Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371189 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #245 on: December 02, 2014, 11:35:03 AM »
Six Degrees Of Steven Wilson
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #246 on: December 02, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »
I have a prediction to make for H.C.E.

First Regret will be a spoken-word piece with the female singer (we heard a snippet of spoken-word in one of the studio videos) and an ambient background. This will lead into 3 Years Older, which will begin with the music heard at the beginning of "SW at AIR Studios Part 1" video, as an intro/overture. Themes from this 2-3-min intro will recur through the album.

As I say, this is only a prediction. I could be totally wrong. But it's fun to try and guess before the album comes out.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #247 on: December 02, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »
I hope the female vocalist is utilized a lot. Meaning she's used at the right moments in the songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #248 on: December 02, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »
It would also be cool if a female vocalist joined him for the tour.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #249 on: December 02, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »
It would also be cool if a female vocalist joined him for the tour.

I always assumed that was a given tbh. If she has as central of a role on this album, it would pretty much be impossible to do the tour without a female singer. Overall SW really is the kind of guy who makes every tour feel like the album is central. The times I have seen him, the current album has always been the central focus of the show. Playing all of The Incident when I saw him with PT, and then seeing him live playing a really GfD-centered show (the same tour he recorded for the DVD) and then a very Raven-centric show last year. So I'm pretty certain the new tour will be very heavily focused on the new one, and I see him sticking true to the album and having a female guest.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2014, 02:09:52 PM »
Agreed Jimmy.  I like to have her sing backups on the older songs to give them a different vibe as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: December 02, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »
Agreed Jimmy.  I like to have her sing backups on the older songs to give them a different vibe as well.

That could be interesting. I'm very excited for the possibilities of the setlist this tour. I feel like he has reached that point now that an album would have to be VERY conceptual if he would play the whole thing, and while this album is a concept album, I'm not sure if that's enough for him to play all of it. Still, we'll probably get at least 70% of the album, maybe more. While Raider II is one of his best songs IMO (probably even his best epic for me), I do think it's time to drop it from the setlist. He played it during the GfD tour, and a shortened version during the Raven tour, but it still takes up a huge amount of time. If I had to pick between Raider II, or 2-3 more interesting songs that I didn't get to hear on the last two tours, I would go with the latter.

Insurgentes is the album I'm hoping we will get some surprises from. Salvaging would be my nr1 wish track for this tour, but I would also be thrilled if he decided to play the title track, or something from the bonus disc. Collecting Space, Puncture Wound or Untitled (The 78) could be neat numbers. From Grace, I've been lucky to have already experienced most of it live, on the Grace tour which was simply amazing. I think Deform to Form a Star HAS to be played, because I would consider it the Trains of his solo career so far. It's really catchy, very well written and should just be in the setlist. In terms of surprises, I love the bonus track Home in Negative, a song that gets way too little appreciation, probably because not a lot of people have the bonus disc. It reminds me a bit of some of the simpler Blackfield and Porcupine Tree tracks, but it is hauntingly beautiful and I would love it. With Raven, I don't really know. We got most of it (or all of it?) on the last tour, so I'm pretty satisfied. The title track should be played at least, considering it is one of his best. Apart from that I have no major wishes from that album.

A balanced set with mostly new songs, but some great surprises from the previous solo albums (like Salvaging, Puncture Wound and Home in Negative) would leave me satisfied. If he topped that with another PT song or two (like he did on the last tour), that would be the icing on the cake.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #252 on: December 02, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »
Anti-prog snobbery is just as annoying as prog snobbery. Some people like long songs. Some don't. Who cares.

I truly don't understand why it even matters. Who cares if someone would rather split up their musical ideas into 3 or 4 tracks rather than try to unify them into one track? I've noticed in progressive rock and metal, that even if someone makes a long song, it might as well be 3 or 4 short songs, because instead of trying to develop their musical ideas and themes (which would lengthen a single musical idea and therefore give a song a reason to be long), they move on to completely unrelated ideas, which is where critics come up with the word "disjointed".
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #253 on: December 02, 2014, 08:41:29 PM »
:lol

I love how some people are masturbating over the track lengths like they actually mean something. I think the cover looks cool. I'm not reading anything into the tracks, just excited for whatever the fuck it is. Really I just want to know when the fuck he's coming to the US.
If I'm masturbating over something, it sure as hell ain't the track lengths.

I mean... totally not unplugging the pipe over here. Yep, no siree. Nothing to see here.

Online BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: December 03, 2014, 02:22:52 AM »
The things is, Marco posted on facebook that the touring lineup would be the same as the previous tour except that Theo wouldn't join. I guess that doesn't ultimately exclude that a female vocalist will be present though. I really hope he brings her along, Significant Other would be amazing live.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: December 04, 2014, 12:07:15 PM »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline emtee

« Reply #256 on: December 04, 2014, 12:36:40 PM »
My god that music sounds incredible. Dude is on an unstoppable roll. He's in some kind of zone where everything he touches
is genious level. Really excited to hear this album.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: December 04, 2014, 12:44:24 PM »
I like what SW is saying, and I will pick up the deluxe edition for sure. The music at the start of this video didn't blow me away that much, sounded like more of the same with very SW-sounding prog rock, and I would love to see him leave that behind. But it seems the album will have a lot of variety so there's probably room for a little bit of everything on it.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #258 on: December 04, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »
Guthrie's outro solo is jawdropping. Very David Gilmour-esque. Which is about as big a compliment as I can give him, that bit of guitar playing really is the only thing sometimes missing in his palet.

On a side note: I'm seeing Steven Wilson this sunday! His second ever Bass Communion show is just a couple 100 meters away from where I'm staying that very night. Great coincidence, can't wait to see what type of music is gonna come out. 
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: December 04, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »
Music sounds pretty good. I can't imagine the whole album sounds like that though.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #260 on: December 04, 2014, 01:47:51 PM »
When the video flips from the text to the keyboardist, if you watch the video @ 1080p and fulllscreen you can see the name of the song they're playing is Home Invasion.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #261 on: December 04, 2014, 01:59:01 PM »
Any (very minimal) doubts I had about the album have been quashed already. The music in these clips is tantalising! Emtee is absolutely bang on the money here:

Dude is on an unstoppable roll. He's in some kind of zone where everything he touches
is genius level.

I cannot wait for this!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #262 on: December 04, 2014, 02:22:05 PM »
Woah. Woah. Woah. - That should've been the title.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #263 on: December 04, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
Hands. Cannot. Stop. Fapping.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #264 on: December 04, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »
As I said on facebook...

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #265 on: December 04, 2014, 05:09:26 PM »
Exactly! :lol :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #266 on: December 05, 2014, 12:18:03 AM »
Absolutely beautiful stuff. Dat solo! Next year can't get here quick enough. Definitely going all out for this one and gettin' dat deluxe.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #267 on: December 05, 2014, 02:08:50 AM »
I like the album cover and the clip in the latest video :tup
The things is, Marco posted on facebook that the touring lineup would be the same as the previous tour except that Theo wouldn't join. I guess that doesn't ultimately exclude that a female vocalist will be present though. I really hope he brings her along, Significant Other would be amazing live.
In the album and tour press release SW also said he's "casting the net further back into my songwriting past for a few surprises" - Up the Downstair or The Sky Moves Sideways 2 with a female voice would be awesome! :drool:

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #268 on: December 05, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
Hey guys, I'm very new into my SW/PT fandom. So far I know that I love all of the PT + SW albums, in particular I LOVE (with capitals) The Raven*.

On Youtube about a year ago I found videos for many of the songs from that album performed live. I would now like to buy the DVD that the songs come from.

So...

After a quick venture to Wikipedia I'm assuming the songs come from the Drive Home EP? Which apparently had a bonus DVD disc? Or did it come in a DVD + CD format?

I want to own this DVD BADLY. I quickly looked it up on Amazon.ca because I'm not from here eh, and I see that it is only out on Blu-ray.

Now I recruit YOU, Dreamtheatre (because I'm from Canada) forums.org to help me out because I'm way too drunk to do my own research. Is the entire live performance available on a single standalone DVD? Because I quite frankly don't care about the CD EP itself. And is it only available on BLUE ray? Because I only own a DVD player and I would be very disappointed if my favorite songs from the past 20 years of music weren't available for me to experience in a live format. Any help you can give me would be very appreciated.

PS. Systematic Chaos rules

*That Refused to Sing**

**And Other Stories

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #269 on: December 06, 2014, 09:02:52 AM »
Hey guys, I'm very new into my SW/PT fandom.

my favorite songs from the past 20 years of music

whoa.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #270 on: December 06, 2014, 09:42:59 AM »
Hey guys, I'm very new into my SW/PT fandom. So far I know that I love all of the PT + SW albums, in particular I LOVE (with capitals) The Raven*.

On Youtube about a year ago I found videos for many of the songs from that album performed live. I would now like to buy the DVD that the songs come from.

So...

After a quick venture to Wikipedia I'm assuming the songs come from the Drive Home EP? Which apparently had a bonus DVD disc? Or did it come in a DVD + CD format?

I want to own this DVD BADLY. I quickly looked it up on Amazon.ca because I'm not from here eh, and I see that it is only out on Blu-ray.

Now I recruit YOU, Dreamtheatre (because I'm from Canada) forums.org to help me out because I'm way too drunk to do my own research. Is the entire live performance available on a single standalone DVD? Because I quite frankly don't care about the CD EP itself. And is it only available on BLUE ray? Because I only own a DVD player and I would be very disappointed if my favorite songs from the past 20 years of music weren't available for me to experience in a live format. Any help you can give me would be very appreciated.

PS. Systematic Chaos rules

*That Refused to Sing**

**And Other Stories

XB0X

Drive Home is the EP you are talking about and it's available in both CD/DVD or CD/Blu Ray. Unfortunately there's no official release of that complete show.

However, there's a complete show officially released called "Get All you Deserve" and that's a complete concert from Steven's Grace for Drowning show with the same players (but they don't play anything off The Raven That Refused to Sing since that had not been released yet at the time of the filming).

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #271 on: December 06, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
Well an earlier version of Lunimol is on there...

Dammit now I wanna listen to it
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: December 06, 2014, 10:38:31 AM »
Get All You Deserve is probably my favorite live release he has put out, PT live albums included. I don't think the setlist could have been much greater tbh. Sure, the title-track from Raven (which came afterwards) would have been a nice addition, but that concert is just epic.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #273 on: December 06, 2014, 10:43:36 AM »
Hey guys, I'm very new into my SW/PT fandom...

...my favorite songs from the past 20 years of music

Well that escalated quickly.

Also, better than Systematic Chaos? ('Yes' is the correct answer here.)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #274 on: December 06, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
Get a blu ray player.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
Guthrie's outro solo is jawdropping. Very David Gilmour-esque. Which is about as big a compliment as I can give him, that bit of guitar playing really is the only thing sometimes missing in his palet.

On a side note: I'm seeing Steven Wilson this sunday! His second ever Bass Communion show is just a couple 100 meters away from where I'm staying that very night. Great coincidence, can't wait to see what type of music is gonna come out. 

My thoughts exactly, I can't wait to hear all of Guthrie's playing on this record.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »
Every time it gets foggy in my city and I look at my phone I'm tempted to play The Raven

Offline Lucien

« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2014, 10:13:13 PM »
Every time it gets foggy in my city and I look at my phone I'm tempted to play The Raven

I saw this post, looked at my clock, and it was 11:12. And today is 12/6/2014. That's creepy lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: December 10, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »
The new album from Steven Wilson, “Hand. Cannot. Erase.” is now available to pre-order in 4 different formats.
The album follows the critical and commercial success of 2013's 'The Raven That Refused To Sing' (Germany #3, UK# 28) and an international run of sold-out shows, including London's prestigious Royal Albert Hall.
Joining Steven on the album is Guthrie Govan (Official) (Official) (guitar), Adam Holzman (keyboards), Nick Beggs (bass / stick), and Marco Minnemann (drums) - all part of the world-class band that graced The Raven and the 2013/2014 world tours.
"Hand. Cannot. Erase." was recorded in September 2014 at the renowned AIR Studios in London.
https://smarturl.it/HandCannotErase

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #279 on: December 10, 2014, 12:12:29 PM »
The awesome artwork and inclusion of demos and other non-final tracks just guaranteed my pre-order of the super-exclusive-awesome-boner-edition. Done and done. I can't wait for this shit.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.