Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 226493 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1785 on: June 22, 2018, 07:04:45 AM »
Regulator from the upcoming DVD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlEXMS1DRLQ

What's up with the dude sitting in a chair?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1786 on: June 22, 2018, 07:18:30 AM »
Regulator from the upcoming DVD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlEXMS1DRLQ

What's up with the dude sitting in a chair?

Squid, original bassist on the album, has MS unfortunately.

And now you're going feel bad about yourself for the rest of the day. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1787 on: June 22, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »
 :lol

Video is awesome, can't wait for this

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1788 on: June 22, 2018, 08:20:29 AM »
Squid, original bassist on the album, has MS unfortunately.

And now you're going feel bad about yourself for the rest of the day. :p

:facepalm: Sorry, I didn't mean anything negative by it, just curious. I'm used to seeing Beav on bass.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1789 on: June 22, 2018, 06:34:15 PM »
When did Jesse Pinkman start playing keys for Devin?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1790 on: July 06, 2018, 08:06:56 AM »
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - By Your Command (Live in Plovdiv 2017)

Should have my CD/DVD in the mail today  :metal

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1791 on: July 06, 2018, 08:45:47 AM »

I didn’t watch it in an ideal setting but I heard almost exclusively drums and vocals. Was it just my circumstances? The orchestra seemed largely non existent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1792 on: July 06, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »

I didn’t watch it in an ideal setting but I heard almost exclusively drums and vocals. Was it just my circumstances? The orchestra seemed largely non existent.

No you are pretty much spot on and that matches what other comments are saying too.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1793 on: July 06, 2018, 09:58:53 AM »

No you are pretty much spot on and that matches what other comments are saying too.

Yeah that mix is weird, very un-balanced. Lots of drums, that's for sure  :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1794 on: July 06, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »
Very weird mix. Snare and kick drums are very high. The orchestra and guitars are very low. The vocals are just right there in the middle, kind of like a Tool vocal mix where they don't standout.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1795 on: July 06, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
I liked the mix and have no complaints. It's easily his best live sounding album yet. Even though Devin struggled with some songs, his performance was amazing. Deadhead and Bastard were even better than the RAH show. Well, it was worth every penny.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1796 on: July 06, 2018, 06:05:17 PM »
the kick/snare mix is really bugging me on this one. I know DT's mixes focus on drowning every instrument into this whole missmash of the whole thing, but here it's really sounding like KICK/SNARE and there's the rest of the song if you're listening close enough.

I'm really wondering what happened during the final stages of people listening to this mix and saying "this is good enough, we want this"

then again, SOA had the drums fucking loud in the mix as well..... might be a sign of the times..

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1797 on: July 08, 2018, 10:06:35 PM »
NVM..

Devin just tweeted that a 5.1 mix got bounced down to a stereomix. He's in the process of fixing the youtubemovie, as it was driving him crazy as well..

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1798 on: July 09, 2018, 08:05:10 AM »
I got my CD/DVD in the mail, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.  Package looks really nice

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1799 on: July 09, 2018, 08:31:38 AM »
NVM..

Devin just tweeted that a 5.1 mix got bounced down to a stereomix. He's in the process of fixing the youtubemovie, as it was driving him crazy as well..

Oh thank Ziltoid.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1800 on: July 09, 2018, 11:09:42 AM »
NVM..

Ah, that makes sense.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1801 on: July 09, 2018, 01:49:32 PM »
Hide Nowhere was amazing. Devin's singing really made me enjoy this song a lot more than the studio version.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1802 on: July 09, 2018, 06:48:46 PM »
Gaia is pretty awesome here, the orchestra is pretty crucial to this version of it, where as in By Your Command, it kind of isn't.  There are alot of pretty good orchesta moments though.

The drums are still pretty loud here even on my 5.1 headphones watching the dvd on my computer, but I'd say it really sounds good overall and has a live feel to it.  I only watched a few select songs and loved the screams in Stormbending, never heard Om before and thought it was aweseome, and as I mentioned, Gaia is pretty kick ass. 

So far, very impressed with this DVD.  I'd say I already like it more than RAL show, but it'll be hard to top The Retinal Circus for me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1803 on: July 09, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »
If he fixes the youtube of By Your Command, it'll satisfy me unitl i can buy the blu-ray. This is a must buy for me, With Cramx saying the Orchestra is vital for Gaia then that makes me excited for hearing the rest of the set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1804 on: July 10, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »
I bought the deluxe limited edition set. A very cool package, definitely worth the money. I watched the entire set and I’d say it’s his best concert film yet. Great setlist and performance. I was annoyed by the high level of the drums, but in a way this type of mix makes me feel like I’m actually there. I do remember one moment where Devin has a guitar solo (Deadhead) that’s literally bordering on being inaudible. But all in all, an excellent release.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1805 on: July 11, 2018, 11:28:04 AM »
It's pretty awesome that they actually performed Om in its entirety instead of just the intro. Such an awesome song that doesn't get much attention due to it getting shoved off onto a demo EP.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1806 on: July 11, 2018, 11:32:52 AM »
It's pretty awesome that they actually performed Om in its entirety instead of just the intro. Such an awesome song that doesn't get much attention due to it getting shoved off onto a demo EP.

What demo EP is that from?  This album is the only time I've heard it and I thought it was pretty awesome.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1807 on: July 11, 2018, 12:42:18 PM »

What demo EP is that from?  This album is the only time I've heard it and I thought it was pretty awesome.

It's originally from the Christeen EP. There's also a version in the Contain Us box set, IIRC he wanted to rerecord it for Addicted but it didn't work out.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1808 on: July 11, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »
Yup, Christeen EP. There's a "re-recorded" version on the Contain Us box set but it doesn't get past the intro (similarly to how it's usually played live) so don't bother with that one.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1809 on: July 12, 2018, 01:37:30 PM »
Make sure you check out the rest of the Christeen EP too! Sit in the Mountain and Processional are amazing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1810 on: July 13, 2018, 02:11:15 PM »
Sit In The Mountain is SOOOOO good!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1812 on: October 16, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbxkid3yjfs cool behind the scenes video with tasty music previews. Looks like Dev is really going all out on this one.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1813 on: October 16, 2018, 11:46:10 PM »
Holy shit it's Sam! I had no idea he was doing drums for Devy on the new stuff, then again I haven't really chatted with him in a while...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: November 09, 2018, 06:47:44 AM »
From facebook

Devin Townsend is pleased to announce a very special European ‘An Evening With’ solo acoustic tour, beginning at the end of March 2019 and running through April. The intimate evenings will feature Devin performing tracks from across his catalogue, as well as taking part in a Q&A where fans will get to know more about what Devin is up to at this stage in his career and the forthcoming new album ‘Empath’. This will prove to be a unique & special experience for all in attendance. He comments:
Hello everyone, Devin here. I have been busy making my newest recording, EMPATH over the past year. It has been a complicated and enlightening experience in that I have gone back to my roots in terms of what my motivations are for making music, in hopes that I am able to move forward as a musician being as true as I possibly can to my motivations. The result is an album that I am exceptionally proud of, one that is uncompromised and diverse in ways that accurately represent where I’m at now at the age of 46. The past decade of relentless touring with DTP had been something that caught up with me in a big way, and as a result I felt I needed to step back from that world and analyse myself and make this music before stepping onto a stage again. The time has come however for me to take the next step in my career, and when asked about how I would like to do so, I decided the first thing I would do was a very intimate run of shows that allows me to play my music stripped back to just me and a guitar. The shows are at nice venues, and includes a spoken word element with questions from the audience as well as aspects of my entire career represented in this one show.
Before I tour with a band again, I wanted to have the opportunity to play for you, and meet up with the people who not only have made my work possible, but inspire me to continue. In a world of computers and social media, to be stripped of all the bells and whistles is a very important step for my reintroduction to the live concert world. I truly hope you’ll join me and I look forward to being the most honest I can be with you at these special shows.
Thank you to Andy Farrow and Northern Music, Thomas Waber and Inside Out records, as well as all who have supported me during this period. I have not been as proud of an album as I am of Empath in many years, and I really needed to get this out of my system.
See you at the shows.
Love
Devin Townsend

Sounds pretty cool for those who may be ale to catch this in Europe.  Love how he explains is rational for this.  Empath should come out in 2019 too so that's something to look forward to  :metal

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1815 on: November 09, 2018, 03:45:19 PM »
Yea, I'm already looking at getting tickets for this  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1816 on: December 03, 2018, 08:59:17 AM »
Looks like he listed guests on his new album (from twitter):

Thanks to some further guests, Anneke Van Giersbergen, Che Dorval, Chad Kroeger, Mike Keneally, Steve Vai, Lords Of The sound orchestra... it’s been total catharsis and tied intrinsically to the process of working through this transformation. It’s a lovely, complicated, weird one

Really happy to see Anneke still involved with him, Chad is definitely an interesting guest and got some negativity on the responses to his tweet about him. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1817 on: December 03, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
Anneke and Che??

Yes!  :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1818 on: January 11, 2019, 02:06:56 PM »
This came up randomly after watching a video from another band:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rok8QPT9NO4

Although I'm not a fan, it had kind of a cool beat starting off, so I let it go.  Then Anneke came out, and I almost switched it off.  Surprisingly, even with her, it wasn't bad.  Fun, goofy video.  From a video perspective, I kinda wish there were more wide shots of the stage for more than a fraction of a second so that you can really take in what is going on and make sense of all the on-stage chaos.  But whatever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1819 on: January 11, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »
This came up randomly after watching a video from another band:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rok8QPT9NO4

Although I'm not a fan, it had kind of a cool beat starting off, so I let it go.  Then Anneke came out, and I almost switched it off.  Surprisingly, even with her, it wasn't bad.  Fun, goofy video.  From a video perspective, I kinda wish there were more wide shots of the stage for more than a fraction of a second so that you can really take in what is going on and make sense of all the on-stage chaos.  But whatever.

The Retinal Circus is my favorite concert blu-ray.  Every song has some crazy shit going on stage that makes it just so fun to watch, plus it's got a nice long set list that covers his whole career up to that point.  Really well done and extremely entertaining.  The concert was why I just HAD to go to ProgPower a few years ago to see his only NA appearance with Anneke.  Not that they did anything crazy like that show, but I had just come to love watching those two together from my love of that concert.