Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 371747 times)

Offline XB0BX

Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1750 on: June 28, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
Anyone listened to Aviv Geffen's stuff? Anything worth listening to there?

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1751 on: June 28, 2015, 07:20:08 PM »
A very in depth 45 minute interview with Steven Wilson :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oo9UVpHedI&feature=youtu.be

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1752 on: June 29, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
On another message board (https://tlboard.com/topic/21431-steven-wilson-hand-cannot-erase/) someone stated that Happy Returns has a callback to Collapse the Light Into Earth, am I deaf or what because I've never heard that

yeah i don't hear it either. maybe he confused the recollection of "First Regret" during the intro?

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1753 on: June 29, 2015, 01:52:36 PM »
The show was amazing last night in Montreal.   :hefdaddy

They have also played a new song...yes there's a new SW album coming later this year.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1754 on: June 29, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »
Really? He said that? Is that the leftovers/tracks that didn't make it onto HCE, that I've heard talk of in a couple interviews?

Sorry to be difficult, but in the most recent interview (from Montreal) he seemed to suggest he had no idea when that material might see the light of day. Is he trying to surprise us? Regardless- I sure hope you're right!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1755 on: June 29, 2015, 02:47:03 PM »
Really? He said that? Is that the leftovers/tracks that didn't make it onto HCE, that I've heard talk of in a couple interviews?

Sorry to be difficult, but in the most recent interview (from Montreal) he seemed to suggest he had no idea when that material might see the light of day. Is he trying to surprise us? Regardless- I sure hope you're right!

I think he said that the new songs just didn't fit with the concept of HCE.

The new song that they have played last night was really really good, it's a long hard-rocking and very catchy song (around 10 mins) with a beautiful instrumental interlude in the middle.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1756 on: June 29, 2015, 03:11:03 PM »
I haven't given up on SW but I feel so uninterested in what he's currently doing, that he would probably have to change up his band (or get rid of them completely), do something completely different to peak my interest. Raven was fine, HCE was fine, but I haven't been overly impressed with SW since Grace. I feel like he has found a really boring comfort zone that does cater to himself and most of the prog fanbase, but just doesn't do it for me. I enjoyed HCE, but it's not even on the radar for my favorite albums of 2015, in fact it's miles off.

After Raven and HCE I feel like I probably won't pre-order another deluxe edition blindly, but I'll always be interested in a new album and check it out. Here's hoping that SW returns to PT.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1757 on: June 29, 2015, 04:06:07 PM »
A very in depth 45 minute interview with Steven Wilson :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oo9UVpHedI&feature=youtu.be

I loved it. So much was great about that interview and I agree with him on a lot of parts. One that sticks out right now that made me laugh that I wholeheartedly agree with is:

"One of the worst things you can ever do as a musician is ever listen to your fans what they want. Don't EEEEEVVVER listen to your fans. Because everyone has an opinion." - Steven Wilson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1758 on: June 29, 2015, 04:54:27 PM »
He is so right, and I think most knowledgeable SW fans would agree that he writes and records what he wants to, without any regard for what the fans want, which is what a true artist should do.  It is so refreshing to have an artist like that nowadays, especially when he keeps making music this good. :tup :tup

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1759 on: June 29, 2015, 11:40:59 PM »
Zantera's loss is my huge gain. Steven Wilson's music has finally become accessible to me. And what wonderful music it is.

Saw him live for the first time earlier this year and can't wait for the two Albert Hall dates in September.

Hand. Cannot. Erase. is my favourite album in what feels like forever.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1760 on: June 29, 2015, 11:51:34 PM »
The show was amazing last night in Montreal.   :hefdaddy

They have also played a new song...yes there's a new SW album coming later this year.

He must mean the "mini album" or "EP" he talks about in that interview. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an EP of the leftover material written during HCE later this year.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1761 on: June 30, 2015, 01:02:16 AM »
"No one makes videos like that anymore... except me"

Not sure if serious  :rollin
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1762 on: June 30, 2015, 01:36:02 AM »
I could listen to Steven talk for hours :hearts:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: June 30, 2015, 05:21:29 AM »
What a splendid interview that was! Thanks for linking.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1764 on: June 30, 2015, 06:08:57 AM »
I haven't given up on SW but I feel so uninterested in what he's currently doing, that he would probably have to change up his band (or get rid of them completely), do something completely different to peak my interest. Raven was fine, HCE was fine, but I haven't been overly impressed with SW since Grace. I feel like he has found a really boring comfort zone that does cater to himself and most of the prog fanbase, but just doesn't do it for me. I enjoyed HCE, but it's not even on the radar for my favorite albums of 2015, in fact it's miles off.

After Raven and HCE I feel like I probably won't pre-order another deluxe edition blindly, but I'll always be interested in a new album and check it out. Here's hoping that SW returns to PT.

I completely agree. I listened to some PT the other night for the first time in a long time and it just clicked better. The solo stuff is definitely more ambitious and well executed but comes off as a little, I dunno, cold? I personally don't find a majority of it that interesting save for the entire first album and parts of HCE.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1765 on: June 30, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »
I feel like he has found a really boring comfort zone that does cater to himself and most of the prog fanbase

I certainly won't argue that his new material might not be everyones cup of tea, and that he does cater to himself... But he really doesn't cater to the prog fanbase. Or anyone else. He has too much going on in his head to allow anything else thats relevant to anyone else to be a consideration for him. From what I've also gathered from interviews and such is that he's certainly not doing this because he's getting lazy or anything. If anything, this is his way of attaining exactly what he desires and what he finds interesting. SW does what SW wants and nothing else these days. He even said himself that his solo career is his main focus because he is 100% in control of the final material.

Sure, his latest offerings might not be up to the expectations of some, nor be interesting to some, but one thing about SW that excites me is he shows no sign of giving up, and he's always changing his headspace up due to life situations and new musical inspirations. I think Hand. Cannot. Erase is fantastic, but I'm looking forward to being blown away or even disappointed by whatever's next. As long as the dude keeps on crankin' out music, remixing albums, and staying relevant in the scene, I'm a happy guy.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #1766 on: July 03, 2015, 06:22:07 AM »
Got through most of the interview on my way home from work today and also really enjoy hearing him talk so looking forward to hearing the rest of it! I can see he is coming back to Copenhagen on the second leg of the tour so hopes he also makes a stop on mainland Denmark.

I never reported back after seeing him back in April but although the performance was stellar my experience was not because of changes made to the venue for the worse IMO which didn't happen to fit my needs and expectations (I wasn't able to move around and experiment since my wife was nice enough to come with me and she needed to sit, as I also prefer to when possible, but due to a physical issue in her case). I'll be better prepared next time.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1767 on: July 03, 2015, 10:56:26 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how HCE is catering to a prog fanbase.

Anyway, looking forward to that interview later when I have time!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1768 on: July 03, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how HCE is catering to a prog fanbase.

Anyway, looking forward to that interview later when I have time!

Right!  How about he's doing what he wants right now.  That's how Steven has always struck me.  He does what he wants.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1769 on: July 03, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
I don't think anyone has said otherwise.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: July 03, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
When some insinuate he's catering to the prog fanbase they are stating that.  He caters to himself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1771 on: July 03, 2015, 12:05:37 PM »
Well, what I said in my original post was that he makes music that caters to himself and also happens to cater to the prog fanbase. :P There's no doubt he's making the music he wants to do, but he also hits that sweet spot where most of the prog community are also swooning over his albums, so I guess it's a pretty good outcome.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: July 03, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
Don't worry, I sense an avant-garde album soon.  That's who he is.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1773 on: July 03, 2015, 02:14:18 PM »
But what I'm saying is I don't consider this a "prog" album. It has its moments, but I'd say it's way less prog than the last two albums.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1774 on: July 03, 2015, 06:26:27 PM »
Definitely - HCE is quite modern-sounding, with very little prog. Almost the opposite of what he did on The Raven... It surprises me me that some people think this is a carbon-copy, 70s rehash - they clearly haven't listened it enough. Or at all.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1775 on: July 03, 2015, 07:22:28 PM »
On the whole "progressive" and "catering" thing:

This is kind of a duh, but his music (or anyone's music, for that matter) shouldn't be judged simply for how "prog" it is. At least, if people bat an eye at HCE just because it has a couple 4 minute songs, then that's their own problem.

I think most people like him for the emotional qualities tied to his music, and how interesting and "quality" his songwriting is in general. Not because it's proggy, he's just able to use it to amplify his songwriting. Like people have said, he is writing for himself and indulging in his own musical interests as a songwriter. He just happens to have progressive qualities when he writes, and if those qualities are less prominent to fit the themes of the music then so be it. Being prog for the sake of prog is.. not necessary if you aren't that kind of writer. Which SW isn't.

That all being said, HCE is definitely a "prog" album. At least, I don't see how it's not. But it isn't meant to "cater" to anyone in the first place.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1776 on: July 03, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »
I fell asleep a little during the interview but enjoyed it overall. Loved what he had to say about the album, about isolation in the city, etc. Also interesting points about rock stars being gods in the past, compared to Ozzy Osbourne now  :lol
Of course I adore him with all my heart, but he frequently comes across as a bit pretentious. "I genuinely don't understand why there aren't more people like me."  Umm...
I also think he's a bit off the mark with what he says about other forms of art and interpretation. I'm actually surprised to hear him say stuff like that, since I think he's pretty into film. Film and literature often involve just as much interpretation as music. Maybe not the big blockbusters or things on the Orpah list, but then again, how much interpretation does your average pop song require? Or a song like... oh, I dunno, "Go to Hell" by Blackfield? (I know he didn't write it, but it's a project he's been highly involved in with an artist he's very close with)  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1777 on: July 03, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »
He sure does love to mention over and over how an unnamed member of PT hates jazz, doesn't he? :lol :lol

Personally, as good as the band he has right now is, I'd love to see him start getting different players for every solo album.  Would keep things ever-fresh.  Granted, the players he has now are beyond great, and if he keeps it going with them on the next album, I'll be more than happy. :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1778 on: July 03, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
I see what you're seeing, Kev. To me he hasn't hit saturation yet though, so I'm all for another album in this configuration.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1779 on: July 04, 2015, 01:10:58 AM »
I feel like the jazz-argument gets weaker and weaker with every new album he releases. It was fine during Grace, that album has some jazzy moments, and I could even buy it for Raven, because Holy Drinker had some jazz-vibes going on, but there's nothing jazz about HCE, and if this is a direction he will continue in (though with some minor changes), the next one will probably be even further from jazz.

I didn't listen to the 45 minute interview yet, but from the posts above it sounds like he's basically going over the same topics he usually talks about. :P

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1780 on: July 04, 2015, 07:26:34 AM »
I'm pretty torn with HCE... I found Raven to be stunning, one of the most flawless albums I've ever known. I loved Grace, thought it had some blinding moments on it, and thought Insurgentes was excellent in parts. HCE has some fantastic songs on it too (Ancestral gives me full body goosebumps and Happy Returns actually made me cry the first time I heard it, Home Invasion is awesome, but I'm kinda netural about most of the other songs) but I'm not as keen on it as a whole. I don't really find the album is too heavy on emotional pull throughout for some reason, so it falls a bit flat. But the standout songs are really great so I would say I like it overall, I'd just place it last on my list of favourite SW records.

Hasn't stopped me from going to see him twice on the HCE tour though, or booking to see him both nights at the Royal Albert Hall later this year and another show in London next January... Seriously, all my disposable income seems to be going on Wilson at the minute!
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1781 on: July 04, 2015, 08:44:35 AM »
I definitely think HCE suffers from a lack of really good songs. Most of them are good, but they aren't great. I do have a certain appreciation for Routine, which in my opinion is a really lovely song and the heart and soul of the album. But otherwise I feel it's similar to The Incident, flows great as an album and enjoyable overall (with an interesting theme), but lacking those clear standouts. A song like Ancestral starts off really promising, but the second half is just another prog instrumental that doesn't really go anywhere unfortunately. Happy Returns is a good ballad, but it really pales in comparison to songs like The Raven That Refused to Sing, Deform to Form a Star, or even Insurgentes. Heck, you can even go back to the PT catalog and it pales compared to most of their piano ballads.

It's definitely not a bad album though, certainly enjoyable. It does feel like it could have been a PT album though. Honestly, I would be interested in seeing Richard/Gavin/Colin's take on this music, much rather than hearing his solo band doing their usual prog thing when the songs allow it. His weakest solo album, but I do feel like the direction could be promising. While HCE wasn't as good as I hoped for, it was a step in a new direction, and I think with another album, SW could find something even more special. (hopefully)

However I have noticed that he has changed a bit as a person, something noticeable in interviews and live shows, and I'm not sure if all of it is for the best. It's great that he's coming out of his shell, enjoying talking to the audience more, but it does feel a bit scripted. With some bands like Opeth, I have read about various live shows and the banter between songs, and a lot of it seems very spontaneous. You had to be there, and in the right moment something unique was said. Reading about SW concerts, he has pretty much said the same things on all shows, with maybe a few very minor differences. I also don't like it when he bashes PT. Even if he feels the way he does, it does feel like a stab in the heart, being a PT/SW fan, to hear him say all the negative stuff about his former band. Fine if you prefer doing your solo thing, but there's no need to throw those jabs at PT.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1782 on: July 04, 2015, 08:50:51 AM »
I don't understand why Wilson always tries to pass off "prog" as "jazz". Does he really hate the p-word that much? His albums are prog. GFD is prog, not jazz. If you showed it to a prog fan they'd be like "that's prog" and if you showed it to a jazz fan they'd say "that's prog".

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1783 on: July 04, 2015, 08:51:52 AM »
Happy Returns is a good ballad, but it really pales in comparison to songs like The Raven That Refused to Sing, Deform to Form a Star, or even Insurgentes. Heck, you can even go back to the PT catalog and it pales compared to most of their piano ballads.

I may be in minority, but for me Happy Returns is better than all those songs, and also my favourite on HCE.

And I like Raven (the album) more than HCE, so it's not like I'm overly biased on that matter.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1784 on: July 04, 2015, 09:06:09 AM »
I don't understand why Wilson always tries to pass off "prog" as "jazz". Does he really hate the p-word that much? His albums are prog. GFD is prog, not jazz. If you showed it to a prog fan they'd be like "that's prog" and if you showed it to a jazz fan they'd say "that's prog".

For some reason I think attaching "jazz" to it makes it sound like it's something more than it is. After all, SW has been making progressive rock since the 90s, adding "jazz" to GfD makes it stand out, on paper at least.