Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370822 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3325 on: March 10, 2018, 08:58:04 AM »
As usual, great interview.  His approach to and outlook on music is so awesome. :coolio :hat

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3326 on: March 10, 2018, 09:00:51 AM »
Also, don't know if it was posted here but last year he did an interview and part of it was about why PT ended. Some good reasons here.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/steven_wilson_why_i_ended_porcupine_tree.html

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3327 on: March 16, 2018, 06:32:14 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/steven_wilson_the_chances_of_porcupine_tree_reunion_are_zero.html

Not even gonna ressurect the PT thread for this, but here's just one more "last nail".  :lol

I'm not too broken up about it at this point, as it's been accepted and I love Wilson's music no matter what (for the most part, though it wanes every now and again with the overly melancholic shit). But pour one out for the PT homies, cause it's truly (this time TRULY truly) done and done. Even though it's been done and done. I'd love to say maybe now people will stop theorizing about it but...nope. It'll still happen.  :police:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3328 on: March 16, 2018, 08:09:04 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/steven_wilson_the_chances_of_porcupine_tree_reunion_are_zero.html

Not even gonna ressurect the PT thread for this, but here's just one more "last nail".  :lol

I'm not too broken up about it at this point, as it's been accepted and I love Wilson's music no matter what (for the most part, though it wanes every now and again with the overly melancholic shit). But pour one out for the PT homies, cause it's truly (this time TRULY truly) done and done. Even though it's been done and done. I'd love to say maybe now people will stop theorizing about it but...nope. It'll still happen.  :police:

I guess Peter Gabriel joining Genesis or Jon Anderson joining Yes are now more likely than a Porcupine Tree Reunion...  :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3329 on: March 16, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
How many 'last nails' in the coffin do people need before they realise that this is simply not happening?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3330 on: March 16, 2018, 11:06:14 AM »
How many 'last nails' in the coffin do people need before they realise that this is simply not happening?

There is still hope as long as there is still wood left in the coffin...   ;)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3331 on: March 16, 2018, 11:45:21 AM »
Steven's local show is on my radar, but it is sold out. Tickets on the secondary market now over 100 bucks. Just not worth it to me. If I can score a ticket a few days prior at half that, I'll go, if not, boooooo.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3332 on: March 16, 2018, 12:09:27 PM »

Oh I have absolutely no doubt that some of the more cult-ish rabid fans will pine for it and somehow divert his answer. He may not get as many questions during interviews and such after such a definitive answer (and to be fair, while he's made it pretty clear in the past, he hasn't been so resolute and downright assured as he was in this answer in the way that he answered).

But yeah it'll never be truly finished.  :millahhhh

RIP DTP.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3333 on: March 16, 2018, 12:49:26 PM »
re: PT and "last nails in the coffin."

>>>>Is that pretty much Steven's answer to the question of PT reuniting? The "no, because I look forward, not backward" line? Or has he ever given another reason.

Because as much as I respect that from an artistic point of view, it seems awfully weird to shut down a band that had become big and was getting bigger, just because...no reason.

My guess is, Steven realized that he could probably play the same places as PT on his own (after a few albums, which he has done), and instead of having to be in a band situation, he could just call all the shots and not worry about anyone else. I don't know what PT's business affairs looked like, but I always assumed it was a "band" in name only. I figured Steven was the sole owner of the band and all its stuff, and the other guys were just hired hands.

And if that was indeed the case, then it made little sense to me to fold up that band and go "solo," if PT was his baby anyway. I do know he let the other guys swing the direction of PT creatively, and maybe he hated that. But ya know, I just can't shake the feeling there is something more behind the decision to shut down PT...other than "hey, I look forward, not backward."

While I can understand it to a degree, I can't help but think it really hurt the careers of the other guys in PT.

Anyone who has followed SW and PT intently over the years have any insight? I just got the official PT biography written by Rich Wilson, but I haven't opened it yet (this weekend).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3334 on: March 16, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »
I read in a separate interview something to the effect of that he knew some of the guys wouldn't be interested in some of the directions he wanted to take his music, I guess from prior conversations, and he didn't want anybody to be in a place where they were out on stage every night playing material they resented or didn't like. So he decided to just pull the plug and do something where he had 100% control of the creative direction.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3335 on: March 16, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »
I wouldn't call this the "last nail in the coffin", because SW seems to change his mind about PT all the time - first he's saying it's dead and buried, then half a year later he'll state that he's not ruling out a reunion. I think he's just tired of answering PT questions when his solo career is flourishing and more successful than ever.

In Rich Wilson's book it was mentioned that according to some insiders the guys had a fight right before going on stage at the Royal Albert Hall in 2010, and some of them haven't spoken to each other since that last show. The break wasn't caused by this though, but it was rather a consequence of the Incident tour being too long and exhausting everybody, and Tim Bowness, John Wesley and the former Roadrunner boss all believe that the band will get back together at some point. However, there's also a lot of stuff in the book that makes it clear that SW is a solo artist at heart - he's described as a person who wants to avoid conflicts as much as possible, and it's said that a lot of the songs where another band member had a cowriting credit were basically born when they gave SW a musical idea, and he went and wrote a song around it, rather than sitting down to jam and collaborate.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3336 on: March 16, 2018, 07:55:49 PM »
The Raven That Refused to Sing is the best song Steven Wilson has ever written and one of the best songs anyone has ever written. That is all.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3337 on: March 16, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »
Not surprised about the PT news, still bummed it won't happen because there was something special there that IMO hasn't been captured in any of his other projects

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3338 on: March 17, 2018, 01:18:19 PM »
I suppose, as long as SW is alive, there's always the chance a reunion/reformation of PT could happen. And it doesn't necessarily have to involve Edwin, Harrison/Maitland and/or Barbieri. Although it would seem like nothing more than a cashgrab/appeasement measure now. I feel like PT got as far as it was ever going to go, maybe even one album too far with The Incident, as much as I enjoy that album.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3339 on: March 17, 2018, 01:45:22 PM »
I hope whoever booked Steven to play the Belfast students' union on St Patrick's Day got a stern talking to. One of the most WTF bookings I've ever heard of; that music being played to a bunch of hammered students? Strange

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3340 on: March 17, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »
Even though their histories and band dynamics were very different, just like Peter Gabriel was often asked about Genesis for decades, Steven Wilson will probably always get asked about Porcupine Tree.  Amazing how some interviewers can't help but get stuck in the past.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3341 on: March 18, 2018, 05:26:26 AM »
The "i never go backwards i go forward" statement feels strange considering SW has gone back to Blackfield and No-Man and done albums/live shows after kinda dropping out to focus more on PT/Solo stuff.

For a while he used the "I couldn't have made the music I make now with PT" argument, which was fine for Grace/Raven but then he kinda went back for a sound that was closer to PT anyways, so it feels clear that something went sour between him and some of the other guys. Whether SW is hard to work with or he just doesn't have interest in keeping the same people around for too long (cause then he gets trapped) is another question.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3342 on: March 18, 2018, 05:46:56 AM »
By backwards I think he feels that PT didn't give him the variety or choice to change what style of music he wants to make at that time. 

At least, that's what he thinks.  Here he can work with whoever he wants to work with using their strengths in a certain style of music "he" wants to make.  He's not limited by a musician that can branch out into different styles.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3343 on: March 18, 2018, 06:26:51 AM »
I honestly thought he just wanted to call all the shots like his side projects whereas PT seemed more like a band than anything else he has done.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3344 on: March 26, 2018, 03:42:15 PM »
Per Wilson's Facebook:

Tomorrow myself and the band play the first of 3 nights at what is probably my favourite venue in the world, The Royal Albert Hall in London. I know many of you are coming along to one or more nights, and in some cases travelling in from abroad, so I welcome everyone and hope you will enjoy the experience as much as I plan to! It's nearly always magical at the Royal Albert Hall.

Although all nights will be centred around the current To the Bone show, each will also have exclusive content. The first night (Tuesday) will be essentially a presentation of the show we've been doing across Europe for the last 8 weeks or so, but will include a live premiere of a song with a brand new beautiful animated video by Jess Cope, and one or two other surprises. The second night will delve more into my back catalogue, including a performance of most of Hand. Cannot. Erase, and an opening "unplugged" set where I'll be playing a few older songs either in solo or duo (with Adam on piano) format.

The final night is in many ways the most exciting for me, because the big news is that we are filming it for a blu-ray/DVD release. As I've constantly wanted to raise the bar in terms of the production levels in the show itself, so it is with the way we are going to film this show, I want to create something that captures as much of the spectacle and immersive aspects of the show as possible. We also have my former band-mate from the Porcupine Tree days Richard Barbieri doing an opening set on this evening, and it would seem rude to not get together to do at least one old PT song! We’ve just released the last few production seat tickets and as we’re filming it would be great to have a completely full house, so if you haven’t got a ticket for this show, please come along, make some noise, and be in my video!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3345 on: March 26, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
Fuck yeah :2metal:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3346 on: March 26, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
And About To crash is there for the show.  Lucky girl.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3347 on: March 26, 2018, 04:08:47 PM »
Would of preferred for Wilson to have filmed an HCE show than a To The Bone show. Maybe he will play both albums completely, which I highly doubt.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3348 on: March 26, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »
lmao awesome!

"Fuck that shit, I'm not doing PT again!"

"YO RICHARD!" :lol :corn

RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3349 on: March 26, 2018, 06:21:55 PM »
Awesome news!

Since there hasn't been a full concert release since the GfD tour, hopefully the 3rd night has a lot from the last three albums, not just To the Bone.  They all need representation!  :coolio

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3350 on: March 26, 2018, 10:53:18 PM »
A DVD/Bluray gig with Richard making an appearance? I'm down with that :2metal: I hope the show will be a combination of the TTB and HCE sets.
lmao awesome!

"Fuck that shit, I'm not doing PT again!"

"YO RICHARD!" :lol :corn
Don't forget:

"A concert film? Meh."

"Royal Albert Hall, let's film this shit!"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3351 on: March 27, 2018, 12:12:23 AM »
Great news about the filming..... need this tour on BR

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3352 on: March 27, 2018, 12:35:38 AM »
I have two spare tickets for Thursday night, if anyone's interested. It's the first two seats in a loggia box. (Partner and I purchased at the same time due to initial lack of availability regarding the first two nights.)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3353 on: March 27, 2018, 04:46:30 AM »
This whole recalling previous statements thing is absolute rubbish! SW has just as much right to change his mind on things as any of us have. It should never be a case of once you say something you are committed to it for life and can never ever do anything even remotely against that. Give the guy a break, for crying out loud!

I'm sure these gigs will be truly memorable occasions for all involved. Playing the Albert Hall is a pinnacle in one's career. I hope anyone here attending has the most fantastic evening(s), with memories to last a lifetime.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3354 on: March 27, 2018, 04:49:59 AM »
This whole recalling previous statements thing is absolute rubbish! SW has just as much right to change his mind on things as any of us have. It should never be a case of once you say something you are committed to it for life and can never ever do anything even remotely against that. Give the guy a break, for crying out loud!

Bang on.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3355 on: March 27, 2018, 06:37:50 AM »
Exciting news about the recording for a future BD/DVD release! I hope we get a couple songs from each of his albums that haven't been recorded on video yet, with a good focus on his last two. It would be nice if he recorded all 3 nights, but would be expensive I'm sure.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3356 on: March 27, 2018, 06:49:45 AM »
Excellent news. Can't wait for the release. Can't make it to any of the US shows this tour so a Blu-ray release is most welcome.

Also as an aside I picked up PT arriving somewhere on Blu-ray. They just had a release where it comes with 2 CD and photobook. There's apparently no remaster of the sound which is fine by me. The original mix was amazing. So this is an upgrade to the video and a beefier version of the audio. Should be a fun listen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3357 on: March 27, 2018, 07:25:56 AM »
I'm very happy with this show release, since probably it won't be possible to see the São Paulo show, and even happier that Steven Wilson can change his mind about some things (maybe about Porcupine Tree in the future?)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3358 on: March 27, 2018, 07:36:25 AM »
I enjoy SW's solo material more and more with each album he puts out so I'm very excited for this Blu-ray.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3359 on: March 27, 2018, 07:51:24 AM »
Excellent news. Can't wait for the release. Can't make it to any of the US shows this tour so a Blu-ray release is most welcome.

Also as an aside I picked up PT arriving somewhere on Blu-ray. They just had a release where it comes with 2 CD and photobook. There's apparently no remaster of the sound which is fine by me. The original mix was amazing. So this is an upgrade to the video and a beefier version of the audio. Should be a fun listen.

I thought it was remastered. That's what the Burning Shed website says. I did pick it up as well.

Also, BS just reprinted and released the HCE and Grace for Drowning Blu rays again.