Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 375380 times)

Online SoundscapeMN

Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1645 on: June 10, 2015, 08:56:01 PM »
That Drummer Guy interviews Steven Wilson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWBK5XGwLxU

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1646 on: June 10, 2015, 11:54:46 PM »
That Drummer Guy interviews Steven Wilson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWBK5XGwLxU

Nice. What I liked most of all of that is that he sounds so passionate about the here and now and what the future holds for his solo material. Doesn't sound like he has any plans on throwing in the towel on his solo career anytime soon, and that we will see many more solo albums to come in the future. This is a fantastic thought. Also, I think it's awesome that he puts so much effort into designing a complete experience from the moment you arrive at the venue to the moment you walk out. Perfect evening with experience.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #1647 on: June 11, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »
What exactly happens in the Routine video? I've heard the song is about a mom whose husband and children were killed, but I've read many comments about the video.

I think what made the video extra depressing is the fact that it reveals that they were killed in a school shooting. Children dying is depressing enough, but having it be a school shooting that caused it is extra fucked up.
I missed that part of the video.  I hadn't put much thought into the lyrics prior to the show.  I guess I had been thinking the mother had been divorced and no longer had the children with her.  The video was extremely sad, more so from the fact that I have kids 5 and 3 years old so I can't imagine going through something like that.

I cried/teared up about five times. I wasn't expecting to hear Lazarus, so that really got me (as did Routine, Ancestral, Happy Returns and Raven).
I'll admit I was sobbing during Happy Returns but that song frequently does that to me.  It makes me think of a family member who is closed off a lot of the time and I can imagine them writing something like the lyrics in the song and never sending it.

Anyway onto less depressing thoughts.  :)  I thought the show was really awesome.  Probably not as awesome as the last tour but I still have a slight preference for the Raven anyway which taints that a bit.  As usual his banter on stage was a lot of fun. 

The new song/material was really interesting.  I'm not sure if it will be on the next album since he said it was a leftover from the new album.  In any case hopefully it gets an official release. 

I do find it interesting that his stance towards Porcupine Tree music has changed.  Last tour he said he didn't feel bad taking stuff from the Porcupine Tree albums that were more solo work and the ones he played this time around certainly didn't fall into that category.  I did go back and look at other sets and see that he did an acoustic version of Trains at some shows.  That would have been cool.  And apparently some shows got "How is your Life Today" in place of "Lazarus". 

It was cool to meet up with you and your friend Jackie.  Lots of good conversation and laughs prior to the show. 

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #1648 on: June 11, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »
Hey guys, glad you're digging the interview.

I am still around, but I've been extremely busy the first half of the year, all winding up with me FINALLY moving to Minnesota (about 15 minutes from 80% of the venues I go to here). I still have a few boxes and pieces of furniture to go, then set up internet and BOOM, I'll be back.

The interview was a bit last minute for me. It wasn't till the Thursday night before the show that I was told by Steven's PR that HE wanted ME to interview him (not the other way around, well obviously that too, but his PR sent me the first email). I was hoping to do it at the show on Sunday, but due to time restraints I wasn't able to make it happen. So it got moved to yesterday where I had to make a makeshift studio setup with my phone, the mic I use to record my radio show and my computer that is about to die. I think it turned out great and once I get set up tp do it again, I definitely plan on doing more phone interviews, it was a hell of a lot of fun.

The only downside is that I didn't get to ask nearly the amount I wanted to and you can tell that right as i hit the vein of some killer stuff to talk about, it was over (I edited out the part where his PR told me I had to stop so he could go to the next interview). But I know this won't be the last time I get to do this, so I have much more to talk about on the horizon.

And I will be back! I promise!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1649 on: June 11, 2015, 09:23:19 PM »

It was cool to meet up with you and your friend Jackie.  Lots of good conversation and laughs prior to the show.

Same to you!

As for Routine, the deluxe edition tells you about the school shooting, so that part wasn't surprising to me. The video was quite sad, though not as heartbreaking as some people seem to think. Maybe it's different for those who didn't know the entire context before.

As for his banter, that was great. When he flipped off the people from Texas and said "We came from England,"  :lol

I would've been thrilled with Trains or How Is Your Life Today, but I'm really glad we got Lazarus  :heart
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1650 on: June 11, 2015, 09:55:52 PM »
He is playing Lazarus at every show on this tour. I was fortunate enough to see him twice (in Newark, NJ and NYC) and for whatever reason, I lucked out with the extended set list with How Is Your Life Today? and Trains at both shows. It is unfortunate that he isn't playing them at every show on this tour, but I'm thrilled that I got to see them  :hefdaddy

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: June 12, 2015, 12:07:11 PM »
i dunno, "Lazarus" seems to be swapped out for the medley of HCE leftovers, and i think i'd rather hear that, personally!

hopefully he includes a studio version somewhere (but i'm sure there'll be a Bluray for this tour that includes it, given the live stream thing)!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1652 on: June 12, 2015, 01:47:48 PM »
Holy crap, good thing I checked this thread! It just popped into my mind that SW's online stream is happening tomorrow.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1653 on: June 12, 2015, 08:18:15 PM »
i dunno, "Lazarus" seems to be swapped out for the medley of HCE leftovers, and i think i'd rather hear that, personally!

hopefully he includes a studio version somewhere (but i'm sure there'll be a Bluray for this tour that includes it, given the live stream thing)!

According to setlist.fm, the only show on this tour that Lazarus was not played at was the 2nd show in Chicago on June 5th. I wasn't a huge fan of the song prior to the show but seeing it live made me appreciate the song a lot more.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1654 on: June 13, 2015, 07:21:57 AM »
So I thought the live stream was yesterday and I woke up at 5AM just to see it, only to find out that it was 24 hours later. Still excited tho  :lol
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1655 on: June 13, 2015, 07:28:15 AM »
So I thought the live stream was yesterday and I woke up at 5AM just to see it, only to find out that it was 24 hours later. Still excited tho  :lol

Son of a..........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1656 on: June 13, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »
I'm getting together with some friends tonight to watch the stream, can't wait  :metal

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1657 on: June 13, 2015, 12:10:33 PM »
All righty, then.  Less than 9 hours to go.  I don't know what to do till then.  I might as well relisten to Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Here's the link though.

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/steven-wilson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1658 on: June 13, 2015, 12:12:41 PM »
:caffeine:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1659 on: June 13, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
It'll go up at 6 a.m. for me, not sure if I should try to watch it, it's Sunday morning after all, I want to get some sleep after a six day working week, haha. Are we sure there's no repeated streams after that?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1660 on: June 13, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
So very excited.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1661 on: June 13, 2015, 03:04:44 PM »
It'll go up at 6 a.m. for me, not sure if I should try to watch it, it's Sunday morning after all, I want to get some sleep after a six day working week, haha. Are we sure there's no repeated streams after that?

I think there's bound to be 24 hours worth of replays on the same channel after the live stream is down.  We'll see.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1662 on: June 13, 2015, 05:29:51 PM »
Fuck.

Stuck working late.  I should be home an hour before the stream begins but there is a chance that I won't.

Fuck
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Rob801

« Reply #1663 on: June 13, 2015, 08:57:05 PM »

Son of a..........
i wasn't a day early but I thought it was going to be at 4 am my time so set the alarm to 3:30 (to get a couple snoozes in) and found out it is at 5  :facepalm:. Not what I needed since working almost non stop 12 hour days on my house to meget the deadline... What i wont do to see SW  :hefdaddy

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1664 on: June 13, 2015, 09:02:23 PM »
Is the show starting?  All I see on the screen is the stage with some buildings on the big screen.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1665 on: June 13, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »
It's starting! I haven't been this excited since the day Systematic Chaos came out.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: June 13, 2015, 09:05:50 PM »
YES

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1667 on: June 13, 2015, 09:10:41 PM »
I don't like what Steven added there.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: June 13, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »
Fist pumping

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1669 on: June 13, 2015, 09:27:31 PM »
I think I'm going to have a good time here and they are only three songs in.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1670 on: June 13, 2015, 09:29:23 PM »
I just can't believe I'm getting this free entertainment right now. It doesn't add up in my brain.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1671 on: June 13, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »
Man, he's got a good point about happy music being depressing.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1672 on: June 13, 2015, 09:36:50 PM »
"The saddest songs should also be the most beautiful and uplifting" Throwback to Warszawa, that's what Steven said before playing Stop Swimming  ;D
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1673 on: June 13, 2015, 09:44:36 PM »
Jesus, that was something else.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: June 13, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »
INDEX

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online faizoff

« Reply #1675 on: June 13, 2015, 09:48:35 PM »
The performances have been fantastic so far. The rendition of Perfect Life was so much more livelier and I think I prefer it to the studio version.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1676 on: June 13, 2015, 09:49:12 PM »
Steven's my hero, he's exactly what every touring musician should be. He makes the songs different and fresh in a live context. This is awe-inspiring.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: June 13, 2015, 09:50:07 PM »
Lol

Steven on bass

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: June 13, 2015, 09:50:54 PM »
the "Index" remix has world's most pretentious opening! he's outdone himself there :p

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1679 on: June 13, 2015, 09:51:50 PM »
Nice of Steven to point up to the heavens in honor of the diseased and rotting Porcupine Tree

:(