Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 372102 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1120 on: March 11, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »
I like some of the No-Man stuff a lot, but I rarely listen to it simply because there is only so much time per week for me to listen to tunes and SW has too much other stuff that is better for when I want my fix.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1121 on: March 11, 2015, 08:24:03 PM »
I once tried to get into No-Man, and realized about a month later that I had bought a bunch of albums by Nosound. Still need to take an actual crack at No-Man someday.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1122 on: March 11, 2015, 08:26:02 PM »
No-Man are awesome. Flowermouth and Returning Jesus are great albums.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1123 on: March 11, 2015, 08:38:27 PM »
This is off topic but does anyone listen to No-Man, how are they and how do they compare with SW/PT?

Has anyone seen or bought the No-Man Mixtaped documentary DVD?

Mixtaped is great, but not a great intro to the band. try Together We're Stranger, especially if you're familiar with Bass Communion.

or, if you'd rather do the compilation route, All the Blue Changes is an excellently well made one.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1124 on: March 11, 2015, 08:39:23 PM »
He thanks Gavin in the liner notes. Maybe I missed something in the song credits, but I wonder he did to be thanked in the liner notes.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1125 on: March 11, 2015, 09:29:44 PM »
Regret #9, oh my god...

I love Home Invasion.

This is a great concept album, musically and lyrically.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1126 on: March 11, 2015, 10:46:31 PM »
RE: No-Man - Apart from SW's solo career and PT, I find that I enjoy No-Man the most after those two aforementioned discographies. From Flowermouth onward, there's some great music on each album, although I'm partial to Together We're Stranger and Schoolyard Ghosts, which came out about 7 years ago (which is REALLY hard to believe). It's sad that with SW's solo career, there will likely never be another No-Man album any time soon, although Tim Bowness released a great album last year.

I'm not sure why, but the music of No-Man just hits me harder than other things like IEM or Bass Communion, which just aren't for me. I get why some might like them and what their appeal might be to certain music lovers, but the ambient, drone stuff just doesn't do it for me. I like great SONGS with good lyrics, hooks, drum beats and grooves, and most of the stuff that SW does in those groups just doesn't have it, so after PT, Blackfield, No-Man and SW's solo career, I just sort of stopped with SW's other projects, but to be honest, between those four discographies alone, there's still SO MUCH GOOD MUSIC that I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything huge in regards to SW's output.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1127 on: March 11, 2015, 11:16:36 PM »
Man...This story is sad....Good, beautiful, heartening, music.

This is my first AOTY...Ever.. It's that good folks.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1128 on: March 12, 2015, 12:55:12 AM »
No-Man is awesome. Schoolyard Ghosts is a true gem, and I would rate it among his top6 albums or something.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #1129 on: March 12, 2015, 01:49:05 AM »
It's been two weeks today since mine was posted and I still don't have it (and I'm not on the other side of the Atlantic but a four hour boat ride from the UK) :-(.

I wrote to BS yesterday and they are still assuring me that as long as my address was correct (which of course it was) that I should get it.

Like someone else mentioned I really wish they had included a download code for pre orders (redeemable on release day). It REALLY sucks that I can't even listen to the album and participate in the discussion going on here (doing my best to avoid story details) without buying it again or pirating it (I don't want to do either).

On a side note pictures are up on SWs site from production rehearsals... Can't wait to see him in April!!!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1130 on: March 12, 2015, 02:51:56 AM »
...long story... mentions Flowermouth, Together We're Stranger and Schoolyard Ghosts...

Yes, exactly that! I even think I like No Man more than Porcupine Tree.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1131 on: March 12, 2015, 03:01:48 AM »
As I enjoy SW the vocalist more, it's taken me longer to get into No-Man than his other projects.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1132 on: March 12, 2015, 06:13:55 AM »
So tonight is the first show of the tour, wonder what the setlist will look like.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1133 on: March 12, 2015, 08:19:26 AM »
So tonight is the first show of the tour, wonder what the setlist will look like.

Everybody PLEASE spoiler warn before posting anything set related. I'm seeing him two weeks from now and I prefer to be surprised.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: March 12, 2015, 08:23:52 AM »

I'm hoping he plays the entire album start to finish.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1135 on: March 12, 2015, 08:24:29 AM »

Everybody PLEASE spoiler warn before posting anything set related. I'm seeing him two weeks from now and I prefer to be surprised.

Agreed. I will probably be avoiding the setlists, though of course I know it'll be a lot of new stuff. Can't fucking wait, and it's three more months!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1136 on: March 12, 2015, 09:37:10 AM »

That would be neat, but without Ninet and Theo? I guess it's still doable.

I'd also like to not get the setlist spoiled but I know I'm not strong enough  :lol

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1137 on: March 12, 2015, 09:58:12 AM »
Yeah lets avoid posting the set lists here if that's cool.

If anyone IS curious, it should be on setlist.fm very soon. 

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1138 on: March 12, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »

Yes please.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #1139 on: March 12, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »

I'd also like to not get the setlist spoiled but I know I'm not strong enough  :lol
Is Theo not touring with him this time?  I hadn't heard that confirmed anywhere.  Only thing I heard about the tour is that he got replacements for Marco and Guthrie for the Americas/Canada tour.  I get that most of the new album doesn't have him on it, but there is plenty of material from older records where I don't see how they do it without a wind player.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1140 on: March 12, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »

Is Theo not touring with him this time?  I hadn't heard that confirmed anywhere.  Only thing I heard about the tour is that he got replacements for Marco and Guthrie for the Americas/Canada tour.  I get that most of the new album doesn't have him on it, but there is plenty of material from older records where I don't see how they do it without a wind player.

I'm not a hundred percent certain, but I recall Steven mentioning it, plus I haven't seen him on Lasse Hoiles pictures of them rehearsing.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1141 on: March 12, 2015, 01:54:11 PM »
I remember Steven mentioning that Theo wasn't needed as much in the recording of the album... hence the reason he is listed as an extra musician or something in the notes.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1142 on: March 12, 2015, 03:03:07 PM »
Little bit of a PSA a moment.

This is the Steven Wilson thread. People are going to talk about the Steven Wilson tour. If people choose to try and keep any big spoilers hidden that's up to them and fine. But the onus is on people who don't want it spoiled not to visit the thread until their show if they truly want to be spoiler free. Please do not come in here, have something spoiled, and complain about it. Avoid the thread till your show.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1143 on: March 12, 2015, 03:05:51 PM »
That's right, Nick. If I was afraid of having the setlist spoiled I would stay as far away from the thread as possible.

With that being said, since it's really not an inconvenience for me, I'm going to use the tiny text anyways.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: March 12, 2015, 03:59:45 PM »
I'm not sure why, but the music of No-Man just hits me harder than other things like IEM or Bass Communion, which just aren't for me.

y'know, i think the reason i enjoy No-Man so much is that it's like looking at SW's work through a whole other perspective. the way he's reworked PT and BC stuff into No-Man songs is just a really awesome take on some of his best work – "Mute" vs. "Days in the Trees," "Something Falls" vs. "Spiral Circus," "Wake as Gun" vs. "Jack the Sax," "Drugged" vs. "Together We're Stranger"; it's all the other side of a prolific musician.

everyone at least needs to hear "Truenorth." it's all of No-Man encapsulated in 13 minutes. if you don't like it, you won't like the band.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:29:47 PM by seasonsinthesky »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1145 on: March 12, 2015, 04:18:42 PM »
I really he hopes busts out Track One and/or Salvaging (which would work fine live without the extended string section at the end) on this tour.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1146 on: March 12, 2015, 04:27:20 PM »
I really he hopes busts out Track One and/or Salvaging (which would work fine live without the extended string section at the end) on this tour.

Yes please, these would be great, I'd also like to add Significant Other.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1147 on: March 12, 2015, 04:49:49 PM »
It was only a kind request. I won't get mad if people post the setlist haha.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1148 on: March 12, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »
Setlist seems to be up at setlist.fm, I dig it.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1149 on: March 12, 2015, 06:52:49 PM »
i am very happy with this setlist, its gonna be a great first SW show  :hefdaddy

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1150 on: March 12, 2015, 07:13:35 PM »
Setlist seems to be up at setlist.fm, I dig it.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1151 on: March 12, 2015, 07:21:57 PM »
Indeed. I'm looking forward to it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1152 on: March 12, 2015, 07:34:34 PM »
Just looked at the setlist.  Damn, I was hoping he would come to Atlanta, GA. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1153 on: March 12, 2015, 07:35:51 PM »
Upon seeing the set list... I can say if it stays like this annnnd iiiiffffff I dooooo see him...I'd be satisfied.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1154 on: March 12, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »
Good set list, but seems kind of short.  Only 16 songs, two of which are really short.