Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 372084 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1085 on: March 10, 2015, 03:26:21 AM »
I have no idea what this album is about, other than that is was somewhat inspired by the film 'Dream of a Life' (which I have watched), but from the lyrics I can hear and connect with, I find it hard to make them fit with what was portrayed in that film. That said, I'm not really much of a lyrics person anyway, so I couldn't really care less what they are about (that is; unless they're so blatantly in-your-face bad that you can't ignore them, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this album.

That said, and here comes a statement that's probably made every time this man makes a new album, but I honestly think that after 3-5 listens this is his strongest solo album to date. The album is full of highlights, with the only 'low' point for me being the first quarter/third of 'Ancestral' (the second half however, from the guitar solo on, is gorgeous). My favourite part of the record will have to be the amazing double-punch of 'Home Invasion' and 'Regret #9', the latter being especially great (that guitar solo, holy shit Guthrie Govan I love you.). I'm seeing him live in two weeks and I honestly hope he will play the album in full. It would be quite the experience! :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1086 on: March 10, 2015, 04:26:20 AM »
For me, the weakest point at first was Home Invasion (I didn't like the 'Download...' parts), but you're right, that one-two punch in combination with Regret #9 is amazing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1087 on: March 10, 2015, 04:28:28 AM »
I have no idea what this album is about, other than that is was somewhat inspired by the film 'Dream of a Life' (which I have watched), but from the lyrics I can hear and connect with, I find it hard to make them fit with what was portrayed in that film.

That's the thing. The album is not supposed to be a portrayal of the film. Just inspired by it.

Offline adace

« Reply #1088 on: March 10, 2015, 04:59:12 AM »
Posted my review for the album on my blog. What a masterpiece!

And on the subject of Home Invasion, the way the second half instantly transitions from prog jamming to that gorgeous chorus is just mindblowing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: March 10, 2015, 05:53:41 AM »
The album is full of highlights, with the only 'low' point for me being the first quarter/third of 'Ancestral'

That's actually my favourite section from the album, including the guitar solo.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1090 on: March 10, 2015, 06:31:58 AM »
This album has no weak parts.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1091 on: March 10, 2015, 06:55:07 AM »
I'm not sure whether I like this more than Raven yet. Take out Regret #9 and it's definitely better than Raven. Still need more time to decide for sure.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1092 on: March 10, 2015, 07:47:35 AM »
Take out Regret #9 and it's definitely better than Raven.

What?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: March 10, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
I was wondering, what do you think of the title now? Do you still hate it? I've got used to it, and kind of like it - it gives it a modern artistic air, which fits considering how modern it sounds, and the character's job as a painter.

I love it.  I'm curious about the meaning of the periods between each word in the title.  Anyone have a thought on that?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1094 on: March 10, 2015, 08:10:03 AM »
Ok, I just looked through the booklet and the center of it seems to indicate some sort of Visitors.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1095 on: March 10, 2015, 08:30:32 AM »
I feel like this is probably more cohesive and consistent than Raven, but Raven had a few standout tracks that none of the new tracks comes even close to. Surprisingly enough it's the epics that are among the weaker ones on HCE. Routine is an exception, but Ancestral has 5 great minutes at the start, but once the big climax is over, the song just kinda drifts aimlessly. 3 Years Older is good enough, but I probably prefer Luminol.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1096 on: March 10, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »
Take out Regret #9 and it's definitely better than Raven.

What?
Eh, it just feels kind of pointless. Maybe solos don't speak to me as much as they used to but I find it pretty skippable.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1097 on: March 10, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »
Regret #9 guitar solo is the best solo I've heard in ages, just sayin'.. that's an unskippable part for me, but I get what you're trying to say.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1098 on: March 10, 2015, 11:22:03 AM »
I agree with LLTWM. I appreciate a good solo, of any kind, every now and then, but when you dedicate an entire 5 min track to it, it feels a bit wasteful.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1099 on: March 10, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »
Guys, I think I figured out the story.

It's all just a program of the Dream Sequencer.

Well, I can sleep easy now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #1100 on: March 10, 2015, 11:57:39 AM »
Guys, I think I figured out the story.

It's all just a program of the Dream Sequencer.

Well, I can sleep easy now.

/thread
 :rollin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1101 on: March 10, 2015, 01:20:05 PM »
I agree with LLTWM. I appreciate a good solo, of any kind, every now and then, but when you dedicate an entire 5 min track to it, it feels a bit wasteful.
Yeah that's basically how I feel. Just kind of excessive.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #1102 on: March 10, 2015, 01:42:21 PM »
I got my copy last Thursday.  And I share my disappointment with the rest of you about Burning Shed.  Annoying to have it be delayed so much.  And the Bluray version I got had a download code.  It would have been nice if they could have sent that ahead of time to my email so I could enjoy the album prior to getting my Bluray.  In contrast, last year I bought an album by a fairly small band called Cea Serin as soon as the preorders were available.  It took a couple months for the CD to show up but I was immediately given access to the album on FLAC which also had a PDF of the liner.

Anyway onto the album itself.  I was hesitant when listening to this as Raven is easily my favorite album of the last 10 years.  So I was worried I would be letdown and fortunately I was not!  This album is extremely good though I might like Raven better.   Time will tell.  The highlights for me are definitely Regret #9, Ancestral, and Happy Returns.  That's not to say I don't like the rest of the album, it is just those tracks that stand out the most for me.  The guitar solos on both Regret #9 and Ancestral are absolutely amazing.  The solo on Ancestral in particular might be the best guitar solo I've ever heard.  And I love the moog solo on Regret #9.  In someone ways it reminds me of Zappa's "Sy-Borg" but it is so much better than that solo. 

The title track is really good though I'm still not sure exactly what "Hand cannot erase this love" even means.   I like the Yes elements on 3 Years Older.  I imagine that is his 5.1 work on their catalog rubbing off.  Much like his work with KC rubbed off on parts of Grace for Drowning.

Speaking of 5.1, the 5.1 mix of this album sounds awesome though at this point I'd be very surprised if it didn't.  Steven just has a great knack for it.

I'll probably be avoiding this thread once the tour starts in a couple of days.  I really don't want any spoilers when I see them in Boulder in June.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1103 on: March 10, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »
having never seen SW live before I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on this...
how does he perform songs on his next album while touring for a current album? like playing Luminol on GFD tour, or Ancestral on TRTRTS tour.  Does he just write albums way ahead of when he records them? Id be surprised otherwise, especially in the case of Ancestral, where its a piece of a story that wouldn't have been written yet.  any insight to this?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: March 10, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »
having never seen SW live before I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on this...
how does he perform songs on his next album while touring for a current album? like playing Luminol on GFD tour, or Ancestral on TRTRTS tour.  Does he just write albums way ahead of when he records them? Id be surprised otherwise, especially in the case of Ancestral, where its a piece of a story that wouldn't have been written yet.  any insight to this?

well it has to be written or else they don't have anything to perform, now do they?  :D

have you listened to his demos released with Raven and GFD? he probably sends them to the band once he knows he wants to debut them on tour and they learn them.

as for lyrics, it's very easy to work the whole frame around one or two bits you've got written. that's how longer poems and so on get constructed.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1105 on: March 10, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
Eh, I like Regret #9 and understand if people don't like instrumentals, but it doesn't seem wasteful regardless cuz it's not like SW was desperate to fill disc space or anything. I think it packs an awesome punch given the generally melodic, musically timid feel of HCE. Compared to The Raven, at least, which basically had everyone showing how good they were for most of the album.

But yeah, album/album ending interpretation below for anyone who cares to read  :metal (spoilers of course for anyone avoiding them..?)

The aliens idea is interesting, idk if I'd fly that way :biggrin: It seems unlikely for Steven, but maybe likely at the same time. The space imagery in the blog just gives me that "disappeared" or "drifted away" sense, that she has ascended past the physical world and has simply disappeared or been "erased," ambiguously speaking.
In more non-ambiguous terms, I think she might've offed herself in Ancestral. The growing tension of the ending almost seems to represent suicide. Disturbing, dark, building up and ending on that final burst of action and then nothing, calmness (the clean guitar at the end). That's how I took it, at least.
I interpret Happy Returns as a look in the past of letters she wrote (and perhaps never sent) while she was isolated, perhaps the night before the events of Ancestral. It adds a sense of irony and sadness to wrap up as she says "I bet you thought I was dead, but I'm still here," "I have gifts for them," "I'll finish this tomorrow." Nothing's changed, the years just passed by, etc. etc.
It's really depressing if you look at it that way, that it seemed like she was doing better and planned on going back out and seeing her friends/family, before then declining again and ultimately ending her life the next day (the events of Ancestral). It seemed like in the end she could erase herself, but she could never erase the love she had for her family (hence the title/title track? ). And then Ascendant represents her fading life, and how she's now drifted off and is gone from the "living world," forever erased.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1106 on: March 10, 2015, 10:36:42 PM »
Nel. Buys. Album.

Will. Listen. Soon.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1107 on: March 11, 2015, 12:46:03 AM »
Again, I have no idea what the story should be, but the ending of Ancestral representing suicide is probably a good guess!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #1108 on: March 11, 2015, 12:47:58 AM »
Makes sense, the Ancestral entry on the blog is after the Happy returns one.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1109 on: March 11, 2015, 02:58:44 AM »
Finally, I have bought a new set of in-ears.

BLISS. Now I can appreciate the album fully (and hear the bass drums :p).

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1110 on: March 11, 2015, 06:33:17 AM »
Listened to Key of Skeleton, got Silent Sorrow by The Flower Kings stuck in my head rest of the day! :o

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1111 on: March 11, 2015, 09:04:59 AM »
Theneedledrop review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHShxTVDv7E

Haven't watched it yet, but I'm thinking he'll rate it higher than he rated The Raven, which was like a 5/10 if I recall correctly.

EDIT: Yeah, thought so. He just doesn't dig SW's music, no biggie. At least he can clarify his opinion. I disagree completely, but I think he's an excellent reviewer nonetheless.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:12:51 AM by PixelDream »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1112 on: March 11, 2015, 09:19:36 AM »
Great review as usual from him. I think he puts it pretty perfectly in words. I agree with the negatives and some of the positives, though I was slightly more favorable with my rating. (I would say this album like Raven is somewhere in the 7.5-8 out of 10 region) Pretty good, but not modern day classic.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1113 on: March 11, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »
He's a fantastic reviewer, although I agree with him only in about 50% of cases. And this is obviously not one of those.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1114 on: March 11, 2015, 05:39:03 PM »
Just shoot me:

Order placed
February 20, 2015
Total
CDN$ 28.33
Ship to
-snip-
Order # -snip-

Order Details Invoice

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - Monday, April 20, 2015 by 8:00pm
Track package
Hand Cannot Erase (W/Dvd)
Wilson, Steven
Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc.
Buy it Again

:(

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1115 on: March 11, 2015, 05:42:19 PM »
I get long shipping times, but how could there possibly be such a huge uncertainty on the delivery date? Does Canada get spontaneously and unpredictably larger at times?  :yeahright
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1116 on: March 11, 2015, 05:48:58 PM »
Man, 'First Regret' is such an excellent start. I just love that deep electronic vibe. And the Boards of Canada piano part.. crazy how much it sounds like them. I wouldn't mind if Steven did a full on electronic song-based album.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1117 on: March 11, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »
This is off topic but does anyone listen to No-Man, how are they and how do they compare with SW/PT?

Has anyone seen or bought the No-Man Mixtaped documentary DVD?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1118 on: March 11, 2015, 06:50:45 PM »
No-man is quite a mix of ambient with folk, very minimalistic. The music is beautiful, but I guess you have to like that kind of stuff to get into it.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1119 on: March 11, 2015, 06:51:47 PM »
This is off topic but does anyone listen to No-Man, how are they and how do they compare with SW/PT?

Has anyone seen or bought the No-Man Mixtaped documentary DVD?

I can't get into No-Man no matter how hard I try. It's good.. it sounds good. But I just don't care for it.