Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371857 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #2835 on: August 03, 2017, 11:18:04 AM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2836 on: August 03, 2017, 11:27:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm fairly sure this is the song I liked the most from all the released ones I've heard. This is great.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2837 on: August 03, 2017, 11:40:43 AM »
Love the harmonica, especially along with the piano near the end of the song.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #2838 on: August 03, 2017, 11:48:49 AM »
WOW  :hefdaddy

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2839 on: August 03, 2017, 09:41:47 PM »
That may be my favorite track so far.  That outro with the piano and harmonica is absolutely awesome!

Since I have no clue how to listen to this before release without doing a stupid survey or whatever, these will tide me over for 15 days
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2840 on: August 05, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »
Definitely my favorite so far; fucking love Refuge. And DAT HARMONICA DOE.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2841 on: August 10, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »
So I just listened to the leak and it's much like all SW solo release; a few really great songs, the rest mostly forgettable.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2842 on: August 10, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
At least we're getting the critics' opinions out of the way before the release. I know it's all going to be awesome. Because everything else he has done before is awesome, a perfect track record. So there is absolutely no reason to doubt anymore.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2843 on: August 17, 2017, 10:55:03 AM »
Vinyl arrived early today, I listened to To The Bone twice now and I love it! I haven't heard any of the released songs until now. Detonation is a beast :O
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2844 on: August 17, 2017, 11:34:47 AM »
GAAH! One more sleep! I am so hyped up and ready for this! It doesn't feel like that long ago since The Raven That Refused to Sing (my first SW pre-order) landed on my doormat. And now we get that thrill all over again! It will be a special day for all SW fans around the world!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2845 on: August 17, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
Vinyl arrived early today, I listened to To The Bone twice now and I love it! I haven't heard any of the released songs until now. Detonation is a beast :O

The remainder of mine should download from ITunes tonight.  I too have not listened in advance.  Some of the critics comments are rather harsh.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2846 on: August 17, 2017, 03:03:45 PM »
I have heard it and really liked it. I prefer a prog/rock/metal approach over a more pop-direction, but I think it is a very well excecuted album that has the essence of what makes SW's music so captivating.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #2847 on: August 17, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »
Glad I'm in the +1 timezone 🙂... just downloaded the rest and am listening to To the Bone atm... really like the song.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2848 on: August 17, 2017, 10:20:14 PM »
^^ I'm in the Pacific Timezone.  I'm glad that I can listen to this album at 9PM and yes, the title track is a pretty good start to the album.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2849 on: August 17, 2017, 10:23:10 PM »
Fabulous piece of work with only only sightly weaker track, for me, Song of Unborn.

Looking forward to seeing him three times in the spring.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #2850 on: August 18, 2017, 12:35:35 AM »
I've been spinning the leak for the past few weeks while I wait for my copy of the album to reach me, but I assume it's ok to talk openly about it now. Overall this is a great album, although it is bottom tier solo work in my opinion which is not saying much because I love every solo album he's put out. There's a couple tracks that I usually skip which is something I never found myself doing with his other albums. Namely, 'Permanating,' which I enjoyed at first, but like most pure pop songs they grab you quick and drop you just as fast. Which is another way of saying I am already extremely bored of this song. 'The Song of I' is another one; it never really grabbed me in the first place. I feel like it would have been much better with some rock instrumentation.

There's a few other songs that I can take or leave, but there's also several gems on this record. 'Refuge' is probably my favorite track on the record. 'Detonation' is a dark, brooding and epic track then a little over halfway through it has an instrumental section that is very reminiscent of The Sky Moves Sideways. 'Song of the Unborn' is an absolute perfect album closer and has one of the best choruses SW has written imo. 'People Who Eat Darkness' is probably the highest energy song on the album, very catchy, and has really interesting instrumentation. Love it. As I already said in a previous post, 'Blank Tapes' is heavenly. Very short, but it has very touching melodies and lyrics.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2851 on: August 18, 2017, 03:08:51 AM »
RELEASE DAY :caffeine:

Listening to the full thing for the first time now.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Rob801

« Reply #2852 on: August 18, 2017, 04:18:32 AM »
^^ I'm in the Pacific Timezone.  I'm glad that I can listen to this album at 9PM and yes, the title track is a pretty good start to the album.
Thats cool, so you got it on the 17th? Thought you might have to wait til midnight or something :).
I'm originally from pacific time so, yeah am 9 hours ahead over here. Only had time for one listen so far but like it over all... need a few more listens to see what grows on me and like someone else wrote, what, if any songs I start skipping...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2853 on: August 18, 2017, 05:39:16 AM »
I'd say To the Bone is definitely better than Hand Cannot Erase, but it doesn't reach the level of Insurgentes or Grace For Drowning.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2854 on: August 18, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »
OH YES! What a spectacular album!

Online Skeever

« Reply #2855 on: August 18, 2017, 07:18:33 AM »
Pleasantly surprised.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2856 on: August 18, 2017, 07:57:38 AM »
First listen now...

Offline V_R11

« Reply #2857 on: August 18, 2017, 08:11:47 AM »
Once again Wilson doesn't disappoint. Truly a great album
Seasons change and so can I

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2858 on: August 18, 2017, 08:26:55 AM »
On my first listen. Musically, this man doesn't make mistakes.

Here's a stripped down version of Pariah he shared this morning....I am officially in love with Ninet...

https://www.facebook.com/StevenWilsonHQ/videos/1566196436733946/?hc_ref=ARRbVmGW5cI-nBbUdPvcrXRTeUBeTgXUYbDQOdYwVk2GBxXeyE9WxIzOa4PPgmAMaKE&pnref=story

Edit: Detonation is a fucking beast of a track.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 08:49:43 AM by lonestar »

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2859 on: August 18, 2017, 09:06:56 AM »
...So that first line in People Who Eat Darkness. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2860 on: August 18, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
On my first listen. Musically, this man doesn't make mistakes.

Here's a stripped down version of Pariah he shared this morning....I am officially in love with Ninet...

https://www.facebook.com/StevenWilsonHQ/videos/1566196436733946/?hc_ref=ARRbVmGW5cI-nBbUdPvcrXRTeUBeTgXUYbDQOdYwVk2GBxXeyE9WxIzOa4PPgmAMaKE&pnref=story

Edit: Detonation is a fucking beast of a track.

Her voice is sex.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2861 on: August 18, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »
...So that first line in People Who Eat Darkness. :lol
What, you're surprised he lives in a flat? He's not that kind of rock star that can afford a mansion.  ;)

This album is good. It's really good. Some of the prog stuff is kind of old now, especially Steven already perfected that style already, so I'm not too crazy about Pariah and Detonation. However, the pop stuff sounds truly fresh. I'm in love with Nowhere now, Permanating, Song of unborn and the title track.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2862 on: August 18, 2017, 10:04:52 AM »
It's pretty good, not something I'd personally come back to a lot, but definitely not bad. That's kinda how I felt about HCE as well, nothing "wrong" with it, just doesn't draw me back in to repeated listens.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2863 on: August 18, 2017, 10:12:25 AM »
the bassline in the middle of the title track is almost identical to the start of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLqNUvVqpmI&

like omg.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2864 on: August 18, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »
On my first listen, and so far, I'm impressed, even with the overt Abba homage that is Permanating.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2865 on: August 18, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »
Just passively listened through.

It's. Not. Bad.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2866 on: August 18, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »
Unlike the latest albums by The Tangent and Marillion, which are unrelenting politics/current affairs through and through, at least To the Bone makes room for a bit of wide-eyed escapism in the form of Nowhere Now and Permanating. Makes the ride a little easier.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2867 on: August 18, 2017, 01:57:27 PM »
Listening to it some more today and, yes, I definitely like it, very much so even.

Anyone here owns/heard the bonus disc of that deluxe edition? Curious to hear how those demo's and songs that didn't made the album are (I picked the vinyl version, as I usually do).

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2868 on: August 18, 2017, 02:33:58 PM »
Detonation truly is something else! I love it to bits! That high guitar 'riff' that repeats throughout the first half, and then that incredible instrumental at the end. You can just lose yourself in it for a good 4 minutes.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2869 on: August 18, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »
Yeah. I listened to it once today, and Detonation was the standout track for me too. I can hear him closing a show with this one, like he did with Ancestral on the last tour.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey