Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371835 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.
« Reply #2765 on: June 29, 2017, 12:17:52 PM »
Permanating is starting to appear across the web. Somehow I suspect it'll divide opinion even more. Me, I love it!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2766 on: June 29, 2017, 03:42:50 PM »
Interestingly, we might be getting an EP of extra songs from the To the Bone sessions next spring, according to the Facebook Q&A video (available on Youtube).

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2767 on: June 30, 2017, 01:20:18 AM »
Permanating is on Spotify now. I love how he's doing this divisive music. Never staying in one genre, which, despite what many will tell you, is the very definition of "progressive". If you didn't think that pop music was part of his DNA, you clearly haven't been listening to his music properly over the years. He is a great writer of genuinely catchy melodies. While the other albums have been fantastic, it's really good to see SW create an album where pop (good pop at that) is the main influence.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2768 on: June 30, 2017, 02:56:51 AM »
Hmm, this single doesn't do much for me at first listen
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2769 on: June 30, 2017, 03:34:50 AM »
I think the new song is pretty good! Gives me some Andromeda vibes (not the Mastodon song :D, the Gorillaz song)

Listened to all 4 released songs again and I think this has some potential to become a pretty good pop album. Song of I is extremely boring though, I hope that's just a one-time fluke. Honestly this is shaping up to be a more pop-induced variant of Thomas Giles' "Pulse", I feel like Steven Wilson fans should really like that album.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2770 on: June 30, 2017, 03:37:25 AM »
I've only heard the snippet. Having been a huge of Montreal fan for a while, this might be right up my alley. And of course, there's ELO influence in there as well, and given that I enjoy their dancy, happy stuff, this might do it for me.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2771 on: June 30, 2017, 04:36:31 AM »
Love it :woot:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2772 on: June 30, 2017, 05:46:23 AM »
Never staying in one genre, which, despite what many will tell you, is the very definition of "progressive".
I don't agree with that. Only if you take the meaning of the word "progressive" literally. But that doesn't have anything to do with the genre itself. It would be the same thing to say that if you play pop you have to be popular, because that's what pop means. There are countless bands that play prog-rock or prog metal or some other subgenre of prog that maintained their sound throughout their whole careers. Does that mean they are not progressive? I don't think so. This idea that you are only progressive if you never stay in only one genre is fairly new and it is a made-up thing.

But let's say you are right. How much do you have to change in order to be considered progressive? To what extent? Is there a machine that can measure it? Where do you draw the line? How much "change" is enough and who is the judge to evaluate it? Do you have to totally reinvent your sound? Even if you do, it is impossible. Even if you make a pop album, then a jazz album, then an avant-garde album and keep changing, there's a limit, isn't there? And your identity is there no matter what genre you play. You'll end up repeating something you already did, sooner or later. So it is impossible to be truly, literally progressive.

Take the new Steven Wilson album. You can clearly recognize his sound because his identity is there. He did pop before with the Hand. Cannot. Erase. There are stuff in the new album that he did before, even though it is new.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:54:24 AM by ChuckSteak »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2773 on: June 30, 2017, 05:54:53 AM »
Just listened to the entire song.

It's great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2774 on: June 30, 2017, 06:32:42 AM »
Really good song!

I am sure a portion of his fan base will lose their minds over this, but that's their problem. :biggrin:

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2775 on: June 30, 2017, 06:36:42 AM »
Never staying in one genre, which, despite what many will tell you, is the very definition of "progressive".
I don't agree with that. Only if you take the meaning of the word "progressive" literally. But that doesn't have anything to do with the genre itself. It would be the same thing to say that if you play pop you have to be popular, because that's what pop means. There are countless bands that play prog-rock or prog metal or some other subgenre of prog that maintained their sound throughout their whole careers. Does that mean they are not progressive? I don't think so. This idea that you are only progressive if you never stay in only one genre is fairly new and it is a made-up thing.

But let's say you are right. How much do you have to change in order to be considered progressive? To what extent? Is there a machine that can measure it? Where do you draw the line? How much "change" is enough and who is the judge to evaluate it? Do you have to totally reinvent your sound? Even if you do, it is impossible. Even if you make a pop album, then a jazz album, then an avant-garde album and keep changing, there's a limit, isn't there? And your identity is there no matter what genre you play. You'll end up repeating something you already did, sooner or later. So it is impossible to be truly, literally progressive.

Take the new Steven Wilson album. You can clearly recognize his sound because his identity is there. He did pop before with the Hand. Cannot. Erase. There are stuff in the new album that he did before, even though it is new.

I can see what you mean but I also disagree with you ;) The Progressive Movement was based on making music that was "progressive" in the true meaning of the word. Musicians tried to expand the limits of popular and rock music with influences from other musical genres. After the first wave of the Prog Movement, the term "progressive" of course became a definition for music that sounded like that by the bands from said first wave. Musical subgenres with strange terms like "Retro-Progressive Rock", which in itself is already a contradiction, evolved and bands wanted to revive the kind of music that Genesis, Yes, Crimso, VdGG, Gentle Giant and all those bands made from 1969-1976. That is not what "progressive" stands for. Therefore I think one should make a difference between the term "Progressive Rock" and making music that is "progressive" in the true sense of the word.
And yes, it is possible to be progressive. Take Robert Fripp for instance. He always disbanded King Crimson in the exact moment when he felt that their new way of making music became a concept or subgenre in some way.
Others are Frank Zappa or David Bowie. They always did something new, for their entire career.
any rock can be made to roll

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2776 on: June 30, 2017, 06:50:08 AM »
Really good song!

I am sure a portion of his fan base will lose their minds over this, but that's their problem. :biggrin:

I love that he's never stagnant with styles of music.  Ever changing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2777 on: June 30, 2017, 07:28:13 AM »
I can see what you mean but I also disagree with you ;) The Progressive Movement was based on making music that was "progressive" in the true meaning of the word. Musicians tried to expand the limits of popular and rock music with influences from other musical genres. After the first wave of the Prog Movement, the term "progressive" of course became a definition for music that sounded like that by the bands from said first wave. Musical subgenres with strange terms like "Retro-Progressive Rock", which in itself is already a contradiction, evolved and bands wanted to revive the kind of music that Genesis, Yes, Crimso, VdGG, Gentle Giant and all those bands made from 1969-1976. That is not what "progressive" stands for. Therefore I think one should make a difference between the term "Progressive Rock" and making music that is "progressive" in the true sense of the word.
And yes, it is possible to be progressive. Take Robert Fripp for instance. He always disbanded King Crimson in the exact moment when he felt that their new way of making music became a concept or subgenre in some way.
Others are Frank Zappa or David Bowie. They always did something new, for their entire career.
There is no such thing as the "Progressive Movement". Musicians didn't just get together and decided to make progressive music. It simply happened as a natural evolution of music, the same with any other genre. Like you said, they started mixing rock with jazz, blues, classical music, etc. So the term "Progressive Rock" was invented to describe the bands who played such kind of music. And like I said, this idea that you have to reinvent yourself constantly to be progressive didn't exist. It was simply used to describe that kind of music. Nothing else. But this idea keeps spreading. I think somehow people get confused about the genre and too attached to the word "progressive".

I don't think Fripp disbanded KC just because he didn't want to fit into a subgenre or to repeat himself.

As I said in my previous post, it is impossible to make "progressive" music in the true sense of the word. You can progress only to a certain extent. Yes, Zappa, Bowie and many others reivented their sound constantly, but you can't escape who you are. Your signature and identity is still in the music, it doesn't matter what you play.

If you have to reinvent yourself constantly, then there is no Progressive Rock as a genre. DT and all other bands aren't progressive. And the ones who reivent themselves are only progressive to a certain extent. Musical genres, musical notes and melodies are limited. If you could live 5 thousand years and you released one album per year, someway down the line you would repeat yourself. Then you wouldn't be progressive anymore...

It really doesn't matter how much you try to be authentic and create something new. You have influences, inspirations, you are born and raised in a certain environment and that shapes who you are and what you will play. Whether you listen to In the Court of the Crimson King or The Power to Believe or Red, it doesn't matter. Fripp is Fripp, he has his style and you can clearly recognize his playing. If you could change who you are and transform into a new person constantly, losing all your memories and you experiences, then, and then only you could be progressive, but, again, only to the extent that music allows you.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:35:04 AM by ChuckSteak »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2778 on: June 30, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
I like the new song. That style isn't really what I usually go for, but I can certainly appreciate this.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2779 on: June 30, 2017, 10:57:21 AM »
The thing is, we can all talk about the stylistic shifts, daring, being open-minded to bands changing their sound etc. But guess what? Not only it's an experiment, a brave move and different - it's also a damn good song.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2780 on: June 30, 2017, 11:45:19 AM »
The piano chords at the beginning (they come back a few times throughout) remind me a bit of Supertramp.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2781 on: June 30, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
Really good song!

The first comment on the song on his YouTube channel is hilarious. A lot of the comments are hilarious.

I love this track! Can you imagine making a CD for someone to turn them on to Steven Wilson and the track after this song is Raider II? Jarring
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2782 on: June 30, 2017, 04:23:22 PM »
Steven went full Coldplay? Ok

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2783 on: June 30, 2017, 04:56:57 PM »
The thing is, we can all talk about the stylistic shifts, daring, being open-minded to bands changing their sound etc. But guess what? Not only it's an experiment, a brave move and different - it's also a damn good song.

Very true.  I am definitely not one of those "experimental music is good because it is experimental" people.  A good song is a good song, and this is a good song.

I love that he's never stagnant with styles of music.  Ever changing.

:tup :tup

He did?  Where??

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2784 on: June 30, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »
I wish Ninet's part at the end where she backs Steven would have been longer. I really enjoy this song. Looking forward to getting the lyrics too, I think I have most of it
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2785 on: June 30, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »

He did?  Where??

Mostly the new song tbh. I'm not into coldplay so I hope the rest of the album is closer to Song of I :P

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2786 on: June 30, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
I'm not into the new song. I agree with Sacul, I wish it's more like Song Of I.

[/quote

This new song sounds like a cheap attempt at a coldplay song.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2787 on: June 30, 2017, 07:04:54 PM »
I love the new song. Really cool, definitely a different approach. It's pop but it's like it's a smarter pop with a better structure than most.

I say this as a mild fan of some pop songs.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2788 on: June 30, 2017, 09:44:18 PM »
Coldplay has a lot of songs that are way better than this song tho
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2789 on: June 30, 2017, 09:58:25 PM »
Am I the only one who hasn't listened to ANY of the songs that he's released so far? I'm kind of wanting to go into TTB with fresh ears for once, with no preconceived notions about the music. I've even strayed from most comments and reviews on the songs, just so I can go in with a blind-eye (or ear) and be surprised, though hopefully it ends up being a GOOD surprise and not a BAD one.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2790 on: June 30, 2017, 11:55:56 PM »
Mostly due to laziness, I haven't heard any of the new songs. :lol Since Wilson's stuff isn't on any radio station I listen to, it's easier to not spoil the first listen experience. With a lot of the more mainstream stuff, there's always that "oh, and here's the single I've heard a million times" moment. I like going through a new album with each song having the same level of freshness. It's easier to focus on the whole album that way.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2791 on: July 01, 2017, 04:36:43 AM »
I'm not hearing any Coldplay influence on this song. I wonder which Coldplay song it reminds people of.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2792 on: July 01, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
I get it. I can't really think of any specific song. Maybe there is one but for me it would more be the overall vibe. Fortunately I enjoy Coldplay so I don't mind at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2793 on: July 01, 2017, 09:45:34 AM »
I don't hear any Coldplay in this new song, but to each his own.  It has more of an old school ABBA vibe, if you ask me.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2794 on: July 01, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »
the intro piano sounds a lot like the piano used in ABBA's mama mia and dancing queen. Not at all coldplay to my ears

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2795 on: July 01, 2017, 12:51:25 PM »
Oh yeah, the first thing I thought when I heard this song was definetely 'old school 80s pop music', so that seems to be the main influence here. But I can hear what people mean when they say they hear some Coldplay.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2796 on: July 01, 2017, 06:34:18 PM »
Am I the only one who hasn't listened to ANY of the songs that he's released so far? I'm kind of wanting to go into TTB with fresh ears for once, with no preconceived notions about the music. I've even strayed from most comments and reviews on the songs, just so I can go in with a blind-eye (or ear) and be surprised, though hopefully it ends up being a GOOD surprise and not a BAD one.

-Marc.

I have not listened to any of the songs on the new album.  Will buy on iTunes when released with a nice glass of wine and good headphones.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2797 on: July 01, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »
don't forget your monocle and fedora

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2798 on: July 01, 2017, 08:25:39 PM »
If you only knew a mod here owns a monocle. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2799 on: July 02, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
Mostly due to laziness, I haven't heard any of the new songs. :lol Since Wilson's stuff isn't on any radio station I listen to, it's easier to not spoil the first listen experience. With a lot of the more mainstream stuff, there's always that "oh, and here's the single I've heard a million times" moment. I like going through a new album with each song having the same level of freshness. It's easier to focus on the whole album that way.

That's exactly what I intend by not listening to anything before it's released with the whole album. Since The Astonishing I have always managed not to listen to anything, although sometimes it's killing me  :lol
any rock can be made to roll