Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 370446 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #280 on: December 10, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
The awesome artwork and inclusion of demos and other non-final tracks just guaranteed my pre-order of the super-exclusive-awesome-boner-edition. Done and done. I can't wait for this shit.

For $100 bucks I think it's a bit steep. I need to think on it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #281 on: December 10, 2014, 12:14:33 PM »
As much as I rant against SW's 70's Prog Rock Crusade, I will probably without a doubt get the deluxe/limited edition. I got both the ones for Grace and Raven, and in my opinion, whenever an artist puts that much effort, passion and love into a physical package, it is worth my money. Even if Raven ended up being a mild disappointment for me, and not one of his best (still good of course), there is nothing bad I could say about the physical limited edition. It was spectacular, and I'm sure this one will be too.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #282 on: December 10, 2014, 12:15:44 PM »
All of this shit (entertainment in general...music, games, movies, etc.) is steep. It all depends on what you get out of it. For me, it'll be auditory masturbation for months to come. So yeah, it's worth it to me. Then again I've had an amazing few months at my job so I'm making bank at the moment. If this were last year, I'd have to pass so...y'know, to each his own.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #283 on: December 10, 2014, 12:20:08 PM »
the packaging might be impressive, but unfortunately it just seems like a ripoff to me  :-\
ill gladly give DT $100 for a box set, but I'm usually getting a CD and vinyl and lithograph and other goodies for this price.  in this case its a CD and bonus disc, a bluray with bonus stuff and mix, and redundant dvd.  maybe worth $50-60 tops, not $100.
ill have to see what other options come out on this one, but i will definitely buy it in some capacity

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #284 on: December 10, 2014, 12:21:32 PM »
I'll probably buy the CD+DVD version. As much as I like the extras of the deluxe edition, I don't have a BluRay player and I don't really have the money for the deluxe version either.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: December 10, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »
I'll probably buy the CD+DVD version. As much as I like the extras of the deluxe edition, I don't have a BluRay player and I don't really have the money for the deluxe version either.

Same here.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #286 on: December 10, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »

This
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Onno

« Reply #287 on: December 10, 2014, 01:15:16 PM »
On a side note: I'm seeing Steven Wilson this sunday! His second ever Bass Communion show is just a couple 100 meters away from where I'm staying that very night. Great coincidence, can't wait to see what type of music is gonna come out.
Did you like it? I wasn't there myself, but I'm really curious.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #288 on: December 10, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
The awesome artwork and inclusion of demos and other non-final tracks just guaranteed my pre-order of the super-exclusive-awesome-boner-edition. Done and done. I can't wait for this shit.

For $100 bucks I think it's a bit steep. I need to think on it.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/product/65/6311/

Guys guys guys... $80.50 at Burningshed. Always go as close to the source as possible. In this case, it's about $20 cheaper!!! Totally pre-ordering this!!!

EDIT - after adding in shipping, Newbury's Domestic Shipping totals to $110.98, while Burningshed has it at $105.45 shipped. Might as well save the $5 if I can.

Also, a release date of March 2nd means it'll be out the day after my birthday, so if it ships early, it'll be a VERY happy birthday for me!!! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #289 on: December 10, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »
Already have my deluxe edition pre-ordered! I'm ready for this shit!  :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #290 on: December 10, 2014, 02:07:40 PM »
Already have my deluxe edition pre-ordered! I'm ready for this shit!  :metal

Ditto. Did it right after I posted a bit ago. I missed out on the Limited Deluxe Editions for SW's first three albums, and now they're all about double their original prices on the secondary market (like eBay), going for over $200+!!! I didn't want to miss this one, and the extras sound interesting and very immersive to the concept.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #291 on: December 10, 2014, 02:53:21 PM »
Hmm, not sure why the Blu-ray comes with a download card and the DVD comes with a CD. Will likely get one of those two versions.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #292 on: December 10, 2014, 04:34:27 PM »
Normally I don't go for the deluxe stuff, but I had told my dad I wanted nothing for Christmas and now I just asked for one. I won't get it til way after Christmas, but it'll be a nice treat.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #293 on: December 10, 2014, 08:21:02 PM »
I do kinda want to get a deluxe SW release. I missed out on Insurgentes, GfD, and Raven, but... there's really not enough in that to justify the cost. A blu-ray, a redundant DVD, and an unimpressive-looking demo disc plus some art for $100? It just doesn't look worth it.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #294 on: December 11, 2014, 01:14:25 AM »
I will probably get the CD + DVD version, the booklet is nice and the DVD 5.1 version is enough of an extra for me. I don't want to sacrifice the CD to get the blu-ray, plus I wouldn't want a blu-ray case in the middle of my CD collection, I'm stupid like that.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #295 on: December 11, 2014, 01:31:29 AM »
On a side note: I'm seeing Steven Wilson this sunday! His second ever Bass Communion show is just a couple 100 meters away from where I'm staying that very night. Great coincidence, can't wait to see what type of music is gonna come out.
Did you like it? I wasn't there myself, but I'm really curious.

Well, the atmosphere was great. I just didn't know what to expect. It was all about being there, the music itself was wonderful, but you couldn't tell if they played a new record really loud, or if they actually did anything live. So... Well, I'm a musician, so I'd like to see things happening on stage, emotions, seeing what the artists do to make the music they are making. And it was like watching a hologram of two guys standing behing a desk.
Again, the music itself was wonderful, but I think I'd enjoyed it even more if there was just a light-show and backing track, no artists.

Apart from that, it was the shortest concert I've ever been, just 45 minutes of new music, and after that it was done.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Onno

« Reply #296 on: December 11, 2014, 02:15:23 AM »
Sounds cool, but I get your point about the 'live' performance. And 45 minutes is really quite short.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #297 on: December 11, 2014, 03:42:59 AM »
The deluxe box does look very tempting, but I think I'll let the super fanboys and -girls with a consistent income buy all the copies. :lol I'll definitely get the version with the bonus DVD, though, 'cause I want to see the making-of documentary.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #298 on: December 11, 2014, 08:16:39 AM »
To reduce clutter in my apartment, digital download it will be as usual. If he put the making of online for a few bucks I would probably watch it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #299 on: December 11, 2014, 08:27:06 AM »
For certain bands like DT, Rush, Steven Wilson, I want the hard copy.  Others I've downloaded for the most part.  I still burn a CD of the download though and store it away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #300 on: December 11, 2014, 08:34:27 AM »
Yeah I've been limiting my purchases to a handful of bands lately, I'm also trying to reduce clutter (thinking about getting rid of most of my movie DVDs as well and keeping only music DVDs/BRs). I guess at some point I'll have to switch completely to digital media, but I'm still clinging on for special dudes like Stevie.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #301 on: December 13, 2014, 03:56:06 PM »
What is the Insurgentes film? Is it worth a purchase?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #302 on: December 13, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
It's a documentary. I really liked it myself, some really great visuals going on, and some interesting info about Steven Wilson, plus the hilarious scene of him visiting Disney World/Land. Might be a bit weird to some people though.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #303 on: December 13, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
For lack of a better term, I would call the Insurgentes film a surrealist documentary film. Great documentary and on the 2nd DVD there's the Harmony Korine music video with 5.1 audio, a Q&A with SW during a screening of the film, a full "live" Bass Communion set (it's the same exact performance that was released on the BC/Pig in Mexico vinyl) and an alternate ending to the film amongst other things that might be worth of interest for SW fans.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #304 on: December 13, 2014, 06:32:04 PM »
Yes, it's totally worth a purchase!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #305 on: December 13, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »
Is it that when he destroys some iPods?

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #306 on: December 13, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
Is it that when he destroys some iPods?

Yes!

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #307 on: December 13, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »

https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/product/65/6311/

Guys guys guys... $80.50 at Burningshed. Always go as close to the source as possible. In this case, it's about $20 cheaper!!! Totally pre-ordering this!!!

EDIT - after adding in shipping, Newbury's Domestic Shipping totals to $110.98, while Burningshed has it at $105.45 shipped. Might as well save the $5 if I can.

Also, a release date of March 2nd means it'll be out the day after my birthday, so if it ships early, it'll be a VERY happy birthday for me!!! :tup

-Marc.

I'm very excited because the March 3rd release in the U.S. just happens to be on my birthday!  :biggrin:
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #308 on: December 13, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »
I neeeeeed to know when he is coming to the US, dammit! I have a trip to plan. Doesn't he know his tours should revolve around my schedule??

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #309 on: December 13, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »
I neeeeeed to know when he is coming to the US, dammit! I have a trip to plan. Doesn't he know his tours should revolve around my schedule??
Yeah, I need to know as well cause I too am planning a trip next year (Rome in fact).

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #310 on: December 13, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »
Sweet! Rome is awesome. I'm going to Alaska, so there is no way in hell he would be where I'm going... so I have to make sure I can at least make one of the dates somewhere.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #311 on: December 13, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »
HORDE. COLLECT. FILE. INDEX. CATALOG. PRESERVE. AMASS. INDEX.

*FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP* I love this song so fucking much.

RIP DTP.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #312 on: December 14, 2014, 05:09:01 AM »
HORDE. COLLECT. FILE. INDEX. CATALOG. PRESERVE. AMASS. INDEX.

*FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP* I love this song so fucking much.

Lok'tar Ogar! For the Horde!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #313 on: December 14, 2014, 07:20:04 AM »
 :lol Did not even notice I did that. That's what back to back double shifts will do to ya. IT'LL KILL YOUR SPELLING AND GRAMMAR, IT'S HORRIBLE!

But yes, for the horde. Even though I haven't played that game in years.

RIP DTP.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #314 on: December 14, 2014, 07:53:56 AM »
Calm down Leeroy Jenkins.