Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Offer Your Posts  (Read 229246 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coffee Loving Sock Puppet 2
« Reply #875 on: July 16, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »
Ocean Machine is a bit more of a tossup. Is has a pretty distinct late 90s metal style to the song writing, so if you like that sort of thing you'll probably enjoy it no problem.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #876 on: July 17, 2016, 02:26:59 AM »
I started with Ocean Machine back when it was released and while Devin has put out some great stuff (and a ltlle bit of not so great) since then, he nver was able to surpass OM, at least imo.

So I would recommend starting with Ocean Machine. But I don't know how much of it will be played live nowadays.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #877 on: July 17, 2016, 08:15:52 AM »
Honestly, I wouldn't put much thought into what he plays live when deciding what to listen to first and whatnot, considering a lot of his great stuff never gets played live (because he has so much material).

Ultimately, I think the easiest Devin records to digest for a new listener are Addicted, Epicloud, Synchestra and Ocean Machine.  This doesn't include two of my favorites, Terria (THE best) and Infinity.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #878 on: July 17, 2016, 02:25:38 PM »
Question: what is the deal with amazon saying the DVD and Blu-rays of Retinal Circus won't play in most players in the U.S.?  I, to my shame, had never gotten around to getting this, but I want to make sure what I buy will actually play (I use a PS3 to play everything).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: July 18, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »
Question: what is the deal with amazon saying the DVD and Blu-rays of Retinal Circus won't play in most players in the U.S.?  I, to my shame, had never gotten around to getting this, but I want to make sure what I buy will actually play (I use a PS3 to play everything).

I have the blu ray and have no issues playing it.  As far as I know, there are region codes for DVDs so your European DVDs might not play in the US and vice versa, but I was not aware of blu rays having the same thing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #880 on: July 18, 2016, 05:04:31 PM »
For the Retinal Circus Blu-ray on amazon, it says:

Playback Region B/2 :This will not play on most Blu-ray players sold in North America, Central America, South America, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia. Learn more about Blu-ray region specifications here

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: July 18, 2016, 06:02:34 PM »

I have the blu ray and have no issues playing it.  As far as I know, there are region codes for DVDs so your European DVDs might not play in the US and vice versa, but I was not aware of blu rays having the same thing.

They certainly do! Amazon is probably stocking the Omerch version. I'd recommend Discogs, eBay, or a US merch spot instead.

You could also try messaging another Amazon seller.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #882 on: July 18, 2016, 07:52:21 PM »
To reiterate, I use a PS3, so not sure how that factors into the whole regions thing.

Honestly, I find the whole thing really annoying. Shouldn't be this difficult in this day and age to buy a freaking DVD or Blu-ray of a live concert. :facepalm:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #883 on: July 18, 2016, 07:59:41 PM »
To reiterate, I use a PS3, so not sure how that factors into the whole regions thing.

Honestly, I find the whole thing really annoying. Shouldn't be this difficult in this day and age to buy a freaking DVD or Blu-ray of a live concert. :facepalm:

From what I know, the PS3 will play any region. So you should be fine. If it doesn't work, I will personally.......say sorry.

But yea, pretty sure you're good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #884 on: July 18, 2016, 10:21:25 PM »
don't underestimate Amazon's ability to mislabel merchandise.  I've purchased multiple blue rays with that exact note and they played just fine in my Oppo.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: July 19, 2016, 07:15:58 AM »
If I remember, Ill have to check my blu ray when I get home to see what it says.  I could have sworn I bought it on Amazon, but could be wrong.  I think it might even have one of the european stickers on it (so does my Sabaton and my Epica Blu-Rays, which play fine).

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #886 on: July 19, 2016, 01:11:42 PM »

I'm very late to the party with Devin Townsend. I remember his brief stint with Steve Vai, but never checked out anything he did after that.

I finally checked out some of his work earlier this year, and I'm a big fan now. He has some downright silly stuff I don't care for, but a lot of it is simply amazing and unique. I also
like the fact that a lot of his live performances of songs are even better than the studio versions. The studio version of "Deadhead", for example, is great, but the live version on the Royal Albert Hall DVD....holy shit.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: July 19, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »

OK, I finally got a chance to try it at home. I have: Ziltoid RAH book (BD & DVD discs labelled FSK 6, the German content rating system) and PS3 Superslim and it plays just fine – I'm in Canada, so it's a US region PS3.

With that said, I can't guarantee it'll work on any other type of PS3 beyond superslim, so if you have an older one, I dunno if the result will be the same.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #888 on: July 19, 2016, 05:26:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice, peeps. I will see what I can do about ordering the right one that works. :lol

I'm very late to the party with Devin Townsend. I remember his brief stint with Steve Vai, but never checked out anything he did after that.

I finally checked out some of his work earlier this year, and I'm a big fan now. He has some downright silly stuff I don't care for, but a lot of it is simply amazing and unique. I also
like the fact that a lot of his live performances of songs are even better than the studio versions. The studio version of "Deadhead", for example, is great, but the live version on the Royal Albert Hall DVD....holy shit.

:tup :tup

New fans are always a good thing!

What CDs are you liking the most?  Songs?

Online Adami

« Reply #889 on: July 19, 2016, 05:27:03 PM »
Like I said man, your PS3 should play anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #890 on: July 19, 2016, 05:32:13 PM »
Like I said man, your PS3 should play anything.

I hope you are right.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #891 on: July 19, 2016, 06:19:28 PM »
You know what song doesn't get talked about nearly enough?

True North

Amazing tune.  It's one of those songs that I can never not turn up as loud as possible.  The intro with Anneke singing is amazing, and then when Devin and the heaviness comes in, that is godly, not only because of the dynamic shift, but the fact that Anneke is belting it out in the background during the entire section when Devin first sings.  One of the most  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy moments of Devin's entire catalogue (which is overflowing with  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy moments!!).

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: July 19, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
Am I dreaming, or was there a posted Transcendence tracklist that had song lengths?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #893 on: July 19, 2016, 07:35:46 PM »
True North

That's because as good as the first half is, the second is kinda meh at best.

Online Adami

« Reply #894 on: July 19, 2016, 07:43:13 PM »
True North

Yea, I just went and relistened to it and I was like "yea this song rocks!" then the bridge or whatever came and I lost interest. But the first half really is glorious.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #895 on: July 19, 2016, 07:43:24 PM »
True North

This.
It starts off great but the second half doesn't fit in at all. It feels like an entirely different song that he tacked on just to make the song sound disjointed and proggy when in reality it ruins what could have been a great song.
Honestly, whenever I listen to Epicloud I skip True North and Lucky Animals entirely and go right into Liberation after Effervescent. IMO it flows much nicer and Liberation is a much better opening song.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #896 on: July 19, 2016, 07:59:47 PM »
This.
It starts off great but the second half doesn't fit in at all. It feels like an entirely different song that he tacked on just to make the song sound disjointed and proggy when in reality it ruins what could have been a great song.
Honestly, whenever I listen to Epicloud I skip True North and Lucky Animals entirely and go right into Liberation after Effervescent. IMO it flows much nicer and Liberation is a much better opening song.

Ugh. Liberation is the worst song on Epicloud, and one of Devin's worst overall.  :tdwn

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: July 19, 2016, 08:08:04 PM »
This.

Ugh. Liberation is the worst song on Epicloud, and one of Devin's worst overall.  :tdwn

I respectfully disagree :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #898 on: July 19, 2016, 08:09:38 PM »
I agree that the first half of True North is better than the second half, but the second half is still good, not to mention having that amazing ending, and the beginning is so awesome that I can deal with the rest of the song overall being merely really good.  :metal

As for Liberation, it's not one of my favorites from Epicloud, but it's still pretty great. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #899 on: July 20, 2016, 12:58:36 AM »
Epicloud sounds like a good album to listen to after I finish Falling Satellites.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Basekick

« Reply #900 on: July 20, 2016, 07:04:31 AM »

Whaaaaaa I LOVE Liberation. That chorus is so good!

ROCK, LET'S ROCK! THE TIME HAS COME TO FORGET ALL THE BULLSHIT AND ROCK!

"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: July 20, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »
This.

I respectfully disagree :tup

I agree with the disagree.  Liberation is a very solid song  :metal :metal

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #902 on: July 20, 2016, 01:34:56 PM »
Epicloud is his second best album imo.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: July 20, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »
I'm kinda surprised it's so well enjoyed here – it's a blur of suck, imo, except for a great EP starting at "Where We Belong" and ending with "Grace." I like most of the bonus disc way more because it's... I dunno, 'more Dev?' It's weirder and "Socialization" is an epic monster. I like it more than most of the main record.

I also thought both Z2 and Sky Blue made a barely great single album because they were so loaded with mehhhhh. So I really do hope the rest of Transcendence avoids "Stars" and gets weird and memorable like the quadrology and earlier.

Maybe it's because he wrote so strangely when he used to get high. I got into Dev via OM, Infinity, Terria and AE, so now that he's sorta moved into a different feel and approach I don't connect like I did. Yet I'd say the initial quadrology is his second peak after OM/I/Terria (and City + Alien). It's up and down, idk. Hard to qualify the massive discography.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #904 on: July 20, 2016, 05:39:51 PM »
Save Our Now is the best pop song I've ever heard.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #905 on: July 20, 2016, 05:47:48 PM »
Save Our Now is the best pop song I've ever heard.

Save Our Now is great, but I prefer Sky Blue out of the two very poppy songs on the last two records.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #906 on: July 20, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »
Epicloud is his second best album imo.

I can't go that high with it, but I think it's in the upper half.  And I do think it's a great starter CD for a new listener since you get a little bit of everything combined with great songwriting.

I'm kinda surprised it's so well enjoyed here – it's a blur of suck, imo, except for a great EP starting at "Where We Belong" and ending with "Grace." I like most of the bonus disc way more because it's... I dunno, 'more Dev?' It's weirder and "Socialization" is an epic monster. I like it more than most of the main record.

I disagree about Epicloud, but I'm with you in regards to the bonus disc (Epiclouder) being really good.  Heatwave is just pure joy to listen to, and I am a big fan of Little Pig, Happy Birthday, Woah No! and Socialization.

I also thought both Z2 and Sky Blue made a barely great single album because they were so loaded with mehhhhh.   

I honestly think Z2 might be as forgettable and blah as Physicist (really, the only two CDs of his I don't really care for).

A recent listen of Sky Blue gave me a new perspective about it. I still like it a lot, and every song is good, with many being quite good, but nothing on it is amazing or anything.  My favorites from it like Universal Flame, the title track and Rain City would have a tough time making my Devin top 50.

I will go with this for an updated album ranking:

1. Terria
2. Addicted
3. Infinity
4. Ocean Machine
5. Casualties of Cool
6. Epicloud
7. Ghost
8. Synchestra
9. Accelerated Evolution
10. Deconstruction
11. Ki (amazing that his 11th best record is THIS good)
12. Sky Blue
13. Ziltoid the Omniscient
14. Physicist
15. Z2

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: July 20, 2016, 08:26:53 PM »
My list has changed slightly from last time.

1. Ocean Machine: Biomech
2. Ghost
3. Ki
4. Terria
5. Accelerated Evolution
6. Casualties of Cool
7. Sky Blue
8. Infinity
9. Addicted
10. Epicloud
11. Deconstruction
12. Synchestra
14. Dark Matters
15. Physicist

And just for the hell of it, how do you guys rank the SYL albums?

1. City
2. Alien
3. SYL
4. The New Black
5. Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:33:09 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #908 on: July 21, 2016, 01:25:56 AM »

1. Terria
2. Ocean Machine: Biomech
3. Casualties of Cool
4. Ki
5. Deconstruction
6. Addicted
7. Accelerated Evolution
8. Infinity
9. Ghost
10. Epicloud
11. Sky Blue
12. Synchestra
14. Physicist
15. Dark Matters

SYL:

1. City
2. Alien
3. SYL
4. The New Black
5. Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #909 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:39 AM »
Oh boy..

1. Terria
2. Ki
3. Deconstruction
4. Ocean Machine: Biomech
5. Ghost
6. Ziltoid the Omniscient
7. Physicist
8. Addicted
9. Accelerated Evolution
10. Infinity
11. Epicloud
12. Dark Matters
13. Sky Blue
14. Synchestra

(Casualties is left off because I don't know it well enough)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey