Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 369457 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3255 on: February 08, 2018, 02:01:11 PM »
I’ve been listening to Anesthetize a lot recently and I gotta say, I think it would be really cool to see him do The Pills In Me. I think it’s a great section and should be dusted off on one of these tours. I think the middle part is one of my favorite PT moments, it’s so moody.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3256 on: February 08, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »
Next tour setlist:

Drive Home
Pariah
Heartattack in a Layby
Collapse the Light into Earth
Refuge
Routine
Feel So Low
Stop Swimming
Happy Returns
The Raven

Free tissues at the door :P

Sign. Me. Up.

You and me both.  That would be an amazing set list.

I’ve been listening to Anesthetize a lot recently and I gotta say, I think it would be really cool to see him do The Pills In Me. I think it’s a great section and should be dusted off on one of these tours. I think the middle part is one of my favorite PT moments, it’s so moody.

Hasn't he done that section on one of his solo tours? I honestly cannot remember.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3257 on: February 08, 2018, 05:37:01 PM »
Not that I can remember, although I could very well be mistaken

He did do the mashup of the first half of Russia on Ice leading into The Pills I'm taking on The Incident Tour in 2009/2010
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:29:14 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3258 on: February 08, 2018, 08:25:29 PM »
I saw them on the co-headlining thing they did with Coheed and Cambria and they did the middle section of Anesthetize on its own, IIRC.  It rocked.

And while we can't ask for more since it did get featured heavily on two tours, it is a shame that Raider II will probably never be a song he plays live again with any regularity.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3259 on: February 08, 2018, 08:28:38 PM »
Lucky for me I saw it played live.  He'll have to bring it back at some point I'd guess.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3260 on: February 08, 2018, 08:29:47 PM »
I saw The Raven tour, which featured, among others, every song from that album and a lot of songs from Grace for Drowning, including Raider II.  And we were like 10 feet from the stage, dead center.  Easily one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3261 on: February 08, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »
Next tour setlist:

Drive Home
Pariah
Heartattack in a Layby
Collapse the Light into Earth
Refuge
Routine
Feel So Low
Stop Swimming
Happy Returns
The Raven

Free tissues at the door :P

Sign. Me. Up.

You had me at Stop Swimming.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3262 on: February 08, 2018, 08:36:29 PM »
I saw The Raven tour, which featured, among others, every song from that album and a lot of songs from Grace for Drowning, including Raider II.  And we were like 10 feet from the stage, dead center.  Easily one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Absolutely.   It was a top 5 show for me.  I just won't tell you what row I was in.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3263 on: February 08, 2018, 11:01:34 PM »
What are the chances that Michael Åkerfeldt will guest in Stockholm for some Storm Corrosion?

Zero. I’ve been to two different festivals in different years where both Opeth and Steven Wilson were playing (one time on the same day), hoping something like that would happen during one of the shows and it did not.

I would say it's better than zero since there's a precedent: 28/9/2015.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3264 on: February 09, 2018, 02:35:22 AM »
I have no idea what that means.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3265 on: February 09, 2018, 02:48:12 AM »
They played Drag Ropes twice.

Once in the date he listed, and again in 2016. At least that's what I found in a five minute quick scouring of the net. One song a total of two times. Precedent? Sure. Chances? Maybe not zero, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd absolutely love for something to happen though. It's still my favorite collaboration of all time and my favorite late-night twisted ambiance.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3266 on: February 09, 2018, 02:56:03 AM »
Drag Ropes was played a total of 25 times: https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/storm-corrosion-23d164a7.html?song=Drag+Ropes I was at one of those shows and it was awesome ;D I doubt he'll do it on this tour, though.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3267 on: February 09, 2018, 03:21:14 AM »
I will hold out hope until after the show...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3268 on: February 09, 2018, 06:14:25 AM »
Drag Ropes was played a total of 25 times: https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/storm-corrosion-23d164a7.html?song=Drag+Ropes I was at one of those shows and it was awesome ;D I doubt he'll do it on this tour, though.

I doubt he'll play it, too, never mind with Akerfeldt in tow which was the original question.

To those curious, the point about the specific date I mentioned is that it was performed with Akerfeldt, hence the ever-so-slightly greater than zero chance Akerfeldt will guest and they'll play it again ;)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3269 on: February 09, 2018, 07:02:20 AM »
Well Stockholm is on monday and London on tuesday, wednesday and thursday.
He will have guests in London. Maybe Åkerfelld.... and why not do a "rehersal" in Michaels hometown Stockholm the day before.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3270 on: February 09, 2018, 08:21:39 AM »
What's this thing with 'guests' in London?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3271 on: February 09, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »

I read somewhere that SW said there will be different guests and different setlist every night in London.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3272 on: February 09, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »

I doubt he'll play it, too, never mind with Akerfeldt in tow which was the original question.

To those curious, the point about the specific date I mentioned is that it was performed with Akerfeldt, hence the ever-so-slightly greater than zero chance Akerfeldt will guest and they'll play it again ;)

What the fuck, I just suck at looking shit up whether it's on the forum or the net.  :lol

A little more hopeful but yeah, I'm not going to go to a show and actually expect to see it; that's just inviting disappointment.

I mean, at least it's more than what we originally got, which was "this will never be played live". Though to be fair, I'm pretty sure Wilson was referring to the album in its entirety, or a tour based around the album. At the very least though, I would absolutely go bananas over another studio album in this vein. It's the perfect time too given that Akerfeldt seems to be in limbo in his own career (creatively, at least) and Wilson is still doing much of the same kind of music he did when Storm Corrosion initially released.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3273 on: February 09, 2018, 10:15:39 PM »
I am not sure I agree with that.  To the Bone doesn't sound that much like Storm Corrosion or Grace for Drowning (its SW solo album counterpart).

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3274 on: February 10, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »

I read somewhere that SW said there will be different guests and different setlist every night in London.

Ohhh, did he say that? I mean I figured he would be mixing it up to a certain point but was expecting a lot of the same stuff. I can't fucking wait regardless!!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3275 on: February 11, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3276 on: February 11, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »
Through Reddit, I find myself today on the Wikipedia page for "Brainfuck", an esoteric programming language. The Wikipedia page says at the top "Not to be confused with Brain Fuck Scheduler or Mindfuck", so of course I click on Mindfuck. The third entry on that page:

"Incredible Expanding Mindfuck, an experimental music group founded by Steven Wilson"

Steven is everywhere.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3277 on: February 11, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »
 :lol :lol :tup :tup

BTW, are the three To the Bone bonus tracks available anywhere? A buddy of mine got the Blu-ray with the 5.1 finally and was shocked that they weren't on there.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3278 on: February 11, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »
"Incredible Expanding Mindfuck, an experimental music group founded by Steven Wilson"

Fantastic band name.

:metal :natalieportman: :metal :natalieportman: :metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3279 on: February 11, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »

BTW, are the three To the Bone bonus tracks available anywhere? A buddy of mine got the Blu-ray with the 5.1 finally and was shocked that they weren't on there.

What 3 bonus tracks?
You mean the TTB demo's with the songs that didn't make the final cut?

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3280 on: February 12, 2018, 04:18:01 AM »

I think they were only on a bonus disc that came with the big special 'book' edition, but I could be wrong about that

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3281 on: February 12, 2018, 06:07:44 AM »
Yeah their is a bonus disc of demo's of which was only available in the long sold out ultra deluxe edition.
The three songs in question are;
Ask Me Nicely
A Door Marked Summer
Northern Cyclonic
The rest of the demo disc songs made it to the actual album.
There is also another song which was only issued on 7" vinyl as part of the above mentioned edition called, 'Antisocial' (instrumental)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3282 on: February 12, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »
We're into the penultimate round of The Wilson Cup group stage over at Polls and Survivors now. Still 10 places up for grabs in the knockout stage.

Voting is underway in Groups A & B.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3283 on: February 13, 2018, 06:06:45 PM »

What 3 bonus tracks?

Yes.

I think they were only on a bonus disc that came with the big special 'book' edition, but I could be wrong about that

Hmmm, that is disappointing.  I like all three songs a lot.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3284 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »

What 3 bonus tracks?

Yes.

I'm pretty sure they were on the deluxe book edition as well, as was the case with his previous two albums - HCE had some non-album tracks and demos (with slightly different arrangements) on its bonus disc, and Raven had one demo that didn't make the final album (an unused idea titled "Clock Song").

Of the five (yes, five, if you count "Ask Me Nicely (Intro)" as a separate track, even though it's just the first bit of "Ask Me Nicely" mixed differently) non-album tracks from TTB, I'd say "Antisocial" is one of my faves, mostly because it works so well as a prelude to "People Who Eat Darkness". I'm not sure where "Antisocial" was released though, as it wasn't included on the Deluxe Bonus Disc like the other four tracks.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3285 on: February 13, 2018, 08:27:19 PM »
People Who Eat Darkness remains one of my favorites.  That totally could have been on one of the 00's PT albums.

Having revisited the whole album recently, it is pretty great. Even if it not one of his best (which is a tough nut to crack), it is still very worthy. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3286 on: February 13, 2018, 10:07:56 PM »

What 3 bonus tracks?

Yes.

I'm pretty sure they were on the deluxe book edition as well, as was the case with his previous two albums - HCE had some non-album tracks and demos (with slightly different arrangements) on its bonus disc, and Raven had one demo that didn't make the final album (an unused idea titled "Clock Song").

Of the five (yes, five, if you count "Ask Me Nicely (Intro)" as a separate track, even though it's just the first bit of "Ask Me Nicely" mixed differently) non-album tracks from TTB, I'd say "Antisocial" is one of my faves, mostly because it works so well as a prelude to "People Who Eat Darkness". I'm not sure where "Antisocial" was released though, as it wasn't included on the Deluxe Bonus Disc like the other four tracks.

-Marc.

Obviously no one is reading my posts, re Antisocial, same page 3 posts above yours  ;D

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3287 on: February 19, 2018, 02:24:15 AM »
Quick plug:

The knockout stage of The Wilson Cup has begun over at Polls & Survivors, with the Round of 16.

Go and vote here!

Plug over.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3288 on: February 19, 2018, 03:00:12 AM »
I was in Vienna for the Steven concert. My friend and I stood outside in the snow storm for more than three hours but we were the first ones inside. It was totally worth it.
Steven was in very good mood, Nick is awesome as always (also what a good looking dude), the new guitarist Alex is no Guthrie but he is very good, he has great stage presence and is having a blast! I was, however, completely blown away by Craig Blundell, man what a MONSTER!!! I already saw him with the David Cross Band last year at the Loreley, where he was magnificent too, BUT DAMMMMNNNNN HE WAS AWESOME in Vienna!!
I don't want to spoil the Setlist for anyone who still wants to go, but let me tell you that it is good. VERY GOOD.
If you haven't planned already to see this show, you should do it!

Oh I forgot: I listened to Storm Corrosion yesterday, first time since 2012 and second time overall. I had listened to it when it came out and remembered it as extremely boring. But now I find it pretty awesome. What do you guys think?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3289 on: February 19, 2018, 04:14:18 AM »
Oh I forgot: I listened to Storm Corrosion yesterday, first time since 2012 and second time overall. I had listened to it when it came out and remembered it as extremely boring. But now I find it pretty awesome. What do you guys think?

Haunting. And truly unique. No other album like it. One of those albums you have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to.