Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370870 times)

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #3115 on: November 12, 2017, 09:50:30 AM »
Oh yeah, Alex Hutchinson... I do recall seeing that name.

The Get all you deserve BlueRay is amazing... such a great band and I love what Theo brings.

Haven't seen Steven live before but will in February, that's why I asked about the live band.

By the way... isn't it high time for a new live BlueRay? Get all you deserve was recorded in 2012 and there has not been one since, has there?
Well.... there are a couple of live tracks on the Drive home BR but not a full concert.

Anyone think he will release one of this tour?

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #3116 on: November 12, 2017, 10:51:17 AM »
if so i hope it's a royal albert hall recording, considering he's doing 3 nights there..

Online faizoff

« Reply #3117 on: November 12, 2017, 10:52:38 AM »

It's definitely time for a new BR release. He did release a mini Bluray performance with 4 songs on the Drive Home EP right after Raven came out which is why I'm guessing he's waited a while before releasing a new one.
The four tracks being:

3."The Holy Drinker" (live in Frankfurt)
4."Insurgentes" (live in Frankfurt)
5."The Watchmaker" (live in Frankfurt)
6."The Raven that Refused to Sing" (live in Frankfurt)

I saw his concert last year on the HCE tour and it was fantastic. The band is the same listed here apart from the guitarist being Dave Kilminster. Now with having Ninet along the tour and several nights being sold out, I'm positive there will be a video release from this tour.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3118 on: November 12, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
Fully agreed, I hope they make a new one. Too bad it wasn't from the previous tour, because it is one of the best shows I have ever seen. That said, at least there is some really great pro shot footage out there  ;D

For those who missed it, youtube playlists of two pro shot shows:

A large part of the HCE show streamed through Yahoo! Live Nation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEbfBiHYAGY&list=PLy3oj87cC2jBRYRySN7IjzxFN9G7-yqR7&index=1

And a partial broadcast of North Sea Jazz Festival:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqe2R77Encc&index=1&list=PL4_LCgyOEiK2yiEM9teVGxN07OukreF09

(Steven also uploaded a vid from the second show, but as you can see there are more clips out there).

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3119 on: November 12, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »

The Get all you deserve BlueRay is amazing... such a great band and I love what Theo brings.

Haven't seen Steven live before but will in February, that's why I asked about the live band.

By the way... isn't it high time for a new live BlueRay? Get all you deserve was recorded in 2012 and there has not been one since, has there?
Well.... there are a couple of live tracks on the Drive home BR but not a full concert.

No, SW has stated recently that You Tube has killed off live DVD/BR sales and he really isn't interested in doing another one.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3120 on: November 12, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »

No, SW has stated recently that You Tube has killed off live DVD/BR sales and he really isn't interested in doing another one.

Noooooooooooo...............
Get him on Kickstarter for that.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3121 on: November 12, 2017, 06:47:07 PM »

Really? That blows. I have every and any album that he's released on bluray, wasn't aware that youtube took away a lot from his sales to make him consider abandoning live video releases altogether. I gather his fanbase are more in tune with his album presentations that others, which I would think prefer to listen to his music mix in the most pristine way possible rather than on youtube of all places.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3122 on: November 12, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »
I think he's mostly not all that interested in a typical concert recording, he'd love to be able to make something like Sigur Rós did tho.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3123 on: November 13, 2017, 05:17:35 AM »
What did Sigur Ros do?

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #3124 on: November 13, 2017, 05:26:28 AM »
Basically, they did a free tour through Iceland where they played in many different places. Some concerts in small cities, some in the middle of the countryside, some in the highlands. The film is called "Heima" and is basically the main reason that made me really want to go to Iceland (which I finally did last summer). It's basically a concert film that is also a documentary about Icelandic culture. I think it's on youtube somewhere, so go check it out if you find yourself with 100 minutes of free time. Highly recommended, it's probably my favourite "concert" film by any band.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3125 on: November 13, 2017, 06:02:14 AM »
Sounds intriguing, that definitely would be a change of things. Anyone have a link to the article/video where Steven talks about youtube killing his video sales?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3126 on: November 13, 2017, 06:39:21 AM »
I think it was during one of his recent Facebook chats when quizzed over why there was never a video release of the 'Hand. Cannot. Erase.' tour. I personally don't recall him saying he'd never do another one, though.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3127 on: November 29, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
Heads up to the EU playstation 4 gamers, Last Day of June, the SW related game discussed earlier, is on sale for 10 euros the coming days (instead of 20). Has anyone checked it out yet? Due to Black Friday sales and a vinyl convention, I can't allow myself to buy more entertainment products at this point of time, but it is definitely on my radar.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #3128 on: November 30, 2017, 06:15:04 AM »
Has anyone checked it out yet?
I started playing the game with my girlfriend last week and I think we're about halway trough now. If you like games driven by a story and atmosphere instead of gameplay I'd definitely recommend it. The art style combined with Steven Wilson's emotional music really makes it something else.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Rob801

« Reply #3129 on: December 03, 2017, 10:27:40 PM »
So I’ve been waiting patiently to see if they would ad a show in Århus (Denmark) where I have seen Steven two times before but doesn’t look like that is going to happen so I was going to bite the bullet and get a ticket to the show in Copenhagen (where I absolutely hate driving for a show, but at least it is on a Saturday (and I really regret not buying the box set so am hoping there will be some tour stock available as well).

Went to SW’s site clicked the tickets n info link, got the app... and the damn thing is sold out :(.

So now I have decided to drive to Hamburg (actually not much different time wise from going to CPH.. minus the toll bridge or ferry charges)...

Anyway, to make a short story long, there are two shows at the Merh Theater and I was wondering if there would be an advantage set wise taking one over the other (no I can’t afford to do both... unfortunately)... And anyone been there before and can give me tips on tickets? Think there is seated and non seated, but I couldn’t see where I’d be sitting... so maybe it is unreserved seating(?).

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:00:04 AM by Rob801 »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3130 on: December 21, 2017, 01:28:03 AM »
Right, I have a bone to pick with some of you (no pun intended).

Some of you have claimed that part of The Same Asylum As Before is a ripoff of PT's Prodigal. I'm listening to Prodigal now and the part I thought might have been it sounds nothing like Asylum at all. Seriously, if you're gonna have a go, at least be accurate about it, for goodness' sake!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3131 on: December 21, 2017, 02:53:50 AM »
Speaking of PT, surprised nobody mentioned we're finally getting remasters of In Absentia and Deadwing  :metal.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3132 on: December 21, 2017, 07:19:34 AM »
Yea I saw that, I gotta pre-order the vinyls today.

The vinyl's don't have chloroform on them do they?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3133 on: December 21, 2017, 07:22:11 AM »
Speaking of PT, surprised nobody mentioned we're finally getting remasters of In Absentia and Deadwing  :metal.
I'm happy about this, but I don't think they really needed a remaster (given I feel they already sounded great, limiting and everything). But hey, any excuse to check these magnificent pieces of music again, right?  :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:08:42 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3134 on: December 21, 2017, 10:00:21 AM »
I'm happy about this, but I don't thing they really needed a remaster (given I feel they already sounded great, limiting and everything). But hey, any excuse to check these magnificent pieces of music again, right?  :D

IA sounds great but DW really suffers from the limiter, imo. The kick drums are crushed right out of the mix on a lot of songs, especially the title track, and I will never unhear the clipping distortion when the heavy guitars enter for the chorus of "Open Car." On the DVD-A, "Mother & Child Divided" in stereo is so squashed it's just a giant brick, including in the middle ambient part!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3135 on: December 21, 2017, 10:09:14 AM »
The vinyl's don't have chloroform on them do they?
Yeah, IA has the original CD tracklist, but seems Deadwing has Half-Light and So Called Friend, nice.

Speaking of PT, surprised nobody mentioned we're finally getting remasters of In Absentia and Deadwing  :metal .
I'm happy about this, but I don't thing they really needed a remaster (given I feel they already sounded great, limiting and everything). But hey, any excuse to check these magnificent pieces of music again, right?  :D

IA sounds great but DW really suffers from the limiter, imo. The kick drums are crushed right out of the mix on a lot of songs, especially the title track, and I will never unhear the clipping distortion when the heavy guitars enter for the chorus of "Open Car." On the DVD-A, "Mother & Child Divided" in stereo is so squashed it's just a giant brick, including in the middle ambient part!
Having recently listened to a vinyl rip of IA, I really can't go back to the original at all, and I agree about DW. Both albums are finally getting a proper, dynamic remaster. I'll just wait for the CDs sometime next year  :metal

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3136 on: December 21, 2017, 06:49:49 PM »
Funny this thread popped up, just listened to this album for the first time in a while today. I still love some elements, but To the Bone is definitely his least memorable for me, of the solo stuff. It just doesn't pack the same punch, but I always appreciate when he branches out and does different stuff. I do enjoy his poppy side.
I guess I wasn't active here when this came out so I missed the whole discussion. It's fresh in my mind so here are a few thoughts:

For me the shining moments are Refuge (gorgeous), Permanating (and the way this heartbreaking song leads into one soo upbeat- it's so SW), People Who Eat Darkness (so much fun, amazing energy), Song of I (so dark/haunting and sexy, gawd), and Detonation (total badassery and then groovy as hell).
The title track is very catchy and I enjoy it. Nowhere Now and Pariah have grown on me but I could still take or leave. Total cheesefest- same with Song of Unborn. Meh.
Same Asylum is pretty good, aside from the vocals feels kinda like a PT song, which isn't a bad thing but it's nothing special.
Blank Tapes is very pretty.

I have no beef with Ninet but I also have never been as into her as I know others are, and I am kinda over the obsession with her. Sophie Hunger, on the other hand, I would love to hear more of.

As some of you know I'll be traveling to London for the first time in March and going to all three RAH shows! Followed by the Denver one about a month later. Can't wait to see what he has in store for this tour. Also if anybody wants to meet up... :caffeine:

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3137 on: December 21, 2017, 07:06:25 PM »

Clipping distorsion? My, I don't recall that. It's been a while since I last listened to those two albums, so I guess I'll just wait for the new remasters.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3138 on: December 21, 2017, 08:34:54 PM »
While the mix in In Absentia is gorgeous, the master is very hot and compressed AF.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3139 on: December 21, 2017, 08:49:29 PM »
While the mix in In Absentia is gorgeous, the master is very hot and compressed AF.
Same for DW. I think most people don't notice it at first because both records have an amazing production, but the compression is just ridiculous, even Steven as been critical of those, and I'm glad he finally got the chance to give us a new version. His latest remasters have been brilliant  :hefdaddy

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3140 on: December 21, 2017, 09:16:14 PM »
Same for DW. I think most people don't notice it at first because both records have an amazing production, but the compression is just ridiculous, even Steven as been critical of those, and I'm glad he finally got the chance to give us a new version. His latest remasters have been brilliant  :hefdaddy

That's what I dont really like about the albums, mainly Deadwing. Open Car and The Start of Something Beautiful really have the compression in the chorus.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3141 on: December 21, 2017, 10:21:44 PM »

As some of you know I'll be traveling to London for the first time in March and going to all three RAH shows! Followed by the Denver one about a month later. Can't wait to see what he has in store for this tour. Also if anybody wants to meet up... :caffeine:

We're going to all three shows at the Royal Albert Hall, too. Given the amount of material the band have been asked to learn, I suspect it'll be three fairly varied setlists - which'll be nice!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3142 on: December 22, 2017, 10:32:33 AM »
I do hope we get some sort of live recording. HCE live was even better than the studio album.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3143 on: December 22, 2017, 05:24:42 PM »

We're going to all three shows at the Royal Albert Hall, too. Given the amount of material the band have been asked to learn, I suspect it'll be three fairly varied setlists - which'll be nice!

Yes, for sure. I was glad when I started seeing his announcements about that. I was on the fence about getting tickets for all three because I'm sure there will still be a lot of overlap (and because I will be in a new city for the first time that I'm excited about exploring), but I enjoy the album enough to hear it three nights in a row  :D

Offline Rob801

« Reply #3144 on: December 23, 2017, 10:19:05 AM »
Getting tickets to Hamburg was proving more frustrating than I thought it was worth (so far) so I got my Christmas present to my self and bought the deluxe box on EBay and just finished watching the documentary and really enjoyed it (“These are the sort of make something happen type pedals”  :laugh:)...
And am now listening to the 5.1 mix... LOUD and am also enjopying the hell out of that. I liked the album pretty much from the start but it has grown on me even more.. even/especially some of the more popy songs.
I also really hope he does another live bd. I love the emersiveness of his live recordings and don’t want/hope not to be relegated to clips on youtube.
I really hope I get to see him Live again on this tour but the cost of mailing a ticket from Germany to Denmark is 34€ From Ticketmaster (For a frigging piece of paper)... half the price of the ticket (no will call or E-ticket available). And the other “official” place couldn’t show me my seat location and I refuse to buy reserved seats blind  :-\

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3145 on: December 23, 2017, 09:30:47 PM »
That's some bullshit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3146 on: December 23, 2017, 09:42:18 PM »
Funny this thread popped up, just listened to this album for the first time in a while today. I still love some elements, but To the Bone is definitely his least memorable for me, of the solo stuff. It just doesn't pack the same punch, but I always appreciate when he branches out and does different stuff. I do enjoy his poppy side.

This mostly sums it up for me as well.  I like all of it, and it has some major keepers like Refuge, Detonation and Song of Unborn, but the album as a whole is merely "very good," which would be fine for most artists, but for us spoiled Steven Wilson :P, we are used to be utterly destroyed by the greatness of his albums, and this one just doesn't quite reach that level  And that is okay. :tup :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3147 on: December 23, 2017, 09:46:22 PM »
I wish he trusted his musicians more than him playing multiple instruments. That was the magic for The Raven That Refused To Sing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3148 on: December 23, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »
True, but he said he was going for a more simple approach on this album from a playing standpoint, so it was never going to be an album with playing as "flashy" as his prior two solo records.

I will say this: the drumming on this album is really lacking. Every time I listen to Nowhere Now, the drums irk me.  Maitland, Harrison and Minnemann could all play, but they could always make the simple stuff still sound great.  There are too many moments on this album where the drums lack "oomph," most notably in Nowhere Now.  The drumming in that song fails to drive the song as much as it should.

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #3149 on: December 24, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »
though it's exactly the way Steven wanted it. ;)