Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229095 times)

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts
« Reply #1260 on: September 15, 2016, 07:35:08 PM »

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1261 on: September 15, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »
I did not like the setlist at all on this tour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1262 on: September 15, 2016, 10:01:32 PM »

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1263 on: September 16, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »

Overall, I was rather pleased with it. I was disappointed "Deadhead" didn't make it on the list, but the live experience
was just too awesome for that to detract from anything.

I just got around to diving deeper into the bonus disc a few days ago. Fucking wow. It's every bit as solid as disc 1 in a totally different
way. Devin knocked it out of the fucking park this time around. "Transcendence" is easily album of the year for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: September 16, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »
Back from Atlanta and in NYC for work today but spending the night here and going to see DTF again tonight. Super pumped because the setli st is fairly different than the progpower one so between the two shows I'll have gotten a good dose of DTF music. Anyone else going to the show tonight? Also I LOVE the Playstation theater in times square.  :metal

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1265 on: September 16, 2016, 10:11:07 AM »
Back from Atlanta and in NYC for work today but spending the night here and going to see DTF again tonight. Super pumped because the setli st is fairly different than the progpower one so between the two shows I'll have gotten a good dose of DTF music. Anyone else going to the show tonight? Also I LOVE the Playstation theater in times square.  :metal

I'll be there too! Can't wait for it, a little sad it's not Devin headlining but still going to be a blast!

Sorry if I slightly block your view as I'm 6'4" :(
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: September 16, 2016, 11:13:05 AM »

I'll be there too! Can't wait for it, a little sad it's not Devin headlining but still going to be a blast!

Sorry if I slightly block your view as I'm 6'4" :(

How do you know he isn't headlining? That's very dissapointing for me.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1267 on: September 16, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »

Well, I'm not sure exactly, but moreso that I expected it be like it was Animals As Leaders where he doesn't get a massive full set like he would in the past and splits it with the other band.

I hope I'm wrong though!
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1268 on: September 16, 2016, 01:09:20 PM »
Yeah since BTBAM joined them this tour, his setlist was cut by a few songs. With 3 bands playing, 1 of which is playing an entire album, they're kind of strapped for time.

And Spoiler alert:

Don't expect an encore. For BTBAM or Devin.

I wish they'd drop Fallujah. That shit was horrible. Take them out and everybody could get a longer set + an encore.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: September 16, 2016, 01:34:45 PM »

Well, I'm not sure exactly, but moreso that I expected it be like it was Animals As Leaders where he doesn't get a massive full set like he would in the past and splits it with the other band.

I hope I'm wrong though!

I called the Playstation Theater, they didn't know set times yet but did confirm DTP is playing last. 

Also I think an encore or not depends on the timing of the show.  If it's going longer then no encore.  From setlist.fm it seems some shows did get an encore and some did not.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1270 on: September 16, 2016, 01:38:12 PM »
I wish they'd drop Fallujah. That shit was horrible. Take them out and everybody could get a longer set + an encore.[/size]

Their last album was fucking amazing.  :(

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: September 16, 2016, 01:46:56 PM »
I wish they'd drop Fallujah. That shit was horrible. Take them out and everybody could get a longer set + an encore.[/size]

If you like it good for you  :tup I was bored out of my mind hearing them live.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: September 16, 2016, 02:14:21 PM »

Agreed! Fallujah are great and I'm kinda sad I'm not seeing this tour.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #1273 on: September 16, 2016, 05:54:16 PM »

If you like it good for you  :tup I was bored out of my mind hearing them live.
They seemed out of place from my experience at the gig.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #1274 on: September 16, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »

As I mentioned in a previous post, their drummer was really good, but the unintelligible grizzly bear vocals killed it for me.
So, I headed out to the lobby after about two or three songs in.

After Devin's set was over, two members of Fallujah walked out of the plaza front door, and tried to walk back in about a minute later. They have a very strict
no re-entry policy there, and security was all over them like stink on shit. One of the band members yelled out "we're Fallujah, we're Fallujah!!". One of the security
guys said "you're WHAT?!?!", then a few fans came over to explain that they were the opening band. The security guy scolded them, and said "shit, why didn't
you just use the fucking back door!!"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: September 17, 2016, 02:55:23 PM »
Sick show last night!  When I was walking towards the venue there was an outdoor smoking area and I immediately noticed Beavis chilling.  I yelled at him, he acknowledged, but after I got inside, he also just walked in and we ended up riding the escalator together down into the main lobby.  We chatted about how awesome ProgPower was.  The band and crowd were pretty awesome.  I knew what to expect and they delivered.  After the show I went back to my hotel room which was one block away for a bit.  I went back out to grab some food and noticed the tour van had pulled in front of the venue so I walked over and saw a couple people who I met in the pit and they told me everyone has come out except Dev.  So I waited a couple minutes with them and there he came.

So here's the awesome part.  I got to tell told him a story.  When I saw him play last week in Atlanta, he said something to the crowd before Grace.  He said everyone do something nice for someone.  It didn't mean much at all when I heard it, but two nights later I drove up to Chattanooga for fun and stopped at a fried chicken spot in maybe not the greatest area of town.  After dinner I sat in my car and was setting my GPS when someone started screaming at me.  It was a homeless guy asking me to roll down my window.  He scared the crap out of me, but I rolled down the window slightly and he asked for some money for fried chicken.  I typically don't hand out, but the music was on in my car and it was the song Stars.  I remembered what Devin said.  I told the homeless guy to thank Devin and gave him 10 bucks.  Devin was so happy when I told him this story.  So we had to do thumbs up together.

Ziltoid Goes Home https://youtu.be/MhwMql4Ss5A

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1276 on: September 17, 2016, 03:46:27 PM »
Very cool!  :metal

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #1277 on: September 17, 2016, 04:30:27 PM »

Devin on a Friday night. In New York City.

Fuckin' aye, man. Fuckin' aye.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: September 20, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: September 20, 2016, 03:30:30 PM »

As my first Dev concert, it's not really what I would have wanted going in. I'm also not a fan of Z2, and maybe really like about half of Transcendence, but other than the Z2 songs I had a freaking blast.

As far as Fallujah goes, I remember liking their last album, but like most opening bands, they were way too loud, which produced a lot of unpleasant, unnecessary distortion where you couldn't make out much of what was going on.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1280 on: September 20, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
I'm honestly going for Coma Ecliptic, Devin is more of a bonus so any setlist he plays is fine by me.

Not looking forward to Fallujah, I'm really over that style of metal now.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1281 on: September 20, 2016, 05:25:12 PM »
I'm loving the new album a lot (big shock, I know :lol), but it's hard deciding which songs I like the best so far.  That's a good thing, as the whole thing sounds so good.

One minor quibble: the long fadeout/ambient ending of Transdermal Celebration.  Not sure why Devin feels the need so much nowadays to do that sort of thing (like with Awake and Before We Die, as well).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1282 on: September 20, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »
I'm loving the new album a lot (big shock, I know :lol), but it's hard deciding which songs I like the best so far.  That's a good thing, as the whole thing sounds so good.

One minor quibble: the long fadeout/ambient ending of Transdermal Celebration.  Not sure why Devin feels the need so much nowadays to do that sort of thing (like with Awake and Before We Die, as well).

I love when he does that. He does good ambient music, Project EKO. That ending is beautiful and is the real ending to the album.

But, how can you not like the ending.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: September 20, 2016, 07:24:17 PM »
You know what I take it back I really like Higher

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1284 on: September 20, 2016, 08:11:14 PM »

I love when he does that. He does good ambient music, Project EKO. That ending is beautiful and is the real ending to the album.

But, how can you not like the ending.

I don't not like the ending; I just think it feels a bit tacked on.  Devin does do ambient stuff well, but when it's stuck as the latter half of a song that is otherwise very different, it sometimes feels a bit odd.  Being a prog fan, I should be used to that, but when Devin does it, it doesn't always work, IMO.  The endings of The Fluke and Notes from Africa are two other good examples of "tacked on" endings that felt a bit unnecessary.

That all aside, Devin is still one of my musical gods whom I bow to without regret or shame. :biggrin: :metal

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #1285 on: September 20, 2016, 09:00:42 PM »

"Transdermal Celebration", for me, is very listenable, but is certainly not a favorite. Speaking of endings, I've seen a few reviews
with complaints about the ending of "From the Heart", which I don't understand at all. I like it a lot.

But overall, I can't praise this album enough. It exceeded my expectations big time, and I think "Stars" might be the somewhat overlooked gem
of the album.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1286 on: September 22, 2016, 05:18:27 AM »
I'm loving the 1, 2 punch of Monkey Mind/Canucklehead at the moment. The bonus disk is great.

I can't even decide if I like the main album or bonus disk more  ???

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1287 on: September 22, 2016, 07:28:35 AM »
Saw the concert in Columbus last night.

Fallujah were awesome, great performance.

BTBAM were disappointing live. WAY too fuckin loud. Also not the biggest fan of Coma Ecliptic anyway. They weren't very friendly at the meet and greet either. Overall, not a good appearence. Sorry guys :/

Devin and the band however more than made up for it with a perfect mix, awesome setlist, and stellar performance. Its amazing how Dev takes the time to give everyone in the first two rows and hug and a handshake after the last song. I'm sure if it was possible he'd make his way through the entire crowd and make sure that everyone there got at least 30 seconds of his time.

One of the best shows I've been to in a while.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: September 22, 2016, 01:55:46 PM »
One thing about BTBAM live that irked me is that Tommy Rogers does not know how to hold a goddamn microphone. He would put his whole hand over it when he screamed or sang, which cuts out a lot of bass frequencies that would have been picked up otherwise, so the screams didn't sound powerful, and you could barely make him out in the mix. Compared to Devin, who is playing guitar while he sings, and he comes through crystal clear because he's not obstructing the thing that's supposed to make him heard.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #1289 on: September 22, 2016, 04:26:27 PM »
I'm loving the 1, 2 punch of Monkey Mind/Canucklehead at the moment. The bonus disk is great.

I can't even decide if I like the main album or bonus disk more  ???

For me, it would be tough to pick one over the other, too. I guess I just consider them two different pieces of work with their own purposes.
Disc 1 is the more deep and emotive side, and disc 2 is more the fun side.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1290 on: September 22, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
One thing about BTBAM live that irked me is that Tommy Rogers does not know how to hold a goddamn microphone. He would put his whole hand over it when he screamed or sang, which cuts out a lot of bass frequencies that would have been picked up otherwise, so the screams didn't sound powerful, and you could barely make him out in the mix. Compared to Devin, who is playing guitar while he sings, and he comes through crystal clear because he's not obstructing the thing that's supposed to make him heard.
So many vocals who use guttural techniques do that and I'll never understand why. It doesn't take a degree in acoustics to know that doing that is going to muffle your sound.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: September 23, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »
The biography is now pushed back to December for North America -_-

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1292 on: September 24, 2016, 11:08:02 AM »
He'll be 3/4 of the way there by the time the book comes out