Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229537 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #2625 on: January 13, 2024, 11:50:16 AM »
Hell yeah. He's been talking about that here and there in the update videos he's been uploading on YouTube. They're very rambly, but he's re-iterated that he's working on at least four different projects in various capacities: The Moth (symphonic, his main focus right now), Casualties II, "Power Nerd" (something heavier and more chaotic), and "Axolotl" (something more reserved / closer to his normal sound by comparison).

I was catching up on those updates the other night actually. I think I got up to like #6 or something. He does ramble, but I can always listen to Devy rambling, over almost anyone.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2626 on: January 16, 2024, 02:12:31 PM »
Devin's podcast with Satriani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SHtIbmzsBw

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2627 on: January 17, 2024, 05:04:50 AM »
Watched that earlier, great interview with the Satch!  Makes me wonder when Dev will get JP for a podcast. I would think that it's a no brainer the he is on the list..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2628 on: March 10, 2024, 07:42:08 PM »
In the most recent update video, he says he's once again shelved The Moth until Power Nerd and Axolotl are finished. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2629 on: March 10, 2024, 07:47:38 PM »
Least shocking news of the year.  :lol I think I even called that in my discography thread.

I wonder if he ever got the situation sorted out with Honeybunch. Axolotl seems like a good place for it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2630 on: March 10, 2024, 08:28:40 PM »
i honestly don't think the moth is ever gonna happen :lol

Online NoFred

« Reply #2631 on: March 11, 2024, 12:16:14 AM »
Agreed, there is no Moth I mean I feel he already made it with Empath. That’s 110% him not sure what’s next

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2632 on: March 11, 2024, 07:46:29 AM »
Honestly if it's going to be mostly orchestral then I'm fine with The Moth being on the backburner as that kind of music doesn't do much for me anyways. Who knows what it'll actually sound like when he does finish it though - it sounds like he's pivoted direction on it a few times at this point.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2633 on: March 11, 2024, 08:46:06 AM »
In the most recent update video, he says he's once again shelved The Moth until Power Nerd and Axolotl are finished. :lol

I havent been following to even know what Power Nerd and Axoloti are  :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2634 on: March 11, 2024, 08:54:47 AM »
Power Nerd is a simple, heavy record like Epicloud. Darby Todd starts tracking drums soon.

Axolotl is “Alien Pop Music”. Morgan Agren has already recorded drums for it.

I would hope/expect both albums to come out later this year, maybe as a double release like Deconstruction and Ghost.

*Fast forward to this time next year when ANOTHER record comes up and delays The Moth further.*

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2635 on: March 11, 2024, 08:57:46 AM »

I havent been following to even know what Power Nerd and Axoloti are  :lol

Metro just beat me to it, but I worded my response slightly differnetly so fuck it :lol He’s described them as:

Power Nerd - Very straightforward rock / metal for his standards, in a similar vein to Addicted and Epicloud except “even simpler”, very emotionally-driven though. He said he’s getting someone else to mix it because he doesn’t want it to be too layered like most of his albums are.

Axolotl - Very weird and alien-sounding, no real creative boundaries or restraints. Morgen Agren is on drums.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2636 on: March 11, 2024, 09:00:06 AM »
*Fast forward to this time next year when ANOTHER record comes up and delays The Moth further.*

Don’t forget about Casualties 2!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2637 on: March 11, 2024, 09:05:51 AM »
Thanks for the responses, Power Nerd sounds pretty good then since I love Addicted and Epicloud

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2638 on: March 11, 2024, 09:10:06 AM »

I can't remember, has work already started on Casualties 2?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2639 on: March 11, 2024, 09:13:07 AM »
Hell yeah. He's been talking about that here and there in the update videos he's been uploading on YouTube. They're very rambly, but he's re-iterated that he's working on at least four different projects in various capacities: The Moth (symphonic, his main focus right now), Casualties II, "Power Nerd" (something heavier and more chaotic), and "Axolotl" (something more reserved / closer to his normal sound by comparison).

Plus don't forget Dreampeace, the ambient thing he's working on. If he's not pushed that back too... I knows he's on a creative streak at the moment, but I've been watching his updates and thinking he's gonna burn himself out if he keeps this up.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2640 on: March 11, 2024, 09:15:00 AM »
Has he finished building the spaceship in his back garden yet though?

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2641 on: March 11, 2024, 09:17:43 AM »

I can't remember, has work already started on Casualties 2?

It seems to be off and on since it relies on his and Che's schedules matching up, but it seems like they're doing some work on it. I think Che posted a picture with her, Devin, and Morgan Agren together recently.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2642 on: March 11, 2024, 09:24:43 AM »
Has he finished building the spaceship in his back garden yet though?

Not sure. I’ve heard him talk about this several times in his updates and I still don’t know wtf to make of it  :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2643 on: March 12, 2024, 01:44:55 AM »
Not to go off the beaten path,  but has anyone noticed that the bass frequencies are mixed way overkill on the the album Lightwork???
I have to turn the volume down on any stereo and back off the bass EQ for it not to distort.
I wonder if that has something to do with Dev bringing in a producer for this album, or if something went awry in the mastering studio?
This is a huge oversight on a otherwise fantastic album!
I can't believe that Devin himself didn't catch on to this.
 ???
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2644 on: March 12, 2024, 04:39:22 AM »
Power Nerd is a simple, heavy record like Epicloud. Darby Todd starts tracking drums soon.

Axolotl is “Alien Pop Music”. Morgan Agren has already recorded drums for it.

I would hope/expect both albums to come out later this year, maybe as a double release like Deconstruction and Ghost.

I like it when musicians pick the right collaborators for their albums. Steven Wilson does a similar thing instead of having a go-to person for each instrument etc. The variety makes it more interesting IMO.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2645 on: March 12, 2024, 06:54:26 AM »
RIP TM Stevens, the bass player on Vai’s Sex and Religion, and on the Dev demo “Thick Stock”.
https://youtu.be/zDpWRebZ_mc?si=f6llCF-42qpNQP_m

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/tm-stevens-obituary

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2646 on: March 12, 2024, 06:56:58 AM »
Not to go off the beaten path,  but has anyone noticed that the bass frequencies are mixed way overkill on the the album Lightwork???
I have to turn the volume down on any stereo and back off the bass EQ for it not to distort.
I wonder if that has something to do with Dev bringing in a producer for this album, or if something went awry in the mastering studio?
 ???

Yes, but:

a. Modern hi-fi equipment tends to be overly-bassy anyway, eveything you buy these days, even at the top end, had a huge bass bias to it, and

b. Knowing Dev, it's intentional. He likes pushing things beyond the limits of listenability.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2647 on: March 12, 2024, 07:32:16 AM »
RIP TM Stevens, the bass player on Vai’s Sex and Religion, and on the Dev demo “Thick Stock”.
https://youtu.be/zDpWRebZ_mc?si=f6llCF-42qpNQP_m

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/tm-stevens-obituary

May he rest in peace.

I saw im live with his band in a small club somewhere in the 90s. There were maybe 100 people in attendance and he absolutely killed it, even a broken string couldn't stop him. Al Pitrelli was on guitar, forgot who the rest was.

For those that like some funk in their metal, listen to his record Boom (Out Of Control).  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2648 on: March 12, 2024, 07:53:58 AM »
 ???

Have you listened to Epicloud? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2649 on: March 12, 2024, 07:42:47 PM »
 ???

Yes, but:

a. Modern hi-fi equipment tends to be overly-bassy anyway, eveything you buy these days, even at the top end, had a huge bass bias to it, and
I've been playing the album mostly through a older Denon power receiver (stereo only) with four outputs. Two Cerwin Vega main speakers,  and two Boston Acoustics speakers. They can take a lot, but Lightwork makes them distort at half the volume as most other cd's I play on the same system.  I have to EQ the bass way back to make it listenable.
Same thing with my car stereo.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2650 on: March 12, 2024, 09:32:53 PM »
 ???

Yes, but:

I've been playing the album mostly through a older Denon power receiver (stereo only) with four outputs. Two Cerwin Vega main speakers,  and two Boston Acoustics speakers. They can take a lot, but Lightwork makes them distort at half the volume as most other cd's I play on the same system.  I have to EQ the bass way back to make it listenable.
I'm assuming you aren't using a subwoofer. That would help a ton.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2651 on: March 13, 2024, 04:14:23 AM »
b. Knowing Dev, it's intentional. He likes pushing things beyond the limits of listenability.

What? :lol

None of Devin’s albums are actually ‘unlistenable’, so I’m very curious how you got to this assumption.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2652 on: March 13, 2024, 10:31:41 AM »
 ???

Yes, but:

I'm more old school. I like stereo (left and right). The main tower speakers have 12" subs in them. That's plenty loud and all I need. I see what you're saying though. My power amp doesn't have a sub out, just outputs for four stereo speakers. My preference for rock/metal music.
Devins albums sound good overall,  but Lightwork is so bass heavy at times it can cause distortion.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2653 on: March 14, 2024, 12:46:31 PM »
Dev has a photo book coming out.
“Overexposed + Underdeveloped”

https://devintownsendbook.com/

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2654 on: March 14, 2024, 12:48:40 PM »
can't wait. i love devin townsend
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2655 on: March 14, 2024, 12:51:27 PM »
 ???

Have you listened to Epicloud? :lol
So I gave it a spin last night to see what you are talking about. It is indeed quite bass-y  but it doesn't rattle my speakers like a few areas in Lightwork. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2656 on: March 14, 2024, 01:41:06 PM »
 ???

Yes, but:

I'm more old school. I like stereo (left and right). The main tower speakers have 12" subs in them. That's plenty loud and all I need. I see what you're saying though. My power amp doesn't have a sub out, just outputs for four stereo speakers. My preference for rock/metal music.
Devins albums sound good overall,  but Lightwork is so bass heavy at times it can cause distortion.
It's possible the 12" woofers in the tower speakers can't replicate sub-bass frequencies properly (Those in the 20-60hz range), or the amp isn't passing along those signals correctly. Devin does use those frequencies quite often.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2657 on: March 14, 2024, 07:32:09 PM »
That's a excellent point!  If that's the case, maybe I need to upgrade.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2658 on: March 18, 2024, 05:17:41 AM »
Darby Todd (drummer) just posted to FB that he is traveling to Vancouver to track the drums for Devin’s Powernerd.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2659 on: March 18, 2024, 10:24:14 AM »
That's great to hear! I like Darby Todd's style of drumming, and he was killing it on the Dreamsonic tour.