Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370525 times)

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3290 on: February 21, 2018, 10:14:24 AM »
Spoiler ahead....

I saw him yesterday in Hamburg, at the Mehr Theater. The concert was sold out and today is another concert here, quite an archievement - I bet that must be about 8000 people alone here in Hamburg.

The concert was absolutely fantastic. He played about 2.40 hrs PLUS intermisson. When I saw Roger Waters on his "The Wall Tour", I was amazed about the surround sound in a concert setting. Yesterday was my second concert with surround sound, and it blew my mind. The sound was absolutely amazing from the first second. I saw DT at the same place... DT really should hire Steven's soundguy!

When I first listened to the new record, it really didn't click with me. A couple of good tracks, Pariah for instance is one of the best things he has ever done in my opinion. But really some mediocre stuff as well, well at least for me. However, in the live setting some song really began to shine. Refugee would be the best example. The drummer really killed that one...

Here are a couple of tracks I recorded (Harmony Korine, The raven..., Heartattack in a layby, Pariah). If you have the chance to see this tour - go out and see one of the leading artists in the Prog scene right now. And a fun guy too... His speech before Permanating and how this one splits his fanscene was really funny.

https://youtu.be/7H8PecKAcCs
https://youtu.be/VXGnvw-IiIg
https://youtu.be/8_viFBSj-pw
https://youtu.be/KMHQgMcDi5w

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3291 on: February 21, 2018, 10:54:59 AM »
seeing him in Amsterdam in about 2 weeks! :)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3292 on: February 22, 2018, 04:35:40 AM »
Seeing him in Stockholm on monday.... can't wait

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #3293 on: February 22, 2018, 08:15:44 AM »
Spoiler ahead....

I saw him yesterday in Hamburg, at the Mehr Theater. The concert was sold out and today is another concert here, quite an archievement - I bet that must be about 8000 people alone here in Hamburg.

The concert was absolutely fantastic. He played about 2.40 hrs PLUS intermisson. When I saw Roger Waters on his "The Wall Tour", I was amazed about the surround sound in a concert setting. Yesterday was my second concert with surround sound, and it blew my mind. The sound was absolutely amazing from the first second. I saw DT at the same place... DT really should hire Steven's soundguy!

When I first listened to the new record, it really didn't click with me. A couple of good tracks, Pariah for instance is one of the best things he has ever done in my opinion. But really some mediocre stuff as well, well at least for me. However, in the live setting some song really began to shine. Refugee would be the best example. The drummer really killed that one...

Here are a couple of tracks I recorded (Harmony Korine, The raven..., Heartattack in a layby, Pariah). If you have the chance to see this tour - go out and see one of the leading artists in the Prog scene right now. And a fun guy too... His speech before Permanating and how this one splits his fanscene was really funny.

https://youtu.be/7H8PecKAcCs
https://youtu.be/VXGnvw-IiIg
https://youtu.be/8_viFBSj-pw
https://youtu.be/KMHQgMcDi5w

Thanks for this great review. I am seeing him in April. How did "Nowhere Now" go over as an opening song? I am disappointed  To The Bone got scratched from the setlist.

Online BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3294 on: February 22, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
Last night had a different set though, with To The Bone as an opener  :coolio

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #3295 on: February 22, 2018, 12:28:50 PM »
Wow, that's quite a different setlist than he had been doing. I anticipate it will keep evolving.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3296 on: February 22, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »
Quite the setlist that is...I'd like to hear the cover.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3297 on: February 22, 2018, 02:33:35 PM »
Wow, that's quite a different setlist than he had been doing. I anticipate it will keep evolving.
It's only different because it was the second night at the same venue - I suspect the standard set will be played in most cities.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3298 on: February 22, 2018, 10:45:43 PM »
Damn, that's a way better set imo.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3299 on: February 22, 2018, 11:26:42 PM »
Wow! That is one fabulous second set! :o

Makes me even more excited for the three nights at the Royal Albert Hall :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3300 on: February 23, 2018, 06:23:23 AM »
I would have rather seen How Is Your Life Today than Stevens sloppy Even Less :D (Only weak spot of the show)

But apart from that, I liked the setlist I saw in Vienna better. Arriving Somewhere was awesome.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3301 on: February 23, 2018, 12:14:26 PM »
Today I suddenly remembered that we're approaching the 5th anniversary of The Raven That Refused to Sing being released, and it turns out that 25 February (this coming Sunday) is the day. Just a heads-up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3302 on: February 23, 2018, 08:02:47 PM »
Time really does fly.  Hard to believe it has been five years already. :eek :eek

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3303 on: February 24, 2018, 06:18:31 AM »
It's crazy when you realize albums you love were released 5, 10, 15+ years ago and you remember them coming out like it was yesterday.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3304 on: February 25, 2018, 04:36:36 AM »
Happy 5th Anniversary to The Raven That Refused to Sing!

I still remember hearing the album for the first time. Drive Home just floored me. Still probably my favourite SW song.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3305 on: February 25, 2018, 06:03:19 AM »
Drive home top 3, if not favorite SW song. Guthrie really shines in that song and brings it to a new level.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3306 on: February 25, 2018, 07:17:13 AM »
Last night in Helsinki rocked :metal Spoilers ahead...

Steven fucked up the first verse of Even Less... twice :lol First the chords sounded a bit sloppy and he started again, and then he started singing the lyrics of the second verse after the first line before realizing his mistake and cutting it off. He started again when someone shouted the correct line and the lyrics came back into his head. Afterwards Steven admitted that he always gives the guys in the band a hard time if they screw up, but now he deserved their scorn for forgetting his own song. :D

As for the rest of the show, the setlist was awesome (Arriving = awesomesauce) and had a great pacing, with the exception of starting with Nowhere Now, which didn't strike me as an opener at all. Craig's playing really amazed me - what a beast of a drummer! :hefdaddy I'd seen him with SW once before, but he's more at home in the band now. Hopefully next time Ninet will join the Euro tour, would love to hear her vocals live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3307 on: February 25, 2018, 08:09:20 AM »
They probably don't want to juggle around what was probably a well crafted set list around too much after dropping To the Bone from most shows (I think it has been played once or twice since being dropped after the first two shows), but People Who Eat Darkness seems like a natural opener.  Hit fans with that riff to start to the show, and then, bam, when the second verse kicks in and the song really gets going, you are off to the races. :coolio

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3308 on: February 25, 2018, 01:58:45 PM »
I saw that he did Routine during one of the shows. Wish he still would have done Heart Attack in a Layby, that would have been quite the sad set  :lol

I love those two tracks
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #3309 on: February 26, 2018, 10:09:36 AM »
They probably don't want to juggle around what was probably a well crafted set list around too much after dropping To the Bone from most shows (I think it has been played once or twice since being dropped after the first two shows), but People Who Eat Darkness seems like a natural opener.  Hit fans with that riff to start to the show, and then, bam, when the second verse kicks in and the song really gets going, you are off to the races. :coolio

I agree, that would be a great opener, better than (IMO) Nowhere Now.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3310 on: March 06, 2018, 06:55:26 PM »
bump.

special Record Store Day item

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10212

How the Big Space

12" featuring an unreleased exclusive b-side "How Big The Space" plus an instrumental of the same and a new version of "People Who Eat Darkness" from Steven's latest studio album "To the Bone", this new version with Ninet Tayb's vocals up in the mix. On dark blue vinyl.

A1: How Big The Space? A2: How Big The Space? (Instrumental)
B2: People Who Eat Darkness (featuring Ninet Tayeb)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3311 on: March 07, 2018, 03:39:24 AM »
I'm sure I will get that. But I would rather have the 3 To The Bone bonus tracks on vinyl...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3312 on: March 07, 2018, 04:42:48 PM »
just got back from the concert in amsterdam. Fucking brilliant!
Steven had some nice banter in between songs here and there, production was a big step up from the Hand cannot erase tour. Really well done.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3313 on: March 08, 2018, 11:55:29 AM »
Dilemma, should I go see Steven on the 22nd?

This is probably pointless as most of you are probably going to say "Go!". He's playing about an hour and a half drive away from me and I'm not working. I'm a fairly new fan and I'm not obsessed with him or anything. I really enjoy his latest and have listened to all but one of his solo albums. I do enjoy his latest most (Which is good if he's playing a lot off it on this tour. I'll check setlist.fm).

I know he's playing PT songs as well but I'm only a casual fan of theirs, also. Normally I'd just go but the ticket prices are a lot steeper than most shows I go to. I know he's good live and that's making me tempted to go to a show that I normally wouldn't pay this price for, unless I loved the band.

So yea, I'm going to try and get as cheap a ticket as I can...

Discuss

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3314 on: March 08, 2018, 12:51:05 PM »
I haven't LOVED the last few of his albums as much as previous ones but I would say go see him. He puts up a great show and the visual element of his show makes it a cut above most shows you'll see. It's one of those cases where you gotta see him once, and then you'll most likely continue to see him every time he plays near you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3315 on: March 08, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »
Go!

Saw him yesterday in a sold out ex-Heineken Music Hall. Best live sound I have ever heard. The setlist was awesome and Steven and his band put on a great show. If you’re only a casual fan, I bet it would be a great introduction to his music. For me it was definitely worth the money and the evening!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3316 on: March 08, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
Zantera and Elite pretty much summed up my Steven Wilson experiences.

Not a big fan of the last album but I'm looking forward to the Phoenix show later in the US leg of the tour. Wilson and crew do not disappoint at all. Great visuals, great musicianship, great music. You see him live once, and you pretty much keep going back to his shows.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3317 on: March 08, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »
yeah i've maybe listened to the new albums 3 times or so on youtube in total, but live it's a whole other experience with the video and quadrophonic sound.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3318 on: March 08, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »
Tickets are £30 on stubhub. I might just go on my own as none of my friends really have a clue who Steven Wilson is and my girlfriend automatically hates any music I like, before even giving it a chance  :yeahright

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3319 on: March 08, 2018, 10:43:01 PM »
Tickets are £30 on stubhub. I might just go on my own as none of my friends really have a clue who Steven Wilson is and my girlfriend automatically hates any music I like, before even giving it a chance  :yeahright

Which venue are you considering? Of the upcoming UK tour, we've seen Steven Wilson at the Bridgewater Hall and the Royal Albert Hall previously. Both venues were fantastic for his music. I particularly love being able to sit down and listen, just... listen... and take it all in. If you're looking for a show where you can bob around and end up wearing Tuborg, this won't be it (not saying you are, just making the distinction!).
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3320 on: March 09, 2018, 12:44:00 AM »

Which venue are you considering? Of the upcoming UK tour, we've seen Steven Wilson at the Bridgewater Hall and the Royal Albert Hall previously. Both venues were fantastic for his music. I particularly love being able to sit down and listen, just... listen... and take it all in. If you're looking for a show where you can bob around and end up wearing Tuborg, this won't be it (not saying you are, just making the distinction!).

It's the Birmingham show I'm looking at. I'm fully aware it's a seated show but thanks. I do normally like to be in the crowd at most gigs but this is the sort of gig when I don't mind just sitting down and appreciating the music. I'm really in two minds but I do want to go. I think I'll make a Spotify playlist of the setlist he is playing at the moment and get to know the songs I don't know so well, then maybe it'll sway me.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3321 on: March 09, 2018, 01:53:31 AM »
don't spoil the setlist for yourself :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3322 on: March 10, 2018, 08:19:07 AM »
I'd just get more familiar with the In Absentia and Deadwing albums before the gig since he'll play some songs from those :P

Also, Steven is back to destroying iPods  :metal
https://youtu.be/MYVRHbu7mwo?t=15m18s
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:51:30 AM by Sacul »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3323 on: March 10, 2018, 08:33:23 AM »
what the hell

Also, that’s a major spoiler in your post!
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3324 on: March 10, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
I mean, he's been posting about it for a while but fair, fixed :P