Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 226590 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1820 on: January 11, 2019, 02:19:10 PM »
Another live video followed that one that also had her onstage with him, and she sounded good on that one too.  She has great range and a nice tone.  She actually sounds really good as a backup singer (or, I guess more correctly on this one (Awake), a supporting lead vocal).  She's just so uninteresting on her own music as the lead vocalist.  But there is a nice synergy with her and Devin that makes that combo work well, I guess.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1821 on: January 11, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »
They really do work well together. From what I know of her other music, I think her best stuff is from the few albums she did with Devin.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1822 on: January 11, 2019, 02:30:07 PM »
I'm gonna actually agree with bosk for once in saying that Anneke generally doesn't do much for me

The Gentle Storm is kinda dull, that vuur or whatever album was bland as hell, but she generally sounds good on Devin stuff (and that Amadeus Awad album too)
Che is just way better though lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: January 11, 2019, 02:33:08 PM »
One thing an album will never do justice for Anneke though is the way her voice resonates on your body when she sings in person.  Just so strong, you can literally feel it.  She's got a power in her voice that not many have. 

I like VUUR, but their album is a bit bland but when she did those songs live, I felt really captivated.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1824 on: January 11, 2019, 02:38:22 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense.  I've never felt she was a bad singer at all.  Just--and I really hate making this sort of criticism at all about ANY artist--not interesting, at least on the album stuff I have heard.  Seeing/hearing her live on these tracks, it's a whole different story (YouTube seems to be dialed into Devin/Anneke collaborations because I randomly got 4 videos in a row from 3 different shows with the two of them together).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1825 on: January 11, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »
I mean, it's fine, I find her original band The Gathering to be uninteresting.  That's just taste.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1826 on: January 11, 2019, 06:07:33 PM »
I was kind of "over" Anneke the moment I heard the final version of Fallout. It might as fucking well be spoken word. I'm also going to guess it was time restraints that kind of hurt her, but good lord there is ZERO emotion in her voice for the majority of the songs I hear her in. She is the definition of having pure raw talent and absolutely no emotional backing or force behind her voice. Devin sounds so fucking good on Fallout because he feels it, and the listener can feel that he feels it. Raw talent aside, he is such a better singer than she is to my ears. Anneke could be singing about the most gut-wrenching, heart stomping subject in the world and you'd think she was singing about algebra. Devin could be singing about algebra (and has) and you'd think he was singing about pure love and hate and everything in between (and again, has done so).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1827 on: January 11, 2019, 06:10:23 PM »
You're all crazy and I hate you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1828 on: January 11, 2019, 07:15:37 PM »
 :lol :heart

Hey, I loved Anneke at one point but I just cannot get into her voice as much as her talent and perfection egg me on to. There's just something else that's needed and to my ears, she doesn't have it.

It honest to goodness made me want to cry when I read that Devy said he thought he didn't have the talent or power he thought was needed for the Fallout vocals. He sees something in her that I don't. Or hears. Or whatever. :huh:

I will however say that there is a time and place for her voice. I'm listening to March Of The Poozers and the "MOOOOMMMYS WAAATCHING....WAAIIIITTING" part gives me a big 'ole Toy Story 3 Woody. Also good to "see" you, mister Adami. Been a while.

RIP DTP.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1829 on: January 11, 2019, 07:39:24 PM »
Regarding Anneke, Devy definitely brings out the absolute best in her, there is no disputing that. Her solo stuff is a bit lackluster and some of her lyrics are a little.......what's a nice way of putting it.....simple? Anyway, I also enjoy her vocals on the stuff she did in Ayreon and most of Gentle Storm. Vuur was fairly mediocre though.

I really like her in The Gathering too and I still say she has one of the best voices out there.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1830 on: January 11, 2019, 07:42:16 PM »
Yeah her solo stuff is definitely not for me. At all. It's one of the reasons why I "saw/heard" her voice differently once Fallout released officially. It's so static and predictable. One of the reasons I love Devy is that despite his imperfections, you can actually feel what he's trying to convey through his voice. I don't get that with Anneke. I am sure some do, but to me it's a concrete, blank wall.

RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1831 on: January 11, 2019, 07:44:03 PM »
This thread now feels like the bizarro world.

Let's get back to the real world:

Anneke is amazing.

There, that's better.  :coolio

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1832 on: January 11, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »
Anneke's performances on Devin's music vary in quality dramatically, which is likely just due to inconsistent direction. She's proven beyond a doubt that she can give some absolutely emotional and stunning performances. Her solo at the end of Numbered? The intro and choruses of Angel? HYPERDRIVE? She absolutely KILLS it on Hyperdrive and elevates that song to a whole other level. Since Addicted she's definitely been less consistently impressive, but I can't say that's a reflection of her talent or anything.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1833 on: January 11, 2019, 08:00:49 PM »
I can agree with that, Hyperdrive is amazing with her. Yeah, it's very inconsistent...sadly.

RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1834 on: January 15, 2019, 08:25:32 AM »
Meanwhile, the new album, Empath, is coming in March. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: January 16, 2019, 07:01:38 AM »
From facebook (there's also a video of him explaining things)
DEVIN TOWNSEND announces new album ‘Empath’

In the lead up to the album’s release, Devin will walk fans through how Empath came together with a series of documentary episodes recorded as phone conversations during the course of the records recording.

Over the past few years, the success that Devin has slowly worked for has fortunately come with the power to control his own creative destiny. The recent successes with the DVD from a sold-out Royal Albert hall, or his 2012 ‘Retinal Circus’, or last year’s ‘Ocean Machine’ live DVD with the Orchestra and Choir of State Opera Plovdiv has put him in a position where with the new album ‘EMPATH’, he will once and for all define himself as a musical force outside of any particular genre classification.

On this album Devin has decided to see what would happen if all the styles that make up his current interests were finally represented in one place. To finally shake the fear of expectation, and just do what it is he was meant to do creatively, EMPATH, true to the name, is about allowing the audience a feeling for a variety of musical emotions. The musical dynamics represented on this single album are broad, challenging, and immense. To approach this sort of work with a long history of what makes heavy music ‘heavy’, allows this to be done with a type of power rarely heard.

Joining Devin on this album is Frank Zappa alumni Mike Keneally as music director, as well as Morgan Ågren (Mats And Morgan, Frank Zappa, Fredrik Thordendal), Anup Sastry (Monuments, Periphery), Samus Paulicelli (Decrepit Birth, Abigail Williams), Nathan Navarro, Elliot Desagnes, Steve Vai, Chad Kroeger, Anneke Van Giersbergen, Ché Aimee Dorval, Ryan Dhale and the Elektra Women’s Choir.

A bold statement with massive production values and dynamic, uncompromised musicality. This is a statement about not only pursuing creative freedom in a conservative scene, but also trying to show that heavy music is truly a valid musical tool.

‘EMPATH’ will be released on Limited 2 CD Digipak (including an entire disc of bonus material), Gatefold 180G 2LP Vinyl + CD + LP-booklet & as digital album. The full track-listing is as follows:

1. Castaway
2. Genesis
3. Spirits Will Collide
4. Evermore
5. Sprite
6. Hear Me
7. Why
8. Borderlands
9. Requiem
10. Singularity Part 1 – Adrift
11. Singularity Part 2 – I Am I
12. Singularity Part 3 – There Be Monsters
13. Singularity Part 4 – Curious Gods
14. Singularity Part 5 – Silicon Scientists
15. Singularity Part 6 – Here Comes The Sun

Also in his video he states he will release songs as the documantery is being released so you can listen and understand what's going on better. 

I'm going to guess this album will be very musically diverse and as such will have some people, including myself, dislike some of it, but I also think there's got to be something absolutely amazing here.  I'm really excited to watch the documentary as we approach the release, seems like a cool way to do things and he clearly has a lot of control over what his vision is here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1836 on: January 16, 2019, 08:11:35 AM »
I think it moved...

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1837 on: January 16, 2019, 09:41:46 PM »
Are there any indications what style of music he's going to put on this release?  I love how creative he is, but admit I"m not really a fan of Casualties of Cool or his other albums where he dabbles in other styles.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1838 on: January 17, 2019, 07:46:40 AM »
Are there any indications what style of music he's going to put on this release?  I love how creative he is, but admit I"m not really a fan of Casualties of Cool or his other albums where he dabbles in other styles.

Sounds like this album is going to be a bit of everything. I'm intrigued by this release and think it's going to be one of his albums that you either love or hate.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: January 17, 2019, 07:49:11 AM »
I'm not sure he said anything specifically, but he does say it encompasses all of his styles so I think we can expect a wide variety and like you, I'm not a huge fan of some of his other styles.  I don't think it's bad, but it's not really music that I enjoy listening to so I kind of wonder if I will like the album or not, but if it truly encompasses all his styles, then there's also got to be some really great music for me as well.  I just wonder how the album meshes together as a whole.  It could be great, or maybe not.  I'm really intrigued to find out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1840 on: January 17, 2019, 08:19:03 AM »
Ché and Anneke both singing on this is cause for immense excitement.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1841 on: January 17, 2019, 08:35:13 AM »

Me personally, I think Anneke has added something special to every song she's done with Devy. Che, too, for that matter.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: January 17, 2019, 08:56:46 AM »
Yea, her being involved is more reason to look forward to it.  I think Chad Kroeger is the most interesting guest though, I'm really curious how he is used and if he can get people to like Chad a bit more than they do currently.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1843 on: January 17, 2019, 09:05:31 AM »
Yea, her being involved is more reason to look forward to it.  I think Chad Kroeger is the most interesting guest though, I'm really curious how he is used and if he can get people to like Chad a bit more than they do currently.
IIRC Dev said on Twitter that he just sings backup vocals on one track.

I’m expecting this album to be abit of everything, not just the typical Poppy Prog Metal thing the last few albums have been, which I dont think he was very excited about. It wouldn’t make sense to break up the DTP only to do another album in that same style immediately afterwards.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1844 on: January 17, 2019, 09:10:18 AM »
IIRC Dev said on Twitter that he just sings backup vocals on one track.

That's actually kind of disappointing, I was kind of wondering if Devin could make people like him, backing vocals seems like it won't be an impactful performance.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1845 on: January 17, 2019, 12:12:25 PM »
I'm also interested in how Singularity is going to work. Are all of the parts going to form a cohesive epic, or will they be more self-contained?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: January 17, 2019, 04:20:45 PM »
I'm also interested in how Singularity is going to work. Are all of the parts going to form a cohesive epic, or will they be more self-contained?

He referred to it as one track when he talked about it on Twitter, so it was definitely written that way; at one point he had renamed it Empath and was going to open the album with it (but now there's an Empath track on the bonus disc, hmmmm). In terms of how Dev would do that, I suspect it will just work like The Mighty Masturbator – that one was recorded in sections too and assembled post-mix/in mastering, but it's all fluid, even if the parts are sorta like 'islands' in it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1847 on: January 17, 2019, 05:11:21 PM »
So, SO excited for this. I love juuuust about all his work (couldn't really get into The Hummer and Devlab) and would love to hear more of that Casualties of Cool style. It literally got me to open my mind to a new side of music because before that I really hated all country/folk or remotely twangy music but I love the hell out of that album because it took a style that is sooooo boring and monotonous to me and twist it up and spit it back out completely different.

RIP DTP.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1848 on: January 17, 2019, 09:24:51 PM »
Track lengths from iTunes

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1849 on: January 18, 2019, 07:00:56 AM »
I'm not sure he said anything specifically, but he does say it encompasses all of his styles so I think we can expect a wide variety and like you, I'm not a huge fan of some of his other styles.  I don't think it's bad, but it's not really music that I enjoy listening to so I kind of wonder if I will like the album or not, but if it truly encompasses all his styles, then there's also got to be some really great music for me as well.  I just wonder how the album meshes together as a whole.  It could be great, or maybe not.  I'm really intrigued to find out.

Yeah, same with me; that's like Neil Young saying that.  Sure, there's a great chance I'll like it, but it's not like, say, Maiden, where I know that even if it's something new it's still going to be "Maidentm" so...

As for Chad Kroeger, I'm also with you.  I get - sort of - some of the antipathy to him, but I also saw a very cool interview he did with Sammy Hagar, and I feel like if it wasn't for that sort of "impression" of Nickelback (where did that start? Avril Lavigne?) he'd be regarded a lot higher.  He's a pretty cool guy with a really down to earth view of his music, and he did a little acoustic thing with Sam and it was really, really good. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:07:26 AM by Stadler »

Offline DTA

« Reply #1850 on: January 18, 2019, 07:15:42 AM »
Always boggles my mind when the title track of the album is left as a b-side. I realize there's no rules to any of this shit and it's ultimately non-important, but why call the album Empath if the song isn't important enough to be on the main thing? Musicians are endlessly annoying to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1851 on: January 18, 2019, 07:51:13 AM »
Always boggles my mind when the title track of the album is left as a b-side. I realize there's no rules to any of this shit and it's ultimately non-important, but why call the album Empath if the song isn't important enough to be on the main thing? Musicians are endlessly annoying to me.

I wonder if he will talk about this in his documentary series, it is a bit odd how that happens with bands sometimes and would be cool to understand the thought process.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1852 on: January 18, 2019, 08:34:20 AM »
It could simply be a case of him liking the word and thinking it was a cool title for the album, but ultimately either a) not liking the song enough to put it on the proper album, or b) feeling that it didn't fit within the flow and context of the album.  I wouldn't read too much into it.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: January 18, 2019, 09:04:07 AM »
What Kev said. Sometimes the title resonates with the feeling/intention of the work as a whole, but the song itself may not fit. With Dev especially, he seems to have a really specific intention for each song that has to be in that form with those words.

With that said, though, I find some tracklists have been really not amazing over the years. That seems to be where I lose the plot if I do.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1854 on: January 18, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »
One of my biggest problems with Transcendence was that while it has a stellar first half, it goes super downhill after that and some of the songs on the second half of the album really should have been replaced with some of the far better songs that ended up getting relegated to the bonus disk. I'm hoping that's not going to be the case again this time around.