Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 226496 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1925 on: March 13, 2019, 01:33:43 PM »
I saw that on Twitter last night.  Devin did a great job of being nice while also conveying how little interest he had in that project. Some guys work best when driving the bus, not collaborating, and Devin is definitely one of those guys.
Yeah, I don't see a collaboration like this ever working. All three of them are "Drive the bus" kind of guys. Although MP seems to be able to take a step back in other collab projects like Neal Morse etc....So you never know.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1926 on: March 13, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
I have not been following the thread.  When is the new album due out?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1927 on: March 13, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
I have not been following the thread.  When is the new album due out?
March 29th
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1928 on: March 13, 2019, 02:39:43 PM »

Yeah, I don't see a collaboration like this ever working. All three of them are "Drive the bus" kind of guys. Although MP seems to be able to take a step back in other collab projects like Neal Morse etc....So you never know.

With all due respect, Portnoy cannot "drive the bus" the way Devin and Akerfeldt can.  It has to be a collaborative process for Portnoy to excel, while the other two have shown that there can be no one else on the bus and still thrive.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1929 on: March 13, 2019, 02:52:24 PM »
Don't know enough about Akerfeldt, but I believe Devin when he says things like that just don't work for him because he is the driving force behind his music and everything needs to make sense to him for it to work.  I'd imagine MP would be a great drummer for Devin to use and guide to do what he wants, but I'm not sure I can really see a collaborative effort between those, let alone someone else as well.  Now we don't know the dynamics, but essentially Devin's response makes perfect sense given the way he operates. 

The whole situation feels kind of odd though to see play out on twitter between two well known musicians.  Like MP tweeting that in the first place, he even questions if its the right place/time...

I hate to start rumors...  ...(being it was almost 10yrs ago, I assume it’s now safe to say!

and then Devin was really responsive and involved only to see MP follow up this morning

Woke up to all these comments about my post...! 😳 Jeez, sorry @dvntownsend for opening up this subject haha! Figured after 10 yrs it was OK to disclose our talks about possibly doing something back then...Let’s get back on track to what started this thread: #EMPATH is out 3/29!!

Just kind of feels like typical MP behavior.  Devin's a cool fucking dude though, I'm sure it's all good since he didn't need to respond at all.  And for the record, I don't think talking about potential bands from 10 years ago like this is a big deal to reveal, it's more so just how it played out that feels a bit odd.  Definitely entertaining though to read, wish I saw it live and got in on the action  :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1930 on: March 13, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »

With all due respect, Portnoy cannot "drive the bus" the way Devin and Akerfeldt can.  It has to be a collaborative process for Portnoy to excel, while the other two have shown that there can be no one else on the bus and still thrive.
Oh, I definitely agree, but Portnoy does have that personality of feeling like he needs to be the one to drive the bus. He's always thrived in a more collaborative environment.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1931 on: March 13, 2019, 06:45:19 PM »
Fucking love the new song. I've enjoyed the last few DTP records, but this is really on a different level. Feels like pure Devin.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1932 on: March 13, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »

Oh, I definitely agree, but Portnoy does have that personality of feeling like he needs to be the one to drive the bus. He's always thrived in a more collaborative environment.

Well sure, I think he wants to feel like he was part of the writing process, not just the drummer who came in to play on the songs the others wrote, and that is pretty natural. 

And to clarify, when I earlier said, "It has to be a collaborative process for Portnoy to excel," I meant in the writing process. Because he is not a songwriter in the sense of being someone who can sit down and write a song from start to finish, music and lyrics and all that goes with it, he needs that collaboration where a true songwriter can drive the bus in that sense (vs. Portnoy's sense, which is more band direction, arranging music others write, etc.).

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1933 on: March 15, 2019, 12:42:04 AM »
Surprised no one posted this yet.

New song, Evermore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2-cKI34bpU
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1934 on: March 15, 2019, 12:43:09 AM »
literally saw it 2 minutes ago and i'm in the middle of one of y'all's EPs right now

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1935 on: March 15, 2019, 12:44:56 AM »
literally saw it 2 minutes ago and i'm in the middle of one of y'all's EPs right now

Slogging your way through yet another of our mediocre EP's!  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1936 on: March 15, 2019, 12:46:38 AM »
i like four of them a fair bit, tbh
from first listen i already have a pretty good idea of which two are getting cut tho

anyways the EP ended so time to check out this bad boy

edit: this sounds like devin intentionally went out of his way to make this a mashup of the styles of the original four DTP albums, i dig it tho

Offline DTA

« Reply #1937 on: March 15, 2019, 09:19:18 AM »

New song, Evermore.

Yay, another song that is complete hot garbage. I understand what he was going for but I think the execution is so far beyond poor that there's literally nothing to grasp onto with this and the other song. I might actually avoid getting this album now

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1938 on: March 15, 2019, 10:01:51 AM »
Didn't like the first half as much since it felt like Devin on autopilot, but then it really picked up.

I just hope he cuts back on the long super harmonized vocals that have been ALL over the last few albums. This song had some good dynamic vocals in the 2nd half, so I'm hoping for more of that. Variety.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1939 on: March 15, 2019, 11:10:22 AM »

New song, Evermore.

Yay, another song that is complete hot garbage. I understand what he was going for but I think the execution is so far beyond poor that there's literally nothing to grasp onto with this and the other song. I might actually avoid getting this album now

It kills me to say it, but I agree. I just can't relate to this silly side of his music.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1940 on: March 15, 2019, 11:26:50 AM »
I really don't know what about these songs sounds "silly" tbh

They are all over the place musically but I don't hear the wackiness of the ziltoid albums anywhere here

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1941 on: March 15, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »
I don't get Devin's music.  I just don't.  It's just too..."out there" for me.  But I kind of want to get it.  Maybe you guys can help me out.

I will say that I have been listening to this album a bit over the last couple of days (for some reason, Inside Out seems to have put me on their general list rather than just a DT specific list, and sent me a promo of this album a few days ago), and there are some cool things that are grabbing my attention.

But help me figure this guy out because, again, I just don't get it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1942 on: March 15, 2019, 12:02:47 PM »
I don't get Devin's music.  I just don't.  It's just too..."out there" for me.  But I kind of want to get it.  Maybe you guys can help me out.

I will say that I have been listening to this album a bit over the last couple of days (for some reason, Inside Out seems to have put me on their general list rather than just a DT specific list, and sent me a promo of this album a few days ago), and there are some cool things that are grabbing my attention.

Neither does he.

At his best, Devin's music is a reflection of his own search to understand himself. We're just along for the journey.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1943 on: March 15, 2019, 12:08:24 PM »
I really don't know what about these songs sounds "silly" tbh

They are all over the place musically but I don't hear the wackiness of the ziltoid albums anywhere here

If I'm comparing it to something like "Bastard" or "Deadhead", it hits me as silly. Not to mention, I first heard the song a little while ago via the official video, which features a cartoon cat. I'm a huge Devin fan, but not this side of him.  Give me the darker side any day.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1944 on: March 15, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »

I don't get some of his albums. But these are the most "accessible" at least for me and the ones I listen to more often:

-Ocean Machine
-Addicted
-Sky Blue
-Epicloud
-Transcendence

If you like a bit more of the spacey chilling side:
-Hummer
-Ghost
-Ki

The super extreme heavy:
-Deconstruction
-Strapping Young Lad

The rest like Synchestra, Terria, etc...are a bit difficult to digest, at least for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1945 on: March 15, 2019, 12:34:29 PM »
I would avoid SYL (unless you like speed metal on steroids), The Hummer and Physicist like the plague.

Addicted, Sky Blue and Epicloud are great starters.

Terria is still his best, but it can be "just another mountain" (!!) to climb.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1946 on: March 15, 2019, 12:40:11 PM »

I'm not the biggest Devin Townsend fan, but Ki and Ghost are absolutely incredible. Ki has none of the bombast that annoys me so much and is just a moody, dark, eerie, tranquil piece of brilliance. Ghost is very mellow so I wouldn't suggest that outright, but it's my favorite of his albums. Check out Ki and see if that can be your gateway into his stuff. A lot of it is really captivating, but bullshit like these two Empath songs is him at his worst imo.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1947 on: March 15, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »
Bosk, I'd start with just Epicloud and if you like it, tell us what you liked about it and we can direct you from there. His massive discography can be intimidating and hard to get into, especially if you start with the wrong album.

Like others have said, stay away from SYL, Hummer, and Devlab, and I would also say avoid stuff Deconstruction or the 2 Ziltoid albums and even Empath for now.

Epicloud is probably the best starting point. It's a very accessible record, and it's kind of a sampler of most of his various styles.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1948 on: March 15, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »
I agree that Ki is amazing, although that is not an album you can "sample."  I know it's a cliche, but that really is an album that must be listened to from start to finish in one sitting to really grasp its greatness.  And I am honestly not sure if it is the best album to try to convert someone. I think his albums with the catchy rockers, like Addicted and Sky Blue, are better starters, although you never really know.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1949 on: March 15, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
I agree that Ki is amazing, although that is not an album you can "sample."  I know it's a cliche, but that really is an album that must be listened to from start to finish in one sitting to really grasp its greatness.  And I am honestly not sure if it is the best album to try to convert someone. I think his albums with the catchy rockers, like Addicted and Sky Blue, are better starters, although you never really know.

I can only go by my personal experience. I liked some of his other stuff well enough, but it wasn't until I heard Ki that I was truly blown away. It wasn't stuff like Addicted because that pop-metal sound already felt really familiar through other bands, but Ki was really unique and captivating and made me take notice.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1950 on: March 15, 2019, 01:07:45 PM »

Neither does he.

At his best, Devin's music is a reflection of his own search to understand himself. We're just along for the journey.

There's actually some truth in this.  All I knew of DT was his vocals from Steve Vai's record - which I HATED, and one Strapping Young Lad song which I can't possibly name.  THEN I read his autobiography, and heard "Deep Peace" from the London live set, which blew me away.  Then, listening to Transcendence, and remembering what I read in his book, it made a lot of sense.   (I even went back, bought the Vai album used for a $1, and it was a different experience.  I still don't like all of it, but a lot of it is better than I remembered.)   

Secret Sciences is the song off of Transcendence that I would offer to someone. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1951 on: March 15, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »
I started with Epicloud and agree, it's a good intro to his music.  It contains lots of his styles without being too crazy and also is a really good album.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1952 on: March 15, 2019, 01:15:08 PM »
I still say either Ki or Casualties of Cool is the best thing he has ever done. Although I like the vast majority of his stuff. And as Stadler mentioned, his autobiography is a great read.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1953 on: March 15, 2019, 01:33:33 PM »
Well, since I actually have the new album, I'll post what I like about it once I have a chance to digest it more.  Since I am liking some things about it and I actually have it, that seems like a logical place to start to me.  :lol  And once the rest of you have it and have a chance to digest it, we can, essentially be "speaking the same language" in terms of helping me maybe "get" it a little bit more.

And for reference, other stuff I have heard that, while still "out there," I found myself actually liking somewhat, were War, Kingdom, and that Poozer song.  Not sure whether or not that is any help in focusing the discussion of helping me "get" his music, but in having random things show up on YouTube that I actually somewhat liked, that's what comes to mind. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1954 on: March 15, 2019, 01:40:42 PM »
I still say either Ki or Casualties of Cool is the best thing he has ever done. Although I like the vast majority of his stuff. And as Stadler mentioned, his autobiography is a great read.
This is real funny to me because Casualties is my favorite but Ki is one of my least favorites, probably right along Dark Matters and Physicist.

I'd recommend Epicloud as a starting point as well. Sky Blue and Transcendence are for all.intents and purposes just Epicloud 2 and 3 imo

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1955 on: March 15, 2019, 01:56:06 PM »
Bosk, I'd recommend giving Addicted a few listens. It's one of his best albums ever, and pretty low on the weirdness scale.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1956 on: March 15, 2019, 02:17:01 PM »
Does that have any of the songs that I mentioned liking? 

I was actually thinking about getting and watching Retinal Circus, since I think two of the videos for songs I mentioned came from that, and the visual spectacle of it seemed, at minimum, such an entertaining spectacle even aside from the songs themselves. 

As an aside, for those making recommendations who may not know if you haven't seen it come up in other threads, I generally do NOT like music where the lyrics are overly and overtly either bashing God or explicitly sexual or use gratuitous profanity.  I am under the impression (although I could be misinformed or just mistaken) that Devin can, at times, embrace both categories.  So if there are albums where those types of things are pretty overt, those are probably not the best recommendations for me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1957 on: March 15, 2019, 02:19:08 PM »
Kingdom is originally on Physicist but the rerecorded version (which is most likely the one you heard) is on Epicloud

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1958 on: March 15, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »
The version I saw was the live version from Retinal Circus.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1959 on: March 15, 2019, 02:31:10 PM »
Zappa on steroids. I love Ghost. The music on the other albums
is basically insanity with no riffs lasting long enough for me to
sink my teeth in. Always good production though.