Trains acoustically and Sectarian with the whole band, and finally Adam played a piano version of Abandoner. The soundcheck had been advertised as including 3 acoustic songs by Steven, but he explained that he has to save his voice for the shows, which is why he only sings Trains in the soundchecks now. I haven't listened to the CD yet, but all-in-all I'd say the experience was worth the price :tup I even managed to get a guitar pick, as one of the techs was handing those out to us while we were waiting for Steven to arrive.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3683 on: February 26, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »
The M&G thing has never really interested me, but a signed CD and being able to watch the soundcheck is extremely interesting.  Sounds like a good time.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3684 on: February 26, 2019, 09:47:31 PM »
Saw SW live last night in Helsinki :metal Not the best gig I've seen by him (only because the second leg of the HCE tour set the bar really high), but I enjoyed it more than the one last year, mainly because I had a much better view this time. There was a lot of joking around, such as the guys lying down during Ancestral and going up to Craig and clapping out of time next to him in an attempt to throw him off.

I also attended the VIP event before the show - I don't usually buy those kinds of packages, because I don't find the typical meet-and-greets interesting, but this one included an exclusive signed live CD and a 3-song soundcheck instead, so I decided to shell out the bucks for it. SW performed Trains acoustically and Sectarian with the whole band, and finally Adam played a piano version of Abandoner. The soundcheck had been advertised as including 3 acoustic songs by Steven, but he explained that he has to save his voice for the shows, which is why he only sings Trains in the soundchecks now. I haven't listened to the CD yet, but all-in-all I'd say the experience was worth the price :tup I even managed to get a guitar pick, as one of the techs was handing those out to us while we were waiting for Steven to arrive.

We had pretty much the same experience in Hamburg, picks included. What's curious is that it seemed to me SW actually played with different picks on stage.

Also I'm seeing him tonight again, we'll see if he changes anything.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3685 on: February 27, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »
A few minutes until the show. Also spotted Marjana from iamthemorning in the crowd. :P

Edit: The Creator Had a Mastertape instead of Don't Hate Me, not bad already! And Refuge, holy shit.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:35:59 AM by Evermind »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3686 on: February 27, 2019, 10:55:06 AM »
I love Refuge.  What a great song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3687 on: February 27, 2019, 11:12:39 AM »
I love Refuge.  What a great song.

I was sad they didn't play it a week ago.

Now I just hope Arrival Somewhere but not Here will also be played now that they're changing the setlist.

Edit: YEEESSSSSSSSSS and also Heartattack in a Layby wow
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 12:14:16 PM by Evermind »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3688 on: February 27, 2019, 02:57:09 PM »
Playing all those songs in Russia makes sense, considering that SW hadn't played there on this tour yet. Arriving was my favorite part of the show on the first leg, so I'm happy for you :tup
We had pretty much the same experience in Hamburg, picks included. What's curious is that it seemed to me SW actually played with different picks on stage.
Yeah, I bet most guitarists don't actually play with the picks that their bands sell in the merch booths, but at least they look nice :P

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3689 on: February 27, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
Playing all those songs in Russia makes sense, considering that SW hadn't played there on this tour yet. Arriving was my favorite part of the show on the first leg, so I'm happy for you :tup

Thank you! The whole two different shows thing ended up in a best case scenario possible. I worried a bit about getting the same setlist and instead got five different songs (the fifth being Even Less), and a lot of the regular songs like Ancestral, Lazarus or Raven are the ones I absolutely don't mind hearing again and again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3690 on: February 27, 2019, 03:13:19 PM »
They probably have a cheaper one to hand out so they can make them in mass quantities and then they play with one they enjoy using more.  That's just my guess.

Also having seen SW on two shows, I was happy to have gotten Arriving Somewhere both times.  That's just such a fantastic song, and then we got a rotation of maybe 5 other songs.  I was happy.

Evermind, did he have the projection set up with the see through screen in front of the band?  He only had that on one of the two shows I saw and it was really cool stage production that the second time I was really bummed they just had a backdrop behind them.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3691 on: February 27, 2019, 03:22:30 PM »
Evermind, did he have the projection set up with the see through screen in front of the band?  He only had that on one of the two shows I saw and it was really cool stage production that the second time I was really bummed they just had a backdrop behind them.

He had it for the intro film, Nowhere Now, Pariah (with Ninet projection singing her parts), Song of I, Lazarus and Vermillioncore for both Hamburg and Moscow shows. It was pretty great, but there was one side-effect I didn't notice the first time around, but definitely noticed in Moscow where I didn't go for the first row: pretty much everyone in front of me whipped out their phones and started taking videos for Song of I. And Steven literally said he would appreciate people not doing that a few minutes before that. :lol

They probably have a cheaper one to hand out so they can make them in mass quantities and then they play with one they enjoy using more.  That's just my guess.

This makes sense. The pick looks pretty good though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3692 on: February 27, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »
Ah thats cool you got it for both shows.  Why did he ask for no videos from that song?  I don't recall him asking that when he played it in NJ.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3693 on: February 27, 2019, 03:38:37 PM »
Ah thats cool you got it for both shows.  Why did he ask for no videos from that song?  I don't recall him asking that when he played it in NJ.

It wasn't for that song, it's just before playing Permanating (and then Song of I) he had a talking spot where he said something along the lines of "I see a lot of people with iPhones and whatnot filming the show... well, just saying folks, I recently spent a lot of time and funds making this video of one of my shows, releasing it on Blu-Ray and all, and I can certainly guarantee you guys the quality there is better than your shitty iPhone videos. And, you know, I'm just saying. So how about you guys just cut it out with the filming? I mean, just saying, you aren't annoying me, but I can assure you, you're definitely annoying the person right behind you."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3694 on: February 27, 2019, 03:41:50 PM »
oh one of those types of speeches  :lol  we also didn't get that in NJ, it wasn't a very well attended show though (compared to say the show he played in Denver)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3695 on: February 27, 2019, 11:57:01 PM »
oh one of those types of speeches  :lol  we also didn't get that in NJ, it wasn't a very well attended show though (compared to say the show he played in Denver)

Well, up until this tour, he'd have notices posted around the venue clearly stating no recording of any kind. And security was incredibly hot on it in the UK, at least. This tour was definitely more relaxed in that regard. Shame, in my opinion, because it weakened the atmosphere. But hey, not everyone feels the same, I get that.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3696 on: February 28, 2019, 04:24:25 AM »

Well, up until this tour, he'd have notices posted around the venue clearly stating no recording of any kind. And security was incredibly hot on it in the UK, at least. This tour was definitely more relaxed in that regard. Shame, in my opinion, because it weakened the atmosphere. But hey, not everyone feels the same, I get that.
Cameras were actually banned in Helsinki this week - maybe it depends on the venue or he decided to return to that policy following the DVD release.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3697 on: February 28, 2019, 07:09:15 AM »
I was not aware, there was no policy like that in Denver before the live album release or in NJ after the album release.  I actually thought he was OK with it, but if his issue is more about bothering others, I know for both those shows I can safely say I wasn't bothering anyone as no one was behind me either shows  :lol

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3698 on: February 28, 2019, 08:04:29 AM »
but if his issue is more about bothering others

I HATE it when I have to watch a gig through the smart phone-/whatever-device-screen of the guy/gal in front of me.
Just as much as people talking all the way during the gig.
But that's all another topic...
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3699 on: February 28, 2019, 09:34:50 AM »
but if his issue is more about bothering others

I HATE it when I have to watch a gig through the smart phone-/whatever-device-screen of the guy/gal in front of me.
Just as much as people talking all the way during the gig.
But that's all another topic...

No, it's relevant. I didn't care about it when I was in the first row, but fuck is it annoying to see people in front of you filming. It's not even a good quality or anything, they're quite far from the stage, as I am.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3700 on: February 28, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
Steven  complimented the crowd in Tampa for enjoying the show in its entirety with very minimal phone recording.
He said he's never seen a show so dedicated to just watching the performance. He was like what is wrong with you guys. Lol.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3701 on: May 02, 2019, 06:26:51 AM »
Steven Wilson is also into Carl Sagan and PBD stuff !! He just released a VC for the Song of Unborn inspired by Carl Sagan...IMO he should have chosen a different topic given that a large part of his audience are DT fans, anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXki_m6bF7o

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3702 on: May 02, 2019, 09:12:33 AM »
Eh? You know that Song of Unborn was recorded (and almost certainly, written) well before Pale Blue Dot, right? And that the video was used from early on in the To the Bone tour, as soon as Jess Cope had finished it?

And why on earth would Steven Wilson modify his material or approach because some Dream Theater fans are also part of his audience?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3703 on: May 06, 2019, 05:01:51 AM »
I am fully aware that the Song of Unborn was recorded and released way before PBD, however the video I was referring to was only released on SW youtube channel last week, and I never knew that this video was previously displayed during the tour. 

I guess my post shows clearly that I was not aware that the video was used or created in the past, but obviously not that clear to you (given the fact that you used almost half a dozen of questions marks in two sentences).

Anyway...

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3704 on: May 28, 2019, 01:00:39 AM »
Steven posted a clip on his Instagram from the recording of his new album he just started.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx8PdcTAhnS/
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3705 on: May 28, 2019, 04:10:54 AM »
Love the keyboard tone on that clip. Since he's recording it now I imagine he's written the album already. I'm guessing an early 2020 release.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3706 on: May 28, 2019, 06:50:57 AM »
Love the keyboard tone on that clip. Since he's recording it now I imagine he's written the album already. I'm guessing an early 2020 release.
likely so, yes. (IIRC, he mentioned a 2020 release last year already when the promotion for Home Invasion happened)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3707 on: July 11, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/stevenwilsonhq/

"stevenwilsonhq
No matter what music and artists come and go in my life and listening habits, one remains constant. There is a song on my next record which I thought of as my electro soul ballad in which I was somehow channelling Marvin Gaye (ok, stop laughing now). But everyone I play it to compares it only to the mighty Floyd. So it seems I just can’t get away from it, and why would I want to? They are in my DNA, my “Beatles”. Thanks to Lana T for the vintage t-shirt. Enjoy the Summer! #bandtshirt @pinkfloyd"

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3709 on: July 20, 2019, 09:35:39 PM »
Is there anything new on this reissue?
The standard HCE album and BR edition and nothing more?