Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 375824 times)

Offline Xanthul

Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1540 on: April 28, 2015, 02:45:14 AM »
I just read an interview with him yesterday in which he says live videos are boring to him, so I wouldn't hold my breath for another one, especially when Get All You Deserve is somewhat recent. Between that and Drive Home the first three albums are pretty covered, a new live DVD would just be HCE plus some repeated songs from the previous albums and maybe 1 or 2 new ones.

He mentioned Heima (by Sigur Ros) as the sort of video that's interesting to him because it's different, not just footage from a single concert. I would freaking love it if he did something conceptually different in that vein, not necessarily exactly like Heima but with the same scope.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1541 on: April 28, 2015, 02:55:41 AM »
Heima is one of those "one of a kind" experiences, and I don't know if SW, or anyone for that fact could come close to capturing that kind of magic. Sigur Rós is a very unique, down to earth band, and that in combination with them being from Iceland and embracing the very unique essence of their home resulted in something really special.

I think SW will put out another live album, but my guess would be after the next studio album.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1542 on: April 28, 2015, 06:23:38 AM »
I just read an interview with him yesterday in which he says live videos are boring to him, so I wouldn't hold my breath for another one, especially when Get All You Deserve is somewhat recent. Between that and Drive Home the first three albums are pretty covered, a new live DVD would just be HCE plus some repeated songs from the previous albums and maybe 1 or 2 new ones.

He could release the HCE material only, just like PT's Octane Twisted.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1543 on: April 28, 2015, 08:32:39 AM »
Didn't he not want to release Octane Twisted?

I just got my vinyl copy of his electronic music release, can't wait to listen to it!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1544 on: April 28, 2015, 08:43:30 AM »
I bought Octane Twisted but I gave it just one quick listen. Subpar audio compared to the usual PT standards.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1545 on: April 28, 2015, 08:45:23 AM »
I think Octane Twisted was released mainly because the label pushed for it, and not because SW wanted to release it. If I'm not mistaken, SW also had less involvement and the sound quality of Octane Twisted is not as good as other recent SW/PT live releases, which makes me think he wasn't involved at all, or just didn't put the most effort into it.

It kinda felt like the label pushing to release another PT album to keep the name alive and relevant, since SW had at that point already gone 100% into his solo career.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1546 on: April 28, 2015, 08:55:12 AM »
He was outvoted by the other band members in releasing it. He didn't want it to be released.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1547 on: April 28, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »
Heima is one of those "one of a kind" experiences, and I don't know if SW, or anyone for that fact could come close to capturing that kind of magic. Sigur Rós is a very unique, down to earth band, and that in combination with them being from Iceland and embracing the very unique essence of their home resulted in something really special.

I think SW will put out another live album, but my guess would be after the next studio album.

I think he was referring more to the idea of doing a documentary/film rather than just straight concert footage, not specifically doing something exactly like Heima.

Here is the link but the interview is only in Spanish (it's from the chilean PT fanclub facebook page), they haven't posted an English version afaik.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/porcupine-tree-chile/entrevista-exclusiva-a-steven-wilson/886652428042874

My attempt at translating this question specifically:

PTChile: Ahora tengo algunas preguntas al azar. ¿Se grabarán los shows en el Royal Albert Hall? ¿Hay algún plan de lanzar un DVD en vivo en el futuro?

Steve: No, no serán grabados. No tengo ningún plan de lanzar un DVD en vivo. ¿Sabes qué? tengo sentimientos encontrados con los DVD en vivo. Hice uno muy temprano en mi carrera solista. Es levemente insatisfactorio hacer un DVD en vivo, sobretodo en un show como éste, que es un show muy envolvente y visual, tiene sonido cuadrafónico, tiene muchos videos y proyecciones en distintas pantallas. Es muy difícil encapsular todo en un DVD de alguna forma y creo que en este último tiempo hay una tendencia en que las bandas lanzan un DVD en vivo con cada álbum que sacan. ¿Sabes de qué estoy hablando? Y creo que a veces es mucho. Una parte de mí dice “¿Sabes qué? Si quieres ver el show, ¡ven a verlo!”. Y otra parte dice “OK, pero no todos pueden ir a ver el show, gente que vive en, no sé, Pakistán, nunca va a ver el show”. Así que también entiendo eso. Creo que un evento como el Royal Albert Hall va a ser eso, un evento. Tienes que estar ahí. Podría grabarlo y lanzarlo, pero una parte de mí piensa “no, hay que estar ahí esa noche”. Creo que si vamos a hacer algún tipo de lanzamiento en vivo, me gustaría hacer algo realmente extraordinario. ¿Has visto el DVD en vivo que hizo Sigur Ros? (Heima) es increíble. Hacen cada canción en un ambiente distinto, hacen uno donde están literalmente en la ladera de una montaña, y luego otra donde están en una sala de clases, vuelven a su vieja escuela y la graban en su sala. No hay público y cada canción tiene alguna ubicación física y un contexto y me encanta lo que hicieron con eso, porque le da un vuelco a toda esta idea. Digamos que no creo estar interesado en hacer un DVD genérico, eso es aburrido para mí. Pero sí sé que hay expectación y algunos quieren alguna especie de lanzamiento pero realmente deberían venir al show si pueden.

PTChile: I've got some random questions now. Will the Royal Albert Hall shows be recorded? Is there any plan to release a live DVD in the future?

Steve: No, they will not be recorded. I don't have any plans to release a live DVD. You know what? I have mixed feelings with live DVDs. I did one very early in my solo career. It's somewhat unsatisfactory to do a live DVD, especially in a show like this, which is a very surrounding and visual one, has quadraphonic sound, has a lot of video and projections in different screens. It's very difficult to encapsulate all of this in a DVD somewhow and I think lately there's a tendency for bands to release a live DVD with each album. You know what I mean? And I think it's sometimes too much. Part of me says "You know what? If you want to see the show, come see it!" And another part says "OK, but not everybody can attend the show, people that live, I don't know, in Pakistan, they can never attend the show". So I understand that part too. I think an event like the RAH shows will be that, an event. You have to be there. I could record it and release it, but part of me thinks "no, you have to be there that night". I think that if we are going to do some kind of live release, I'd like to do something really extraordinary. Have you watched the live DVD that Sigur Ros did? (Heima) It's incredible. They perform each song in a different setting, they do one literally in the slopes of a mountain and then another in a classroom, going back to their old school and recording a song there. There's no audience and each song has a specific location and context and I love what they did with that, because it turns the whole idea upside down. Let's just say I don't think I'm interested in a generic DVD, that's boring to me. But I acknowledge there's an expectation and some people want some kind of release but they really should attend the show if possible

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1548 on: April 28, 2015, 07:33:05 PM »
I wouldn't mind if SW releases a track or two from the tour on his Soundcloud like he did with Radioactive Toy live at the RAH.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1549 on: April 29, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »
Just came in to say that Guthrie's guitar sound is outstanding, particularly during the solo in Regret #9. Screw "chocolate cake" or whatever, that sound on HCE is where it's at.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1550 on: April 29, 2015, 06:24:55 PM »
Those who have been to US shows, how are the replacement players doing?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1551 on: April 30, 2015, 12:35:46 AM »
I don't think he's been here yet.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1552 on: May 02, 2015, 07:12:31 AM »

Sorry if this is irrelevant and/or immature, i'm just  :rollin
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1553 on: May 02, 2015, 07:20:07 AM »
Wut
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1555 on: May 02, 2015, 11:38:28 AM »
:zydar:

Offline emtee

« Reply #1556 on: May 11, 2015, 06:16:08 PM »
I finally had a chance to dedicate some "Me" time to sit down with album alone and no distractions. I had spun it several times already
but this was different. It was like the old days of getting a new vinyl album. I pulled out the liner notes and read the lyrics along with
blasting the music and I really don't have the right words to describe how much this album moves me. This man has a very unique ability
to reach down and give my soul a ride...only Pink Floyd hits me on the level SW has recently. I could say it's 10/10 but that still
does not describe how breathtaking this piece of music is. Couple this album with TRtRtS and some of of PT material and I thing
I would have to say he is my favorite musician right now. I'm actually speechless trying to find to words to describe this album.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1557 on: May 12, 2015, 03:39:03 AM »
 :tup I need to listen to HCE again. I still think it's amazing, but I want to take the time for it instead of just putting it on when I'm doing something completely different in the meantime.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1558 on: May 12, 2015, 05:19:59 PM »
It was all I listened to for about a month, and now I probably haven't listened to it in over a month because I sort of overdid it. I'll come back to it when the Boulder concert gets closer  :D

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1559 on: May 13, 2015, 01:35:03 AM »
It was all I listened to for about a month, and now I probably haven't listened to it in over a month because I sort of overdid it. I'll come back to it when the Boulder concert gets closer  :D

Yeah, exactly that. And I've already promised myself that the next time I'll listen to it will be sort of like a second virginity. Again with the book, immersing myself with the album.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1560 on: May 13, 2015, 04:27:34 AM »
I very rarely get burned out on albums, but I think that's mainly because I only listen to an album once per day, and when you listen to music 9-10 hours a day, that one album is hard to burn out on. For me it's more an issue of life length. Some albums keep a solid spot and I rotate them frequently, others fade into oblivion. Grace For Drowning was played frequently the whole year it came out, and I still listen to it whenever I want some SW solo music. Raven had slightly shorter life length for me, but still holds up fairly well, and I liked it more upon revisiting it after HCE came out. HCE was great for a few weeks, but I don't see myself returning to it much more, maybe just to see how it holds up in a year. Not a bad album, just nothing noteworthy to bring me back. If I want my SW fix, I will most likely turn to the best of PT, or his first two solo albums, which are just incredible.  :heart

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1561 on: May 13, 2015, 09:35:43 AM »
[...] and when you listen to music 9-10 hours a day...
:|

I hope you aren't actually listening to music for that insane amount of time. I can barely listen to 3 albums per day before my head (and ears) start hurting :-[ .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1562 on: May 13, 2015, 09:42:42 AM »
I don't get the chance to listen to music that much any more.  But in my formative years, I listened to music AT LEAST that much. 

Not only that, but I was such an addict that when I couldn't listen to music, I would have it in my head, and would often hum without realizing it.   This was a common complaint from teachers.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1563 on: May 13, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »
I don't think it's that much. But I think the fact that I listen to so many different music styles makes it easier. There is no way I could sit through 9-10 hours of the same music in one day. Variety makes it easier and more enjoyable.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: May 13, 2015, 10:07:16 AM »
I agree with that.  It all depends on my mood.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: May 13, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »
I don't think it's that much. But I think the fact that I listen to so many different music styles makes it easier. There is no way I could sit through 9-10 hours of the same music in one day. Variety makes it easier and more enjoyable.
Oh totally agree with this point on variety, but I was talking heath-wise - I guess it depends on everyone's ears, but such amount of music seems a bit too much for me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:49:23 PM by Sacul »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1566 on: May 13, 2015, 12:58:45 PM »
I'm seeing Steven Wilson this Friday for third time (fifth if you count the two PT shows I went to in 2007 and 2010 respectively). I'm excited as hell, I love hand.cannot.erase so much.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Newmz

« Reply #1567 on: May 22, 2015, 12:54:41 AM »
I just saw him in Albany for the first time. I had never been to any of either his or porcupine tree's shows.

it was a great show - absolutely - but does he always do that weird stuff with his hands? he was flaring them and clenching them and pointing at the drummer and all that other stuff when he wasn't playing. it seemed a little goofy to me  :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1568 on: May 22, 2015, 02:22:46 AM »
Yeah, that's a part of his performance. It makes him look even more eccentric and weird, which can't be bad.  :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1569 on: May 22, 2015, 02:25:31 AM »
He's just being expressive.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1570 on: May 22, 2015, 04:34:16 AM »
He started doing that with his solo band. I saw him with PT in 2009 and he did nothing like that back then. But when I saw him on the GFD tour in 2011, he was flailing all over the place.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1571 on: May 22, 2015, 06:51:16 AM »
Not sure that's right Jimmy, he definitely did a fair bit the times I saw PT. Not saying he doesn't do MORE of it now though, I haven't seen his solo band live.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1572 on: May 22, 2015, 07:11:31 AM »
absolutely nothing he did in PT live shows is comparable.

i think it's because he doesn't constantly have a guitar to play for every song. he probably had the aesthetic direction to do weird shit with PT but couldn't out of practicality, so you'd just get the weird hand points with the pick between his fingers, and only when he had a break from playing.

now he's pretty free for a lot of moments just to sing. seems like he plays more keyboards than guitar, too!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: May 22, 2015, 07:16:08 AM »
My turn tonight!  Second time seeing him solo!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1574 on: May 22, 2015, 07:45:17 AM »
seasonsinthesky is probably on point. With PT he was always playing something (piano, keys or guitar) and it didn't allow him to do those things.