Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 372066 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1015 on: March 07, 2015, 08:30:05 AM »
Man, I would have just went and bought the regular CD at the store by now, which you could then give to a friend once your Blu-ray arrives.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1016 on: March 07, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »
I have the tracks sitting on my computer. That's not the problem. SW 5.1 albums are glorious, and I don't intend to listen to the album for the first time any other way.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1017 on: March 07, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »
Wow. Ancestral - Happy Returns - Ascendant Here On... may be my favourite three song run in SW's entire music catalogue. It's just absolutely perfect.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1018 on: March 07, 2015, 09:26:24 AM »
Incredibly frustrating, it better be coming Monday..

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1019 on: March 07, 2015, 03:36:27 PM »
As much as I love his solo work, it'd be awesome if he would bust out some PT tracks other than Trains and Radioactive Toy. I'd imagine a track like Deadwing (underplayed live track; although the first time I went to see PT they opened with it) would sound killer with this band. The solos could be altered to Guthrie's style.. It would be great.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1020 on: March 07, 2015, 03:37:48 PM »
He's built up enough solo songs to not have to do that anymore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1021 on: March 07, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »
It's not like he HAS to do it, but I agree that it would be nice. Considering he isn't very interested in going back to PT (except for maybe a one off thing), it would be a shame if he just disregarded 60-70% of his work of the last 20 years.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1022 on: March 07, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
Right, but he shouldn't really be expected to play the music of a totally different band just because people wanna hear it (especially now that he has four albums of solo material). Don't get me wrong, I was THRILLED to hear the Radioactive Toy encore last time I saw him... but I sorta considered that a special treat and would not expect it at future shows.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1023 on: March 07, 2015, 06:23:03 PM »
Now... the way he opened some of the shows on the last tour with Trains before going in to Luminol... THAT would be cool to see.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1024 on: March 07, 2015, 10:42:18 PM »
Finally listening for the first time now.  Loving 3 Years Older so far.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #1025 on: March 08, 2015, 12:37:08 AM »
Man, I would have just went and bought the regular CD at the store by now, which you could then give to a friend once your Blu-ray arrives.
In my case, sadly, I don't have any friends that are fans (locally). I've been close to buying it on iTunes but hate to fork out extra "krone" when I already paid 60£/100$ for the deluxe (and like Nick, that's not how I want to hear it for the first time).

I just have to be patient and hope it shows up next week... If it doesn't arrive then it will mean it most likely won't show up and then I'll go out and buy the BD version. I just read that 28 days has to pass before I can contact support about a missing order.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #1026 on: March 08, 2015, 12:59:09 AM »
Now... the way he opened some of the shows on the last tour with Trains before going in to Luminol... THAT would be cool to see.
That was really cool, also the way it integrated with the opening video sequence... I was still a new SW fan at that point and wasn't a PT fan yet so probably would have enjoyed it that much more had I been (how I could be 48 at the time, a fairly big prog fan most of my life, and very aware of Gavin Harrison being a drummers drummer and NOT known about SW still kind of amazes me... I was just aware of the name PT but never took the initiative to find out more about them).

Does anyone know if Theo is going to be in the line up because if not he'll probably be focusing on material without so many, if any, wind instruments (Luminol has a bit of winds) and probably why he mentioned there will be songs that haven't been played in a long time (hopefully some PT songs).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 03:31:47 AM by Rob801 »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1027 on: March 08, 2015, 03:39:21 AM »
The press release announcing the new tour said there'd be some surprises from his past in the setlist, which makes me believe we may hear a PT song or two.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1028 on: March 08, 2015, 03:46:11 AM »
I remember him saying he would pull out a couple of PT songs that had a similar vibe to
Hand. Cannot. Erase. He also stated that Theo will not be a part of this tour.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1029 on: March 08, 2015, 05:41:45 AM »

Does anyone know if Theo is going to be in the line up because if not he'll probably be focusing on material without so many, if any, wind instruments (Luminol has a bit of winds) and probably why he mentioned there will be songs that haven't been played in a long time (hopefully some PT songs).

I can't imagine him not playing Ancestral and The Watchmaker, both of which feature wind instruments.  I suspect he will be there. 

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1030 on: March 08, 2015, 05:44:25 AM »
What about Signify, The Sky Moves Sideways, Hatesong, Shesmovedon, Russia On Ice or Buying New Soul? All old PT tracks, and I think they'd fit the show perfectly. And I'd love to see those live!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1031 on: March 08, 2015, 07:20:01 AM »
Hand. Cannot. Erase. just entered the Finnish album chart at #4, which is the highest position for any SW release (including Porcupine Tree albums) to date here! :metal It also topped the Rumba magazine chart, which only counts purchases from independent record stores. Looks like I was correct about there being a buzz :D

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1032 on: March 08, 2015, 07:55:18 AM »
Bought the album from HD Tracks, the best option for us who do not have access to the CD. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1033 on: March 08, 2015, 08:43:04 AM »
What about Signify, The Sky Moves Sideways, Hatesong, Shesmovedon, Russia On Ice or Buying New Soul? All old PT tracks, and I think they'd fit the show perfectly. And I'd love to see those live!

That'd be cool, but he has so much great solo material now that he doesn't need to play PT stuff to make a great set list. 

Personally, I'd love to see him bust out some of his non-album/bonus solo tracks like The Birthday Party, Please Come Home, Collecting Space or Puncture Wound. 

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1034 on: March 08, 2015, 09:52:07 AM »
Just a quick thought for the people saying that Ancestral seems like tow different songs, disjointedly pasted together:

It's the same bassline under Icicles as it is under the King-Crimson-esque section!  It's actually a brilliantly subtle way to tie the two together...very different architecture atop the same foundation.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1035 on: March 08, 2015, 09:59:41 AM »
Good call!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1036 on: March 08, 2015, 10:01:41 AM »

That'd be cool, but he has so much great solo material now that he doesn't need to play PT stuff to make a great set list. 

Personally, I'd love to see him bust out some of his non-album/bonus solo tracks like The Birthday Party, Please Come Home, Collecting Space or Puncture Wound.

Oh totally, he's got enough material for sure, but he has stated that he was bringing back at least one old song, I was just naming a few that would be cool and that would fit.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1037 on: March 08, 2015, 10:29:47 AM »
I would become instantly aroused if Shesmovedon made an appearance at a show I'm at...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1038 on: March 08, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »
It's the same bassline under Icicles as it is under the King-Crimson-esque section!   

Guys, it's not "icicles", it's "a bicycle".  :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1039 on: March 08, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »
(accidental double post)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Onno

« Reply #1040 on: March 08, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »

I think people are taking the Joyce Vincent thing a bit too seriously- it's not supposed to be exactly about that scenario, just inspired by it. Sure those are the last lyrics on the album, but if you read through the deluxe book and blog entries (though I realize not everybody has access to all of this) you will see there's no way she could die at that point, because she makes several entries after that. I suppose maybe the album and book are supposed to be considered two separate pieces of art with two different endings, but I dunno.

There are no blog entries after the 'It's time to leave now' and 'Ascendant Here On...' ones. What more information is in the book? I'm really curious about the entries you mentioned.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1041 on: March 08, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
In the book, they skip all entries between 21st December 2014 and 28th February 2015, there's some weird shit happening between those dates on the blog.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1042 on: March 08, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
Hand. Cannot. Erase. UK chart positions: No. 13 in the main chart, and NO. 1 in the Rock Chart!  :metal

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1043 on: March 08, 2015, 02:02:45 PM »
Hand. Cannot. Erase. UK chart positions: No. 13 in the main chart, and NO. 1 in the Rock Chart!  :metal

How does this compare with previous SW/PT albums in the UK?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1044 on: March 08, 2015, 03:05:46 PM »

Oh totally, he's got enough material for sure, but he has stated that he was bringing back at least one old song, I was just naming a few that would be cool and that would fit.

Understand. :coolio

I would become instantly aroused if Shesmovedon made an appearance at a show I'm at...

If he busted out Waiting, both parts 1 and 2, I would buy a ticket and making travel plans immediately for the nearest show to me after that. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1045 on: March 08, 2015, 06:58:47 PM »

I think people are taking the Joyce Vincent thing a bit too seriously- it's not supposed to be exactly about that scenario, just inspired by it. Sure those are the last lyrics on the album, but if you read through the deluxe book and blog entries (though I realize not everybody has access to all of this) you will see there's no way she could die at that point, because she makes several entries after that. I suppose maybe the album and book are supposed to be considered two separate pieces of art with two different endings, but I dunno.

There are no blog entries after the 'It's time to leave now' and 'Ascendant Here On...' ones. What more information is in the book? I'm really curious about the entries you mentioned.

That's not what I was talking about, though- the post I replied to (I forget who said it) was saying she dies after not finishing the letter to her brother, and I was saying that can't be possible because there are several entries after that. The "Ascendant Here On..." is the last entry in both the blog and the book, but the blog has many posts that the book doesn't... and like BRGM says, there is some WEIRD shit happening in those entries.

The only thing the book has that the blog doesn't is the additional documents- her birth certificate, her journal from when she was younger (which also has some weird stuff in it), the "Key of Skeleton" book (kinda creepy)... oh, and the song lyrics of course, which are sometimes presented in very cool ways (on a postcard, in an envelope, in her journal).

Offline 425

« Reply #1046 on: March 08, 2015, 09:38:56 PM »
Do we have ANY idea what "Ascendant Here On..." means? Either the title or the weird (though lovely) pictures?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1047 on: March 09, 2015, 12:19:07 AM »
It's her disappearing, we don't know if she dies, she completely isolates herself or gets abducted by those strange "visitors"
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Onno

« Reply #1048 on: March 09, 2015, 06:32:11 AM »

That's not what I was talking about, though- the post I replied to (I forget who said it) was saying she dies after not finishing the letter to her brother, and I was saying that can't be possible because there are several entries after that. The "Ascendant Here On..." is the last entry in both the blog and the book, but the blog has many posts that the book doesn't... and like BRGM says, there is some WEIRD shit happening in those entries.

The only thing the book has that the blog doesn't is the additional documents- her birth certificate, her journal from when she was younger (which also has some weird stuff in it), the "Key of Skeleton" book (kinda creepy)... oh, and the song lyrics of course, which are sometimes presented in very cool ways (on a postcard, in an envelope, in her journal).

Ok, but the letter to her brother isn't mentioned in the blog, right? Is it mentioned in the book?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: March 09, 2015, 07:47:38 AM »
it's in the book as an actual letter in an envelope.

the book and the blog are the same thing, spread across two platforms. the entries in the blog fit into the date gaps in the book content.