Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371771 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1995 on: October 29, 2015, 05:23:35 PM »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1996 on: October 29, 2015, 05:37:25 PM »
Finally! I keep hearing about how sad the video was and I was always curious.

Wow is right
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1997 on: October 29, 2015, 06:22:39 PM »
I can't handle all these feels :'(

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1998 on: October 29, 2015, 06:36:28 PM »
Well, hadn't seen that since the tour. Cried like a baby.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1999 on: October 29, 2015, 07:52:27 PM »
Um...wow. So that was soul crushingly beautiful. Jesus fucking christ does that man know how to make tearing out someone's heart and grinding it away the most amazing thing ever. Definitely teared up a bit but I didn't actually shed one till that damn ending. I usually get choked up at the end of that song, it's gorgeous and a perfect ending. The first time I heard it whenever Tayeb seemingly ends it I was kinda like "aw damn"...and then Wilson and her come back with that ending and it's just like "Oh, your heart is in pieces? WELL WE'RE GONNA TURN IT TO DUST!"

Powerful, to say the absolute least.

On a lighter note, that animation and direction is really awesome and extremely well done. I like how she never actually cries but eyes always glazed over; then at the end you can see she's getting better. I half-expected a jump off the cliff at some point but I figured not given the story (at least for the isolated song). I love how every time a music video is made, it's apart of a story and the imagery and animation is always so perfect. Even though it's similar to others, the tone and movement is different enough and I can't see this type working with other songs; it shows how much detail and work goes into them. Truly, while I'm not putting other bands down for the 'usual' videos, that's still great and even needed at times (given that this takes something out of you, I'm sure both for the creators and viewers alike), it really is in a different league than other videos. You can't even call this a traditional music video, it's almost apples and oranges.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2000 on: October 29, 2015, 07:55:27 PM »
Just.....wow.....
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline snowdog

« Reply #2001 on: October 29, 2015, 08:06:17 PM »
Yeah hadn't seen that since the show.  It was definitely just as powerful.  My wife watched it and told me "damn you!"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2002 on: October 29, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »
That was amazing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2003 on: October 29, 2015, 09:25:54 PM »
Yeah. It was gripping live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2004 on: October 29, 2015, 09:34:35 PM »
I absolutely would've been balling if I saw it live.  :lol My emotions usually run pretty high at a concert, and for SW they're all over the place despite the fact that I expect a certain amount of melancholy. But seeing HCE live would just blow all that away and I'd be elated yet a scared little boy who is exposed to all the horrors of the world and WAAAAAHHH!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #2005 on: October 29, 2015, 11:00:27 PM »
Wow. Just as powerful as it was live.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2006 on: October 29, 2015, 11:38:19 PM »
I absolutely would've been balling if I saw it live.  :lol My emotions usually run pretty high at a concert, and for SW they're all over the place despite the fact that I expect a certain amount of melancholy. But seeing HCE live would just blow all that away and I'd be elated yet a scared little boy who is exposed to all the horrors of the world and WAAAAAHHH!

Yup. I cried like five times during that show.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2007 on: October 30, 2015, 02:41:11 AM »
HCE was a mild disappointment for me, but Routine is definitely the big highlight, and the video is beautiful. It was definitely one of the most emotional moments of the show when he played it (the video really elevated it), apart from The Raven That Refused to Sing, which is just.. probably his best song.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2008 on: October 30, 2015, 02:43:26 AM »
Good to know we're all crybabies when it comes to this video and not just me. I was really moved by it live and it was great too see it again, I've been waiting for it for quite a while now. It's just as powerful and moving as it was in concert.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: October 31, 2015, 06:26:27 AM »
Video for Routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh5mWzKlhQY

Wow.
Dear God.

That video in the background live was intense.   So wonderful live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #2011 on: October 31, 2015, 08:31:23 AM »
Jesus that was... powerful. In a way I'm glad I missed the chance to see him live because I would have broke down seeing that live. I can't imagine how amazing that would have been to see in that environment though.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2012 on: October 31, 2015, 08:49:44 AM »
I still haven't seen this song live - hoping to see it next year - but damn, this video made me shed a tear or two. Powerful doesn't even describe it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2013 on: October 31, 2015, 09:17:41 AM »
I'm such a Steven Wilson fanboy. I've loved deeply everything he has done for the bast several years, and this video is no exception. I remember that watching it live was an extremely surreal experience, one which struck me emotionally big time.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2014 on: October 31, 2015, 09:41:56 AM »
Jess Cope is the fucking shit. All of her videos have kicked serious ass.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2015 on: October 31, 2015, 12:15:29 PM »
Wow... I'm not a fan of music videos in general, but this was fantastic. All the feels.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2016 on: October 31, 2015, 08:05:27 PM »
The new video inspired me to give a belated review of HCE, and give props to Owl House and Jess Cope in my new Jammin Dude's Neighborhood episode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RRHaBlsLkg
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2018 on: November 05, 2015, 10:39:46 AM »
https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/product/65/7069/

An interim release between Hand. Cannot. Erase. and his next album, Steven Wilson's 4 ½ comprises 6 tracks with a total running time of 37 minutes.

Four of the songs originated during the sessions for Hand. Cannot. Erase. and one from the recording sessions for The Raven That Refused To Sing. The final track is a new version of Don't Hate Me - a song recorded by Porcupine Tree in 1998 - based on a live recording made on the recent tour of Europe, with additional recording in the studio. The vocals on this new version are sung as a duet between Steven and Ninet Tayeb.

Adam Holzman, Nick Beggs, Guthrie Govan, Dave Kilminster, Craig Blundell, Marco Minnemann, Chad Wackerman and Theo Travis also contribute to
4 ½

CD version in a digipak with an 8 page booklet and a beautiful die-cut slipcase (photographed by Lasse Hoile and designed by Carl Glover).

Pre-order for 22nd January 2016 release. All orders through Burning Shed / Kscope come with an exclusive postcard.

And from Facebook:
22nd January will see the release of a new Steven Wilson album “4 ½”, so titled because it forms an interim release between Steven’s recently released fourth album Hand. Cannot. Erase. and the next studio album.

4 ½ comprises 6 tracks with a total running time of 37 minutes. 4 of the songs originated during the sessions for Hand. Cannot. Erase., and one from the recording sessions for the previous album The Raven that Refused to Sing. The final track is a version of Don’t Hate Me, a song originally recorded by Porcupine Tree in 1998, and is based on a live recording made on the recent tour of Europe with additional recording later done in the studio. The vocals on this new version are sung as a duet between Steven and Ninet Tayeb.

Also appearing on the album are members of Steven’s band over the last few years; Adam Holzman, Nick Beggs, Guthrie Govan (Official), Dave Kilminster, Craig Blundell, Marco Minnemann, Chad Wackerman, and Theo Travis.

4 ½ will be released by Kscope on CD, 180 gram vinyl, and blu-ray, with all formats housed in a beautiful die-cut sleeve photographed by Lasse Hoile and designed by Carl Glover. The blu-ray (audio only) edition includes high res stereo, a 5.1 mix of the album, and a bonus 5.1 mix of the new version of Lazarus (recently included on the Transience vinyl compilation). The vinyl edition will include a download code for the album in a choice of FLAC or mp3. The album will also be available digitally on 22nd January from iTunes, Amazon.com, Google Play & Apple Music.

Steven Wilson - "4 ½"
1. My Book of Regrets (9.23)
2. Year of the Plague (4.15)
3. Happiness III (4.31)
4. Sunday Rain Sets In (3.50)
5. Vermillioncore (5.09)
6. Don’t Hate Me (9.34)

https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2019 on: November 05, 2015, 10:45:16 AM »
Wow! It's all happening today, isn't it? All the excitement on DT-side, and now this?

:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2020 on: November 05, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »
Oh boy. If DT drops in January as rumored, it's gotta suck that their new ambitious double concept album will be overshadowed quality-wise by an EP of leftover songs from SW.

Offline mrtruthless

« Reply #2021 on: November 05, 2015, 11:31:12 AM »
Man, Hand Cannot Erase is definitely a top 10 album for me this year. Might be my favourite of his solo releases. More stuff from those sessions has me excited.
I hate catchphrases - Me

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2022 on: November 05, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »
Oh boy. If DT drops in January as rumored, it's gotta suck that their new ambitious double concept album will be overshadowed quality-wise by an EP of leftover songs from SW.
:\

I'm not going to pretend like I'm a huge DT fan anymore but come on dude, you're already stating what the quality of the album will be when we've heard zilch from it. You never go full dingus dude.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2023 on: November 05, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »

I'm not going to pretend like I'm a huge DT fan anymore but come on dude, you're already stating what the quality of the album will be when we've heard zilch from it. You never go full dingus dude.

Agreed. Not necessary. Though I won't be surprised if SW's half album is fantastic.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2024 on: November 05, 2015, 03:49:32 PM »

I'm more stoked to blast 2 albums back to back for a month.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2025 on: November 05, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »
Yeah, albums of music don't work quite like movies at a box office  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2026 on: November 05, 2015, 08:32:53 PM »

It doesn't happen often, but I totally agree with you.

Unless someone is using your user name elsewhere, Zantera, your stance on the forthcoming DT album is pretty ridiculous.  You haven't heard a second of it and you already hate it.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2027 on: November 05, 2015, 11:22:39 PM »
I'd just like to somehow give my account number to SW and have him take whatever money he desires at any time, shipping me anything he does automatically. If my cellphone carrier can do that, why not SW?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2028 on: November 06, 2015, 01:36:41 AM »
So, I've got a rather unimportant question - do we count this as a new album or an EP?  :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2029 on: November 06, 2015, 01:52:58 AM »
So, I've got a rather unimportant question - do we count this as a new album or an EP?  :lol

Hmmm. My first instinct is to say it's an EP, but it follows the convention of his solo album numbering, so it's a kind-of album. I mean, I suppose the Drive Home EP could be 3.5, right?

I mean, it's only 6 tracks (one is a cover), and it's under 40 minutes total.

What I want to know is how the other HCE tracks fit into the story of the album, if at all? I'd love to expand the album with these other session studio pieces and hear more of the story.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!