Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371062 times)

Online DTA

Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3220 on: February 02, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »
Song #6 is a pretty big surprise. I didn't think SW rated that one that highly (even though it's excellent, it's very much a "lost" track and not one I expected him to play). Songs #13 and #17 should definitely get replaced by something else. They're good songs, but so overplayed by him at this point. Also, why is Harmony Korine appearing in every setlist? It seems to be the sole representation from Insurgentes each tour, and I can't figure out why. It's not like it was a hit or anything. I'll never understand why bands make the setlist choices they do...it's like they're scared to omit certain songs for whatever reason.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3221 on: February 02, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »
I have never been a big fan of Harmony Korine (good song, but not even one of the best from that record), but I have to admit that when I saw SW on The Raven tour, that song kicked ass.  The way it builds really gets the crowd going; I can see why he plays it at every show.

While I love his selection of PT songs, I was hoping he would have pulled out something rare from Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun.  Oh well.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3222 on: February 03, 2018, 03:34:50 AM »
Harmony Korine is a great song, but I think the title track from that album would work perfectly as a quiet part of the encore. There's something magical about it that would be ethereal in a live setting.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3223 on: February 05, 2018, 02:59:47 AM »
Interesting change at the top of the set for the last couple of nights.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3224 on: February 05, 2018, 08:32:14 AM »

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #3225 on: February 05, 2018, 08:35:04 AM »
Not too happy To The Bone has been dropped. It's my favorite of the album. I know that there will be changes before the tour hits the US but I would be disappointed if TTB was dropped at my show for Vermillioncore.

Online DTA

« Reply #3226 on: February 05, 2018, 05:57:35 PM »
I have never been a big fan of Harmony Korine (good song, but not even one of the best from that record), but I have to admit that when I saw SW on The Raven tour, that song kicked ass.  The way it builds really gets the crowd going; I can see why he plays it at every show.

While I love his selection of PT songs, I was hoping he would have pulled out something rare from Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun.  Oh well.

It's not the worst song ever, and I've enjoyed it live, but it only gets the crowd going because it's played often enough to elicit that kind of reaction. Remainder The Black Dog would get the same reaction if it was played as much. Not to go off on yet another setlist rant, but it bugs me so much that musicians lock themselves into playing certain songs throughout their entire career when they could constantly vary their song choices and have multiple energetic crowd songs to choose from. The man has basically given himself an entire second career with an ever-expanding catalog, yet he wastes valuable setlist space on songs people have seen him do a bunch of times already. And now a song from the new album that no one has heard live yet is already dropped from the setlist, yet HK survives. I hate everyone.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3227 on: February 05, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »
It makes me think that To the Bone either wasn't working well live or the crowd wasn't digging it.  If all you hear are crickets during your opener, I get changing it on the fly.  Just speculation of course.

Online DTA

« Reply #3228 on: February 06, 2018, 05:27:59 AM »
You’re probably right. Though I actually think the amount of songs he is doing from TTB is actually a bit high for the first time through. Considering he usually does more than one leg in each area, he may want to save some of the new album for the next time around.

Nowhere Now seems like an odd song to open with so I’m guessing he may switch up the order a bit in the next few shows.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3229 on: February 06, 2018, 05:33:06 AM »
I really think we can drop The Raven now, Steven...

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3230 on: February 06, 2018, 06:54:46 AM »

No, please don't.

Bring back To The Bone, drop Lazarus.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3231 on: February 06, 2018, 07:19:25 AM »
It's a good song, it's just been in the set for what feels like forever. Due a rest.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3232 on: February 06, 2018, 07:27:33 AM »
When I was at the Portland show for the HCE tour last year, he made the comment that he felt Raven was the greatest song he had ever written...so I doubt it’s going anywhere.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3233 on: February 06, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »
Shame if that's the case, because To the Bone works fantastically as the opener of the album.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3234 on: February 06, 2018, 11:46:36 AM »
Raven is his best song ever. Its so hauntingly beautiful and sad.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3235 on: February 06, 2018, 12:02:12 PM »
It was the perfect closer when I saw Steven live. He might as well stick with it for a while, I wouldn't mind.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3236 on: February 06, 2018, 12:37:47 PM »
He should never exclude Raven from any future sets. Beautiful everytime i hear it. I'd rather have Routine as well back in the set, same caliber qualitymusic  to me.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3237 on: February 06, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »
He should never exclude Raven from any future sets. Beautiful everytime i hear it. I'd rather have Routine as well back in the set, same caliber qualitymusic  to me.

Raven should be played in every live show ever. Not even just Steven Wilson.

EVERY CONCERT EVER PLAYED BY ANYONE.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3238 on: February 06, 2018, 02:22:34 PM »
It makes me think that To the Bone either wasn't working well live or the crowd wasn't digging it.  If all you hear are crickets during your opener, I get changing it on the fly.  Just speculation of course.
Craig confirmed this: https://mobile.twitter.com/craigblundell/status/960277240398393344?p=v

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #3239 on: February 06, 2018, 02:41:27 PM »
putting together a good show is such delicate alchemy.  I don't think we can fuly gauge, from out there in the stands, what really works or doesn't for the main artist standing there on  stage doing the thing.  Sure we have an experience, a point of view,  but it's not the same.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3240 on: February 06, 2018, 03:20:03 PM »

Yes, please.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #3241 on: February 06, 2018, 03:48:25 PM »
I'm in agreement with all who say that Raven should always be in the set, even JayOctavarium who said it should be played by everyone ever.  :lol

Not understanding how after 2 shows To The Bone is designated "not a live track". They rehearsed it and opened 2 shows with it and just drop it? Has anyone heard it from the first 2 shows? I like Nowhere Now but that is a kind of an underwhelming opening song for a concert. Maybe stick To The Bone a little more back in the set, not open with it. I would much rather hear TTB as opposed to Song Of I or Refuge, but that's me. Vermillioncore doesn't excite me either, still 2.5 months until my show in PA, maybe some more changes are coming?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3242 on: February 06, 2018, 05:38:37 PM »
Craig confirmed this: https://mobile.twitter.com/craigblundell/status/960277240398393344?p=v

I feel smart. :lol :lol

It's a good song, it's just been in the set for what feels like forever. Due a rest.

Or, more accurately, only three tours now. :lol :lol

When I was at the Portland show for the HCE tour last year, he made the comment that he felt Raven was the greatest song he had ever written...so I doubt it’s going anywhere.

Let's hope not.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3243 on: February 07, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »
I don't mind Raven live, but it's such a downer ending and would work better as the main set closer, while a more energetic (and less depressing lol) song at the end of the encore could send everybody home on a high note.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3244 on: February 07, 2018, 08:00:52 AM »
I don't mind Raven live, but it's such a downer ending and would work better as the main set closer, while a more energetic (and less depressing lol) song at the end of the encore could send everybody home on a high note.

Bro, do you even Steven Wilson?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3245 on: February 07, 2018, 08:05:11 AM »

LOL so true.  But I'm not sure I want to leave an SW show NOT having heard Lazarus.  Such a beautiful song.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3246 on: February 07, 2018, 09:26:21 AM »

Oh sorry, I forgot every SW song ever was a slow and brooding ballad ::)

Seriously, a rocker like Harmony Korine or something from PT would be better as the very last song IMO.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3247 on: February 07, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
If you aren't depressed when leaving a SW show, you are doing it wrong :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3248 on: February 07, 2018, 10:12:09 AM »

Oh sorry, I forgot every SW song ever was a slow and brooding ballad ::)

Seriously, a rocker like Harmony Korine or something from PT would be better as the very last song IMO.

What show are you going to? I'm going to write Steven Wilson and have him play Raven, then Routine, and then Raven again for good measure. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3249 on: February 07, 2018, 12:23:13 PM »
Why does it have to be a solo or PT number to close? Why not Bass Communion? :P

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3250 on: February 07, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »
What are the chances that Michael Åkerfeldt will guest in Stockholm for some Storm Corrosion?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3251 on: February 07, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »

What show are you going to? I'm going to write Steven Wilson and have him play Raven, then Routine, and then Raven again for good measure. :p

Don't forget to have him play Feel So Low as well!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3252 on: February 08, 2018, 11:27:10 AM »

Don't forget to have him play Feel So Low as well!
Next tour setlist:

Drive Home
Pariah
Heartattack in a Layby
Collapse the Light into Earth
Refuge
Routine
Feel So Low
Stop Swimming
Happy Returns
The Raven

Free tissues at the door :P

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3253 on: February 08, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
Next tour setlist:

Drive Home
Pariah
Heartattack in a Layby
Collapse the Light into Earth
Refuge
Routine
Feel So Low
Stop Swimming
Happy Returns
The Raven

Free tissues at the door :P

Sign. Me. Up.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3254 on: February 08, 2018, 01:00:30 PM »
What are the chances that Michael Åkerfeldt will guest in Stockholm for some Storm Corrosion?

Zero. I’ve been to two different festivals in different years where both Opeth and Steven Wilson were playing (one time on the same day), hoping something like that would happen during one of the shows and it did not.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey