Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 228761 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1890 on: February 05, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
No Texas dates  :censored

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1891 on: February 05, 2019, 03:11:09 PM »
A tiny audio sample in this vlog by Samus, one of the drummers:

https://youtu.be/-ZtYjWLDxv0?t=671

Sounds sooo mighty!
He slays those drums.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1892 on: February 06, 2019, 07:27:40 AM »
Episode II Posted

Devin sounds like such a cool dude. Very down to earth discussion about ending DTP.

Also, his other interview regarding becoming friends with Chad from Nickelback is hilarious.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1893 on: February 06, 2019, 07:45:46 AM »
Episode 2 was solid, episode 1 was a bit boring IMO, I haven't actually finished it though but I kept getting distracted, 2 was an easy listen and really interesting to hear his honest feelings about ending a band and having now done it a couple times. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1894 on: February 06, 2019, 04:19:17 PM »
I'm loving these. It's great to see inside the mind of a man who is so talented and yet so insecure and vulnerable all at once. He's truly one of the only musicians that I respect as an actual human being as opposed to seeing him as just some amazing "superstar" (as much as a prog star can be) musician.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1895 on: February 07, 2019, 12:10:03 AM »
Listened to Part 3. I could listen to this man ramble on and on all day.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1896 on: February 21, 2019, 10:10:07 PM »
Genesis is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-lazmW--co

it's like, deconstruction by way of sky blue and it's w i l d

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1897 on: February 21, 2019, 10:16:47 PM »
Genesis is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-lazmW--co

it's like, deconstruction by way of sky blue and it's w i l d
Destroyed!!! Devin wasn't kidding when he said he was going to be bringing everything he had done previously to the table.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1898 on: February 21, 2019, 10:29:00 PM »
well this is a very crazy song, I'm not sure what to think.  It definitely has lots of really amazing parts to it, but it's also just so... crazy and ridiculous and over the top, yet it's still so lovable and fun all around. 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1899 on: February 21, 2019, 10:42:28 PM »
Listened to it once and I am thoroughly amazed and confused. I'm glad weird Dev is back. I love the DTP but I'm kinda relieved this isn't just gonna be another album like Epicloud or Sky Blue or Transcendence. Even with this one song, it really does feel like a culmination of all of Dev's music. I hear Infinity, I hear Synchestra, I hear Strapping Young Lad, I hear Deconstruction, I hear Transcendence, I hear Casualties, even some Ghost in there at some points. It's wonderfully chaotic without being too disjointed to the point where it's a mess.
I'm gonna make an effort to not listen to it or any other singles again until I have the full album. I want to experience this whole albums unspoiled.

I'm really looking forward to this album.  :metal

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1900 on: February 22, 2019, 05:41:26 AM »
Well.
That was a song.
I guess?

Like Deconstruction but even more ridiculous. I like it.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1901 on: February 22, 2019, 05:44:38 AM »
Apparently Devin said himself it's not really a song per se, and it definitely sounds like an overture of sorts. At least it has a refrain ;)
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1902 on: February 22, 2019, 05:52:10 AM »
The official music video is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n7uvokARQ4&feature=youtu.be

I love this :lol it's just him reacting to his own song with a stupidly random greenscreen that matches the music perfectly. And the song is amazing! The weird side of Devin is the side I like the most.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1903 on: February 22, 2019, 07:00:17 AM »
That was exciting

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1904 on: February 22, 2019, 07:02:08 AM »
Brilliant video.

And I really love the song. THIS feels like Devin when he is truly inspired. I just didn't get that feeling for much of the last 3-4 albums. It felt like he stretched out a mood or few ideas over a whole album out of obligation. Devin is at his best when he NEEDS to get the music out of him, and this felt just like that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1905 on: February 22, 2019, 08:04:36 AM »
Apparently Devin said himself it's not really a song per se, and it definitely sounds like an overture of sorts. At least it has a refrain ;)

Definitely sounds like an overture, I like it if so.  It's a bit disjointed to really follow as a single song, but if it's more of like an overture for the album, I am really digging it then.  Looks like there's a lot to look forward to with this one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1906 on: February 22, 2019, 08:09:36 AM »
Brilliant video.

And I really love the song. THIS feels like Devin when he is truly inspired. I just didn't get that feeling for much of the last 3-4 albums. It felt like he stretched out a mood or few ideas over a whole album out of obligation. Devin is at his best when he NEEDS to get the music out of him, and this felt just like that.

I don't know yet whether I agree with the analysis of the last couple albums (the last time I listened to Transcendence, about a week ago, it totally connected, and I left it feeling physically invigorated) but I don't think I can name an artist I like for whom that feeling of having to "get music out" is so strong.    If that makes sense. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1907 on: February 22, 2019, 08:11:44 AM »
I can't stand Devin Townsend honestly, but Transcendence is really cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1908 on: February 22, 2019, 08:23:19 AM »
Transcendence was fantastic, I was just watching the music video in my office when my coworker came in and was like "what is that?" and watched the last minute or so absolutely amazed.  LIke he didn't understand but was kind of enjoying it.  It's definitely an interesting watch/listen.  There's a lot of good bits in this song too. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1909 on: February 22, 2019, 12:23:17 PM »
That song Secret Sciences... c'mon.   I get it if you don't like the choral vocals, but that song just works for me on every level.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: February 22, 2019, 12:33:41 PM »
Yea, it's become one of my favorites from the album and it certainly wasn't when it was released, that song is just so good.  Glad I got to see it live (with Anneke, and only played live 12 times)  as well as Offer Your Light (with Anneke and only played live 2 times) from that Progpower show a few years ago.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1911 on: February 22, 2019, 05:29:37 PM »
Awesome video, awesome song (mostly just intro to the album but works amazingly well). I can't wait for this.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1912 on: February 22, 2019, 05:34:36 PM »
I’ll admit I liked Transcendence more than the 2-3 before that, but haven’t come back to it much. So my comment was largely directed at the stuff before that. Though Transvendence felt like the band was really inspired and Devin was helping out but not 100% into it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1913 on: February 22, 2019, 06:28:20 PM »
If Transcendence didn't take a nosedive in quality in the second half it would have been one of his best albums, for sure. As-is, I like it more than Sky Blue, but it doesn't come all that close to the quality to his best "poppy" records (Addicted, Accelerated Evolution and Epicloud)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: February 22, 2019, 07:02:03 PM »
If Transcendence didn't take a nosedive in quality in the second half it would have been one of his best albums, for sure. As-is, I like it more than Sky Blue, but it doesn't come all that close to the quality to his best "poppy" records (Addicted, Accelerated Evolution and Epicloud)

True, those three I enjoy more too

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #1915 on: February 22, 2019, 10:07:33 PM »
Genesis is top tier, 2nd best song he's ever written IMO.
Today/yesterday has been such a big treat, with "At Wits End" and "Pale Blue Dot", along with "Genesis" - it's all so much to take in, it's so overwhelmingly awesome and epic that I think I've orgasmed into death.

Today/yesterday has been the best present I've had in a fucking long time. Thanks Dev, I feel Empath will likely be his best album to date (which isn't a light statement to say either!)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1916 on: February 23, 2019, 03:06:18 AM »
In order to be his best it’ll have to top Terria and Ki for me, which is probably ridiculously difficult to do. That first song was awesome though!!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1917 on: February 23, 2019, 06:40:20 AM »
The official music video is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n7uvokARQ4&feature=youtu.be

I love this :lol it's just him reacting to his own song with a stupidly random greenscreen that matches the music perfectly. And the song is amazing! The weird side of Devin is the side I like the most.

Wow, that had everything it it, including the kitchen sink.  Getting excited for the new record...

Kicking off the record with that new and vastly inferior version of Truth did not help either.  I don't dislike the title track or Stars, but neither is notable at all.  Considering how strong the bonus disc is, a bunch of those could have replaced Stars and the title track.  I feel a great well-flowing album could have been accomplished by doing that, along with shortening the long outros of the last two songs as well.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1918 on: February 23, 2019, 08:43:19 AM »
Ugh...am I the only one who thinks this song sucked? Deconstruction is my favorite of his albums after Ghost and Ki so I can handle his wackiness, but this just seemed way too much of a mish-mash to even take seriously.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1919 on: February 23, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »
The disco-ey part that start at about 5:40 is my favourite thing Devin has done since Ghost/Deconstruction for sure.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1920 on: February 23, 2019, 09:41:49 AM »
Ugh...am I the only one who thinks this song sucked? Deconstruction is my favorite of his albums after Ghost and Ki so I can handle his wackiness, but this just seemed way too much of a mish-mash to even take seriously.

Devin confirms here it's a kind of stylistic overture, so you can expect something not as wacky from the rest of the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRRfMJn3Wno
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1921 on: February 23, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »

Devin confirms here it's a kind of stylistic overture, so you can expect something not as wacky from the rest of the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRRfMJn3Wno

That's a relief. His "quirky/wacky" side is where he generally loses me. I enjoy that side of him in interviews and such, but in the music? Nah.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1922 on: March 13, 2019, 05:58:35 AM »
https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/1105294218858119168

MP calls Empath his favorite album of the year and then tweets about getting in touch with Devin and M. Akerfeldt back in 2010 trying to start a project. And then.... Devin replies in his style  :lol :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: March 13, 2019, 07:38:11 AM »
https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/1105294218858119168

MP calls Empath his favorite album of the year and then tweets about getting in touch with Devin and M. Akerfeldt back in 2010 trying to start a project. And then.... Devin replies in his style  :lol :lol

wow this is amazing

@BBLLEEIIZZ_
 18h18 hours ago
Replying to @dvntownsend @MikePortnoy
If this ever happens it would be the first time I shit my pants since I was 4.

Devin Townsend
@dvntownsend
 18h18 hours ago
Last time I shat mine was 4 this afternoon. India is amazing, but I’ve been stationed in the loo for weeks. It’s like wiping an axe wound.

:rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1924 on: March 13, 2019, 01:03:00 PM »
I saw that on Twitter last night.  Devin did a great job of being nice while also conveying how little interest he had in that project. Some guys work best when driving the bus, not collaborating, and Devin is definitely one of those guys.