Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370380 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3360 on: March 27, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »
It's on Steven Wilson's Facebook page regarding the new issue being the same mix.

Steven Wilson
February 6 at 4:22pm ·
A new edition of Porcupine Tree's first concert film "Arriving Somewhere" will be released by Kscope as a 3 disc Blu-Ray / 2 CD combo on 23rd March. Filmed across 2 nights in Chicago and originally issued as a double DVD set in 2006, Arriving Somewhere wasn't shot in high-definition so the transfer to blu-ray here is more for convenience, containing as it does all the contents from both DVDs. Contrary to record company promotion which claims I have remastered it, the audio uses the original Darcy Proper master for both the stereo and 5.1 (which sounds great, Darcy did a great job in 2006). The main changes are that for the first time the concert audio has been included on 2 CDs, and the cover image has been revised. The release coincides with the forthcoming vinyl reissues of 2 of the Porcupine Tree's signature albums In Absentia (2002) and Deadwing (2005), from which a lot of the repertoire in the concert film is taken.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3361 on: March 27, 2018, 08:11:24 AM »
It's on Steven Wilson's Facebook page regarding the new issue being the same mix.

Steven Wilson
A new edition of Porcupine Tree's first concert film "Arriving Somewhere" will be released by Kscope as a 3 disc Blu-Ray / 2 CD combo on 23rd March. Filmed across 2 nights in Chicago and originally issued as a double DVD set in 2006, Arriving Somewhere wasn't shot in high-definition so the transfer to blu-ray here is more for convenience, containing as it does all the contents from both DVDs. Contrary to record company promotion which claims I have remastered it, the audio uses the original Darcy Proper master for both the stereo and 5.1 (which sounds great, Darcy did a great job in 2006). The main changes are that for the first time the concert audio has been included on 2 CDs, and the cover image has been revised. The release coincides with the forthcoming vinyl reissues of 2 of the Porcupine Tree's signature albums In Absentia (2002) and Deadwing (2005), from which a lot of the repertoire in the concert film is taken.

Huh. Interesting...Thanks for the clarification. I did like the original mix a lot. Very punchy.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3362 on: March 27, 2018, 08:57:54 AM »
This whole recalling previous statements thing is absolute rubbish! SW has just as much right to change his mind on things as any of us have. It should never be a case of once you say something you are committed to it for life and can never ever do anything even remotely against that. Give the guy a break, for crying out loud!
Relax, it was a joke :) (at least on my part)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3363 on: March 27, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »

Steven Wilson

Huh. Interesting...Thanks for the clarification. I did like the original mix a lot. Very punchy.

As did I, so I am glad. I pre-ordered this and sold the DVDs. Having this as a big package with the CDs is perfect.

>>>>Been reading Rich Wilson's biography on PT. Good stuff so far.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3364 on: March 27, 2018, 09:44:01 AM »
One of the other live releases, from a production point of view, that I enjoy a lot from PT is the Live in Atlanta from the FOABP. This show sounds very raw and energetic. Same goes for that fan club cd "ilosaarirock" that was released during that time as well. I enjoy them more than Anesthetize, which sounds a bit overly produced in my opinion.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3365 on: March 27, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »
One of the other live releases, from a production point of view, that I enjoy a lot from PT is the Live in Atlanta from the FOABP. This show sounds very raw and energetic. Same goes for that fan club cd "ilosaarirock" that was released during that time as well. I enjoy them more than Anesthetize, which sounds a bit overly produced in my opinion.

Are those available anywhere? I don't own them, and probably should.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3366 on: March 27, 2018, 09:49:06 AM »

Are those available anywhere? I don't own them, and probably should.

Here's the Burning Shed link for Live in Atlanta, and Rockpalast (which is from the Deadwing tour). The fan club CD is out of print and wasn't released as a download.

https://burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/porcupinetree_downloads

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3367 on: March 27, 2018, 09:49:47 AM »
Much appreciated. Thank you!

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #3368 on: March 27, 2018, 12:11:35 PM »
Nick Beggs is ready for tonight's 1st show in the RAH :D

https://twitter.com/NickBeggs/status/978680622930628608

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3369 on: March 27, 2018, 12:19:43 PM »
No filming going on here tonight as far as I can tell (I think someone wondered if there would be), looks like it'll just be Thursday.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3370 on: March 27, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »
This whole recalling previous statements thing is absolute rubbish! SW has just as much right to change his mind on things as any of us have. It should never be a case of once you say something you are committed to it for life and can never ever do anything even remotely against that. Give the guy a break, for crying out loud!
Relax, it was a joke :) (at least on my part)

Fair enough, but many people do this deadly seriously, and it's a ridiculous trait of the times we live in.

No filming going on here tonight as far as I can tell (I think someone wondered if there would be), looks like it'll just be Thursday.

The final paragraph of SW's Facebook statement says...

Per Wilson's Facebook:

The final night is in many ways the most exciting for me, because the big news is that we are filming it for a blu-ray/DVD release. As I've constantly wanted to raise the bar in terms of the production levels in the show itself, so it is with the way we are going to film this show, I want to create something that captures as much of the spectacle and immersive aspects of the show as possible. We also have my former band-mate from the Porcupine Tree days Richard Barbieri doing an opening set on this evening, and it would seem rude to not get together to do at least one old PT song! We’ve just released the last few production seat tickets and as we’re filming it would be great to have a completely full house, so if you haven’t got a ticket for this show, please come along, make some noise, and be in my video!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3371 on: March 27, 2018, 01:56:04 PM »
Yes, I know he's filming on the third night. Someone earlier in the thread wondered if they might have cameras around the other RAH nights. Was just advising there aren't any.

Aside from that, the moaning about the new guitarist is so utterly unjustified. He's been incredible to this point (intermission).
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3372 on: March 27, 2018, 02:05:25 PM »
Meanwhile, I'm currently swaying along to the awesome jam session at the end of Detonation. This is a serious contender to knock off Drive Home as my favourite SW song. The atmosphere and drive of Detonation (no pun intended) is just extraordinary. I love everything about it, but the keyboards in that closing instrumental really take it to another level, in terms of atmosphere.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3373 on: March 27, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »
As much as I love Detonation, it might only be my 4th favorite from the record, behind Refuge, Song of Unborn and the title track (which has really risen for me lately).

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3374 on: March 27, 2018, 05:05:55 PM »
Song of Unborn was debuted tonight. Superb live.

And the instrumental part of Detonation was possibly my highlight of the evening.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3375 on: March 27, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »
Nice :tup, I'm jealous of everyone who will be there for those shows

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #3376 on: March 28, 2018, 04:19:22 PM »
I know SW does his thing his way but to be honest if I bought a ticket last year for this tour and he decided to perform a lot of HCE material I would be a bit disappointed as I saw that tour 3 times. As far as I know he didn’t specify that all the nights would be different when tix went on sale. Unless you got tix to all 3 which I’m not sure many people do anymore due to prices.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3377 on: March 28, 2018, 04:20:38 PM »
As much as I love Detonation, it might only be my 4th favorite from the record, behind Refuge, Song of Unborn and the title track (which has really risen for me lately).

I can't get enough of Refuge.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3378 on: March 28, 2018, 05:08:10 PM »
Well, tonight's show was quite the breath-taker. Worth checking out on setlist.fm.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3379 on: March 28, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
Well, tonight's show was quite the breath-taker. Worth checking out on setlist.fm.

Wonder what the setlist might be for tomorrow...full To The Bone album possibly?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3380 on: March 28, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »
Pretty sick set list.

I suspect tomorrow night's will have most of both To the Bone and Hand Cannot Erase, The Raven (the song), most of the PT songs he has been playing this tour, and maybe a surprise or two.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3381 on: March 28, 2018, 11:48:19 PM »
Fuck, he did The Sky Moves Sideways !?? :o :o
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3382 on: March 29, 2018, 01:26:23 AM »

That is a very good setlist. Really intrigued to see what makes it to the set tonight

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3383 on: March 29, 2018, 06:33:41 AM »
Still loving To The Bone.  Would have loved to have heard what Gavin H would have done on Asylum (assuming he could play what he wanted).
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3384 on: March 29, 2018, 06:35:03 AM »
I know SW does his thing his way but to be honest if I bought a ticket last year for this tour and he decided to perform a lot of HCE material I would be a bit disappointed as I saw that tour 3 times. As far as I know he didn’t specify that all the nights would be different when tix went on sale. Unless you got tix to all 3 which I’m not sure many people do anymore due to prices.

He didn't initially announce that he was doing multiple shows, just one night was announced.  I wasn't particularly happy with the tickets available at the time and did think he may announce further shows but couldn't take the risk and got what was available on night one.  Absolutely loved the show and the Royal Albert Hall (always wanted to see a show there) but I would definitely have gone with the 3rd night if I'd known up front that they were filming that night.  Can't complain though, I still got an amazing show and only £40.00 a ticket in that venue is very reasonable.  I saw him in Manchester on HCE tour for £25.00 which is unbelievable value in today's market.

Can't believe Dream Theater have never played this venue, just seems like the type of historic venue that would have appealed to Mike Portnoy in particular, always dreamed they would do a special show there with full orchestra etc.  Would have paid for that in an instant but instead they have historically gone with Hammersmith Apollo and Wembley Arena when choosing a larger London venue.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3385 on: March 30, 2018, 08:57:38 PM »
Hmmmm, no discussion on the 3rd night at RAH? Set list mostly looked like standard fare considering this year's sets thus far.  Bummer to see no Routine considering Ninet was there; that feels like a missed opportunity to capture that song on a live DVD with both SW and Ninet singing.  Regardless, I am sure the Blu-ray/DVD will kick all kinds of ass.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3386 on: March 30, 2018, 09:19:03 PM »
Just saw the setlist and I'm mildly disappointed in the final product.   I hope that's not the ONLY night he filmed (though I think it is).   There's just too much that has already been released in video form, and considering how rarely he actually releases home video, I think it's bullcrap to fill it up with stuff we've seen already. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3387 on: March 30, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
Just saw the setlist and I'm mildly disappointed in the final product.   I hope that's not the ONLY night he filmed (though I think it is).   There's just too much that has already been released in video form, and considering how rarely he actually releases home video, I think it's bullcrap to fill it up with stuff we've seen already.

Huh?

He played 21 songs last night, none of which were on Get What You Deserve, the only other full concert he has released from his solo career. 

Sure, the 5 PT songs were on the two concerts they released in the 00's, but that is only 5 of 21 songs.

While I wish The Raven would have had more representation than just the title track, I think he did a great job of not repeating any songs from his solo career from the last DVD.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3388 on: March 30, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
Let's put it this way.   If I had to choose between the show that got filmed, and the show on the 28th.....I would choose the latter every single time....and maybe even paid extra. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3389 on: March 30, 2018, 10:01:25 PM »
Well, despite the absence of the Raven at that show, I probably agree with that.  I think SW looks at shows like that as something special for those in attendance only, while he'd rather the video release be an accurate representation of the tour.  Awesome for those in attendance, and certainly a bit frustrating for those of us who would have killed to have been at that show.

That said, I was not expecting any video release from this tour, so I am thrilled with what we will get.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3390 on: March 30, 2018, 11:53:41 PM »
For me, the second night was easily the best of the three. Not because I was ever a Porcupine Tree fan - I wasn't - but because of the beautifully verbose informality of proceedings. And yes, it's a real shame it wasn't recorded.

The recording absolutely affected the atmosphere, and in a couple of ways: 1) the venue was comparatively brightly lit (I remember RCMH being the same way for the recording of Score), 2) Steven spent two minutes after the first song or two telling us how he was barely going to speak for the rest of the evening so he could cram all the songs in (he referred to the strict 11 pm curfew at the RAH although he finished at 2302 on Wednesday and 2305 on Thursday).

I agree with an earlier comment that Routine absolutely should have been committed to film. Could have dropped Home Invasion and Regret #9 for that without really losing anything from the show (plenty of instrumental songs/passages already included). I suspect Harmony Korine was originally going to be played but following the resounding success of Song of Unborn on the first two nights, Steven said he wanted to include it in the filming.

He did say during the show that other songs will be included on the blu-ray, and someone in the Facebook group said several songs had been filmed the afternoon of the show so we'll see.

Don't get me wrong: it was a great show, especially Permanating (dancers were back following a break for the middle night), Song of Unborn and Song of I (I am in love with the projection!). And the instrumental breaks in both Ancestral and Detonation were again worth the price of admission alone. It's just that my personal preference would have been for the informality of the middle show to have been captured.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3391 on: March 31, 2018, 12:04:01 AM »
I am happy that he filmed the show he did as it is very close to the one I saw.
Would have loved a double feature with the second night also included.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3392 on: March 31, 2018, 12:16:35 AM »
He did say during the show that other songs will be included on the blu-ray, and someone in the Facebook group said several songs had been filmed the afternoon of the show so we'll see.
That's good to hear :tup It's a pity they didn't play Routine with Ninet during the main show, but as Kev said, SW probably wanted the recording to be a representation of a standard show on this tour.

BTW, Steven joined Richard at the end of his opening set to play Buying New Soul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es0t-gN8XG4 Great to see them together again :)

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3393 on: March 31, 2018, 04:27:48 AM »
Let's put it this way.   If I had to choose between the show that got filmed, and the show on the 28th.....I would choose the latter every single time....and maybe even paid extra.

Same here. The set that got filmed isn't bad or anything, but the one on the 28th was awesome

Offline DTA

« Reply #3394 on: March 31, 2018, 07:32:56 AM »
That's good to hear :tup It's a pity they didn't play Routine with Ninet during the main show, but as Kev said, SW probably wanted the recording to be a representation of a standard show on this tour.

BTW, Steven joined Richard at the end of his opening set to play Buying New Soul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es0t-gN8XG4 Great to see them together again :)

Hmmm...I always thought that the friction that occurred near the end of PT between members was with Richard and Steven. Good to see that there's no hard feelings anymore. Richard's playing was probably my favorite part of PT so maybe there's a chance they'll work together again on something.

Also, Buying New Soul is without a doubt one of the greatest songs PT (or SW) has ever written btw. Glad to see it's still on his radar.